test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

📢 The Reddit/Twitter dev tracker thread 📢

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    And over the years, they have done a lot to keep the Klingons relevant in the game.
    They really didn't.
    As @sirsitsalot said, as many have said time and again: they created the disparity.
    In you words, you may want to "just willfully ignore the facts", but the facts aren't gonna change: the balance has always been
    skewed toward the Federation - and once again, no one is asking for total equality, just for more consideration.
    Are you sure you want just "more consideration" and not actually equality. Because you always bring up how the KDF wasn't or isn't equal, and when we point to Klingon ships, Klingon content, Klingon artwork, Klingon storylines, the all do not count as more consideration. They just get swept away as nothing.

What more consideration has the Federation actually gotten by comparison? Do we have any Vulcan or Andorian storylines so far? Do we have any excursions in Tellarite mythology? The only thing you could actually name is that there are more Fed ships than KDF ships. So fracking what, have you looked at the source material?
    As for your list:
    - Michael Dorn was brought to the game because his character was incredibly popular; had it been a Ferengi, they would've done the same;
    - How is getting 3 ships for the price of 2 "keepin the Klingons relevant" is beside me;
    - Kagran may have been in charge of the Delta Alliance, as you call it, but he could just as well have been a cat for all he did compared to all the other characters;
    - Martok was a nice touch, I can give you that;
    - Making the Hur'q, and the Fek'Ihri, just a botched experiment of the Dominion was a incredible joke that spat all over Klingon-lore;
    - The Klingon Civil War it's important to every power in the quadrant, because it can change the politcal landscape completely; and if there's one thing that it sure as hell doesn't do is "make the KDF interesting";
    - The Recruitment is nothing but a timegated drivel with only one really worth it reward for the entire account, and that's the Whitering Barrage available for free.

Come on, the bundles meant that KDF ships were made available to KDF fans. And the bundles also meant that for people that were still on the edge of whether they should even bother - for the price of 2 ships, they can get something for a KDF and a RR character as well, might finally use this opportunity to get a bundle and make those KDF and RR characters.
    Kagran was part of several of the Iconian pact missions and particularly the Iconian finale, here he was the voice of reason instead of the Klingon-honor-must-smash archetype, giving people the chance to realize that Klingons are just as complex anas Feddies.
    They didn't just make the Hur'q into a "failed experiment" - they made them into a genuine threat that even the Dominion alone couldn't handle. They made them a worthy foe for the KDF. And the Fek'Ihri grounded the Klingon mythology in reality, instead of just some absurd religion that was entirely made up and an advanced civilization should have grown beyond already. It made Klingon experiences and beliefs valid - and it showed them off, in all their glory. And the latter is really the important part. People need some inspiration on why they should make a Klingon.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    And over the years, they have done a lot to keep the Klingons relevant in the game.
    They really didn't.
    As @sirsitsalot said, as many have said time and again: they created the disparity.
    In you words, you may want to "just willfully ignore the facts", but the facts aren't gonna change: the balance has always been
    skewed toward the Federation - and once again, no one is asking for total equality, just for more consideration.

As for your list:
    - Michael Dorn was brought to the game because his character was incredibly popular; had it been a Ferengi, they would've done the same;
    - How is getting 3 ships for the price of 2 "keepin the Klingons relevant" is beside me;
    - Kagran may have been in charge of the Delta Alliance, as you call it, but he could just as well have been a cat for all he did compared to all the other characters;
    - Martok was a nice touch, I can give you that;
    - Making the Hur'q, and the Fek'Ihri, just a botched experiment of the Dominion was a incredible joke that spat all over Klingon-lore;
    - The Klingon Civil War it's important to every power in the quadrant, because it can change the politcal landscape completely; and if there's one thing that it sure as hell doesn't do is "make the KDF interesting";
    - The Recruitment is nothing but a timegated drivel with only one really worth it reward for the entire account, and that's the Whitering Barrage available for free.

There's great implication that the Fek'Ihri are atleast somewhat real, there's lots of it in the missions where you go to Gre'thor. Like you fight the real ones, but some of the ones plaguing the empire were fake. Still kind of dumb but not as bad.

I agree with all of your other points though, including the Hur'q to an extent.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    What i'd love to see is the introduction of a new faction ( or an old one) as villain that keeps the players on their toes.

I saw Yesterday's Enterprise recently, that episode was gorgeous not only in itself but on the lore behind it with a large scale war that lasts that long...

I'd be very curious for a new villain that not only would bring new featured episodes but brings on new mechanics, like some sort of "Galactic-Wide Battlezone", like a pumped up Gamma Quadrant BZ, where you need to fight for control of territories the lieks of Betazed, Trill, Vulcan, Andoria ecc.

More than a demand ( which i do not intend to make), it's a genuine curiosity of mine on how it would work... Borg for isntance could be perfect for a PVE centered system... or any new or old threat we can still explore, like Terrans.
    0he9rXF.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    so we can't pick the dai-katana warbird, or whatever it's called​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Quick clarification, Captains: The reward for the 2021 Meta Event, if you choose a Lock Box or Promo ship, will only include ships released up until 12/31/20. Ships released after that date will not be included.

Well I'm sure if there's a future Promo ship released that I want this will bug me but this is totally understandable & I appreciate Cryptic addressing this now & clarifying their stance.
    so we can't pick the dai-katana warbird, or whatever it's called​​

I'm sure it isn't as Romulan but I like your name for it better!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Imagine, they say that and in March they announce... the Legendary T6 Nova!... as a Promo ship.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    The list just dropped in-game:
    2021-02-25%2018_02_03-window.png?raw=1

Noticing something missing?
    Yup, where are the PROMO ships? Those are only lockbox ships. I hope the oversight is the list itself and not the "or promo ship" mention.
    #TASforSTO
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    From Twitter today:
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1365001784150740993
    A message from Proconsul D'tan: "This morning, members of the Romulan republic (sic) exercised provision 57b of the Republic Defense Charter to transfer their service to the KDF and Dominion. We wish them well, all citizens should have the chance to go where their desires take them." [Profile photo of Proconsul D'tan.]
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    From Twitter today:
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1365001784150740993
    A message from Proconsul D'tan: "This morning, members of the Romulan republic (sic) exercised provision 57b of the Republic Defense Charter to transfer their service to the KDF and Dominion. We wish them well, all citizens should have the chance to go where their desires take them." [Profile photo of Proconsul D'tan.]

I don't get it, what is this supposed to even mean ?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User

Something to do with Romulan duty officers, I think I read somewhere...
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    joshmaul wrote: »

Something to do with Romulan duty officers, I think I read somewhere...

Ah ok, would have been nice if the tweet wasn't so ... umm ... Cyptic 😎
    eaY7Xxu.png
    It's nice, but it doesn't work for assignments for the same reason KDF/Fed Doffs don't work for Fed/KDF assignments: the game recognizes they exist and thus the assignment says you have the right kind of Doff, but you can't assign them because they're the wrong faction.

The exception is still the civilian ones.
    #TASforSTO
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    A quick note: for the record I agree that they should be posted info here. I just want to be clear about that point, so no one is confused by my following comments.

That said, this is not some 'social' issue about 'equality'. We all have access to the same internet. We all have the choice to use twitter, or reddit, or not. No one is being denied access to those platforms because of any kind of social injustice. And even if those website are blocked when you are at work...well, you are at work. You can still use them when you are at home.

So yes, I completely agree the company should be posting info to it's own forums. But no, it's not because of 'equality' or anything like that. I hope that makes sense.

These are the official forums. The STO subreddit is the official subreddit. The STO social media accounts are the official social media accounts. If they are all official outlets, then inequality applies when one or more of them are given official attention and others are neglected, specially when Cryptic KNOWS that not everyone on the forums uses reddit or social media, and not everyone on reddit and social media uses the forums.

If this were some third party forum that Cryptic happened to post on at one time and stopped when they got official outlets to use, I would not be taking the position I have taken. But this is one of their official outlets. The closest to home in fact. It's hosted on their own network. It uses the same criteria as logging into the game uses. While I initially held that this should be where news originates and then gets linked to on Reddit or social media, I've shifted a bit to say that the forums should be used in equilibrium with other outlets so no matter where a community member is coming from, the information is available.

That is the equality I refer to. The forums don't need to be treated with more priority than the other outlets. But they should not be treated with any less of one either. I mean, we're talking about copying and pasting information to jut one more place. We're talking maybe thirty seconds... I don't think it's an unfair thing to ask for.

For what it's worth - I agree. As you may have noticed, I'm trying to take more time to be on here, lately. The main issue is how much easier it is to respond to things on Reddit or Twitter. I realize that's not a good excuse, however, and I'm genuinely going to try and be on here to answer questions and such more often.

Please do keep in mind, though, that I wear a million hats and am not anywhere where players congregate as much as I'd like.

Hmmm, sounds like you're going to have a sore neck wearing all of those hats, Kael. I hope you're not wearing all of them at the same time :blush:
    It looks nice.
    "The versions of these weapons that come with the Voyager J will not be upgradeable, but these weapons will be available elsewhere in the future."

Why wouldn't Cryptic just make it like other weapon variants & purchasable from the Dilithium Store? If that's not the case. If that is the case why not just say it as so? How far into the future too?
    "The versions of these weapons that come with the Voyager J will not be upgradeable, but these weapons will be available elsewhere in the future."

Why wouldn't Cryptic just make it like other weapon variants & purchasable from the Dilithium Store? If that's not the case. If that is the case why not just say it as so? How far into the future too?

Probably gonna be in the next lockbox is my guess, they're only mentioning it now because the Janeway will be coming with Common rarity, non-upgradable MK XII versions of them.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I couldn't get a screenshot, but the image featuring the 32nd century phasers was changed, as before, it featured the Janeway shooting 3 wider yellow beams.

It could be they're both to be made available in the next lockbox and are also not fully ready FX-wise yet.
    #TASforSTO
    I couldn't get a screenshot, but the image featuring the 32nd century phasers was changed, as before, it featured the Janeway shooting 3 wider yellow beams.

It could be they're both to be made available in the next lockbox and are also not fully ready FX-wise yet.
    Reddit thinks they got them to change the beams to be more canon accurate.

Considering how quick that was I think it's more likely that the original picture was using the wrong weapons.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

Like 700 hundred years in the future??, it's a long wait..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    And also equip the Ship with the Mk XII VR ones like the Keldon/Galor, and Discovery Constitution/D7.

It is a Promo Ship.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    And also equip the Ship with the Mk XII VR ones like the Keldon/Galor, and Discovery Constitution/D7.

It is a Promo Ship.

They RARELY do that sort of thing though, infact only the Andorian phasers, Spiral Wave disruptors, and Advanced phasers work that way as far as I know. Since they already said the weapons it comes with won't be upgradable it seems very likely that we will get a full range of 32c arrays, beam banks, and cannons included in the next Lockbox, probably with Book's ship as the new LB ship.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The ships I mentioned were the ones that had those upgradeable VR Mk XII as you reiterated.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns