test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Junior Officer & R&D Weekend

Didn't see it posted under the Galactic News Network (GNN) thread nor here for the weekend so:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11484773

I'd suggest this part for any new KDF recruits:

Receive a FREE* special Purple quality duty officer with a unique active roster power by speaking with your duty officer contact. For Starfleet officers and Romulan allies, this is an engineering Exocomp duty officer; for KDF officers and Romulan allies, it is a Reman duty officer.

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    This event will always remind me of the ridiculous clusterflub that happened with the unique Romulan DOff that was never released because they forgot to add the NPC giving it for the Romulan Republic, and instead of adding the NPC on the map and apologizing for this easy-to-correct mistake, they tried to act like the Doff was a collective hallucination/never intended to be released.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    ...still think the trace quantity needed for a VR doff reward is double what it should be. The time investment for the reward just isn't 'eventful' compared to other sources of doffs.
    This event will always remind me of the ridiculous clusterflub that happened with the unique Romulan DOff that was never released because they forgot to add the NPC giving it for the Romulan Republic, and instead of adding the NPC on the map and apologizing for this easy-to-correct mistake, they tried to act like the Doff was a collective hallucination/never intended to be released.

I usually do it at least once for each of my toons as a rite of passage type of thing but after that I don't touch it neither. it just isn't worth the hassle with the randomness of the rewarded DOFF. If that rewarded DOFF ever changed to an option I'd be more tempted to grind it out.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    ...still think the trace quantity needed for a VR doff reward is double what it should be. The time investment for the reward just isn't 'eventful' compared to other sources of doffs.

I mean it's always been there and if you focus can finish in about 20-25 minutes. Though realize you can run on every Character once every 20h so it's still very Generous.

And while not all run it regularly, I will be sure to visit on my Ferasan TAC KDF & also on my more recent KDF Recruit a Discovery Klingon. As the first time everyone runs it you earn a special Very Rare one relatively quick. I also like the Recruitment for the bonus R&D to be run over those weekends.
    0zxlclk.png
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    My Fed allied Reman captains doesn't want no TRIBBLE exocomp! He wants his Reman brother to join his crew!

Plus, hasn't ST:P established that Romulans really don't like AI? So why would a Republic captain want an exocomp on their ship? ST:LD established that modern exocomps are basically AI.
    garaffe wrote: »
    My Fed allied Reman captains doesn't want no TRIBBLE exocomp! He wants his Reman brother to join his crew!

Plus, hasn't ST:P established that Romulans really don't like AI? So why would a Republic captain want an exocomp on their ship? ST:LD established that modern exocomps are basically AI.

Good point about the Romulans not fond of AI & the Exocomp continuity difference.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2021
    I admit though sometimes I pause if temporarily, but often after no particles materialize over 5-10x attempts. So sometimes it can take far closer to 45-55 minutes, far more than my best times of 20-25; as that takes a lot of good luck!

Often I loose the Cadet's at least once, so always try to go back and Claim one to ensure the Class of DOFF I get. Perhaps Cadet's only spawn for 30 minutes...

Still I try to do it on maybe 1, 2, or maybe 3 character's at most, yet reserve for those who need better Duty Officers.

75 can take a little while depending how focused you are, yet it's been this way since launch and many still participate.

My Ferasan toon I created 8-9 months ago who hadn't been to the Academy yet got his Very Rare Reman Maintenance Engineer for showing up. Then he managed to get lucking with SCI getting a Nausicaan Research Lab Scientist, though his attributes weren't the best, I mostly make good use of him doing Research to upgrade his R&D skills.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,438 Arc User

Good point about the Romulans not fond of AI & the Exocomp continuity difference.

I thought it was the Zhat Vash who had that problem not all Romulans.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User

Yeah, if the Doffs were actually special or interesting in any way, I could see the sense in making it so time consuming. But they're pretty basic.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Has anyone been able to get the Reman DOFF at the KDF academy this round? I did not see the NPC there that gives him out.
    edited March 2021
    sthe91 wrote: »

ALL Romulans had problems with AI. That is a known fact. Any attempt at discrediting the Romulan science's unanimous consensus is xenophobic anti-Romulan propaganda.*

Editorial note: This info was sponsored at disruptor-point by the Zhat Vash.

HELP!
    #TASforSTO

ALL Romulans had problems with AI. That is a known fact. Any attempt at discrediting the Romulan science's unanimous consensus is xenophobic anti-Romulan propaganda.*

HELP!

Could you give me a source for all Romulans have problems with AI instead of being sarcastic?
    Has anyone been able to get the Reman DOFF at the KDF academy this round? I did not see the NPC there that gives him out.

I was able to snag, Kazan, for my new KDF recruit no prob.. Just have to go to the Gorn guy nearby 1st then to that "Laroj" a few steps down. Good luck.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

HELP!

Could you give me a source for all Romulans have problems with AI instead of being sarcastic?

I don't think it is fair to say that all Romulans hate AI, but it was established in ST:P that the Zhat Vash feared what AI could become, and as such would go after anyone who had anything to do with AI. I believe that this fear would have permeated Romulan society due to the impunity under which the Zhat Vash operated, making any sensible Romulan want nothing to do with AI for fear of being targeted by the Zhat Vash.

All supposition, but it makes sense provided that the Zhat Vash are still around in the STO universe.

HELP!

I'm interested in this too now that you've brought it up. Is it all Romulans? Is it just the Zhat Vash? Is it some number of Romulans influenced by the Zhat Vash? The devil is probably in the details so the wording will become important. Haven't located any "facts" yet but I thought I remembered when this initially came up something to the effect of it being Romulans because there was discussion abut continuity then even addressing TNG. It'll be interesting to finally find a factual conclusion or read the cited references.

I don't think it is fair to say that all Romulans hate AI, but it was established in ST:P that the Zhat Vash feared what AI could become, and as such would go after anyone who had anything to do with AI. I believe that this fear would have permeated Romulan society due to the impunity under which the Zhat Vash operated, making any sensible Romulan want nothing to do with AI for fear of being targeted by the Zhat Vash.

All supposition, but it makes sense provided that the Zhat Vash are still around in the STO universe.

I'm interested in this too now that you've brought it up. Is it all Romulans? Is it just the Zhat Vash? Is it some number of Romulans influenced by the Zhat Vash? The devil is probably in the details so the wording will become important. Haven't located any "facts" yet but I thought I remembered when this initially came up something to the effect of it being Romulans because there was discussion abut continuity then even addressing TNG. It'll be interesting to finally find a factual conclusion or read the cited references.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibwX2CbIYk

Please, read the spoilers, folks...
    #TASforSTO
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    My Discovery Character did a Weekend and managed to pick up 4 VR Doffs in addition to the Exocomp. Never again. At least my Klingon Recruit got the MaIntenance Doff.

As far as that Romulan 'special' Doff, T'Ress Maintenance Doff from Commander Rojal for the Junior Officers Appreciation Weekend Event in the New Romulus Command.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/8j590a/have_you_seen_me/
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibwX2CbIYk

Please, read the spoilers, folks...

I read the spoilers and still do not understand your comment when you said it. So no facepalm.
    I read the spoilers and still do not understand your comment when you said it. So no facepalm.
    That's called a joke, I wrote this as if Zhat Vash agents were threatening to kill me if I didn't say every Romulan shared their extremist beliefs which wasn't mentioned in the canon IIRC.
    #TASforSTO
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    That's called a joke, I wrote this as if Zhat Vash agents were threatening to kill me if I didn't say every Romulan shared their extremist beliefs which wasn't mentioned in the canon IIRC.

Waiting a month to respond kind of defeats the purpose of a clarification.

Necromancy isn't just a bad idea, it's against the law!
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,713 Community Moderator
    ye necromancy most foul I banish thee to the shadow realm
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.