test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Privateer

2»

Comments

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    Just to remind you guys/girls I never said that I wanted to play as one, I just explained how it can work from a story prospective, Personally I rather have a Borg Faction myself.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    i dont see why people are so against this option. its been mentioned many times before, and then we get the nays in droves.

why would the feds have privateers? a means to an end. every gov has something similar, and if you dont think they do, then im not sure what to tell you. hell, the game is so centric with shoot, kill, blow it up, rinse and repeat, its a wonder we dont have this option anyway.

Actualy no, privateering has been abolished by almost every nation for over a century now.

In 1856 52 nations, including all major naval powers except America abolished letters of marque and banned privateers.

Read a history book every now and again.

lmao. if you think insulting me changes my mind, think again.

and if you think the books you read are 100% accurate, then you sir are a fool.

the letters you reference are just a symbolic gesture. in other words, no nation outwardly admits nor condones said actions, but secretly operates them.
    Yeah, that's really easy to do in a world where almost everyone carries around a camera that can connect near-instantly to a worldwide decentralized computer network.

So what is the latest style in foil hats these days? And does aluminum foil work as well as tin?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    i dont see why people are so against this option. its been mentioned many times before, and then we get the nays in droves.

why would the feds have privateers? a means to an end. every gov has something similar, and if you dont think they do, then im not sure what to tell you. hell, the game is so centric with shoot, kill, blow it up, rinse and repeat, its a wonder we dont have this option anyway.

Actualy no, privateering has been abolished by almost every nation for over a century now.

In 1856 52 nations, including all major naval powers except America abolished letters of marque and banned privateers.

the letters you reference are just a symbolic gesture. in other words, no nation outwardly admits nor condones said actions, but secretly operates them.

You don't really know what a privateer is do you?

A privateer is a private individual not affiliated with a millitary who owns his/her own ship and conducts military actions against the enemy of a nation. These actions legitimised by a letter of marque.

No nation allows private individuals to conduct military actions at sea in the modern era. It's stupid when every modern nation has highly trained and equipped military forces of their own for both open and so-called "black ops".

The British SBS is a good example of this.

• shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User

We'd know if some semi-rogue vessel was going around sinking other ships, or purloining their cargo and pressing their crew. As interesting a world as that might (and almost certainly would) be, it isn't happening, and hasn't happened in centuries.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User

You don't really know what a privateer is do you?

A privateer is a private individual not affiliated with a millitary who owns his/her own ship and conducts military actions against the enemy of a nation. These actions legitimised by a letter of marque.

No nation allows private individuals to conduct military actions at sea in the modern era. It's stupid when every modern nation has highly trained and equipped military forces of their own for both open and so-called "black ops".

The British SBS is a good example of this.

id say the issues off the coast of Africa would dispute some elements of that. while i am not there, and i would guess you are not either, i have not read anything denoting piracy vs privateer, although most refer to pirates off the coast.

even a letter could be disputed, if presented.

this article offers some historical (since you like it) position of privateers in the US.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/april/us-privateering-legal

mattingly1 wrote: »

We'd know if some semi-rogue vessel was going around sinking other ships, or purloining their cargo and pressing their crew. As interesting a world as that might (and almost certainly would) be, it isn't happening, and hasn't happened in centuries.

see above.

That article is nothing more than a what-if debate.

As I said most other nations have banned privateering. In THEORY America could issue a letter of marque but they have not done so since the US civil war. It takes an act of congress to issue a letter of marque.

What's happening off the African coast isn't privateering, it's pure piracy. The Somali government has not issued letters of marque, nor is there a nation with which they are at war and in which they might wish to employ privateers. The Somali pirates are straight up sea-thieves.

(It's also worth noting that piracy incidents have been dropping off sharply in the Gulf of Guinea as the Somali government has become more organized.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,501 Arc User
    Privatier could be possible as an origin story, and a character created as such could, like the Jem'hadar, start at Level 65. Rather than level through all the pre-existing stuff yet again, it could introduce a series of gameplay loops that feed into a big meta game that those who reach 65 enter into. They should have access to ALL ships/races/costumes. Intro could have them flying a generic ship that is practically falling apart, but Alliance Command likes the results of their mission and is willing to give them their choice of scalable T6 ship.

The point is that if the JH get an origin story that starts the player at max level, then other origin stories can be given the same thing, and be tailored to certain prrequisites other than chosen faction or whatever to determine which missions/gameplay loops are available.

No matter what, tho, it would require Cryptic to do work that would pull their limited talent away from the elements they can barely fix and maintain.

The Jem'Hadar starting at endgame was just a fad that was popular several years ago (like Tera's Reaper class) that was already fading when ViL came out, it is unlikely that they would ever do another one like that since industry data shows that fad to be rather unprofitable for the most part and not particularly popular with today's average player.

The game would be better served by expanding the "Jem'Hadar" faction (actually Odo's expeditionary force) into an actual Dominion demifaction by including Vorta, possibly some others from DS9, and an "alien" tab like every other faction has in their character generator, than it would by making another gee-wiz flash in the pan endgame-starting class. Not that they are likely to do that either.

• jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    + Endeavors... Random rotation of tracked occurrences. Actually could be quite awesome if applied to an end-game metagame that allows player activity to impact the game world as a whole... but isn't. Because that would mean real work.

What was the last significant GAMEPLAY system they added.

The Endeavors end-game metagame "expansion", so to speak, would be really cool.
    It could influence stuff like DOFFs assignments and Admiralty, for example, by giving out a critical boost to specific assignments.
    Or it could influence item drop rates and bonus marks.

The possibilities would be quite interesting to explore. But, as you said, it would mean real work... and they couldn't even be bothered to make it so that the personal endeavors would count account-wide, hence why we're forced to start and finish an endeavor on the same character.

As for the last significant gameplay added? I think we can count the Disco rep. But then again, the template was already there, they just changed the currency and the items you can obtain from it.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    jonsills wrote: »
    What's happening off the African coast isn't privateering, it's pure piracy. The Somali government has not issued letters of marque, nor is there a nation with which they are at war and in which they might wish to employ privateers. The Somali pirates are straight up sea-thieves.

(It's also worth noting that piracy incidents have been dropping off sharply in the Gulf of Guinea as the Somali government has become more organized.)

noted, as i stated in my reply, they are regarded as pirates more so. and yes, the piracy events have declined, however, some articles show another uptick in it. maybe not worth the world news uptick, but some.

im thinking the gov allowed said piracy and gained from it. letter or not. again affording the gov the ability to decry said actions. :)
    Not "pirates more so", just "pirates". A privateer is a person or crew formally contracted by a nation-state to serve as a supplement to their own naval forces, and is generally restricted by said contract to attacking craft with a military value. Pirates hijack transportation ships in order to make a profit.

As for "the government" allowing it - the Somali government collapsed in 1991 after a series of civil wars and insurrections. A new government wasn't established until 2012, is still working on bringing the nation under some sort of control, and there are signs that the UAE has encouraged a "lawless" state there in order to distract their opponents in the region from focusing on them (thus leaving them with more forces to throw into Yemen). So, basically, what government?

The point stands that if you want a privateer in STO, that's not a "faction" - privateers would be employed by factions. It's just a matter of backstory, really. Your best bet for that, thematically, would probably be the Romulan Republic, as the KDF seems to disapprove of anyone more loyal to darseks than Honor and Empire, and it seems likely the Feds would see privateers as "beneath them". However, I'm sure that if you want a privateer who's employed by the Feds or the Empire, it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a story. You might want to make a Fed privateer a washout from the Academy or a Starfleet retiree, in order to explain the early parts of the arc.

If it's piracy you're after, Sea of Thieves is over that way.
    >
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.