test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are we comming to the end of STO? 😱😱😱

I'm starting to feel worried that we're comming to the end of STO's life. Why? Two reasons:
1. There are a lot of sales, it seems like they want to get as much money from STO as possible before closing it down. Not to mention the 11th anniversary bundle ...
2. They're giving away a lot of good stuff - it seems like they're thinking: "Let's make people happy for one last time."

I sincerely hope I'm mistaken and there's luckilly a good chance I am. It's just a little observation I made.
I've been playing for less than a year and I really want to experience more of this game!

Comments

• tirominostirominos Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    No none of those really indicate anything much anymore.
    Constant sales and events are actually something Publishers noticed, that drives player engagement.
    They want the opposite, they want as many people playing as possible right now and hope as many as possible buy stuff.
    Marathons are usually a good deal with those companies, the more they keep playing and exited, the more people potentially spend.

But the biggest factor that shows this game isn't dying at all, new content most MMO's that are dying first have years of maintenance mode, wich contains no more content nor any new events.
    Usually just rehashing past events fully, cause this way they can hope before the game shuts down they can make the most profit, because you basically at that point have nobody much working at it anymore other to fix a few bugs or so now and then.
    As long an MMO gets content you can say it is not dying, Star Trek was always more niche compared to other MMO's anyways.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Doomsaying is against forum-rules.

There have been multiple kinds of sales at once before, and they're currently mostly trying to sell the new "legendary" bundle. Nothing too much out of the ordinary here, actually.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    There is no alternative to STO and the Star Trek franchise is not only going strong but expanding with Discovery and Picard getting new seasons and more shows in the pipeline.

Watch the game take off when the Pike series airs.

I can almost guarantee it coming full circle. The Pike series will introduce Kirk as a junior officer and eventualy a full re-boot of TOS.
  • tonka#5954 tonka Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Doomsaying is against forum-rules.

There have been multiple kinds of sales at once before, and they're currently mostly trying to sell the new "legendary" bundle. Nothing too much out of the ordinary here, actually.

Doomsaying wasn't my intent. I appologise if it turned out that way.
    No none of those really indicate anything much anymore.
    Constant sales and events are actually something Publishers noticed, that drives player engagement.
    They want the opposite, they want as many people playing as possible right now and hope as many as possible buy stuff.
    Marathons are usually a good deal with those companies, the more they keep playing and exited, the more people potentially spend.

But the biggest factor that shows this game isn't dying at all, new content most MMO's that are dying first have years of maintenance mode, wich contains no more content nor any new events.
    Usually just rehashing past events fully, cause this way they can hope before the game shuts down they can make the most profit, because you basically at that point have nobody much working at it anymore other to fix a few bugs or so now and then.
    As long an MMO gets content you can say it is not dying, Star Trek was always more niche compared to other MMO's anyways.

Ok, that's nice. I'm feeling better now. You're right, I got so worried that I completely missed the point. New content, still a lot of players. There's nothing to be worried about.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Things come to an end the moment they are created. But STO's end is not near.

1. If they tried to increase sales of things already created, this might be a reasonable assumption. Since they're still actively developing and designing things, the fact that they put those things on sale doesn't say a lot.
    2. Giveaways were part of many anniversaries. The really 'good' stuff like the promo ship we'll soon be able to earn, isn't really given away. It's earned through participation in events, which has been a thing for years now.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

1. If they tried to increase sales of things already created, this might be a reasonable assumption. Since they're still actively developing and designing things, the fact that they put those things on sale doesn't say a lot.
    2. Giveaways were part of many anniversaries. The really 'good' stuff like the promo ship we'll soon be able to earn, isn't really given away. It's earned through participation in events, which has been a thing for years now.

1. I didn't think of that!
    2. Yeah, you're right - we'll have to work hard to eran that promo ship. It's certenly not just given away. And I didn't know this was a thing for years as I'm quite new to STO- therefore I shouldn't start this discussion at all. I see this now and I'm very sorry. It just shows my stupidity.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User

2. Yeah, you're right - we'll have to work hard to eran that promo ship. It's certenly not just given away. And I didn't know this was a thing for years as I'm quite new to STO- therefore I shouldn't start this discussion at all. I see this now and I'm very sorry. It just shows my stupidity.

Don't worry about it, there have been threads, including about the end of STO that were much, much worse.

Nothing wrong with voicing concerns and asking questions if it's done the way you did it. :)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I'm starting to feel worried that we're comming to the end of STO's life. Why? Two reasons:
    1. There are a lot of sales, it seems like they want to get as much money from STO as possible before closing it down. Not to mention the 11th anniversary bundle ...
    2. They're giving away a lot of good stuff - it seems like they're thinking: "Let's make people happy for one last time."

I sincerely hope I'm mistaken and there's luckilly a good chance I am. It's just a little observation I made.
    I've been playing for less than a year and I really want to experience more of this game!

I don't think it says the game is dying...I think the sales say "Hey, all we do anymore is develop things to sell in lieu of content, so here is another sale...buy stuff!"

I think if the game was about to go under they'd be selling us crazier things like Borg Spheres or Cubes
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

I don't think of you being stupid. You're just looking as a newer player at the long term life of a game in which you seem to be enjoying. Its a fair assessment, especially given the reaction of some people to the anniversary pack that was released.

There will be a day the game WILL shut down. STO will be sure to let us know long before that happens.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    The only thing that's dying is the lockbox model as legislation and case precedent law steadily tightens; part of the reason for Legendary Bundles is trying to get test alternative revenue generation should lockboxes reach a turning point where they are no longer legally viable. Part of this process is testing out how high they can get the demographic of C-Store ship buyers to increase their price-point.

If the game was truly dying, we'd see no more new content. Or if we did, they wouldn't be using voice actors from the shows (because CBS aren't going to pay voice over work for a game made by a different company licencing their IP) but instead using either soundalikes or original characters.

If the game was truly dying, Cryptic would not be recruiting additional staff specifically for STO. (Environment Artist and Senior Systems Designer)

So, we can safely say that STO is profitable and sufficiently so to warrant investment in it from the company.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    It's important to look "how much money this took to make versus the potential returns" instead of "do I like this new content". STO fairly recently hired Sam Witwer to voice Tenavik and while Mr Witwer is a Trek fan, it's very unlikely he did the voice work for free and a actor of his caliber isn't dirt cheap either. They also hired Mary Chieffo as L'Rell and as much of Trek fan as she is, she'll probably not work for free.

Not mention, Rekha Sharma (Adet'pa), Robert O'Reilly (Akaar/Gowron), J.G. Hertzler (Martok) and Mara Junot (J'Ula) only Mara Junot seems to have not done work in live action trek shows previously (that I know of) and is instead one the actors STO has used before. Yes even Sam Witwer was in ENT as a Xindi (though under really heavy make-up). Also all of the people mentioned are professional actors so using their talents will cost Cryptic.

As crbjwrr said Cryptic's actions concerning STO don't match with signs of the game dying, the new voice work, the recruiting of new staff, all of that demands investment from Cryptic and no company who wants to stay profitable will invest in a product they know they will be removing soon.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The bottom line is money.. it's always about money.

According to Cryptic, the game is more financially viable now then at any other point in it's life cycle. Simply put, the game is making money.. it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    The new shows have saved the game. And they have Really saved it. Without them we might have been in trouble, but we have them so we're fine.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    You know this constitutes as a doom thread. Just by the title it say DOOOM. Doom threads are forbidden
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Doom.jpg

With the current snail's pace development of new mission content I have no idea if STO will still be around in another 5-10 years, but it's not going anywhere any time soon.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    people see things and maybe want answeres, and not doomites.

Sales and giveaways aren't things anyone should find concerning though, every business does both and F2P games do it more than non-F2P games. The only period where serious concern about the longevity of the game was warranted was during the year or two after launch when there was very little in terms of new content added, I may complain a lot about the current development pace but back then new content was almost non-existent.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    STO has been "dying" and "ending" since it was released. There will come a day in the future when STO like all games comes to an end. However baring some kind of internal war in the Q Continuum that wipes out the planet, alien invasion or similar, that time won't be anytime soon. Until you officially hear something from Cryptic or PWE themselves, assume rumors of the game's demise are bogus.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.