test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,179 Arc User
    Ugly. Luckily its a box ship so we won't see many.
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 5,269 Arc User
    I wonder if it will be able to equip the Intrepid-line's consoles
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,689 Arc User
    edited February 26
    It looks nice enough.

So will it be Lockbox or Promo Pack?
    It looks nice enough.

The linked post says promo pack, with a weekend coming up for them next weekend (March 4-8)
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,338 Arc User
    This is beyond ridiculous.

We have a ship that won't be in active service for 700 YEARS. This goes way beyond a ship that is rare. This is a ship that simply does not belong.

Now... If Cryptic were to create a branch of the game set in the 32nd century that is isolated from the core game, in which our 32nd century character serves on the USS Janeway, and they treated it like an on-going series that gives us a reason to keep coming back to it, I would actually pay money to play that content.

But hell... CBS doesn't care about Star Trek continuity... Why should Cryptic?
    When it comes to MMOs, I wear prescription glasses. Whether or not they are rose-tinted is beside the point.
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 1,964 Arc User
    not a look i like, but your mileage may vary. :)

i like the detached nacelles.
    meh

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,179 Arc User

We have a ship that won't be in active service for 700 YEARS. This goes way beyond a ship that is rare. This is a ship that simply does not belong.

Now... If Cryptic were to create a branch of the game set in the 32nd century that is isolated from the core game, in which our 32nd century character serves on the USS Janeway, and they treated it like an on-going series that gives us a reason to keep coming back to it, I would actually pay money to play that content.

Well, time travel solves everything. Its why we have 29th and 31st century ships in game, among others. Of course... time travel is banned where this thing comes from (though no one can stop it from happening, so who cares?)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 53,036 Community Moderator
    Interesting... Can I get the uniforms for my Space Barbie addiction yet? lol
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    westmetals wrote: »
    It looks nice enough.

The linked post says promo pack, with a weekend coming up for them next weekend (March 4-8)

Ah, thanks, missed seeing/reading it.

I have to wonder if Cryptic has any Zen Store ship releases planned for 2021, of course I mean outside of Mudd's specials.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 3,632 Arc User
    edited February 26

On the contrary, it definitely belongs in the game, but for the wrong reason. Mainly that in the canon, by the 32nd century, time travel technology is banned and destroyed and somehow, everyone agreed to that.

So, you can just say you traveled to the 32nd century, grabbed one of those ships and when the power-to-be went "Hey, that's illegal, give it back, you time-traveling meanie!", you went "And you're gonna stop us with what, exactly?" while flipping the birb at them as you went back into your temporal vortex, unopposed.

Also, I find it even uglier with the different angles and the moving nacelles anger me since they are currently broken for the Intrepid classes... AGAIN!

I hope the Eisenberg-class will look better.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 26
    That is absolutely hideous. The detached nacelles are just appalling - what could *possibly* be the advantage to that design? It just looks like something some artist somewhere pulled out of their rear and was like "OOOOHHHHHHH, THIS IS AWESOME!" No, it's terrible - it's freaking terrible.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,378 Arc User
    It looks nice enough.

I have to wonder if Cryptic has any Zen Store ship releases planned for 2021, of course I mean outside of Mudd's specials.

They will have - the new shows are giving them plenty to work with and they're clearly keeping the emphasis on the new shows and their ships.

Sucks for anyone wanting ships from the older series though.......

It looks nice enough.

am sure they probably do... personally I'm expecting that they will announce the T6 Nova on April 1. Then not actually release it, and instead release a useless two-hangar science carrier based on the Nebula frame, because "people hate the Jupiter for its looks".
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited February 26

So the Aeon timeship, and the Relativity, being in the game is fine, despite those not existing for another 466 years, but the Voyager-J isn't because....?
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    mattingly1 wrote: »
    That is absolutely hideous. The detached nacelles are just appalling - what could *possibly* be the advantage to that design? It just looks like something some artist somewhere pulled out of their rear and was like "OOOOHHHHHHH, THIS IS AWESOME!" No, it's terrible - it's freaking terrible.

This. No one who actually took the time to think about the physical realities involved--as Matt Jefferies did with the original Enterprise; even if I disagree with some of his conclusions, he did have logical reasons--would've come up with this. One power failure and bam! There go your warp nacelles. "Bizarre" does not begin to describe the decision-making that must've been involved in creating this ship.
  • corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    Yeah, I, uh, can't say I'm a fan. Not in any way, shape, or form. So who wants to bet it'll have a must-have trait or console??
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Yeah, I, uh, can't say I'm a fan. Not in any way, shape, or form. So who wants to bet it'll have a must-have trait or console??

The trait looks cool for cloak-centric builds, I guess. And if the ship could use parts from the Intrepid line, I might even be interested; she looks more tac-capable than the existing Intrepids, and given my relative disinterest in sci I've been wanting an Intrepid I could actually use. But the blog says nothing about being able to use said parts, so I don't care.

Console - Universal - Photonic Cannon
    This weaponry was originally theorized in the late-24th century as an ingenious way to utilize photonic/holographic technology, but application of those theories only came to fruition with the introduction of programmable matter. Now that it has been realized, starships with both capabilities may rapidly deploy this technology while in the field. Deployment includes a sensor-masking suite that acts as a defensive countermeasture for the ship, while simultaneously creating an additional source of firepower to soften up any enemy starships unfortunate enough to be lingering in your ship's forward arc.

Starship Trait - Enhanced Cloaking Integration
    Your ship's systems have been tuned to grant additional benefits when entering and exiting cloak. Entering cloak will restore Hull over time and boost maneuverability, while exiting will grant a burst of Firing Cycle Haste for all ship weaponry. This works with any cloaking device variant.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    edited February 26
    This is a ship that simply does not belong.

STO is a "themepark-style" MMO. "Does not belong" doesn't really exist, it's merely an opinion. A contradictory one, considering all the other stuff that makes technically not much sense within the universe.

We now have klingons commanding Defiants, had Jem'Hadar commanding Scimitars for a while now, back in the old days we had tons of Feddies flying Dominion dreadnoughts long before there was even a hint at them becoming allies at some point.

We have "limited mass-production" on ships like the Universe-class, and multiple incarnations of actual timeships that were total one-offs in the shows. The major factions win a war with a ship that existed, but also didn't exist due to what happened in Year of Hell.

Everything from a canon source is absolutely valid for STO. The DISCOnnected designs will certainly freshen things up a little, I welcome that.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,403 Arc User
    Something has gone wrong with that design. As silly as the nacelles are I thought the Voyager-J look reasonably nice in the TV Show and the detached nacelles while silly I can overlook and don't have a problem with that. The in game design on the other hand is absolutely hideous. The translation from screen to game has gone badly wrong.

The specs make little logical sense either. In the TV show they made a point of how the Crossfield shields where weak and went down in seconds compared to the 23rd century ships. Yet in game it’s the other way around the Crossfield has stronger shields with a better shield modifier. While for some reason the Voyager-J has really weak shields with a poor modifier. I know for balance reasons they cannot make a true straight Voyager-J but at the minimum it should have better shields then a Crossfield. I would have said a Voyager-J should at least have a shield modifier of 1.4 if not higher to represent the TV show.
    That is absolutely hideous. The detached nacelles are just appalling - what could *possibly* be the advantage to that design?

As was shown, the advantage is that thanks to the programmable magi... err matter, physics don't matter that much anymore because you can just turn without turning and stuff like that. It's mostly there to look cool and futuristic on screen, but I kinda dig it. The showrunners finally realized that trying to make sense when nothing makes sense is pointless, and they went wild.

Well, time travel solves everything. Its why we have 29th and 31st century ships in game, among others. Of course... time travel is banned where this thing comes from (though no one can stop it from happening, so who cares?)

I don't like the inclusion of those ships either.

We should have been given a choice of eras rather than just a mish mosh of everything just thrown together willy nilly with no meaning or purpose.

Yes... "Time travel solves everything" It's one of the most done to death tropes in Star Trek. So far, Discovery is the first Trek show to not only strand the crew in a time period not of their own, but actually integrate them into that era with a clear implication that they are not going back. It works, because you can take an outdated ship, gut its systems and replace them with contemporary ones, refit the hull and upgrade offensive and defensive systems, thus making it viable for contemporary use.

But we have a ship from 700 years in the future. This thing needs to have the stats of a Tier 100 ship. It should by its very nature outclass every ship in the game with the 29th and 31st century ships maybe standing a chance to hold their own in comparrison. And we won't just see one of these... They'll be popping up all over the place.

STO is turning into one huge joke.

S3 of discovery could have and should have been a huge opportunity for Cryptic to go: We now have a Star Trek show set in the 32nd century. Let's create a branch of STO that we can use to explore the potential storytelling in that era.

But no... We get a lockbox ship. Quick and easy money for yet more meaningless fluff.

Agents of Yesterday was an opportunity for Cryptic to give STO an on-going 23rd century branch to the game. But no... Once the introduction is over it's a jump to the 25th century where we can continue with our character from the 23rd century doing the same junk our regular 25th century characters do...

Legacy of Romulus was an opportunity to give STO a branch in which we can enjoy a romulan storyline. But once the intro is done, we get to choose red or blue, and again continue to advance using content that our other characters already do.

Every chance they have to give a unique experience within what starts out as a unique branch just gets rolled into the same mediocre BS...

But they aren't even bothering to give us an intro set in the 32nd century before throwing us back in time to the same mediocre stuff.

Just a gamble box. One and done. Next...

I bet we don't even get a ship interior with the Janeway class... Hell... I bet we don't even get a bridge.

Not going to throw money at this. Launch a story arc set in the 32nd century, charge for it, and let this ship be part of it, and I will buy it. But the ship by itself in a gamble box... No.
    When it comes to MMOs, I wear prescription glasses. Whether or not they are rose-tinted is beside the point.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited February 26
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Something has gone wrong with that design. As silly as the nacelles are I thought the Voyager-J look reasonably nice in the TV Show and the detached nacelles while silly I can overlook and don't have a problem with that. The in game design on the other hand is absolutely hideous. The translation from screen to game has gone badly wrong.
    You are aware that Cryptic gets the ship model files for the new shows from CBS, and just shaves down polygons to make it fit in STO's engine limits?

This is literally the exact same model they used in the TV show, with the same dimensions, everything.
    Detached pieces allows for greater turning, and maneuverability, since there isn't as much sheer/resistance from different parts of the ships when making quick/fast movements.
    edited February 26
    STO is turning into one huge joke.

From an in-universe-perspective (if you will), it has *always* been a joke. The entire setup for STO's original Fed vs. KDF war. Was. A. Joke. Completely ridiculous, but it was serviceable enough for an MMO.

Half the playerbase in Dominion dreadnoughts once they became a thing was so serious. Half the KDF-players being orion girls with barely any clothes is serious too.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    thats about the ugliest ship I've ever seen in sto. Is it supposed to have invisible parts ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited February 26
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    thats about the ugliest ship I've ever seen in sto. Is it supposed to have invisible parts ?

It seems like the console does that. At least that partial cloaking.

Did you watch S3 of Discovery?

Detached nacelles are a thing in the 32nd century.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,415 Arc User
    This looks like one of those buggy models where you lose ship parts until you refresh it at the tailor pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

It seems like the console does that.

LOL, so selective cloak ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,411 Arc User
    My concern isn't with the looks, it's with the BOff seating. It's stated right in the article that it concentrates more on hull then on shield, great, but then you give it a LCDR Tac instead of a LCDR engineering, which is kind of exactly opposite of what I'd want on a hull heavy sci. Add in the fact that it's a sci ship, and the chances of you needing a LCDR tac on it, when you're probably going to make it a space magic/torp boat anyway, is kind of meh. Which wouldn't be so bad, if it could mount aux cannons, which I don't see it being able to do.

So now you've got a ship that's hull heavy, and no real great way to capitalize on it, a sci ship that's forcing you practically into a hybrid build to use those new beams, which means less energy to AUX, which takes away from the sci aspect of it.

Just generally a badly designed ship.