test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will we ever get TOS caitians?

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
Surely it can't be that hard to add them to the TOS-era federation species list? Along with, y'know, some better hairstyles a la M'ress?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    The rights for TAS are weird. I know we initially weren't allowed to give Caitians their TAS hair for legal reasons. I think that may have changed now, but I can't confirm that.
  • pattonj324pattonj324 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    The rights for TAS are weird. I know we initially weren't allowed to give Caitians their TAS hair for legal reasons. I think that may have changed now, but I can't confirm that.

*drops to knees, pleading*

Please, can you find out? Perhaps send a tweet in the right direction? I'm dying to give some of my many Caitians, an updated look. <3
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    I really wonder how they would have managed to enforce that rule, considering M'Ress' hair is just a basic mane and pretty much the most common hairstyle for anthropomorphic felines in any work of fiction.

At worst, the hair part in front of the ears could have been removed and the day would have been called while the lawyers would have gotten flipped birbs.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... we also have to consider that TAS has one episode with the Kzinti, which muddies the water even more as legally they're owned by their creator, Larry Niven. There was an attempt to bring them into Enterprise, but that failed. And the next time we heard of them in canon, was a reference in an episode of Picard.

So TAS is a bit of a legal minefield, which could explain why we have some things but not other things. Hopefully we will get the hairstyles though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    They pretty much just need a mane and digitgrade legs, so far they shown up in both animated shows and live action movies, We'll probably get updated caitian models if CBS can get one in a live action series without messing it up, they're suppose to look like cute Khajiits not JJ's cat girls or the nightmare inducing Garfield from Voyage Home.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... we also have to consider that TAS has one episode with the Kzinti, which muddies the water even more as legally they're owned by their creator, Larry Niven. There was an attempt to bring them into Enterprise, but that failed. And the next time we heard of them in canon, was a reference in an episode of Picard.

So TAS is a bit of a legal minefield, which could explain why we have some things but not other things. Hopefully we will get the hairstyles though.

True, joint ownership of IP is almost always a tangled mess, especially when a company is bought out, broken up, and scattered the way Filmation was.
This discussion has been closed.