test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Set Bonus & Calculation?

snowpiercer#1188 snowpiercer Member Posts: 77 Arc User
edited February 2021 in The Academy
Anyone know a clear source for understanding how these bonuses are calculated? I'd assume bonuses to weapon damage are generally (always?) based on the base damage and not a value already boosted by something else. Is there a way to know the base damage of an item without ANY bonuses? If I'm on ground and a space weapon is in inventory, does its stats include any bonuses from anywhere? Traits, skills, etc.? Or is this indeed it's "core" stats?

The reason is, I have a space set and the 3-piece states "+28.5% Disruptor Damage" and my DH Cannons show 903.9 damage from ground in inventory. If I were good at math, I'd take this to mean this 3-piece set would add 903.9+28.5%=257.61 additional damage. But after applying the 3-piece in planetary space, the cannons gain 95 damage, about a 10% gain.

I'm just curious because I was never good at this "new" math.

Comments

• Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    It's not "new math". Just a distinction between the unmodified damage and the modified damage.

Boosters that do not use the word "Bonus" are indeed based on the item's unmodified damage... not the displayed amount... essentially they do not see each other. You can see this for example with tactical consoles. Adding one, two, three, etc identical tactical consoles will yield the same numeric benefit on each iteration.

Boosters that do use the word "Bonus" are then calculated on the modified damage after all of the non-Bonus modifiers are taken into account.

So in your case for example it would appear the item's unmodified base damage is probably about 330.

How do you determine the unmodified damage to be 330? It says 903.9 and the website lists the damage even higher, over 1000. If I put a weapon in my bank, what damage multipliers have an affect on the stats? This is where I'm not clear on this. How is the base damage actually determined? In other words, why does it list 903.9?

Also, you're saying a "Bonus" addition is being applied on top of already existing boosts? There must be some priority here then or is all "bonus" simply applied after calculating all non-bonus type boosts?

If you had a bonus of +15% on something and +10% on another item, would it just calculate +25% on top of all non-bonus damage?

Thank you for this info.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    It's not "new math". Just a distinction between the unmodified damage and the modified damage.

Boosters that do not use the word "Bonus" are indeed based on the item's unmodified damage... not the displayed amount... essentially they do not see each other. You can see this for example with tactical consoles. Adding one, two, three, etc identical tactical consoles will yield the same numeric benefit on each iteration.

Boosters that do use the word "Bonus" are then calculated on the modified damage after all of the non-Bonus modifiers are taken into account.

So in your case for example it would appear the item's unmodified base damage is probably about 330.

Okay, just made a lengthy reply and it was deleted somehow. I'll try again:

How do you determine the base damage at around 330? Are you simply working backwards from the damage gain? How does one know the "base" damage of a weapon? If I look on the website, it lists the generic DH Cannons as over 1000 damage. Isn't this base damage? It can't be affected by any player stats or ship on the website. Why does my weapon list 903 damage if I place it into my bank and I'm on ground? Just trying to determine how this "base" stat is found. Or is "base" spec taken as a white item at Mk I, regardless of how it is upgraded?

And items with a "Bonus" damage: You are saying they are added after "all" non-bonus type damage is calculated? If I have a +15% and a +10% "bonus" item, it adds 25% after the non-bonus damage is calculated?

Thanks for this info.
  • Options
    Okay, I just found info that states that dual heavy cannons have a base damage of 288. This is why it's confusing because this value is nowhere to be found in the game that I'm aware of.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    As I suspected something like this, I found this quote from a page:
    Base damage refers to the damage that a mark 0 common variant of a weapon does.

The source is about 5 years old and I'm sure some of these figures change from time to time, but it states that DHC have a base damage of 173.

And I just realized that the modifiers on higher Mark items must be reflected in the values. Mark 0 Common items would have no modifier, I presume. Starting to make more sense now. If I can learn this, I can better plan for what gear I want.
  • Options
    As I suspected something like this, I found this quote from a page:
    Base damage refers to the damage that a mark 0 common variant of a weapon does.

The source is about 5 years old and I'm sure some of these figures change from time to time, but it states that DHC have a base damage of 173.

And I just realized that the modifiers on higher Mark items must be reflected in the values. Mark 0 Common items would have no modifier, I presume. Starting to make more sense now. If I can learn this, I can better plan for what gear I want.

Only Dmg modifiers would affect the displayed damage.

Weapons get one modifier per level of rarity. Mark number has nothing to do with it.
    I think it does.
    As the Mark (Mk) level of a weapon increases, it gets a damage boost.

I think this is why they determine base damage on a Mark 0 weapon.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    math
    Math ? These folks do a lot of it and have calculators and spreadsheets to - https://reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/index