test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Voth advance, flaming sword

admiralnoob#4796 admiralnoob Member Posts: 11 Arc User
Usually I am not one to complain about rewards or anything really. But a melee weapon for STO? This game is the least melee friendly game I know at this point so what's up with the flaming sword? No one are going to use that. Ok I guess it's supposed to be cool being a fire sword and all the included rah rah but those weapons are basically useless on STO.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Whew. Thank you for telling me I won't use that sword. I mean, I thought I would and was looking forward to trying, but you've taken the weight of that decision off my shoulders! :p

(Yes, melee combat is probably the most problematic combat type in the game. Still, I do enjoy it periodically and am actually looking forward to getting the sword to see how it works.)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Swords tend to be a lot easier to handle in STO than Bat'leths, as they have a gap closer. Not only that, that new sword has a chain ability to pull them to you.

Also... certain enemy groups are better to use swords against, like the Borg. My fleet used to do entire Sword Runs of Cure ground, and had a blast just running around like a bunch of crazy people slashing drones.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Swords tend to be a lot easier to handle in STO than Bat'leths, as they have a gap closer. Not only that, that new sword has a chain ability to pull them to you.

Also... certain enemy groups are better to use swords against, like the Borg. My fleet used to do entire Sword Runs of Cure ground, and had a blast just running around like a bunch of crazy people slashing drones.

Yea I think this Sword will be useful for my Recruit to help earn the Melee Kills; though I know the new Lockbox also offers a Trait or Kit that perhaps some should investigate as well.

Though like Rattler I'm not big fan of Melee myself. Still I think it's nice they recently given a few expanded options for those who like it. Also I think the new Bat'leth eventually unlocks a ability to teleport, unless I'm mixing that with something else... *hint* see paragraph above.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Agreed with the OP - In the 7 years I've played this game I've never used melee for anything. It seems they are trying to revitalize melee combat with a lot of recent items and the KDF recruits, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze on this event. This is a very niche item in my opinion. Not even sure what this sword is from or how it's related to Star Trek.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    With the way the NPC's pull back when fighting and the fact that almost all of them are ranged when you do fight them and that you need a pulling device to attack with, but i doubt Cryptic do anything about this 99% ranged focused game. This sword has no appeal to me at all, hard pass.

Unless Cryptic are willing to get off their hands and make it more Melee friendly and add more npc melee mobs into the game, i don't see the point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    strathkin wrote: »

Yea I think this Sword will be useful for my Recruit to help earn the Melee Kills; though I know the new Lockbox also offers a Trait that perhaps some should investigate as well.

Though like Rattler I'm not big fan of Melee myself. Still I think it's nice they recently given a few expanded options for those who like it. Also I think the new Bat'leth eventually unlocks a ability to teleport, unless I'm mixing that with something else...

I don't know about any teleport, but the recruit's bat'leth does have a decent lunge distance. Since they updated that, I haven't had much trouble keeping in range, even with the runners.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User

the new bat'leth has a gap closer. as soon as you are REMOTELY close hold the right slash key ad you run at the target. very nice indeed. the Mek'leths do it too. I wish they would retrofit the shard of Kahless's sword to have it, as i like the look of that one more
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    edited February 2021

the new bat'leth has a gap closer. as soon as you are REMOTELY close hold the right slash key ad you run at the target. very nice indeed. the Mek'leths do it too. I wish they would retrofit the shard of Kahless's sword to have it, as i like the look of that one more

Agreed. Plus, that one looks like a bat'leth rather than some kind of wall ornament with delusions of grandeur.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Ok, i wont use the sword, it seems... somebody has told us no one will use it, and we must prove him right!!... now, seriously, i want that sword.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    The image that came to my mind when I saw the silly "chain-pull" function on this sword, was of going to Nimbus III and dragging the Gorn rock-throwers down. Hilarious! Of course, there are any number of ways to deal with them already, but a video of this sword vs. them (with Yakkety Sax background music) would be meme-worthy. ;)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    those weapons are basically useless on STO.

Melee combat is fun.. you have no idea what you’re talking about.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    flame sword, what else you can wish for, now we can berserk in name of Kahless :dizzy:
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    I love melee combat, I can't wait to get this sword, would be fun shouting "GET OVER!" every time you drag them with the chain attack.
  • thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I'm sorry but this sword single-handedly wins the Captain Leeta fight.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Personally, I remember a time when melee-weapons were an incredibly valid choice for secondary weapons on elite-Omega-STF's, to earn the MACO/HG/Omega-gear and get the optionals for accolades and costume-unlocks.

For weapons without a built-in gap-closer, there are options like lunge.

Yeah, STO's melee-mechanic is very clunky and somewhat half-baked, but it works, and always did.
  • lasershadow#9220 lasershadow Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Anyone who's gonna complain about Molor's Flaming Sword remember some sweet Blades that Kratos wields looking and used like that:
    https://godofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Blades_of_Chaos
    https://godofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Blades_of_Athena
    https://godofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Blades_of_Exile
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    The funny part is the sword seems to be part of the grand prize package, so it'll take most of the year to earn, can can be binned for later retrieval.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    The funny part is the sword seems to be part of the grand prize package, so it'll take most of the year to earn, can can be binned for later retrieval.

The sword is a reward for 14 days of progress in the current Voth event, so you can have it within the next couple of weeks.

The 5-event campaign is different. You get progress toward that in this event, but it has its own set of rewards to choose.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator

Yeah, STO's melee-mechanic is very clunky and somewhat half-baked, but it works, and always did.

Lunge is only really applicable to Tactical though. Sci and Engie don't have access to that. Although Science does have Crowd Control abilities and various holds.

And IMO STO's ground combat is less clunky than Champions Online..
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    it's a shame but it would be really exciting if the flames changed color, either based on the race wielding it or the armor worn. A Romulans would be green, of course, Fed blue, KDF Red and Dominion purple
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Also... certain enemy groups are better to use swords against, like the Borg.

I prefer a fully loaded Thompson SMG 😎
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Personally, I remember a time when melee-weapons were an incredibly valid choice for secondary weapons on elite-Omega-STF's, to earn the MACO/HG/Omega-gear and get the optionals for accolades and costume-unlocks.

The Personalized Spatial Trajector kit module teleports you to your foe and is not class specific, anyone can use it.
    lordmalak1 wrote: »

Completely wrong. You get it at the end of the Voth Event.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    The Server just crashed a second ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • lasershadow#9220 lasershadow Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    it's a shame but it would be really exciting if the flames changed color, either based on the race wielding it or the armor worn. A Romulans would be green, of course, Fed blue, KDF Red and Dominion purple

Perhaps it could have a specific visual toggle that allows you to pick which weapon type it would look like. Or maybe a slot to insert a weapon that it take visual cues from.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User

Fun fact: The Borg appear to adapt to the fire damage part of the sword. Physical is fine, but they adapt to the fire component.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    IDK; I think it will look nice on my FAKK2 / Julie Strain memorial character.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The sword was the reward for the previous event on console (instead of the targ PC got) and having tried it there already it's really nothing fancy.

The "get over here" part just felt like an attempt to offset the way the game roots players and general lack of gap closing when NPC's invariably back away to just outside that range.
This discussion has been closed.