test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will you keep using melee or cloak/ambush attacks once you have completed the goal?

2»

Comments

• aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    I greatly dislike standard STO melee weapons, where you have to press say, 3, then 4, then 3 again or some other annoying combination to do meaningful attacks. It's awkward and just plain irritating given how mobile combat tends to be. If we get more weapons like the nanopulse pistols though...yeah, absolutely. Rifle Butt/Palm Strike is a wasted power slot on most weapons, IMO. It's cool that some weapons turn it into something better.

As for cloaking, I still haven't started that. I lazily leveled my way up on a faceroll Fek'lhri carrier, but no, in general I don't care for cloaking ships.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    2500 Ambush done. Now back to my regular play style.
    If they had required 25000 regular kills i probably would have gotten that one done sooner than the bothersome ambush kills.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Once I get the 2500 cloak kills, I will go back to non-cloaking ships. Or if they do have a cloak, ignoring it like I have all these years. It's just not my style.

As for melee... hmmm, not sure. I have to say, the damage increase with melee weapons over ranged is rather nice. But the way enemies only need to take a half step away from me (or my BOff's) to make melee useless is a huge turn off. I might keep a melee weapon in the secondary slot to use from time to time, but the BOff's will definitely be going back to ranged. And my captains likely will too.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    I'll keep ambushing while in ships that can cloak. I'm currently flying noncloaking ships for their unlocks.
    I'm of 2 minds about melee. I was able to sail through difficult combats that I used to struggle with, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm using melee, or I have 250+ endeavor points. On the other hand, it just feels clunky, and there are enough enemies that you can't melee that you really need a gun to fall back on. Most of my boffs are now using rep weapons (one is using the Discovery melee weapon), and I now switch between melee and guns as needed on my captain.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I am really liking this Recruit Bat'leth, so my other Klingons will probably use it as a secondary weapon. Sometimes the optimal tactic is to grab something and smack it in the face. Most of my captains have Suus Manha or another melee weapon, a few of them are Nanopulse from either Winter Wonderland or Civil War story episodes.

Cloaking still has its issues. I'm now back to using cloak only at the start of a group or between groups, but Battle Cloaking mid fight is where I usually get "stuck in cloak" bug. So I'm not doing that so much.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I am really liking this Recruit Bat'leth, so my other Klingons will probably use it as a secondary weapon. Sometimes the optimal tactic is to grab something and smack it in the face. Most of my captains have Suus Manha or another melee weapon, a few of them are Nanopulse from either Winter Wonderland or Civil War story episodes.

Cloaking still has its issues. I'm now back to using cloak only at the start of a group or between groups, but Battle Cloaking mid fight is where I usually get "stuck in cloak" bug. So I'm not doing that so much.

I've had that "stuck in cloak bug" happen to me a couple of times. Once had to pop-out of map to have it reset. The most recent it corrected itself after about 30 seconds. I think it can happen when cloaking/decloaking fast for example you cloak then click to pick-up an item & it decloaks you, just not sure.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Yeah, it seems to be if you decloak at just the wrong time in the animation, I get stuck instead. Interacting, dialogue popup, looting, and dying are my best fixes. Or, if in just the right ship, Sensor Analysis or Gather Intel will also force decloak. But generally I'm not using it quite as much, so not as big of an issue.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I don't cloak. I've been playing with some space magic spewing Fek ships (names Cowardice, Dishonour, and Treachery) and will go back to my standard 'park-and-shoot' Qoj or Vor'Cha. Cloaks are for cowards, Romulans, and cowardly Romulans.

I've never played melee before so I'm giving that a go this time. All my away team are equipped with the various mission or Phoenix Klingon melee weapons (Tritanium-Rending, Shard Sword, Torgs, Kelvin Timeline, Butchers etc.) and I've got the recruits sword and I'm planing to add the DSC ground set and the teleportation module to it, possibly the bio-essence transfer module as well. There's that many Klingon style melee weapons that I'm going to have to get more BOFFs to store them on once I've tried them.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    if cloak was not defunked by chat pop ups from NPCs i think more people would use it. i will use it til the event goal is completed, then prob not.

It's actually saved me a couple times. I was in TFO's and had the bug where I couldn't decloak.. I just picked up a drop and that decloaked me. :lol:

So stupid that picking up drops decloaks you, but I guess there are rare times when it helps.
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.