test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Rename?

snowpiercer#1188 snowpiercer Member Posts: 79 Arc User
The character screen has a rename option and it says FREE, yet clicking it opens a window that shows "Available FREE", yet clicking the button just closes the window.

Is this a bug?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Is this a bug?

The free part probably is unless the character's previous name broke a rule and they forced a change on you, the window closing when you push the button might just be because you didn't actually pay for a rename.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • snowpiercer#1188 snowpiercer Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Is this a bug?

The free part probably is unless the character's previous name broke a rule and they forced a change on you, the window closing when you push the button might just be because you didn't actually pay for a rename.
    If it isn't free, it should open the store and allow you to purchase one, shouldn't it? It shows the same thing for all my toons.

BTW, if they are forcing you to rename a toon, it will popup a window when you click "Rename" and want you to buy a token. Instead, you must do something unintuitive like just click on the background of your character's button to rename for free. My guess is to trick people into thinking they have to pay.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,102 Arc User
    Here's what I see when mousing over the rename button on the character selection screen (on PC) -

DAKbUau.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    I recently renamed a character, and same thing happened to me. I hit Rename, it told me it was free (I knew it shouldn't be, I didn't have a rename token) I clicked on it and it just closed.. nothing happened.

Not sure why it does that, but renames are not free. I got the token and then it worked fine. It didn't open the store dialogue though, I had to log in with a character, buy the token and then drop back to the character select and rename.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • snowpiercer#1188 snowpiercer Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Yeah, I knew they were not normally free. Just thought it might be a special promotion or something, because it said free on all my toons.
  • imperialgeminiimperialgemini Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Most of us KNOW it is not supposed to be free, since that is why they have rename tokens. However, The whole point of this post is that they are SHOWING it as free and that gets confusing. You click on rename it has a free button, where normally it should be buy rename token and take you to C-Store. When you click on the button marked Free, it just closes the window. So it seems like it is bugged. Almost as if they had a promotion for a free rename then forgot to change the options back to buy rename token. I think all we are asking is that they put a little bit of effort into fixing this so that it takes you to the C-store properly to buy a rename token so you can rename the character.

Now you probably can log-in, open the C-store to buy a rename token and then use it. So just a mild inconvenience of a few extra steps. But the comments that are replying to the original post that just ask more questions about how it should have been is not helping. We want the developers here to see there is a MINOR issue that should be easy for them to correct.

The STO game developers have this tendency to ignore minor issues. Unless it is some major bug that disrupts game play and has their entire player base clamoring for it to be fixed. Then they do not normally bother with these minor inconveniences. Which is a shame because minor inconveniences do matter and you would hope they would take it seriously. Yes prioritize major bug fixes first, but I am sure one of them can spare a day to just fix this. Of course the devil is in the details and maybe this minor inconvenience requires more code work than they want to pay a programmer to fix.

Edited:

Now I have tested this. You can login to one of your characters. Go to the C-store and buy the retrain token for 350zen. Once you do, you have to go back to character select, you cannot use it while logged in. You can then click the rename and it works properly.

As for why they have it marked as free and just closing the window when you have no rename tokens, seems to be a minor bug. They should fix it so it allows you to purchase the rename token right from the character select window like it used to. But again this is a MINOR inconvenience.
This discussion has been closed.