test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So why can't we salvage rep drops?

gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
Dear Cryptic,
Why can't we salvage drops from Reputation projects?
screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    It’s a downside I agree.

At least we get ec for getting rid of the items.

We can use that to keep the projects running or get items we can salvage from the exchange. Blue deflectors are often cheap.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    The technical reason is that Salvage is actually calculated based on the Crafting system to determine Materials, and since you can't craft the Reputation stuff via that system it doesn't know what most of the stuff should give. It originally let you Salvage Disco Rep drops, probably with those having the right dataset in place either by having it manually added or pulled from equivalent items, but that got pulled since you couldn't Salvage the other Reps drops.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    Could be a safety precaution too.

Some items from reputation projects and those bought through the stores, look similar or the same as stuff obtained from reputation packages.

And since we can't retrieve anything that's salvaged, accidently salvaging the wrong item would be very annoying.

If you're not going to use it, you're probably better off discarding it for EC anyway since that's probably more valuable. It's not like particles and salvage are hard to come by. For endeavours, I've never had much of a problem getting to 3000. I usually have plenty of toons who have plenty of useless loot drops in their inventories and overflow bags.

That's the positive thing about not having an auto-discard function (like we should have in this game).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Don't you just want to keep those Buffs you get from the Competitive Rep anyway? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Better yet, why can't we just like...get rid of rep drops from boxes entirely and instead, replace box rewards with either salvage or EC plus the occasional rep project token? Improving reputations for new characters is bad enough as it is with all the obnoxious and unnecessary clicking. Adding a trash-stomping minigame (opening and promptly disposing of all the "rewards" afterward) on top of all that makes it nearly unbearable.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    I'd just like the ability to sell R&D Materials at vendors instead of having to discard them or sell them on the exchange.
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    Better yet, why can't we just like...get rid of rep drops from boxes entirely and instead, replace box rewards with either salvage or EC plus the occasional rep project token? Improving reputations for new characters is bad enough as it is with all the obnoxious and unnecessary clicking. Adding a trash-stomping minigame (opening and promptly disposing of all the "rewards" afterward) on top of all that makes it nearly unbearable.

Because some of the items in those rep boxees make great ( cheap ) gear for high levels, the Romulan Rep gives a great set of weapons for Romulan Builds. ;)
    0he9rXF.png
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I admit I sell of most of the box contents, but usually I set aside some ground weapons for BOFFs just in case and a few of the ship weapons will go towards a single-energy boat backup for endeavors. If anything, that's where there's still some imbalance, since there's several sources each for Polaron and Disruptor, a few Antiproton and Phaser, but only 1 each of Plasma and Tetryon. And the Rep box for Tetryon has the worst drop table for ship weapons because its setlist has the EV suits.

At the end of the day, most characters hang onto the Disco Rep Box Consoles. Some I've even played around with upgrading.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Of course I dump my unwanted rep gear for EC, but when we happen to have the endeavor to "Gain Salvage" getting rid of it that way would be preferable. Two birds, one stone.

As for figuring out the value, it doesn't have to be complicated. Just make a table that says very rare items of this type salvage for X, epic gear salvages for Y, etc.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »

Because some of the items in those rep boxees make great ( cheap ) gear for high levels, the Romulan Rep gives a great set of weapons for Romulan Builds. ;)

Yeah, I've used a lot of that gear on alts, or on boffs. To have cheap other-energy-type weapons for Endeavors. Etc. Having the drops go away would be annoying as heck.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I thought the Reputation system's reward equipment boxes were calculated to reward one the most opposite gear possible based off of whatever equipment you have on your starship myself based off of my experience. Only on par with the Klingon Recruitment equipment rewarding system :-)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I usually can't be bothered to get gear for Boffs. Hardly ever use them as most of my older toons can do stuff by themselves just fine.

For new characters, the drops form the rep boxes can come in handy though. And it never hurts to have a few spare weapons for endeavours.

As long as you still have some weaponless boffs because you don't put in much effort to get them some gear, having one more weapon isn't too bad in terms of bank space either.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
This discussion has been closed.