test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    Oh Boy, incoming rage from some in the community about the limitation in 3.... 2.... 1....
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Someone said on reddit, and I tend to agree: if they included all ships up to the end of the event, it would probably severely hurt their new lockbox/promo ships released in 2021, because a lot of people who might normally try to win them might just 'hold out' to get them free at the end of the event. So, if that's the cause for the decision, it's completely understandable from a business perspective, IMO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Someone said on reddit, and I tend to agree: if they included all ships up to the end of the event, it would probably severely hurt their new lockbox/promo ships released in 2021, because a lot of people who might normally try to win them might just 'hold out' to get them free at the end of the event. So, if that's the cause for the decision, it's completely understandable from a business perspective, IMO.

Yes, it makes sense not to give up a year's sales of new ships, when ship sales keep the game running.

It's slightly disappointing that it isn't a standard infinity or promo token that you can hold onto forever and have new choices added over time like with a "real" gamblebox token or like the past event T6 C-Store tokens.

But I'm not going to whine about getting a FREE promo pack ship that would cost $150+ on the Exchange or on average $250 opening gamble boxes just for logging in 70 times and doing a TFO, also earning piles of dil and 5 account-unlocked single event shinies in the process.
    edited February 2021

Yes, it makes sense not to give up a year's sales of new ships, when ship sales keep the game running.

It's slightly disappointing that it isn't a standard infinity or promo token that you can hold onto forever and have new choices added over time like with a "real" gamblebox token or like the past event T6 C-Store tokens.

But I'm not going to whine about getting a FREE promo pack ship that would cost $150+ on the Exchange or on average $250 opening gamble boxes just for logging in 70 times and doing a TFO.

Sadly there are going to be some who are going to rage, whine and complain that they are being "screwed" over by Cryptic. As well as several will claim due to the amount of "work" you need to do the token should not be limited and be a account unlock.

Without those people realizing as nagus said, or caring, how much of a financial hit that would be to cryptic and the game in general.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    foxman00 wrote: »

But I'm not going to whine about getting a FREE promo pack ship that would cost $150+ on the Exchange or on average $250 opening gamble boxes just for logging in 70 times and doing a TFO.

Sadly there are going to be some who are going to rage, whine and complain that they are being "screwed" over by Cryptic. As well as several will claim due to the amount of "work" you need to do the token should not be limited and be a account unlock.

Without those people realizing as nagus said, or caring, how much of a financial hit that would be to cryptic and the game in general.

Plus, no one has actually invested any time yet. I could see if we were half way through the even and then they made the same announcement they made today, people being upset. But again, no one has spent ANY time on this event yet. So no one can claim Cryptic has screwed them in any way on this, IMO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2021

Plus, no one has actually invested any time yet. I could see if we were half way through the even and then they made the same announcement they made today, people being upset. But again, no one has spent ANY time on this event yet. So no one can claim Cryptic has screwed them in any way on this, IMO.

It has already started on twitter & facebook STO offical pages :). Some are already claiming it is a big FU from Cryptic to the Community or cryptic have just punched them in the face.

Sigh

However, my problem is I have no idea what ship i am going to get with the token :)

Though the S31 Battlecruiser looks interesting to me.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Am just lettin the lockbox ships go. They're too expensive even when they try to give them away free. There's always a 'catch', and no real reason to 'need' one ingame anyway other than bragging rights.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Am just lettin the lockbox ships go. They're too expensive even when they try to give them away free. There's always a 'catch', and no real reason to 'need' one ingame anyway other than bragging rights.

Space Barbie not bragging rights is a need for many of us :)

I might finally get my TOS Human captain a TOS Connie to replace the Arbiter he's using now. I don't care about stats or bragging rights, I just want to complete the theme. Or a TOS Klingon in a D7.

Some are already claiming it is a big FU from Cryptic to the Community or cryptic have just punched them in the face.

Yeah, I should clarify. When I said "no one can complain" I meant "no one has a valid complaint". But yeah, people certain CAN (and will complain) :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I honestly expected something like that. As mentioned, why would it include any upcoming 'big money' ships? That'd be silly to expect.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    > @foxman00 said:
    > or cryptic have just punched them in the face.
    >

Obviously these people have never been punched in the face.

Just as obviously, they need to be.
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    as long as i can get the good section 31 ship i'll be happy
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, otherwise they would make significantly reduced sales on box ships this year since people would just say "oh that's cool, I'll grab it when I get my Event Campaign reward!"
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    The only tier 6 ship I want is the Dhailkhina strike wing warbird and since it's not on the list, my plans remain unchanged, I'm still going to get the 1,500 lobi from the Voth event and then wait patiently for a couple years until they do this again, BTW don't take this as a complaint because it's not.
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > The only tier 6 ship I want is the Dhailkhina strike wing warbird and since it's not on the list, my plans remain unchanged, I'm still going to get the 1,500 lobi from the Voth event and then wait patiently for a couple years until they do this again, BTW don't take this as a complaint because it's not.

Honestly if you take that lobi and wait until a Lobi sale that puts a promo ship in the store you’ll have a decent chance at earning nearly enough to get the ship anyways.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > The only tier 6 ship I want is the Dhailkhina strike wing warbird and since it's not on the list, my plans remain unchanged, I'm still going to get the 1,500 lobi from the Voth event and then wait patiently for a couple years until they do this again, BTW don't take this as a complaint because it's not.

Honestly if you take that lobi and wait until a Lobi sale that puts a promo ship in the store you’ll have a decent chance at earning nearly enough to get the ship anyways.

honestly that Lobi is going towards uniforms and ground weapons, I'm not really much of a ship guy myself.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    I plan on grabbing the promo ship because why not. I'm not 100% sure which ship I'll get, because while I want the 26th century dreads, I'm still feeling like those will wind up in a mudd pack at some point.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    The BIG question is not being answered, the ship chosen, will it be an account wide unlock? Or single serve?
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    > @stark2k said:
    > The BIG question is not being answered,

Except it has.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    > @stark2k said:
    > The BIG question is not being answered,

Except it has.

It does look that way:
    This ship will be a once per account unlock, for a single ship only.

Still, I want to like it to be 100% clear: This ship, chosen from the Infinity lock box or promo packs, is unlocked like an event reward ship, a C-Store ship, or a Mudd ship? As in, I can claim it on other characters, that sort of thing? Because if so, that REALLY muddles up what I might end up getting - especially if, as everyone seems absolutely convinced, there will be a legendary D7 at some point. (I'm leaning towards temporal D7 or Disco D7.)
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »
    As in, I can claim it on other characters, that sort of thing?

No. As has been very clearly stated multiple times in multiple places this is a promo/lockbox ship with all the normal restrictions that apply. You only get to select one single ship on one single character, and that ship is NOT account unlocked or reclaimable.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Clarity -- the cut-off date, is that in reference to ships *released* on or before that date (see: Ba'ul Sentry Ship) or ships *added* to the Infinity Lockbox/Promo set on or before that date? There are a couple ships currently in limbo at the moment, so inquiring minds would like to know.

I am pretty sure it is ship release date. So whenever the ship was released into the game originally.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    As long as all the clarifications and/or caveats for the event are announced before the start then it's all ok to be honest.

If they limit it after today then the pitchforks are justified.

As it stands this is a VERY good event and much better than last years. Almost makes up for the complete joke of a legendary anni pack this year.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Well.. so much for saving it for the Viridian.. (because you KNOW that will be a promo ship instead of a standard Orion Zen ship.)

Not really mad; a little disappointed; half-surprised they aren't imposing a similar limitation to the T6 tokens.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    (I'm leaning towards temporal D7 or Disco D7.)

You mean TOS D7 here right? Just asking cuz you either or it with a Disco D7. :)

Previous legendary releases showed some seemingly must have changes as far as the specialization is concerned so we could easily look at a legendary intel TOS D7 and a legendary temporal Dico D7 for example.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    (I'm leaning towards temporal D7 or Disco D7.)

You mean TOS D7 here right?

Must be that way, since the TOS-D7 is the KDF temporal light cruiser.
This discussion has been closed.