test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ESD Tour with Spacedock and Hangerbay

silek#3424 silek Member Posts: 173 Arc User
I was playing around with the DemoRecord feature. I only labeled it exposed because it went into some areas you can't get to as a player. I wasn't trying to clickbait anyone. This isn't a money thing, I was just playing around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR-QwGbrlSE
Silek.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I can already hear the Environmental Artists heads hitting desks...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • silek#3424 silek Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    what does that mean?
    Silek.png
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    What a superb video. The way in which you showcase Earth Space Dock from a unique perspective is simply amazing and is not something we often get to see. It's great to see Cryptic's fine work showcased in this manner. Almost like a love letter to the devs. You seem to have a gift for this. Keep up the good work.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    That was cool! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    What a superb video. The way in which you showcase Earth Space Dock from a unique perspective is simply amazing and is not something we often get to see. It's great to see Cryptic's fine work showcased in this manner. Almost like a love letter to the devs. You seem to have a gift for this. Keep up the good work.

agreed, nicely done. also, I got first comment there :D
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
    silek#3424 wrote: »
    what does that mean?

To me, it means that a lie has been exposed, more or less. We were told that we could not get into the ESD shuttle bay because it was incomplete and that it really isn't as big as it looks. Well, actually having the camera in there moving around, it looks like i is exactly as big as it looks, and is more or less complete. I think their heads are hitting the desk because we can now see that there's this huge area that we can just look into but not enter. How much time was spent on designing something we can't enter?

Actually I was trying to make a joke. In the past the Environmental Artists have said that players breaking out of the map drive them crazy. While this isn't exactly the same as breaking out of the map, who knows if they'll have another headache because of it.

While the shuttlebay is cool, and would be cool to be able to examine a shuttle or runabout closer... they decided not to allow it. *shrug*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    What does it matter in STO that I have achieved the rank of Fleet Admiral? Everyone else has as well. What does it matter whether or not I have completed this or that mission. Everyone else has as well. And it's not like it would matter if we fail the mission, either. Just keep respawning and zerging until its done.

To be fair... STO is highly story driven, and unlike most MMOs, doesn't really say anything about any of the other players. The story of STO is the story of our characters. So it doesn't matter if everyone and their tribble is a Fleet Admiral or Dahar Master, because as far as the story is concerned... they don't exist. You do. The fact that ranks are tied to our levels also doesn't matter either. Honestly I don't even update the rank on my uniform past Captain because of personal choice, and the fact that everyone and their tribbles like to run around showing top rank. But that is their choice. Every once in a while we'll have a thread calling for a reworking of the rank structure to cut off at Captain, but honestly it doesn't really matter because we can choose to just show Captain, some of the dialog has been altered to address us as Captain...
    The ranks are mostly just cosmetic now.

And because the game is so story driven, of course we're not going to have fail conditions for episode missions unless the story demands it.
    I sure appreciate it everyone. Thank you for the kind words.
    Silek.png
  • collins#8954 collins Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I like the part in the dock
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Nicely done.. that was very cool. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Thank you so much for that.
    Silek.png
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    I enjoyed watching that! The ideal break during maintenance. Well done @silek#3424
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    From what I've gathered using that map in the foundry issue isn't the shuttlebay but the part behind it, that's just a 2D plane stuck there to make it look like that section is all around the station. and if you got close to that part the illusion would break, same reason we can't get near to the Reman buildings they're very basic and not complete if viewed up close (though more complete then the other end of ESD shuttlebay).

EDIT:Note how on the video you can see that only the first shuttle pathway has a doorway and a wall and for rest of the bay the interior walls just don't exist, that's a clear indication that you were never meant to see those parts, that's not laziness it's being economic with your resources, the bigger the map is longer it will take to load it and building a full 360 degree ESD at the size of the current interior with full detail would be just too resource extensive to run properly. It's like how movie sets build only the parts that will be seen on camera and won't bother with parts that will never be seen.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    silek#3424 wrote: »
    what does that mean?

To me, it means that a lie has been exposed, more or less. We were told that we could not get into the ESD shuttle bay because it was incomplete and that it really isn't as big as it looks. Well, actually having the camera in there moving around, it looks like i is exactly as big as it looks, and is more or less complete. I think their heads are hitting the desk because we can now see that there's this huge area that we can just look into but not enter. How much time was spent on designing something we can't enter?

Actually I was trying to make a joke. In the past the Environmental Artists have said that players breaking out of the map drive them crazy. While this isn't exactly the same as breaking out of the map, who knows if they'll have another headache because of it.

While the shuttlebay is cool, and would be cool to be able to examine a shuttle or runabout closer... they decided not to allow it. *shrug*

Oh well, at the same time their colleagues keep releasing stuff that allows players to break maps so...

(Just look at the new Zhat Vash kit module for the latest example).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Oh I understand all that. I'm fine with it, actually. Because there is no hard rule that says a MMO cannot be both a sandbox and a theme park at the same time. The story missions are great. But what do we do in the periods between story content releases. We run the same things over and over and over again because they are just things to do... Just motions to go through... But what if these meaningless tasks tied into a much larger metagame? Where doing the activities... or NOT doing them... could have an impact.

And imagine if they keep adding things like this... ALL OVER THE PLACE. They can even use threshold-triggered events to drop hints about the next story arc. Or to DRIVE a story arc.

Perhaps a subject for another thread.
    I wasn't saying you couldn't continue as I too feel some drag from not much to do between content drops and wouldn't mind a discussion on how to combat that, but it was a bit of a derail on this thread.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    Thanks for the view of ESD, that was fun.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    How do you access the demorecord commands. I've been wanting to make a video like this of the Captains Table
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
This discussion has been closed.