test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Minigames...fun or boring? Rewarding or pointless?

soulofsiliconsoulofsilicon Member Posts: 3 Arc User
To be honest, when I finally went to the fleet colony world and tried the "Trade for luxuries" dialogue with the Ferengi on the landing pad, I was flummoxed when the Omega particle stabilization minigame came up. I actually filed a bug via the in-game submission tool because I thought this was an error due to the running anniversary event which included Omega particle stabilization. Then when I went to the battery collection point and saw the Romulan radiation scan minigame again, I realized it was by design. You see this in other places too, like "hacking" being the same as ore/dilithium mining.

So, question. How do you feel about the minigames like these? Are they fun/tedious for you? Do you wish there was more of a variety? Do you wish they were gone entirely? Is it all contextual or subjective?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    I'm not a fan of the one that has you rotate the triangle. Frankly, they're all pretty tedious.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It's not great but meh. It becomes annoying when missions are padded and you are forced to do the same ones over and over.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    They may be fun for the first two or three times you encounter them, and then they usually get boring, in some instances annoying even (in missions like echoes of light, that have you do almost every kind of minigame for progression).
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    The omega particle minigame is the main reason why i usually don't bother with the anniversary event.
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I find most of them slightly tedious but not too bad.

The one I absolutely hate is aligning three colours of isolinear chips in the right order. I HATE that one.
  • tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    In general I do like the minigames. Especially when they are used to show us having some manner of interaction with a system. (Breaking encryption on files, calibrating scans, etc.)
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Been doing them for years & years. Long enough that I remember when there were less minigames. Mining & match-the-waveform were the originals, and we did them constantly - between all the "harvest the materials" and Exploration Nebulas, there was plenty of waveforms. And when we had hourly bonuses, there was lots of mining happening during it's hour. (With ice boots, I could get a lot of characters through the regular 6-site Mining daily in an hour. It was my main source of Dil)

New Romulus brought the radiation scanning game. Never been a fan of that, can't get a handle on it.

A later anniversary brought the Gamma Particle game - that was before we had Phoenix upgrades, so we farmed endlessly for those things. I think I made over a hundred Gamma upgrades that first year. And I know others made many more.

So, yeah. Been doing these things for years. Are they Super Fun™? Nah. But they're no more grindy than any other aspect of MMOs. I can do minigames over & over more than I can do The Same Mission or TFO over & over. /shrug Do I mind them being re-used for the Colony? Nah. I've seen the other games re-used for things before (waveforms & rad scan are popular to use in episodes for something else).
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    I don't like them nor do I dislike them. they're "meh" in my book. Definitely not Mario Party quality mini-games but I've seen ALOT worse.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    guljarol wrote: »
    I find most of them slightly tedious but not too bad.

The one I absolutely hate is aligning three colours of isolinear chips in the right order. I HATE that one.

oooo forgot about this one. this is hit and miss. sometimes i get it real easy like, other times not so much.
    Yeah that one can be a pain. May Q have mercy on your soul if you mess up on that one and have to sort it out or start over.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I find all minigames in MMOs annoying, I just want them over with as quickly as possible.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    I don't mind the mini-games. I just do them whether I am great at them or not.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I find the minigames extremely boring and irritating, sometimes even painful to look at (mainly the triangle one) and some border on nausea-producing (the squarewave thing and the omega particle ones) even though the wildest 3D combat in games does not give me motionsickness. None of them are pleasant and all of them get old very very quickly.
  • valetharvalethar Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    I despise them. They are pointless time wasters that add nothing of value to the game for the player. All they do is guarantee that you spend more time in the game, adding more grind to something already overburdened with it.

I would be happy never to see any of them again, TBH.
This discussion has been closed.