test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

📢 The Reddit/Twitter dev tracker thread 📢

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Considering how quick that was I think it's more likely that the original picture was using the wrong weapons.

Yea... they did look a lot like Isolytic Plasma Beams.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Interesting no patch notes posted yet.

I was wondering if Cryptic was finally going to re-introduce those newest Q's Winter Wonderland manuals & modules with this patch.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

I was wondering if Cryptic was finally going to re-introduce those newest Q's Winter Wonderland manuals & modules with this patch.

They weren't posted on this forum until close to 3AM ET. Nothing really not worthy in them.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »

They weren't posted on this forum until close to 3AM ET. Nothing really not worthy in them.

Something that IS noteworthy is what's missing from them. Bort announced last night on the stream that while working on the Janeway he also went in and made several improvements to the Command Spec as a whole, but none of them are in the patch notes.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

Something that IS noteworthy is what's missing from them. Bort announced last night on the stream that while working on the Janeway he also went in and made several improvements to the Command Spec as a whole, but none of them are in the patch notes.

Either it's a stealth buff or not in the build being pushed. Then again, it could easily be a copy and paste error by Kael. :P
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Looking at my Boff having the abilities, I see no changes in stats and cooldowns when in social zones. Dunno about the amount of progress made in battle for each ability used, though.

So likely not for this patch.

EDIT: OK, watching the video but "we changed Emergency Artillery's cooldown from 90sec to 60sec" is enough proof for me to know the changes didn't happen. It's still at 90sec. Then Overwhelm Emitters' effects didn't get doubled.

And Kael just playing with vanity shields instead of showing the command abilities to either show the improvements (if they were made) or to show the differences is greatly annoying me in that video.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I don't think the changes were made for that video. They were talking about changes because of the Janeway class getting them to look over the Command Spec again.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't think the changes were made for that video. They were talking about changes because of the Janeway class getting them to look over the Command Spec again.

I'll have to watch the VOD again when I get off of work, but I'm pretty sure Bort said the changes were coming with the Janeway and suggested that they would be listed in this morning's patch notes. I'm cool with it needing to be delayed for some reason, I just wish Kael would have mentioned that with the patch notes since that was a big reveal last night (though he wasn't really paying attention to what Bort was saying, as saurializard said he chose to show off some of the vanity shields at that time instead).
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Yea... I think they did say the changes were coming with the Janeay, but I guess something came up.

Thanks jcsww, I saw nothing drastic which sometimes is a good thing I suppose.
    Kael made a surprising reveal at the end of the stream tonight, towards the end of 2021 we'll be getting a T6 Steamrunner!
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineAnimatedRaccoonDoubleRainbow-n5XN_0Ae5mNHFgUM
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Hopefully alongside a complete overhaul/bugfixing of tricobalt weapons for that proper Armada feel...but I doubt it.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Kael made a surprising reveal at the end of the stream tonight, towards the end of 2021 we'll be getting a T6 Steamrunner!

That seems quite far off. I am looking forward to having a T6 Steamrunner but this game makes me think T7 is just around the corner, rendering it obsolete before anyone can truly appreciate it.
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I saw console versions of the game gave Caitians and Ferasan long hair finally, when are we PC Players going to get them? :)
    0he9rXF.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    trekhead wrote:

At the time that the pandemic hit, Cryptic still had a very centralized work culture. You just didn't work from home. (In 2012 I suffered a very bad leg injury and was hospitalized for a month and then spent two months having to learn how to walk again, and while I was lucid and functional, the company just kept me on leave and didn't set me up to work at home until the very end of my recovery.) Managers worried that if people were allowed to stay home, they'd just slack off and not finish their assigned tasks. In addition, the IT department still had to deal with security issues. Attempts at hacking our network are a constant threat, because crackers out there are always trying to get into any database that has credit card info or proprietary software. Thus our IT team was very leery of the possibility of man-in-the-middle attacks that could be carried out against someone working remotely, especially since not everyone is an expert in internet security—we have artists, HR personnel, writers, and so on who use computers routinely but aren't high-skill technical professionals who can judge how to make a perfectly secure internet environment.

When the pandemic shut us down, we basically had two choices. One, figure out some way to get everyone up and running again ASAP. Two, shut the company into maintenance mode, furlough most of the team, and keep a tiny critical staff to keep the games limping along with no updates until the pandemic ended.

Cryptic leadership chose plan #1, and our IT department figured out a way for us to secure our internet structure so that people could work from home. Management found that (to the surprise of those who thought folks would just be lazy) people still needed things to do to keep them busy, to feel like they were contributing somehow or doing something productive during the pandemic, or just challenges to tackle to keep their minds busy, and though individuals varied in the kinds of hurdles they had to deal with, our teams were resilient and our team-members motivated. We were able to adjust to videoconference meetings, distributed workflow, and schedule shifts to accommodate people who had to care for children or relatives, folks with restrictive home environments, or even people who wound up not living anywhere near the rest of the team any more.

​

The whole shift wasn't without its challenges. Many people felt the increased stress from the pandemic and this put extra pressure on our communications and teamwork. Learning to use new remote tools was a curve, and there were specific drawbacks that we had to accommodate; this often slowed down workflow. Producers and managers had to accept that our schedules were going to shift and we wouldn't always be able to complete everything we wanted to do. The company as a whole worked hard to give people tools to deal with these problems.

​

A year in and there are still challenges to our workflow, though we have established a sort of "new normal" and as shown by our continued releases we're able to keep working on our games. The fact that Cryptic is now embracing the work-from-home structure is an exciting time, as team members have the possibility of moving to places where they can be with family or just escape from the difficult housing prices of the area. Since the company's retaining a base of operations, people who like going to an office to work and/or socialize will be able to do so once the pandemic ends.

All in all, it's been a definite learning curve, but while it has been hard on our teams, it's also come with some benefits and with some new resilience.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/m2r1rd/geko_posts_about_the_teams_experience_dealing/gqlf0pd/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Oh thanks for sharing that, evilmark444

I think it looks good even at that progressive stage

I just wonder how much "fluff" will be included with it to make it a $50-$60 ship pack lol

Oh thanks for sharing that, evilmark444

I think it looks good even at that progressive stage

I just wonder how much "fluff" will be included with it to make it a $50-$60 ship pack lol

There probably won't be any fluff, there's nothing particularly iconic about the Steamrunner so it should just be a normal C-Store release, though it'll probably have either a cross faction or ships of the line bundle option.as well.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    The changes to Command abilities were very welcome. Not perfect (like the command progression still being slow and some abilities not affecting it, emergency artillery still underwhelming, or subspace interception still often being activable despite having no valid targets), but it's a step in the right direction.
    trekhead wrote:
    Managers worried that if people were allowed to stay home, they'd just slack off and not finish their assigned tasks.
    [...]
    Management found that (to the surprise of those who thought folks would just be lazy) people still needed things to do to keep them busy, to feel like they were contributing somehow or doing something productive during the pandemic, or just challenges to tackle to keep their minds busy, and though individuals varied in the kinds of hurdles they had to deal with, our teams were resilient and our team-members motivated. We were able to adjust to videoconference meetings, distributed workflow, and schedule shifts to accommodate people who had to care for children or relatives, folks with restrictive home environments, or even people who wound up not living anywhere near the rest of the team any more.
    [...]
    Producers and managers had to accept that our schedules were going to shift and we wouldn't always be able to complete everything we wanted to do. The company as a whole worked hard to give people tools to deal with these problems.
    And those people are in charge of other people...

Even people who are introverted or know introverted people know humans can't stay without stimuli (and not simply the 'gaming, playing, chatting and overall being a lazy no-life' kind) for long before starting to get mentally affected, even if they've been "alone" most of their life. So imagine employees in the video game industry...

I'd like to hope those events will help managers, producers, HR, etc. re-evaluate their views on how to treat employees, but well, I don't expect it to stick.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1

Maybe she'll do some VO for the game one day :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Maybe she'll do some VO for the game one day :)

She very well could "break that ceiling" I think is the saying pertaining to Star Trek captains in STO. I wouldn't want her to be short-changed though for breaking the barrier & being the first neither. I'd enjoy them all (episode series captains) doing parts in STO myself.

When Cryptic announced the ship I even found some a video on YouTube, new to me & it was recommended which is a bit creepy, about Captain Janeway's statue in Bloomington, Indiana which I thought was sort of cool.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Considering Tu'vok has the Voyager now, I'm not sure if there'd be a particularly interesting/exciting role for her character in the Prime Universe now. The Mirror Universe, however, I could definitely see Mirror-Janeway going on a rampage as she pillages the Delta Quadrant. It could probably be tied into the return of Mirror-Leeta somehow(reinforcements from the Delta Quadrant or something).

Plundering the Krenim for their temporal technology; Stealing Voth Phasic Cloaking tech; Developing Fluidic Energy Lances from dissecting 8472/Undine ships; Rapid regenerative armor/shields from Borg; 'improving' agony/enslavement tech with Devore anti-telepath systems; and the list goes on..

Mirror Temporal Science Destroyer Intrepid, anyone?
    edited March 2021
    Thomas revealed on Twitch that he's working on a bit of a quality pass on a few of the older T6 ships, adding a bit more detail and such, with a new Type 7A material to go along with it as the new "canon" 2409 Starfleet ship look. Not all ships will be getting a quality pass, and not all ships will get the new material due to the work involved. He showed an updated Reliant with the work-in-progress Type 7A material, and said he will be starting work on a quality pass for the Andromeda tomorrow.

twitch.tv/thomasmarrone

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/949891156?t=01h14m29s
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Considering Tu'vok has the Voyager now, I'm not sure if there'd be a particularly interesting/exciting role for her character in the Prime Universe now. The Mirror Universe, however, I could definitely see Mirror-Janeway going on a rampage as she pillages the Delta Quadrant. It could probably be tied into the return of Mirror-Leeta somehow(reinforcements from the Delta Quadrant or something).

Plundering the Krenim for their temporal technology; Stealing Voth Phasic Cloaking tech; Developing Fluidic Energy Lances from dissecting 8472/Undine ships; Rapid regenerative armor/shields from Borg; 'improving' agony/enslavement tech with Devore anti-telepath systems; and the list goes on..

Mirror Temporal Science Destroyer Intrepid, anyone?

Janeway could put her flag on Voyager without dislodging Tu'vok, or on an entirely new ship. Vice Admirals do not directly command ships, captains do. She could lead a dispersed task force of which the player's ship is part of quite easily on some wide ranging mission for instance (or at least something that runs for the two scenarios, a TFO, and a few patrols that seems to be the typical thing now anyway).
    reyan01 wrote: »

Quite pleased about this one, personally. I've always rather enjoyed that TFO.

I didn't like it initially because of all the turrets & their interruptions. I wouldn't dare participate in it unless I was piloting a cloaking ship. Nowadays I still prefer a cloaking ship but it's manageable without too.
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Any news on any Caitian Long Hair options? :)
    0he9rXF.png
    edited March 2021

Because the question came up a lot on the stream, I'm gonna add that there currently are not any plans to make any bridge interiors with these assets, the devs are only building these new interior pieces for future missions and such.
    eaY7Xxu.png