test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Increase the maximum ec and the maximum ec to sell in exchange

cesitar257cesitar257 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
Well, that would be very incremental the maximum money that the game allows you (currently 2B EC) and the maximum price for which to sell things in exchange (currently 1.5B EC), since for the current market value of many items ( ships of RyD packs) has increased due to the increase in the cost of the boxes in the exchange and many times if you sell them for the maximum, 1.5B you are losing EC, since they are worth much more and you have to resort to direct trade with other players , which should not be necessary
Thank you for reading

All the best

sorry for my bad english
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    The last time they increased the EC cap, prices for promo ships plummeted which is a good thing. Having items listed on the exchange increases the transparency of pricing making it more difficult to gouge players. Since then, without any real EC sinks to speak of, EC inflation has continued to increase. As a result promo ship prices have finally inflated to the point that they are higher than exchange limits once again.

I would personally like to see Cryptic do some combination of EC sinks, EC generation nerfs (preferred option) or increase the cap again. The reason that I prefer a combination of these options is that I believe it gives us a solidly balanced approach to addressing EC inflation.

1: I have never seen anyone suggest an EC sink that convinced me of it's efficacy. But I would welcome any attempt yet I believe it would fail on it's own without any other factors. It would important to at least try because a successful sink would have the effect of draining EC from the system.

2: Nerfing the generation of EC is important too because a sink won't do much of anything if the amount of EC generated continues to overwhelm it which is what we see happening now. Using EC to buy trash from vendors, buy rep gear, and level fleets clearly isn't having much of an effect if any effect at all. I would like to see an across the board EC generation nerf. Admiralty, doffing vendor trash drops, TTG. EVERYTHING.

3: Increasing the EC cap on characters and the exchange is an option as well. In the past, I believe cryptic has said that there's some coding/programming barrier that makes raising it further much more difficult. However, if they don't want to nerf vendor trash and introduce sinks, raising the cap limits may be an option.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    What we could do with is a whole economy rework - GPL in the shows is used for what EC is used for in STO for example.

In any event, all increasing the EC/Exchange caps does is treat one symptom temporarily, you first have to deal with the inflation before adjusting the cap.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    While I wouldn't mind a use for GPL... we have to consider that the Federation itself doesn't really have a currency.
    IMO they should swap the currency of the Dilithium Store over to GPL, and throw in more cosmetics into that. Give us SOMETHING to do with these mountains of GPL. As it is... I'm building the Great Wall of China with mine... because I got nothing to do with it other than maybe play Dabo.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    The last time they increased the EC cap, prices for promo ships plummeted which is a good thing.
    Before, the exchange had a cap of 750m with a player cap of 1b.
    Now, the exchange has a cap of 1.5b with a player cap of 2b.

Nothing basically changed and promo ship prices definitely didn't plummet. The perspective just changed because both caps increased.

While there is inflation involved, especially with the endeavor system that can give close to 1m EC per higher-quality boxes if you're lucky, it still didn't change much and you're unlikely to find many promo ships on the exchange and most of this small number will be at the 1.5b cap. The only ones breaking the mold are the Tzen-Tar and the JH Recon Ship because they had lobi promotions, making them MUCH more accessible for a while.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    edited March 2021
    The last time they increased the EC cap, prices for promo ships plummeted which is a good thing.

Nothing basically changed and promo ship prices definitely didn't plummet. The perspective just changed because both caps increased.

Actually they did plummet. Connies were selling for around 1.8 billion EC because the exchange cap was 750M. With zero transparency in pricing, people could swindle buyers left and right. Once the exchange cap was raised to 1.5 billion, prices started to drop and settled around 1-1.1 billion EC for a long time. Since then, prices generally increased due to the 100% predictable inflation that's occurring 24/7.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Increase the exchange to 2-3 billion, increase the per-character cap to 3 billion.

Coming up with some EC sinks would also be nice to counteract inflation from the mountains of EC awarded by admiralty.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    I'm FINE with it just how it is.

I'm not entirely sure increasing the 2b, or 1.5b Exchange limit really solves that much. They could do 2.5b and 2b Exchange limit, yet I don't think this would solve anything, only make the problem larger myself.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    While I wouldn't mind a use for GPL... we have to consider that the Federation itself doesn't really have a currency.
    IMO they should swap the currency of the Dilithium Store over to GPL, and throw in more cosmetics into that. Give us SOMETHING to do with these mountains of GPL. As it is... I'm building the Great Wall of China with mine... because I got nothing to do with it other than maybe play Dabo.

I wished they'd spend a bit more time adding a few options for GPL myself. I mean I wouldn't expect anything huge, perhaps they'd maybe give us a new Planetside Ferengi Commission as maybe a last Fleet Holding. With a few options to do things with GPL, in addition to Fleet Credit's &/or DIL.
    0zxlclk.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Increase the exchange to 2-3 billion, increase the per-character cap to 3 billion.

Coming up with some EC sinks would also be nice to counteract inflation from the mountains of EC awarded by admiralty.

Agreed, an increase in both is badly needed.

As long as Cryptic keeps up with the 'always something on sale' methodology, the price of Zen and subsequently, the price of Keys will not decrease. The market goes as the price of Keys go and that means that prices are going to remain at their current level.

The good news is, the 500:1 Cap on the Dilithium Exchange should, in theory, create an artificial cap to the value of Keys meaning that prices shouldn't climb too much higher. The problem being, prices on 'big ticket' items like Promo Ships have settled at a value higher then the exchange can accommodate. If Cryptic isn't going to back off on the sales and promo's to allow the price of Zen to fall then they need to increase the EC Caps all around to accommodate.

Right now, Promo Ships are unavailable to most players, which sucks. From a financial sense, Cryptic wants promo ships on the exchange.. people will pay for keys to convert to EC to get those ships. They are losing potential dollars right now by not allowing the exchange to accommodate current market values. Market values that they themselves are responsible for.

Increase the caps!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited March 2021

The Federation actually does have a currency called "credits", which was referenced in TOS and is undoubtedly what EC is supposed to be. The thing is, in the Federation there is little hoarding since they are a classless society so things don't cost much, and the machines all recognize people so artificial credentials or carried hard currency are not needed.

Having a use for GPL beyond the "trade latinum for X" doff missions and party stuff too would be good though.

As for the caps, it is probably a variable max value issue, so raising it again could be complicated by having to change the variable type or whatever either in the code itself or the database so it may not be worth the time and effort something like that takes.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

How about a GPL vanity shield??, you melt it to create your vanity.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User

Actually they did plummet. Connies were selling for around 1.8 billion EC because the exchange cap was 750M. With zero transparency in pricing, people could swindle buyers left and right. Once the exchange cap was raised to 1.5 billion, prices started to drop and settled around 1-1.1 billion EC for a long time. Since then, prices generally increased due to the 100% predictable inflation that's occurring 24/7.

I don't recall, but even so that isn't what I'd call a "plummet" and soon enough they recovered and went beyond 1.8 billion and now even lock box ships are breaking the 1 billion mark, raising the cap only causes greater inflation.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    lianthelia wrote: »

I don't recall, but even so that isn't what I'd call a "plummet" and soon enough they recovered and went beyond 1.8 billion and now even lock box ships are breaking the 1 billion mark, raising the cap only causes greater inflation.

Hardcore players have a lot of EC, casual ones.. do not... for a time, i was kinda hardcore, and got a lot of EC, but now.. life and work, forces me to be more casual, and i dont get one third of wat i use to do.. if they keep moving the top, no one can get the ships, more so new players..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Personally, I think that most character-bound equipment should be unbound and available to sell on the exchange, even after equipping and using it. This includes things like reputation sets, mission reward sets, etc.

Frankly, I see no reason why things bind-on-pickup or bind-on-equip. If you decide you don't like the item, you should be able to try and sell it. The prices of these things will be dictated by the market. I imagine rep gear would sell pretty high due to the amount of time and resources needed to craft, and mission rewards would sell pretty low because they are easy to obtain. This would also give EC whales an option to not have to grind the rep for a new character if the only thing they want is the equipment. Non-EC whales can always just grind it out.

An alternative idea would be to replace the current injury system with an equipment degredation system, similar to many other MMOs where your equipment degrades upon use, with a large amount of degredation upon death. The EC sink would be the cost of repairing your equipment (can even make it scale based on level).
  • kosmi7kosmi7 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    I think increasing the cap would be bad only cz it is really hard for new players to get to 1.5b yet alone to more. There is need for something else to be done for inflation to get under control. Personally i don't think that any ship in the game should be more than 1.5b there is a lot of time and resources invested allready to get 1.5b yet alone to get past of that. No ship should be that much expensive.. That alone could scare new players to never continue game to play once they figure it out how much they need it. Either players will keep their ships and look for trade in value more than 1.5b or will post on exchange for 1.5b max in the end the demand will dictate it.

Raising the cap has nothing to do with inflation. Inflation is caused by people creating EC out of thin air. TTG, admiralty, endeavors, vendor trash etc.
    edited March 2021

Raising the cap has nothing to do with inflation. Inflation is caused by people creating EC out of thin air. TTG, admiralty, endeavors, vendor trash etc.

Yep, supply has increased greatly over the years, and demand has not. Cryptic has even removed minor EC sinks like tailor fees. The main ones left I can think of are training manuals, leveling reputations (once per character) and fleet projects.

The Exchange just moves EC from one player to another. No EC is destroyed since there are no auction fees.
    raising the cap only causes greater inflation.

Raising the cap has absolutely no impact on inflation. All it does is allow people to pay for things through the games interface instead of having to resort to trade channels.

Inflation is caused by the skyrocketing value of Zen, that is caused by Cryptic constantly having sales and promos on everything. The prices you see on the exchange are a result of that inflation, the exchange does not cause or decrease inflation.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Perhaps instead of raising the caps, they should (if this is coding-possible) "devalue" EC.

What I mean by that is... edit all the things that have costs in EC to say 1/100 of their current, and also all sources (if they want to deal with inflation at the same time, that could mean changing the sources by a larger number). The same reduction could be done to EC that players currently have.

Similarly to how some countries have revalued their currency - for example Mexico in the mid-1990s revalued to 1/1000 of previous, which meant the Mex/US exchange rate went from 3000:1 to 3:1.

This would allow prices (and player EC stockpiles) to continue to rise without needing to worry about the cap, even with cap at current values.

Changing everything that awards EC to award 1/10 or 1/100 sounds like more work than changing a 32-bit signed int into a 64-bit or unsigned, but who knows how many places in the code and database assume a 32-bit signed math.

Perhaps the exchange needs to switch to using quatloos, and players can swap their EC for quatloos at the 1/100 rate.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Perhaps instead of raising the caps, they should (if this is coding-possible) "devalue" EC.

What I mean by that is... edit all the things that have costs in EC to say 1/100 of their current, and also all sources (if they want to deal with inflation at the same time, that could mean changing the sources by a larger number). The same reduction could be done to EC that players currently have.

Similarly to how some countries have revalued their currency - for example Mexico in the mid-1990s revalued to 1/1000 of previous, which meant the Mex/US exchange rate went from 3000:1 to 3:1.

This would allow prices (and player EC stockpiles) to continue to rise without needing to worry about the cap, even with cap at current values.

They've done this before. IIRC, they cut the vendor EC price in half at one time since I've played. We're probably due for another 50% drop in vendor trash value.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    So... if I'm interpreting this right...decrease the vendor costs as well as decrease the amount we get from other sources?
    I don't see how that will help honestly.

Selling things to a vendor is already kinda iffy. And it doesn't address the ECs out in the wild already circulating.
    Imposing an Exchange fee that scales with the cost of the item might affect the prices on the Exchange, but not sure if players will try dropping the prices to decrease the amount of EC Tax, or raise the price to try and math out what they would normally get without the EC Tax.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    So... if I'm interpreting this right...decrease the vendor costs as well as decrease the amount we get from other sources?

Selling things to a vendor is already kinda iffy. And it doesn't address the ECs out in the wild already circulating.
    That's why it's only 1 aspect of a multi-pronged approach that I postulate above. This would slow down the creation of EC from this 1 single source. Since people are bragging about their 50+ alts, I'm assuming that admiralty is also a major contributor. This would need to be nerfed as well. Minimum 50% would be just fine. Endeavors would need a nerf too. Also at a 50% reduction. Just for the hell of it, cryptic can also nerf TTG too. A 50% nerf across the board will greatly slow down the amount of EC that is created out of thin air and will slow down the inflation process in the short term. You'd still need a sink to counter inflation for the long term.
    Imposing an Exchange fee that scales with the cost of the item might affect the prices on the Exchange, but not sure if players will try dropping the prices to decrease the amount of EC Tax, or raise the price to try and math out what they would normally get without the EC Tax.
    I've seen this suggested before but I'm skeptical of it and this is why. If the fee ends up being too small, then it won't be much of a sink at all. It won't serve it's basic intended function. And if the fee is high enough to actually serve it's intended function, then people will be incentivized to NOT sell their items on the exchange since they'll be losing EC. Then we're in a free for all of people trying to buy and sell anything of value in zone chat and channels. This would be a scammers paradise since there will be little to no price transparency through exchange competition.

Naturally prices would rise, and that's how the devs like it...higher prices mean more time spent grinding or more money spent to exchange for EC.
    I don't believe that altering vendor prices would really effect anything one way or another.

Most players make their money on keys, sources like drops and even admiralty are not as prevalent as people believe when it comes to EC generation. Most people use the 'tried and true' method, refine dilithium on multiple characters, convert the dilithium to Zen, use the Zen to buy keys, sell the keys.

The market moves with the price of keys. When lock box ships were 400-500M keys sold for 4-5M each. Lock box ships right now are going in the 900M range and keys are 9M a pop. The way you reduce prices on the exchange is to lower the cost of keys, the way you do that is to lower the value of Zen and Cryptic is not going to allow that. They used to take steps to regulate the economy, the biggest being waiting extended periods between promotions but that day is gone. Cryptic is in a state where there must always be some promo, sale or super pack being featured and that keeps the price of Zen high. It all starts on the Dilithium exchange, EC prices will decrease as the ratio moves further down from 500:1. Right now, 485 range is about the lowest you see it. If it went back down in the 400:1 range, prices on the exchange would plummet.

Nothing anyone does outside of allowing the value of Zen to decline will move the needle by any noticeable amount for any period of time. That is not going to happen so the only real help they can provide is to raise caps so that we don't have to use trade channels for things like promo ships.

Things look bad because you see these super high prices on the exchange, but the truth is, it isn't any harder now to get things then it was when they were half the price. You're paying twice the cost, but you make twice as much off the keys you sell. The problem is, the numbers have increased to where the current exchange can no longer accommodate them.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Lots of winning notifications, almost no offers on the exchange.

I felt kinda lucky when I was able to get my D7 there this weekend. I doubt I will be able to anymore during the next promo.

Raise personal ec cap to 3B
    Raise acc bank ec cap to 2B
    Raise exchange ec cap to 2B
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited March 2021
    I don't believe that altering vendor prices would really effect anything one way or another.

Most players make their money on keys, sources like drops and even admiralty are not as prevalent as people believe when it comes to EC generation. Most people use the 'tried and true' method, refine dilithium on multiple characters, convert the dilithium to Zen, use the Zen to buy keys, sell the keys.

It's not about how people acquire EC per se. It's about how EC itself is created. If you nerf the point at which the EC is created, then less EC in injected into the economy causing less EC inflation. More EC in the system leads to higher master key prices (in terms of EC) because more people have more EC to spend. Higher master key prices don't just magically cause more EC to exist. That's completely backwards.

Refining dil and converting it to zen creates ZERO EC. Grinding for drops, admiralty, tour the galaxy and endeavors is what creates EC.
    edited March 2021
    [Edit] - Nevermind.

If you think nerfing drops will make any difference, it's fine with me, go for it.

In the meantime.. the exchange cap should be raised.
    Always the rich looking for higher caps and they claim it will reduce prices...yet in the history of STO prices never go down for long...and always rise. We know the devs will never devalue zen....so we knows prices wont go down

So why not just be honest and admit you want higher caps so you can charge more, honesty would be refreshing!
This discussion has been closed.