test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward Weekly 2/24/21

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
I missed the first 20 minutes or so, so nothing from that section of the stream
  • They are currently investigating making the new Klingon bridge from the tutorial as a player bridge.
  • Don't foresee a weekend event where they disable TFO/patrol cooldown
  • Disabling player effects in space is a big process because some effects you need to see like gravity well/space tornado so you can know why ships are getting pulled. Game has 25,000 effects that would need to be gone through manually to determine if its essential or not.
  • New Mudd's choice pack being designed. No ETA on release
  • Not sure anyone could go through all uniform pieces to ensure they all have the same color pallet due to how many there are
  • Asked about longer, like 60-90 minute long dungeon like experiences. That isn't what modern MMO markets want. People want shorter experiences they can just come in and do. 20 person, hour long, TFO, would take like 12 weeks of full time work.
  • Temporal Recruit will probably be rerun sometime this year, but wont be the first rerun this year
  • Considering more patrols, ground patrols also
  • Likely to do more TFOs based on episodes like Battle at the Binary Stars/Synth Wave
  • Unlikely to do a Terran/Tal Shiar specific campaign because some people say they want to play evil characters, but most people don't. Hisotrically an issue with City of Villains also, few people bought it/played it. Same thing with Klingons, even with all the recent updates there is a slice of people playing them, but not a large slice. Also goes against the theme of Star Trek. Might not sit well with CBS.Same issue with the Decypher RPG game, CBS didn't like a MU expansion book.
  • Tzenkethi BOFF unlikely due to size/animation rig. Have talked about using the tech used in Quark's Lucky Seven to make a BOFF that only has access to specific powers designed for it.
  • Jessie would like to take a crack at reworking crafting specialization manuals for BOFFs to be less of a hassle
  • Its technically possible to use nemesis like tech to make a MU version of you
  • There is always some sort of reason about why they don't advance the in-game year more often
  • Looking into reworking the Borg at some point
  • Might get Enterprise content at some point
  • Expansions are unlikely at this point
  • New storyline they are doing could possibly tie into Enterprise based on the content of some episodes of ENT
  • Numbers have shown that a lot more people like the new trek then don't
  • Jessie would like to do more Obisek in the future
  • Are aware of how many people want Discovery Androians and Saurians, might be this year if they have time
  • No plans to do a fleet revamp right now
  • New fleet holding maybe
  • Might be able to get fleet marks added to the Borg TFOs
  • Exploration wont come back in the way they was before, old star cluster system had so much data it added multiple days for new builds to process/was also bad content. Questioned how much exploration do we actually see in Star Trek? Exploration is typically just the hook to get people somewhere where something interesting happens for the episode. Charting gaseous anomaly would just be press F, and isn't fun. Jeremy was in on the chat saying every episode of Star trek was an interruption of true exploration. People expect stakes in story, which true exploration doesn't have.
  • Unlikely to see procedurally generated patrols
  • Will look into getting To Hell With Honor into the normal TFO menu
  • Well there ever be a Year of Romulan? They already basically did it by upgrading old Romulan missions with new VA and dialog but it wasn't advertised because Kael wasn't told about it until it was basically done.
  • Unlikely to see a new mega bundle for just one faction, besides maybe Federation, due to playerbase reasons
  • Cross faction ship flying was done to make creating Klingon and Romulan ships easier
  • Increasing the endeavor cap was something they had wanted to do for awhile. Still looking into future cap increases
  • New factions unlikely due to the amount of work needed for it. Probably wouldn't get the return trying to make a Cardassian faction, hence why they are a species unlock
  • To Hell With Honor likely wont ever have the turrets on the consoles due to lower draw amounts on consoles
  • No current information on any upgrades for the next gen consoles. Core programmer team likely going to look into optimizing STO, Neverwitner, etc. for modern systems later this year
  • No plans for an official DPS parser due to various problems
  • There is a list of reasons why Starbase 24 isn't on holodeck, but is on tribble. Needs people to work on it
  • Small ship content might happen, but unlikely due to not being fun/people not liking it. They had an idea for an interesting shuttle thing previously they want to get done
  • Currently looking at the in-game options to improve things like possibly a renderscale slider
  • Unlikely to due a roadmap this year due to needing to be extremely shfitable due to COVID
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    [*] No plans for an official DPS parser due to various problems

The problems are math... :D

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Disabling player effects in space is a big process because some effects you need to see like gravity well/space tornado so you can know why ships are getting pulled.

This is such TRIBBLE nonsense. Am I the only one sick of the Devs telling me what I need to see in combat?
    Likely to do more TFOs based on episodes like Battle at the Binary Stars/Synth Wave

Great, more boring TFOs with nothing but infinite waves of frigates to blow up. [sarcasm]I can't wait![/sarcasm]
    Jessie would like to do more Obisek in the future

Yes, please!
    Might be able to get fleet marks added to the Borg TFOs

This is good news. It is about time. I don't see what could be so hard about this.
    Cross faction ship flying was done to make creating Klingon and Romulan ships easier

I won't hold my breath. I would love to be wrong but, I don't expect more than 1 new Rom ship.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Again, many thanks to somtaawkhar for the synopsis.

Temporal Recruit will probably be rerun sometime this year, but wont be the first rerun this year This is a bit of good news & a hint I suppose.

Considering more patrols, ground patrols also I remember them saying this from the get go with the new Patrol system.

Looking into reworking the Borg at some point Leave Normal gameplay at the difficulty it is at then raise the Borg difficulty for Advanced & Elite I'd think.

Might be able to get fleet marks added to the Borg TFOs I think this would be a positive & almost like a quality of life improvement to the game. lol

Expansions are unlikely at this point I think just as Cryptic moved-on & away from updating Phoenix mostly into the Mudd's as a priority I think Cryptic is thinking similar to Expansions as out with the old & in with the new "legendary" bundles.

Jessie would like to do more Obisek in the future I found Jesse's backstory about Obisek fascinating since I've always considered Obisek one of the more interesting characters since my initial run-through of that storyline content. I definitely think Obisek could be progressed further.

Are aware of how many people want Discovery Androians and Saurians, might be this year if they have time I think that Borticus had touched on this previously, but their new "sub-species" I think is a good compromise method of offering these new species' versions just like the new Discovery Klingons. I think even retroactively go back & include Discovery & the TOS Feds as "sub-species". While Cryptic is at it toss-in a Suliban under the Romulan tab.

New fleet holding maybe Sorry I forgot who but saw on the Twitch chat a suggestion of a new Reputation Tier being: Khitomer Alliance which I think would make sense.

Originally the Voth Advance event was just going to be a Breach event until Kael reminded them that Cryptic had promised to not do events with just one TFO/option to play for progress Good of Kael.

Having players be able to summon the other ships they have ran into problems of how that would work with TFOs, needing whole new systems to select such a thing from your ship menu, etc. Became squadron mechanic for Jem'Hadar in ViL I find these sort of "happenings" interesting & think the outcome was pretty good except if it was meant for all then why did Cryptic decide to then limit it to just Jem'Hadar?

Klingon recruitment event did really well. 25% of players made a new Klingon character. Lots of them have significant time investment Overall I enjoyed it & I'm not done enjoying my newly created KDF recruit. I just wish Cryptic would've mentioned they stopped, it seemed to have ceased after last week's patch, dropping the small dilithium boxes before the end of the event. Also, the lesser equipment rewards compared to other recruitment events was subpar. Besides those 2 minor issues the KDF recruit event was fun & well done imo. When Cryptic rewards mostly Rare gear to KDF recruits & Fed recruits get Very Rare & Cryptic wonders why some might think there's bias. The possible off-set to balance is still KDF got a SHIP.

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Cross faction ship flying was done to make creating Klingon and Romulan ships easier

eh what? id like to know how this makes it easier.

Now that Fed players can fly Klingon and Romulan ships their hope is that those players will be willing to buy new Klingon and Romulan ships going forward. Essentially, cross faction flying has drastically increased the number of potential customers for Klingon and Romulan ships.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    westmetals wrote: »
    [*] Not sure anyone could go through all uniform pieces to ensure they all have the same color pallet due to how many there are

Just do one uniform set at a time. Start with the Fed-specific ones such as the All Good Things. Drop it into a weekly patch them move to the next one.

Or create a new, fully inclusive color pallet and write a script to switch every piece to the new pallet. The same thing could be done to get all badges usable on all tops.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Or create a new, fully inclusive color pallet and write a script to switch every piece to the new pallet. The same thing could be done to get all badges usable on all tops.

Badge issues may involve clipping and stuff like that. Also I believe that word is CBS has dictated what color pallets certain uniforms are allowed, which means its out of Cryptic's hands.
    eh? wtf? how is this even an issue? why dont they cross reference the forums for posts about how a top color in no way matches a bottom color even if using the same color box. this is lazy.

I think its less lazy and more "not enough hours in the day". Don't forget they're working on a lot of stuff. Tweaking older uniforms is probably ending up being a side project for one artist or another on their own time.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I did enjoy that story behind Jesse's Millennium Falcon. After going through all of that I'd be proud & thankful for that LEGO model too.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

As usual thank you for linking information. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    [*] New fleet holding maybe

There is hope that this includes a maybe NOT as well. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    [*] Not sure anyone could go through all uniform pieces to ensure they all have the same color pallet due to how many there are

Just do one uniform set at a time. Start with the Fed-specific ones such as the All Good Things. Drop it into a weekly patch them move to the next one.

Weird as it sounds, that could take up most or all of one of the artist's time for that week, and the number of pieces in total in the game means it could take years. They may simply not have an artist to spare for it on a regular basis.

The reason it could take so long is that typically the textures for clothing like that can be composed of quite a few layers (doing an avatar skin in Second Life meant having to deal with about fifty layers layers for instance, and while clothing could have fewer layers often it was not much less depending on if it was changeable or not) between all the color, pattern and shade modifiers, masks, and the rest.

And the way those layers interact can be rather weird so it often takes quite a few tries to get the expected results when you start changing the base colors.

Unfortunately it is unlikely to be automatable since if you know what to look for it is obvious that the clothing pieces were not all made exactly the same way. The Romulan civilian skirt is a good example of that, someone was apparently experimenting with a completely different shading and subsurface stack from the usual stuff to make it have that light, silky, airy look instead of the usual heavy rubbery leather, suede or thick spandex (and sometimes metal) look.

Throw enough people at it and it could be done in a reasonable time, the trick is scraping up that many skilled digital artists when the team for this game is so small.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

As usual thank you for linking information. :)

Anytime, Pete!
    There's stuff in there that should be discussed, but quite frankly: I cba to do it once again, as it's a pointless battle.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    rattler2 wrote: »

Badge issues may involve clipping and stuff like that.

As much clipping as there already is in the game they should let the players decide if they want to use pieces that clip with each other or not.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • evilspokevilspok Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    So they justify the "Space Tornado" saying I need to be able to see it? You mean by blotting out the entire rest of the game ?
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Numbers have shown that a lot more people like the new trek then don't

This statement feels absurd and suspicious on the surface, to make a claim in either direction. Where are these numbers? Was there a poll? What is the methodology behind these numbers? I'm sure there is context missing here, but it is a crazy statement to make in any case, again in either direction.

As a rule I never trust numbers that are claimed, but not shown. As teachers/professors always said: Show your work.

To guess, I'd suspect they were basing this claim on 'metrics' meaning purchases of ST:D or ST:P ships which has nothing to do with liking the shows, nor even the content in game. I mean, personally, I have most of the ST:D derivative ships, but I don't fly any of them, and find them various degrees of ugly, but some of the traits are good. I've still never seen the show itself so if I'm counted in that number either way, its flat out wrong.

And if that's how they are coming up with that statement, it implies serious flaws in how they use their metrics as well, because they would be making a claim on something they have literally no information for, ignoring all the other possible reasons people buy those ships.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    eh what? id like to know how this makes it easier.
    It used to be hard to justify making Klingon or Romulan ships since the vats majority of the playerbase played only Federation.

By making all ships cross faction, and thus, allowing Fed characters to play Klingon and Romulan ships, it opens up a much wider base to buy said ships.

They hope that Rom and KDF ships will sell more now, so they can justify making more.

hope...key word. sorry, but unless you have missed the past few years on this forum, you would know that those who are ROM players dont care much for FED ships. they play ROM for a reason. all this really means is more FED ships, KDF and ROM be dammed. however, i will side with you and give them a year to produce new faction ships for those two vs FED. but my bet is they wont as compared to FED ships.

Well from what I've read it's not about ROM or KDF players buying FED ships but the other way around, after all if FED players buy ROM or KDF ships then there's more justification to make those isn't there?

And I seriously doubt majority of FED players are fanatics who'd only ever buy FED ships, since that's what you're obviously implying.

This statement feels absurd and suspicious on the surface, to make a claim in either direction. Where are these numbers? Was there a poll? What is the methodology behind these numbers? I'm sure there is context missing here, but it is a crazy statement to make in any case, again in either direction.

My guess would be that his statement was based on the percentage of players that make and play Disco characters, Disco ship sales numbers, etc.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    It'd be great to see more patrols.

Hopefully without time gates. I prefer the Drozana one because it rewards having a powerful build in terms of how fast you can complete it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I'm also hoping they can find the time to work on the uniforms eventually.

It is really annoying when you can't match colours or when materials of some parts are more shiny than other ones.

It doesn't have to be completed tomorrow, even some gradual improvements would be good. Players do care about these things, even if the spending is probably low in comparison to ships and gear.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

My guess would be that his statement was based on the percentage of players that make and play Disco characters, Disco ship sales numbers, etc.

Yes, that's my guess as well, but that makes the statement a complete non-sequitur.

I made a Disco char to see what they did with it, not because I like ST:D. Any Disco ships I have are almost all for the traits, none of them are because I liked what they did in the show or because I like the style. They are hideous, and I've never even seen ST:D.

If this is how they are interpreting their metrics and data it makes me very concerned that they don't have a clue what they are looking at.
This discussion has been closed.