test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why do cryptic Announce game info on social media sites rather then the website

r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
i know this question must been asked before but being that i dont use social media and i am sure there many more besides me who play this game who dont use social media it would be nice for cryptic to take that in to account and announce game info on social media and webpage at same time rather then post on social media and drop in on to website weeks later

maybe its not a big issue for most people but it gets frustrating coming on the webpage to see if there is any new info to find people posting twitter posts about new infomation rather then it being on the site its self i am not having ago at people copying and pasting twitter posts on here its much appricated and i am happy people post this stuff without this we would no half of what cryptic was planning

my main point is the webpage should be the main source of info for game rather then social media
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    I agree that Cryptic should use the website/forums a lot more.

At least our CM does not entirely give up on communicating tho, and as long as they're not actually going silent I'm more or less okay with the status quo.

It seems easier to filter the good information from the useless information and pointless rant on selected social platforms, than on the forums - which are more often than not just ranting and hatespeech with a few sprinkles of "hm. Good to know."
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I am glad to see Kael making more of an effort to post info on the forums and to engage with the community. However, he could still do better. Apparently there was a give away of 5 keys for console players today, but unfortunately Kael didn't post anything in Galactic News until 4pm.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Im very disappointed that a few years back forums have stopped being the place to go to for the latest game information.

I thank all of my fellow players linking information to this place. You are are great help folks.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Im very disappointed that a few years back forums have stopped being the place to go to for the latest game information.

I thank all of my fellow players linking information to this place. You are are great help folks.

This, also the launcher could be used to give out way more than just maintenance reminders.
    You know, just to avoid all the "ranting and hatespeech" on the forums. Because a post by the CM would absolutely be impossible to "filter from the useless information", yep.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    To answer the title question, It would be easier to make a post on Facebook or Twitter then to create a new page for the website. (How much easier would depend partly on what kinds of tools/templates they use, which I don't know.) It's possible any new web pages have to be uploaded by the webmaster after being made and checked out internally. In theory, it might be possible to integrate their twitter feed at least into a page on the website, but I'm not sure if they've thought of that.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The amount of checking done prior to hitting publish is pretty minimal given the number of lazy copy paste errors that come along with more regularity that the average train schedule. Case in point the console announcement for phoenix was a copy paste from the PC including the dates, kind of mindboggling given how little effort is required to make sure that basic info is correct.

Nothing on either the first (pointless) login screen or the character select screen or indeed the very much neglected obnoxious lander that for some reason never shows up until the first or second map transition after logging into the game. The only way of knowing about it is the popup text shows phoenix tokens rather than just the usual ship spam.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    TBH, the simple reason is probably because it gets seen by a lot more people in those other places.

Just as one simple example, I posted a poll on both these forums and reddit on the same time at the same day. Compare the number of votes in each poll:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1260501/what-is-the-main-reason-for-the-ship-you-use/p1

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/lrkfhm/what_is_the_main_reason_for_the_ship_you_use/

Just to be clear, I completely agree that any official news/announcements/etc should be posted on the game's official forums. But rightly or wrongly, they must feel the number of people here don't justify the time in doing so :|

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    personally if i see something on social media i'll come to the official site for confirmation, nothing on social media can be trusted.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    kibi#8855 wrote: »
    personally if i see something on social media i'll come to the official site for confirmation, nothing on social media can be trusted.

You're free to think/believe whatever you like. However, the actual fact is that if it is posted by the official STO account it is an official announcement.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    TBH, the simple reason is probably because it gets seen by a lot more people in those other places.

Just as one simple example, I posted a poll on both these forums and reddit on the same time at the same day. Compare the number of votes in each poll:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1260501/what-is-the-main-reason-for-the-ship-you-use/p1

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/lrkfhm/what_is_the_main_reason_for_the_ship_you_use/

Just to be clear, I completely agree that any official news/announcements/etc should be posted on the game's official forums. But rightly or wrongly, they must feel the number of people here don't justify the time in doing so :|

So then I pose a question, I for one will not go to more than one source for information.
    Should I leave the ARC forums and go to reddit as my primary source of information?
    Or remain on the ARC forums and hope for the best?

Also I agree with Kibi - If its not on the main forums its considered rumor or speculation of whats upcomming, not fact till one of them posts it here.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
This discussion has been closed.