test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Atlas Dreadnought Should be in the Zen Store

With the recent changes of the DRPM being removed as a console choice from the cross faction console pack and with the addition of Kling Defense Force players being able to fly Federation ships: it stands to reason that the TOS Atlas Dreadnought should now be a ZEN store purchase for ANY faction.

This ship is not only awesome to fly; but, the DRPM is the "bread of butter" of many Phaser, Disruptor, and Plasma builds in STO with the console from the NX. With the chances of winning an Infinity Lockbox Ship almost as low as the chance of being struck by lightning: players who have come to having this ship or at least its console are now in a bind when it comes to creating new toons or wanting to have access to this ship. That last I checked: the TOS Atlas Dreadnought was in the billions in many cases: an amount new or existing players would have a hard time coming by. While I understand the reasoning behind removing the DPRM from the salvage-cross faction console box: I don't think Cryptic full realizes the bind they have put players in when it comes to creating new toons in the future. Yes, it has been said in other places that you don't need the DRPM as part of your build. While that is true to an extent: the majority of builds now a days that are centered around the "core energy types" have this as a MUST have console.

Personally, I would love to see an updated version of the TOS Atlas Dreadnought put on the ZEN store. Yes, I know that lock box keys are a big source of income for Cryptic; but, Cryptic also needs to understand that not every player in STO can afford buying large amounts of keys in the chance of winning a ship/console that many players rely on. Last I checked: the TOS Altas Dreadnought was selling for over 900 million EC. To break this down: if a player wanted to buy this ship, that is 20 Experimental Upgrade Tokens selling on the exchange at 44M EC is that price were to hold. At $20.00 for 3 token, it would take roughly 21 upgrade tokens at a cost of $280USD for the hope of getting one ship. That is more than any bundle offered in STO.

While I know that there are many that will disagree with this and say "tough luck:" the needs to be a more affordable way for players to get this ship. With the number of ships available in the Infinity Lockboxes: I doubt it would kill Cryptic's bottom line to offer this ship as a C-Store purchase. Even putting it in Mudd's Market for a "non wallet breaking price" would make it more attainable for the entire player base. Yes, I know Cryptic has to "make money some how" and they are a business; but, this is one time that they have hurt many players in the game, new players coming to STO, and the general fan base of STO itself. More to the point, sometimes any company needs to look at is customer base as a whole and do what is best for EVERYONE: not just a select few who afford hundreds of dollars work of keys, tokens, etc to in-turn gouge the rest of the player base with unrealistic exchange pricing.

I guess the point I am trying to get across is that certain things in STO need to be available for everyone regardless of old or new players and hiding an awesome ship behind a lockbox is not exactly customer oriented. Yes, I am thankful that the Legendary Discovery Constitution is available and I am grateful that (at the time) I was able to afford the bundle that has that ship in it. Having said that, perhaps that ship could be released in a more affordable bundle (not like the one currently offered; but, I will keep my thoughts on that to myself). My idea for this: The TOS Dreadnought Bundle where for $60.00 you get access to either the Federation, Romulan, or Klingon version of the ship as an unlock depending on your character's race: the exception be Jem'Hadar in that a faction (Federation or Klngon) would need to be chosen first with all the native consoles of each ship being included. Another idea would be to put the console in the Pheonix Box. That would still give players a better chance of getting the console. Like I said, I know many will not agree with this; but, the amount of negativity this has brought with the recent changes and the latest build: well, has me very concerned with the direction STO is going and leaving many players with the feeling of "what?!?"

When I first starting playing STO: the first toon I was recommended to create was a Romulan toon in that they could fly ships of their chosen faction and consoles were cheaper to obtain as a new player wanting to get started in the game. That is no longer that case and builds that were once considered "budget friendly" are anything but friendly at this point. In short, I know my opinion is probably not shared with many; but, I see this a Cryptic nailing the coffin in the growth of new toons and those wanting a more budget friendly experience that $2800+ bill just for the hopes of one ship.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I'm general, the DPRM is a great console. But you can easily set up a character that can annihilate anything without it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    well, id vote for this...given the leg ships in the pack will never be single buy options, id say this would be good...and i would highly consider a buy for my TOS crew.

that said...isnt there the upcoming event where one could get this by completing the event...or did i read the details about the event wrong?

You could get an Atlas (or other Lockbox/Promo ship) from the upcoming event campaign, however it would be a character unlock rather then account unlock. I personally don't really want the Atlas ship and am not worried about it's console either. I've had two chances recently where I could have gotten the Atlas, I got the Mirror Warship and Kelvin D7 instead. And I don't buy tons and tons of keys all the time. I mostly buy a few keyrings when available, and I'm not just interested in the grand prizes.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest the DPRM is one of those consoles that, IF you have it, it's daft not to use. But not having doesn't ruin a build by any means.

I have it for my Klingon main, bought off the exchange ages ago and it makes my builds cleave like a hot knife through butter.

Thing is none of my alts have it and their builds cleave through content like a hot knife through butter.

However I am a fan of more ships in c-store and accessible to the casual player.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    I agree with you OP.

It’s a default to go to console for all builds at the moment and the means to get it through playing grew considerably harder.

Lesson earned as far as making new characters is concerned I’d say.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I agree with you OP.

It’s a default to go to console for all builds at the moment and the means to get it through playing grew considerably harder.

Lesson earned as far as making new characters is concerned I’d say.

While I agree that I would love to see this in the C-Store given it's prevalence in all energy weapon builds, I do have to agree that it's not required. Yes, it's great and if you can get it you should.. but you don't NEED it.

Half my characters don't have DPRM and I have never once been in a mission that I felt I just couldn't finish because I didn't have the DPRM. As nice as it is.. it's a luxury. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited February 2021
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > While I agree that I would love to see this in the C-Store given it's prevalence in all energy weapon builds, I do have to agree that it's not required. Yes, it's great and if you can get it you should.. but you don't NEED it.
    >
    > Half my characters don't have DPRM and I have never once been in a mission that I felt I just couldn't finish because I didn't have the DPRM. As nice as it is.. it's a luxury. :wink:

Roger, I understand and agree. Still something has me wonder in this thread as a whole.

We often find ourselves in some sort of hamster wheel discussion when it comes to the word „need“.

Do we need this or that to play the game? No!

Do we need this or that to do any good in game? No!

Do we need this or that if we want toon B to perform as good as toon A who has this or that already? Yes!

Do we need this or that if we want to compete with other players who have this or that? Yes!

It kid of boils down to a matter of perspective with no real right or wrong. Perhaps it would make things easier if one would forget about the word „need“ in this game and change it into a general „want“? :)

That way this clear matter of perspective would be easier for all to see. Especially for that hamster wheel discussion initiator further above who chose to engage it again even though the OP understand already that he does not „need“ the DPRM to play the game. He rather wants to have it for is new toon you know?
    animated.gif
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    While I'm in favor of adding all ships to the C-Store, the reality is this is highly unlikely outside of Mudd's Market. I suppose there's a slim chance the Atlas could be in the inevitable TOS Boost Bundle whenever that happens, but as a non-canon design it doesn't really fit the definition of Legendary so I doubt it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

It kid of boils down to a matter of perspective with no real right or wrong. Perhaps it would make things easier if one would forget about the word „need“ in this game and change it into a general „want“? :)

That way this clear matter of perspective would be easier for all to see. Especially for that hamster wheel discussion initiator further above who chose to engage it again even though the OP understand already that he does not „need“ the DPRM to play the game. He rather wants to have it for is new toon you know?

Considering that the only thing you actually "need" to succeed in this game is an account and time to play.. I think that's pretty fair. :lol:

This game is too easy to honestly claim you 'need' much of anything so sure.. it's really more about want. I personally think the Atlas would make a great C-Store ship, but sadly.. I just don't see it happening. :disappointed:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    They really do need some TOS style T6 ships in the c-store for the TOS fans in the game to go with the characters from the TOS tab in the character generator. Right now, except for a few lockbox whale-bait ships, there is nothing (and no, buying T5 ships to use as skins for T6 ships you also have to buy does not count). The Atlas is a transitional type (it has the wrong geometry for TOS) but it would be better than the nothing they have now.

It would be great if whoever they get to replace Jett (who moved over to Magic from what I read) was good at making models using the googie style with its Euler curves and golden ratio proportions like Jefferies used for the TOS Enterprise instead of just the regular geometry art deco that was used from the movie era onwards. It is a much harder style to model with current 3D tools though so maybe modelers who can do it are priced too high for STO to keep on staff.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    The console is nice and i'd like to see this ship in the C-store if only because i like the ship and i dislike that it is currently character bound.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited February 2021

Considering that the only thing you actually "need" to succeed in this game is an account and time to play.. I think that's pretty fair. :lol:

This game is too easy to honestly claim you 'need' much of anything so sure.. it's really more about want. I personally think the Atlas would make a great C-Store ship, but sadly.. I just don't see it happening. :disappointed:

Hehe yea. :)

As far as the Atlas is concerned I assume we will see it in the mudd store as a choice pack if at all. They will pack it together with two poo poo crafts and some more nonsens there and then we can haggle out for a short time what the words wanting and needing mean for us. :D
    animated.gif
  • If you look at the majority of heavy hitting DPS players: they ALL use DPRM and console from the NX for their heavy hitting Phaser, Disruptor, and Plasma builds. While I fully understand that it is not required: it is what the majority recommended meta builds use for these weapon types.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...let me get this straight...they have a console you feel everyone needs...and want them to sell it for a fraction of the price. If you are correct in that everyone needs it, they would be a fool to sell it for less. If you are incorrect, your premises for the ask us faulty. There is no way you come out on top with this approach.

This console by itself was selling for a WHOLE lot lets that it is now when it was in the cross faction bundle. You make it sound that in order to get things you want (and I will you this word VERY lightly) need: you have to be a gold spammer, money whale, etc to get those things. I didn't provide the math of the logistics to obtain this ship to simply waste my time in doing do. With that said, your argument makes it sound at thought STO is a personal platform for a player to line their own EC pockets.
    They really do need some TOS style T6 ships in the c-store for the TOS fans in the game to go with the characters from the TOS tab in the character generator. Right now, except for a few lockbox whale-bait ships, there is nothing (and no, buying T5 ships to use as skins for T6 ships you also have to buy does not count). The Atlas is a transitional type (it has the wrong geometry for TOS) but it would be better than the nothing they have now.

Yes, I do agree that more TOS ship options would be a good thing.

• captainrebel78#5049 captainrebel78 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    As an addition... I was TOLD to post this to the forum despite my better judgement.
    A simple "I agree" or "I disagree" would have sufficed instead of "questioning motives."

Needless so say: the next time I am told to post a suggestion to the forums.... Well... Only time will tell....
This discussion has been closed.