test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Tetryon weapons idea

kosmi7kosmi7 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
Hi
Before i write the new idea i hope i didn't miss the section to post this and that i didn't duplicate the post, but searching the forum i didn't find any so i assumed that there were none in the recent future.

I was thinking about the new mechanics for new tetyron weapons. Lets say that the new ones would have same dmg as the old ones but with proc that would give constant % dmg or dmg % based on shield % to the enemy hull while shield that is taking dmg from those weapons is up. I don't think about bleedtrought that can bypass shields i am thinking about some kind of feed pulse from the enemy shields while taking shield dmg from tetryon weapons, that way with those weapons you would deal more dmg to the hull unlike with other type of weapons. After the shield are down or depleted(only the facing side) then proc would not be able to activate or work since as mentioned there is no shield facing the direction of tetryon fire.
I don't know math what was used for dmg balance so i gave rough idea(hope devs can make something of it) for those weapons to be able to get in same spot with phaser and disruptor weapons in popular spot. I like all the weapons in the sto but somehow for now i have feeling that only phasers and disruptors get all the love. I really would like to see more weapons in the game it would be much more fun in tfo seeing more and more different weapons and it would also make exchange more liver with new weapons instead of 3-4 types that are in the current meta.

Please write more idea if you have for this weapon type or critics.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    Procs got nerfed into uselessness years ago; they used to be per shot and are now per cycle, which means at best even with 8 weapons firing and maximum weapon haste you barely get one proc per minute, and none of the procs are worth paying attention to as they contribute so little.

Phaser and disruptor are favoured because of the amount of bonus damage thingies available, not for the proc. (although, like standard Antiproton, the fact that the various Linked Phaser/Disruptor weapons have fixed bonuses instead of procs does help)
  • kosmi7kosmi7 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Well it could be base instead of proc and have something else as proc. I leave that to devs since they know math for balance. My main point is that hull would be getting damaged harder as long as shield are up on the side that damage is received. Basically shields would be really bad if you go against tetyron weapons. No bonus when shields are down and bonus dmg on hull as some kind of feedback pulse while dealing dmg to the shields.
    Post edited by kosmi7 on
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    The two types of tetryons I'd like to see added are:

1.) Shield Stealers (they heal your shields for the damage they do)

2.) An added Kinetic Component (they do extra damage to the hull once they've burned through the shields)

That said, I'm way more interested in more tetryon damage bonuses(sets, uni consoles, whatever) being added to the game at this point(and better support for cannons). If it comes with a new tetryon type; great.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    szerontzur wrote: »
    The two types of tetryons I'd like to see added are:

1.) Shield Stealers (they heal your shields for the damage they do)

2.) An added Kinetic Component (they do extra damage to the hull once they've burned through the shields)

That said, I'm way more interested in more tetryon damage bonuses(sets, uni consoles, whatever) being added to the game at this point(and better support for cannons). If it comes with a new tetryon type; great.

#2 would probably be a Ferasan thing, since they're the ones who developed Tetryon-Infused Railguns (and thus apparently, the duelist weapon from PvPRep by extension) according to Jayce's Navy Interstellar #8.

As for new tetryon variants, I'd like to see one that's basically the opposite of the passive effect on the Terran Rep set weapon - I. E. instead of doing more damage the lower the target's health gets, it starts off doing extra (shield-penetrating) damage that slowly decreases as shield health drops for that target until it settles into normal levels of damage for that particular weapon's rank/rarity. Such a weapon with a passive effect like that wouldn't be any more or less effective against targets with little-to-no shields (like some Borg targets in certain Borg TFOs) than a regular tetryon weapon is currently, but they'd pack a nice punch against enemies with large amounts of shields or particularly strong shield resistance...like Tzenkethi.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Lovely ideas!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd like to see phased tetryon weapons in the game again, maybe utilized for a NPC faction ans be achievable again. I liked those, pretty teal and straight beams instead of wobbly ones.

Tetryon torpedoes would also be a good idea.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • hylia#6092 hylia Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    Hmm i like this idea mate maybe one day we will see it!!!
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

There's already a Tetryon Energy torpedo. It's called the Advanced Diffusive Tetryon Torpedo Launcher, and it's from the Lobi store.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I'd like to see phased tetryon weapons in the game again, maybe utilized for a NPC faction ans be achievable again. I liked those, pretty teal and straight beams instead of wobbly ones.

There's already Phased Tetryon energy weapons & a Tetryon Torpedo.

The Torpedo is part of the Tzenkethi space equipment set.

The Phased Tetryon weaponry is part of the Tholian & Infinity weapon boxes.

What Cryptic could & should do imo is make this type of weaponry more accessible.

If you own a ship that comes with standard "specialized" weaponry then allow it to unlock the possible purchase of that type of weaponry via the dilithium store as an example along with the specific & Infinity lockboxes.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Resonating Tetryon isn't bad, tho the modifier lottery is a pita when upgrading. IIRC re-engineering can get expensive quick.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Resonating Tetryon isn't bad, tho the modifier lottery is a pita when upgrading. IIRC re-engineering can get expensive quick.

I have Piercing Tetryon on my Xyfius instead, thought about Resonating, & it does good dps, but you're too true about the re-engineering lottery gamble. Cryptic went ahead & made it look like a slot machine too. lol
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,712 Community Moderator
    This could be accomplished easily enough by just upping the proc's effect to shields in game with far less code. The proc itself from regular tetryon is fine, it just needs a buff. I wouldn't mind seeing some bigger tetryon boosts as a whole, but I don't see procs as being the way to go strictly. They can help but with them being per cycle you would need a high proc chance.

Procs were changed from per shot to per cycle as you were seeing some insane effects from certain procs. Coalition Disruptors were able to stack in some instance a -200 disruptor damage resist or more. It also added a ton of additional calculations per shot.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    > @foppotee#4552 said:
    > There's already Phased Tetryon energy weapons & a Tetryon Torpedo.
    >
    > The Torpedo is part of the Tzenkethi space equipment set.
    >
    > The Phased Tetryon weaponry is part of the Tholian & Infinity weapon boxes.
    >
    > What Cryptic could & should do imo is make this type of weaponry more accessible.
    >
    > If you own a ship that comes with standard "specialized" weaponry then allow it to unlock the possible purchase of that type of weaponry via the dilithium store as an example along with the specific & Infinity lockboxes.

I didn't know about the torpedo as I don't keep track of Lobi items (too expensive Single claim) but I know phased tetryon exists but it's barely accessible any more because the infinity weapon boxes are bound. If at least they were phoenix box weapons...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    > @foppotee#4552 said:
    >
    >
    >
    > What Cryptic could & should do imo is make this type of weaponry more accessible.
    >
    > If you own a ship that comes with standard "specialized" weaponry then allow it to unlock the possible purchase of that type of weaponry via the dilithium store as an example along with the specific & Infinity lockboxes.

I didn't know about the torpedo as I don't keep track of Lobi items (too expensive Single claim) but I know phased tetryon exists but it's barely accessible any more because the infinity weapon boxes are bound. If at least they were phoenix box weapons...

I agree about the Lobi items being expensive & restrictive.

I wish Cryptic would rearrange that Infinity lockbox now since it's so bloated with small items & make those weapon packs not a random gamble too.

It was a gamble & loss of a big prize just to get the weapon pack then another gamble to get a weapon you want? Cryptic should make the weapon packs selectable to choose the weapon a player wants.

You're correct though making them more accessible would be a positive so Cryptic probably won't do it unless behind another paywall like they did the Corrosive Plasma.
    > @foppotee#4552 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Well the idea was to put new tetryon with new visuals and new mechanics in order to get more players to use it like sensor-linked phasers or other kind. Lets say from lock box and therefore players could buy it from the exchange.
    kosmi7 wrote: »
    > @foppotee#4552 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Well the idea was to put new tetryon with new visuals and new mechanics in order to get more players to use it like sensor-linked phasers or other kind. Lets say from lock box and therefore players could buy it from the exchange.

Well if Cryptic has such desires then places such things behind paywalls Cryptic should expect diminished results then. No one wants to spend inflated-earn currency like Lobi on a newly released weapon/set then it turns out to be a dud. Add it in through missions/events or something accessible to all then any such new mechanics will be better tested & tried out.
    Dil store would also work. You had to 'earn' it too, but not gamble for it. If we just could pull upgradable Mark Infinity (scaling to XII) ones from the dil store (and of the weapon type we desire, not random ones) it'd help greatly.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    Dil store would also work. You had to 'earn' it too, but not gamble for it. If we just could pull upgradable Mark Infinity (scaling to XII) ones from the dil store (and of the weapon type we desire, not random ones) it'd help greatly.

I agree. Have it like the other ship specific specialized weapons that can be bought via ship then bought from the dilithium store: Spiral Wave, Andorian Phaser, Lethean Disruptor, Dewan Plasma, & the Advanced Disruptors & Phasers. I'm probably missing one or two.
    > @foppotee#4552 said:
    > Well if Cryptic has such desires then places such things behind paywalls Cryptic should expect diminished results then. No one wants to spend inflated-earn currency like Lobi on a newly released weapon/set then it turns out to be a dud. Add it in through missions/events or something accessible to all then any such new mechanics will be better tested & tried out.

I was thinking from lock box not lobi. Like sensor-linked phasers thise can be both for 2-5 m from the exchange. The mission ones would be nice like one unique new type that give some bonus that would dedine tetryon realy nice... Like only good weapons with really good procs or bonuses comes behind lock box or lobi so i think if they add some good tetryon type in the game would be fair to give some investmwnt into that.
    > @angrytarg said:
    > Dil store would also work. You had to 'earn' it too, but not gamble for it. If we just could pull upgradable Mark Infinity (scaling to XII) ones from the dil store (and of the weapon type we desire, not random ones) it'd help greatly.

That works too. That way it would be locked behind the ship. Now i only dislike that idea because it can come with lock box ship like advance phasers(i really want those but can't get it with my 0 luck...) . It would be more achivable and i think cheaper to get from the exchange as other people sell it.
    edited March 2021
    > @kosmi7 said:
    > > @angrytarg said:
    > > Dil store would also work. You had to 'earn' it too, but not gamble for it. If we just could pull upgradable Mark Infinity (scaling to XII) ones from the dil store (and of the weapon type we desire, not random ones) it'd help greatly.
    >
    > That works too. That way it would be locked behind the ship. Now i only dislike that idea because it can come with lock box ship like advance phasers(i really want those but can't get it with my 0 luck...) . It would be more achivable and i think cheaper to get from the exchange as other people sell it.

But the exchange is not reliable, supply dries out and the weapon you want may only be listed for 10 million or above. I'd rather not depend on other players with that. I wouldn't tie the weapons to the ship either, because what is the point? The weapon visuals for hundreds of dollars? (Advanced phasers are c-store weapons, in the big anni bundle for 200 or so).

They could put the dil store weapon unlock in the Mudd store as well, thpugh I personally wouldn't pay more than 1000 Zen for a cosmetic weapon unlock that comes with additional dil costs. And they are mostly cosmetics, procs are neglible since they nerfed them to work 'per cycle'.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    It's not going to happen, but with weapons for so many different encounter groups in the game, I wish they would just add non-proc versions of weapons to mobs as drops. It'd make fighting Son'a, for example, more interesting/compelling if you had a chance of getting their unique weapon visuals by killing them. Or, run around killing voth for a chance of getting their guns. It's already a thing with the Discovery weapons; limit the lockbox visuals to captain/battleship+ mobs if needed. It might even be a way for us to finally get upgradeable Herald torpedos.

Alternatively, add rare 'recipe' items to weapon packs that let you craft them in that visual style. It'd open up a new market for a lot of those older lockbox weapons that have all-but-vanished from the exchange.
    edited March 2021
    > @kosmi7 said:
    > > @angrytarg said:
    > > Dil store would also work. You had to 'earn' it too, but not gamble for it. If we just could pull upgradable Mark Infinity (scaling to XII) ones from the dil store (and of the weapon type we desire, not random ones) it'd help greatly.
    >
    > That works too. That way it would be locked behind the ship. Now i only dislike that idea because it can come with lock box ship like advance phasers(i really want those but can't get it with my 0 luck...) . It would be more achivable and i think cheaper to get from the exchange as other people sell it.

But the exchange is not reliable, supply dries out and the weapon you want may only be listed for 10 million or above. I'd rather not depend on other players with that. I wouldn't tie the weapons to the ship either, because what is the point? The weapon visuals for hundreds of dollars? (Advanced phasers are c-store weapons, in the big anni bundle for 200 or so).

They could put the dil store weapon unlock in the Mudd store as well, thpugh I personally wouldn't pay more than 1000 Zen for a cosmetic weapon unlock that comes with additional dil costs. And they are mostly cosmetics, procs are neglible since they nerfed them to work 'per cycle'.

If the weapons are wanted and selling good then mk XII will never go to high only re-engineered ones will go to high price due to high dil cost to upg. And as long as there is high demand for the new weapons people will put them on the exchange. But bear in mid that only good weapons with stats (i am not consindering visuals) can only be equiped per one of that type on the ship. And any other good weapon with good stats is lock box or loby or ship exclusive... With stats we sugested here i think it will min be behind lockbox.
    Post edited by kosmi7 on
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,823 Arc User

This could be accomplished easily enough by just upping the proc's effect to shields in game with far less code. The proc itself from regular tetryon is fine, it just needs a buff. I wouldn't mind seeing some bigger tetryon boosts as a whole, but I don't see procs as being the way to go strictly. They can help but with them being per cycle you would need a high proc chance.

Procs were changed from per shot to per cycle as you were seeing some insane effects from certain procs. Coalition Disruptors were able to stack in some instance a -200 disruptor damage resist or more. It also added a ton of additional calculations per shot.

Tetryon flat out needs better procs....

The shield drain is rather weak because some targets just die before their shields are even stripped down...and some targets don't have shields at all.

Easily probably the worst proc in the game short of standard or kelvin phaser procs (But who cares about procs when you have so many phaser damage boosts?)
This discussion has been closed.