What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wich Uniform do you want most?

Comments

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,772 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Lower Decks Uniform
    michael-uwandi-hugh-startrek.jpg?1592242852

I imagine they'll save that for a potential Cooperative faction.

I agree, we need a Borg faction in this game.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Duras sister's uniform
    DurasSis.jpg
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Duras sister's uniform
    DurasSis.jpg

I actually wanted to threw in heavy Edo combat armor but yes, that dress is so long overdue is has become funny again (after having become first funny, then weird, then a bit embarrassing) now with the KDF upbeat.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Lower Decks Uniform
    Also none of the above.

But there are uniforms I want.

- A better looking Romulan Federation Uniform, the current one is awful, imho.

- An exBorg Uniform, like Hughs from Picard.
    -michael-uwandi-hugh-startrek.jpg?1592242852

Wow, I don't remember Hugh's uniform looking that good in the series.

From that pic, heck yeah, that would be an awesome addition to the STO uniform list & it looks like it could be part of any/all factions too.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    The Cage Uniform
    Also none of the above.

From that pic, heck yeah, that would be an awesome addition to the STO uniform list & it looks like it could be part of any/all factions too.

That is the problem with PIC and DSC uniforms, they concentrate entirely on how it looks in concept drawings and then try to make real-world costumes that look exactly like the drawings instead of taking the next step and considering how they look on real people in motion on camera.

That makes the finished product stiff and nasty, like they upholstered the actors instead of them getting dressed (which is not surprising since the tunics are assembled with a rubber sheet backing like indoor-outdoor carpet).

On the other hand, that hard unmoving carboard-like style is far easier to do as a mesh texture than the soft, gently wrinkled shimmering surface style that the Cage and early TOS tunics were supposed to be.

If you are curious about how they did the DSC-s3 tunics:

https://startrek.com/videos/star-trek-discovery-the-details-of-the-federations-new-uniforms

I wonder if the bonding process she talks about would work on real velvet with no rubber backing without the seams being stiff, the TOS tunics were supposed to be entirely seamless too (in-universe they were made in one piece by the ship's fabricators, not sewn together from flat pieces of cloth the way the real costumes were). Unfortunately they could not entirely hide the seams with the Velour (especially with it shrinking every time it was washed) and Spock's tunics had to have hidden zippers in the shoulders so he could change them without knocking his ears off which made it even worse.
  • navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    Lower Decks Uniform
    navar#3536 wrote: »
    I would prefer they fix [...] the TNG Movie uniforms that make your neck look Cardassian no matter what species you are playing as.
    That uniform looks fine to me, my TNG themed character currently wears it, even in the movies and shows the undershirt was kinda bulky around the neck. Also I'm not positive but I think they already adjusted that uniform at some point, maybe around the time that Vorgon Conclusions was released?

Just double checked, and the issue still remains. Those two uniforms make your neck as a Human look Cardassian.

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Lower Decks Uniform
    Also none of the above.

That is the problem with PIC and DSC uniforms, they concentrate entirely on how it looks in concept drawings and then try to make real-world costumes that look exactly like the drawings instead of taking the next step and considering how they look on real people in motion on camera.

That makes the finished product stiff and nasty, like they upholstered the actors instead of them getting dressed (which is not surprising since the tunics are assembled with a rubber sheet backing like indoor-outdoor carpet).

On the other hand, that hard unmoving carboard-like style is far easier to do as a mesh texture than the soft, gently wrinkled shimmering surface style that the Cage and early TOS tunics were supposed to be.

If you are curious about how they did the DSC-s3 tunics:

https://startrek.com/videos/star-trek-discovery-the-details-of-the-federations-new-uniforms

I wonder if the bonding process she talks about would work on real velvet with no rubber backing without the seams being stiff, the TOS tunics were supposed to be entirely seamless too (in-universe they were made in one piece by the ship's fabricators, not sewn together from flat pieces of cloth the way the real costumes were). Unfortunately they could not entirely hide the seams with the Velour (especially with it shrinking every time it was washed) and Spock's tunics had to have hidden zippers in the shoulders so he could change them without knocking his ears off which made it even worse.

Cool link, I'm still favoring the Lower Decks uniforms but at the beginning showcasing those 32nd Century uniforms they really popped with design. I like that she stated she looked back at some video game references too. Thanks for sharing, great video showing insight into those costumes!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Lower Decks Uniform
    The call between the Cage uniforms and the ones from Lower Decks is a tough one for me but Lower Decks would be *the* thing for my entire toon gang! B)

As far as the other 3 options are concerned I would not mind if they leave em out entierly. Probably just me but I see all of them as clear downgrades to what was around as predecessors.

Star Trek 2009 & Into Darkness > Beyond

TNG & First Conatct >> Picard 2380

Disco 23c >>> Disco 32c

I don't even know what the designers thinking in the shows. The change for Beyond was completly unnecessary, not using a pimped version of alternate future TNG uniforms was a missed opportunity for Picard and I dont even want to start on 32c at the end of Disco S3. Even the worst self made cosplay uniforms look better than those. Only benefit I can see in them is that it hardly matters anymore how much weight one of the actors will put on in the future. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Lower Decks Uniform
    With Lower Deck starfleet uniforms I hope we get both the regular and rolled up sleeves variants, as well as one with a doctor's coat like T'Ana the caitian, Another LD uniform would have to be the Orion one Tendi wears in the episode Crisis Point.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,815 Arc User
    I've personally been hoping for the Romulan uniform from Nemesis since they released the Scimitar...instead nothing new since
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Lower Decks Uniform
    Lower Decks. I like those, and they look comfy.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • drcybertronic5drcybertronic5 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Hi, None of the above,
    This is the outfits I like to asked to see in game,
    Star Trek Enterprise episodes that Andorians, their Imperial Guard uniforms is total different from what in game now. It a brown leather looking outfit (see pic) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andorian#/media/File:ProvingGround1.jpg and http://www.oocities.org/area51/station/1558/andorians/Bridge.jpg

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I've personally been hoping for the Romulan uniform from Nemesis since they released the Scimitar...instead nothing new since

I think just some new Romulan/Reman uniforms in general would be nice. The last one I remember being added was the Republic dress uniform, which in my opinion looks way too Fed.

• warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    The Cage Uniform
    the cage but also for KDF the STMP uniform
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
    edited February 2021
    The Cage Uniform
    With Lower Deck starfleet uniforms I hope we get both the regular and rolled up sleeves variants, as well as one with a doctor's coat like T'Ana the caitian, Another LD uniform would have to be the Orion one Tendi wears in the episode Crisis Point.

oooo i forgot about the rolled up sleeves. good call. a doc coat would be nice too - although not sure about my use for it. would depend on how well it works on the toon.
    Lower Decks. I like those, and they look comfy.

comfy...lol. ive never had a uniform that was..."comfy." but you afforded me a chuckle. :P

The funny thing is, the TOS uniforms were specifically designed to represent comfortable, practical clothing for going about their duties rather than just for show. The spandex TNG ones sort of kept up with that idea if you assume that they have a spandex-like material that is not hot and smelly the way today's spandex gets.

All the recent uniform designs took the complete opposite tack and look like they are trying to float the idea that Starfleet does all their day to day work in the equivalent of Class A uniforms, except the uniforms themselves look even less comfortable than that.

I would have also voted for the Nemesis Romulan uniforms if that was an option and voting for two possible, they are miles ahead of the walking mattress nonsense from TNG, though I still like the TOS Romulan uniforms over any of the other Romulan ones.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,815 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

I think just some new Romulan/Reman uniforms in general would be nice. The last one I remember being added was the Republic dress uniform, which in my opinion looks way too Fed.

Would be nice to get some new uniforms in general...but I don't know, just something I really like about this one

romulans3.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    2380s Picard Uniform
    Since the 32c phasers have been announced as available in the future, I think it's safe to say a 32c lockbox is coming soon and the 32c fed uniforms will probably be offered through the Lobi store when that happens.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Lower Decks Uniform
    I've personally been hoping for the Romulan uniform from Nemesis since they released the Scimitar...instead nothing new since.

Would be nice to get some new uniforms in general...but I don't know, just something I really like about this one

romulans3.jpg

The closest I got to this look was with the TOS Romulan top combined with yesterday's enterprise strap and belt combo.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,826 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

romulans3.jpg

I hate the chicklet look. that design in a solid color... or have a not to TOS with a colored sleeve
    Spock.jpg

• maxx106maxx106 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I personally would like to see the USS Vengeance uniforms from ST: Into Darkness

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Star Trek Beyond Uniform
    I want some of the Romulan uniforms not yet in the game, the one that was in both Nemesis and Enterprise and the one in both DS9 and Voyager.
  • zolgearzolgear Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    32 Century Uniform
    DiscoPrise uniform
    Emerald Chain Grunt uniform
    General Chang
    Klingon coat
    DS9 Romulan

Just as a complete aside, and totally unrelated to the topic at hand:

At first I misread the image in your sig as "REMAN KLINGON", and I just had to say that the mental image of a Reman/DSC Klingon hybrid that gave me was absolutely terrifying.
    Lower Decks Uniform
    maybe add TAS uniforms to the list, I love brightly colored uniforms.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,948 Community Moderator
    2380s Picard Uniform

Aren't the TAS uniforms pretty much the TOS uniforms?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited February 2021
    Lower Decks Uniform
    rattler2 wrote: »

only for Feds, TAS Klingons got purple uniforms and TAS Romulan uniforms were completely different than their TOS variants.
  • kojekoje Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    Still waiting for Starfleet Wrath of Khan uniforms on XBOX. Only platform that's not allowed to have one of the most iconic starfleet uniforms.
    The Cage Uniform
    rattler2 wrote: »

only for Feds, TAS Klingons got purple uniforms and TAS Romulan uniforms were completely different than their TOS variants.

That was mostly because the art director for the show was colorblind (no joke, he really was) and the purple Klingon uniforms and gray skin for the Orions didn't look any different from the live action colors to him. Of course, according to The Undiscovered Country that makes the TAS Klingon uniforms blood colored which makes sense in a (obviously unintentional) way.

The scalemail look of the TAS Romulan uniforms was because it was easier to draw than the chainmail look of the TOS ones, attempts to do those with less effort than drawing the fine mesh in detail came out looking too much like polka-dots. The other differences were that the neck was slightly higher and bulkier, like a long turtleneck cuffed back several times and bright orange instead of black, and instead of the sari-like shoulder drape the same color as the sleeve on that side they had a Klingon style shoulder sash and both sleeves were the same color as the chest (again, probably a colorblindness issue along with the orange neck).

It would be justifiable to consider them a different uniform in STO though since the Romulans were going though a slow coup at the time and those could have been the new imperial uniform as the process solidified into the treacherous iron-fisted regime they were later in TNG.

It would be even better if they had the TAS uniforms for free in the tailor like the TOS Klingon ones, or at the very least as an account unlock in the C-store (at a lower price than the more distinctive TOS ones) instead of walling them away in the Lobi store or whatever.

This discussion has been closed.