test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the Jupiter Class fun? Is it any good?

I have a couple of ships with fighters, but don't own any actual carriers. I've been eyeing the Jupiter Class for a while, but have heard that it's not particularly good, even when you upgrade the pets to fleet level quality. Does anyone here own the Jupiter, and what do you think of it?

Also, as a semi-related aside, I do own the Jem'hadar Vanguard Recon Destroyer. It's a really unusual ship in that the pets aren't equipped... they're just "there." Are there any other ships in STO like that?
«1

Comments

  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 5,260 Arc User
    edited February 18
    All of the Jem'Hadar Vanguard ships get that mechanic.

    The two Jem'Hadar Vanguard carriers are thus vastly superior to the Jupiter.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 891 Arc User
    I think the trait on the Jupiter could be interesting if you use a lot of intel ability as well as pets with targetable torpedos sich as tricobalt.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,062 Arc User
    edited February 18
    Ok, I am going to put my flame shield on.. because here it comes.

    Now, given recent.. critiques on this board, I strangely have to say ahead of time that this is my personal opinion.. that being said..

    The Jupiter is.. awful. It's terrible, it's absolutely one of the worst ships in the game.

    My reasons..

    As a tactical carrier, it's non existant. The highest tactical power it's ultra weak bridge officer seating allows for is Lt. Level which means on a beam build, FAW II is the best you can do. FAW II comes with a steep accuraccy penalty so at best you're going to have to mitigate this by using a console slot for some accuracy, something like Hostile Acquisition, or the more expensive Weapon Sensor Enhancer. This will always limit what you can do in an energy weapon build.

    So I hear you.. well why not do a Science Build instead since it's a 'Science Carrier?' So glad you asked!

    As a Science Vessel, it has no Secondary Deflector which is a huge kick in the stones for Science and it lacks things like Sensor Analysis that you usually want on a Science Heavy ship. You can stack Science Powers sure, but if that's the route you are going, any ship that's actually dedicated to Science is going to be infinitely better.

    Lastly, lets cover those pets.. The Calisto's.. oh boy.

    The worst pets in the game as far as performance and AI are The Cardassian Yukawa Frigates, they are the equivalent of being AFK. These Frigates are the only thing keeping the Calisto's from being the worst hangar pets available. The AI is completely broken, and when they do respond, they don't have the turn rate to keep their Quad Cannons on target so they generally end up flying around like they're completely lost. Simply put.. they're terrible.

    The final nail in the coffin comes with the release of the Caitian Aspero Support Carrier that is basically just what the Jupiter should have been. Better Bridge Officer layout, more versatile, excellent pets.. just all around.. better.

    Before you ask, yes.. I do own the Jupiter. I got it when it first came out because I liked the idea of the Calisto Escorts as pets. It's hands down the worst buy I have ever made in Star Trek Online and one I would desperately want to get back. If I could refund any purchase I have ever made.. the horrendous Jupiter trash barge would be that purchase.

    Jupiter fans will now light me up.. I'm ready. I can't in good faith ever tell someone to buy this ship.


    *Disclaimer: My opinion is of the ship, not of the people that like it. Many people use the Jupiter, those people aren't 'bad' the opinions expressed above are about the Jupiter Class Carrier only and not the people that enjoy it.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 18
    Ok, I am going to put my flame shield on.. because here it comes.

    Now, given recent.. critiques on this board, I strangely have to say ahead of time that this is my personal opinion.. that being said..

    The Jupiter is.. awful. It's terrible, it's absolutely one of the worst ships in the game.

    My reasons..

    As a tactical carrier, it's non existant. The highest tactical power it's ultra weak bridge officer seating allows for is Lt. Level which means on a beam build, FAW II is the best you can do. FAW II comes with a steep accuraccy penalty so at best you're going to have to mitigate this by using a console slot for some accuracy, something like Hostile Acquisition, or the more expensive Weapon Sensor Enhancer. This will always limit what you can do in an energy weapon build.

    So I hear you.. well why not do a Science Build instead since it's a 'Science Carrier?' So glad you asked!

    As a Science Vessel, it has no Secondary Deflector which is a huge kick in the stones for Science and it lacks things like Sensor Analysis that you usually want on a Science Heavy ship. You can stack Science Powers sure, but if that's the route you are going, any ship that's actually dedicated to Science is going to be infinitely better.

    Lastly, lets cover those pets.. The Calisto's.. oh boy.

    The worst pets in the game as far as performance and AI are The Cardassian Yukawa Frigates, they are the equivalent of being AFK. These Frigates are the only thing keeping the Calisto's from being the worst hangar pets available. The AI is completely broken, and when they do respond, they don't have the turn rate to keep their Quad Cannons on target so they generally end up flying around like they're completely lost. Simply put.. they're terrible.

    The final nail in the coffin comes with the release of the Caitian Aspero Support Carrier that is basically just what the Jupiter should have been. Better Bridge Officer layout, more versatile, excellent pets.. just all around.. better.

    Before you ask, yes.. I do own the Jupiter. I got it when it first came out because I liked the idea of the Calisto Escorts as pets. It's hands down the worst buy I have ever made in Star Trek Online and one I would desperately want to get back. If I could refund any purchase I have ever made.. the horrendous Jupiter trash barge would be that purchase.

    Jupiter fans will now light me up.. I'm ready. I can't in good faith ever tell someone to buy this ship.


    *Disclaimer: My opinion is of the ship, not of the people that like it. Many people use the Jupiter, those people aren't 'bad' the opinions expressed above are about the Jupiter Class Carrier only and not the people that enjoy it.

    Okay, when I hear "one of the worst ships in the game," that sets off alarms. Definitely noted and will not buy.

    It's a pity. I really just wanted a huge, modern Fed ship... and the Jupiter is kind of the only option in that category. But if it sucks, it sucks.

    Has anyone else played the Star Trek Armada 3 mod for Sins of Solar Empire? I wanted that... 'flagship' vibe of those enormous capital ships.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,540 Arc User
    edited February 18
    A bit redundant to mention at this point, but the Jupiter is an almost universally disliked carrier. The unique frigate pets are extremely underwhelming and most people don't know what to do with the ship's layout. The ship's console has some interesting applications(+20% bonus damage to all allies), but it's restricted to the ship itself and most people would rather build to be the hero instead of a support.

    There are two 'decent' builds for the ship - a repair/buffing platform to enhance others; or an EPG platform to throw out space-magic. Both options require a lot of outside resources(starship traits, consoles, etc.) to really shine with the ship. It's serviceable, but requires more buildcraft than most would care to spend the time/energy on.

    The issue of the Jupiter is now further compounded with the introduction of the new(er) Support Carriers that were added to the game that fill the same niche(s), but are a considerably better value(they come with/unlock squadrons and excellent support frigates).

    As far as the wingmen mechanic - that is unique to all Jem Hadar "Vanguard" ships - it's their special gimmick to get 2 perma-escorts. Both Jem Hadar Vanguard carriers come with them in addition to their usual hangar compliment(the non-"support" carrier even comes with a 3rd perma-pet via its special console).

    For a carrier playstyle, my personal recommendation is still the "Jem Hadar Vanguard Carrier" with a Science Captain and Command Primary Specialization. The ship itself is one of the deadliest carriers in the game(4 forward weapons with 4 tactical consoles and ample offensive science/Intel capacity), and is able to personally field a larger battlegroup than any other carrier, by itself. (2x wingmen, 1x attack ship console summon, 2x hangars, 3-4 photonic fleet allies, 1-2 command spec reinforcements, +any other additional summons you wish to throw in.)

    As a Sci with the JHVC, you pop Scattering Field and Co-opt Energy weapons to enhance the damage of all your pets/allies while also keeping them alive. Priority targets can be subnuked and sensor scanned. Otherwise, Gravity Well + Ionic Turbulence + Scramble Sensors will turn your enemies into a ball of ineptitude while unloading your forward weapons into them. It's a very 'shooting fish in a barrel' playstyle, except you bring a lot of friends with you at all times.
    Post edited by szerontzur on
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,757 Bug Hunter
    edited February 22
    Well those are all fine Points, the fact is most SCI vessels only have 3/3 weapons, and no hanger bays let alone 1.

    So the Jupiter gets 2 Hanger Bays, and Science Vessels get a Secondary Deflector. Choice is based on your focus. :o
    ╘ I think it could be fun, if you focus on a Drain build though...

    If you want to use as more of a Science EPG Vessel though there are some consoles from Missions Sunrise or others from the Exchange/Lockbox you can acquire with Energy Credit. Search them out here as listed Retrofitted Asimilator, and find links other Universal Consoles there to explore.

    I realize you are well aware of these facts however, I just think there is great flexibility for anyone regardless the Bridge Station layout or consoles. So best you explore the Specialist Tree's or Skills more and combine with various Universal consoles available to find something you like.

    I just think they cross a dangerous line when they give 2 Hangers on ship with a similar 3/3 weapon loadout, without adding as you suggest a Secondary Deflector... ...I'd be against that!

    However trying to be constructive, I'd be alright if they Introduce a new kind of Hanger Pet, something with a lower level specialists ability of Pilot or Intel, that's exclusive only to the Jupiter Class or a very limited few other Carriers. Just to give it something unique to itself!

    Still I think this ship like most can be made quite versatile and flexible, just takes a bit of creativity...
    Post edited by strathkin on
    aYC8Lwf.png
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 5,260 Arc User
    edited February 18
    strathkin wrote: »
    Well those are all fine Points, the fact is most SCI vessels only have 3/3 weapons, and no hanger bays let alone 1.

    So the Jupiter gets 2 Hanger Bays, and Science Vessels get a Secondary Deflector. Choice is based on your focus. :o

    If you want to use as more of a Science Vessel though there are some consoles from Missions Mission: Sunrise or others from the Exchange/Lockbox you can acquire with Energy Credit such as the Retrofitted Asimilator, and find links other Universal Consoles there to explore. I realize you are well aware of these facts however, I just think there is great flexibility for anyone regardless the Bridge Station layout, if you explore the Specialist Tree's or Skills more and combine with various Universal consoles available.

    I just think they cross a dangerous line when they give 2 Hangers on ship with a similar 3/3 weapon loadout, especially if your suggested it gets a Secondary Deflector... ...I'd be against that!

    However trying to be constructive, I'd be alright if they Introduce a new kind of Hanger Pet, something with a lower level specialists ability of Pilot or Intel, that's exclusive only to the Jupiter Class or a very limited few other Carriers, who's pilots get some enhancements; excluded from Flight Deck or Support Carrier however, as they have other advantages.

    Still I think this ship like most can be made quite versatile and flexible, just takes a bit of creativity...

    The problem is that non-science carriers have more than 6 weapon slots... non-carrier sci ships have the secdef... so it's nerfed either way you look at it, supposedly in order to have two hangars. That was fine when the only Fed carriers were science carriers... but now they are not.... The devs basically broke all other carriers when they added a second hangar to FDCs last year.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,757 Bug Hunter
    edited February 19
    That's also why I feel they need to RETHINK, and be careful doing too much!

    Non-Carrier SCI ships 'those without Hanger Bays' having a Secondary Deflector is quite normal; the exception are a few Command SCI Cruisers or Miracle Worker without Secondary Deflector's. Yet they also have other advantages to consider and can make up for it. Still the Jupiter despite 3/3 weapons as I identified, has 2 Hanger Bays and is a full Carrier for sure! It also can be very effective despite the claims to the contrary!

    Enhanced Induction Coils is a nice console that comes with the Recruit Ship with a 1m cooldown not 2m, and provides power boosts for considerable time.

    That can be very helpful on the Jupiter, or a few other Carriers depending how you build it, or what other Universal Console choices I linked above are used. The Juniper as I'm well familiar can be very effective with various Drain or Tyken's Rift focused Science abilities, depending on what your preference is!

    Note: Kentari or 180 degree missiles can also help focus Power levels, if 1-2 are used in front or rear for slower to turn ships like Carriers.

    I disagree with those who make the claim it fails at being either a Science Ship, or Carrier!

    It does have two hanger's which can be very good! Still I'm OPEN if they considered a Unique Hanger Pet that's just exclusive to Jupiter at Ultra/Elite given a Specialist hanger pet ability; if greatly limited to only a very few Carriers however.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    aYC8Lwf.png
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,730 Arc User
    It tries to be a science ship and a carrier and fails rather spectacularly at both. It's just not a very good ship.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • evilspokevilspok Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Let's keep in mind here that it's still fully capable of roflstomping any advanced or normal content in the game.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I have run into a few fans of the Jupiter but not many, it seems to be a rather niche ship (space Barbie probably plays a big part there).
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,230 Arc User
    Carriers outside of the tac focused or dreadnoughts or escort carriers (strike wing or w/e they're called) overall seem lacking, even for the space barbie, being the slowest ship in the game isn't made up by having pets.

    T5 Atrox I'd call the worst ship in the game, but I hear its pets are quite good at least though never bothered, even on the new T6 variants pack. Great looking set of ships, just boring to fly even as space barbie.

    Made a T6 Vo'quv with BoP pets and all the carrier-focused abilities and consoles I could put together, and it was actually fun summoning an army of all types of pets and support, so that kind of saved the T6 support carriers pack from feeling like a waste of Zen.

    Jupiter comes up as a bad ship, but I've build a drain/debuff boat from it and I have to say it was actually fun as the torps from scorpions or other pets (avoiding its own escorts) actually do something. It also looks really nice, to me it's like a science-heavy Odyssey, and I would want to pilot it again.

    Other carriers I've had fun in and still enjoy, T'Laru (missing subsystem targeting), T5 Narcine, T6 JHDC, T6 JH Vanguard carrier.

    Otherwise, carriers need a certain something, maybe a 3rd hangar bay or wingmen mechanics or I don't know what.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    Don't forget that the Jupiter flies through the air in much the same way that bricks don't.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,062 Arc User
    edited February 19
    evilspok wrote: »
    Let's keep in mind here that it's still fully capable of roflstomping any advanced or normal content in the game.

    You’re absolutely right.. the Jupiter can handle Normal and Advanced content with no issues. The problem one faces is when they go to buy the Jupiter.. you can take this thing and ‘make it work,’ or for the same money you can just buy a ship that’s well.. actually good. But your point is nonetheless a valid one.. if someone just really loves the Jupiter and wants THAT ship, it can be made to work.
    I have run into a few fans of the Jupiter but not many, it seems to be a rather niche ship (space Barbie probably plays a big part there).

    The biggest surprise to me in this thread is that no one has roasted me yet for bashing the all mighty Jupiter. Every time I give my opinion on this ship, I usually get an angry reply from a Jupiter fan. None to be found yet, they must have transferred their love of lackluster ships to the new Legendary Pack. :lol:
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • stolokstolok Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited February 20
    alcyoneserene wrote:

    Otherwise, carriers need a certain something, maybe a 3rd hangar bay or wingmen mechanics or I don't know what.

    Sci carriers were definitely left in the dust by the upgrade of "Flight-deck Cruisers" to full carriers. But if they give Sci carriers secondary deflectors and sensor analysis, why buy/fly a regular science ship? Adding more fighter bays adds more expense to operating the carrier and begins to complicate game mechanics as more and more wings of hangar pets will be in flight. I've been thinking about the problem for a while, and I think there are some possible solutions that could be drawn from real-world carrier operations.

    First, there might be a special defense enhancement for Sci carriers. Call it "Combat Air Patrol", based on the tactic of real world carriers to keep a flight of fighters always in the air near the carrier to protect it. Instead of having to put actual pets in the air, this could just be an innate ability to launch a default attack on any destructible torpedoes or hostile hangar pets that get within a few km of the carrier. As if there was always a wing of fighters present on intercept mode to react to attacks. Built-in point-defense, in other words. This would make Sci carriers more powerful in defense, in contrast to Flight-Deck carriers being more powerful in attack with the extra weapon slots.

    Another idea is also related to real-world carriers, and would work similar to the Jem'Hadar wingmen mechanic. Instead of a simple combat ship, though, Sci carriers could have a "Command and Control" pet. I'm not sure if it ought to be called Airborne Warning and Control (AWACS) since space ships are not really "airborne" but anyway, the pet would have sensor analysis, not the carrier. It could also have some sort of sensor jamming (Electronic Warfare) abilities. The pet could simply focus its sensor analysis and EW on the target selected by the carrier. This has some interesting advantages and disadvantages to built-in sensor analysis. First, the pet could move closer to the target, letting the carrier hang back, as they generally do in real life. But second, of course the pet is far more destructible than the carrier itself. It could be attacked though probably only when the actually armed pets are destroyed.

    Mechanics like this could make Sci carriers more effective in sci-related ways without making them OP or removing the special appeals of dedicated sci ships.
    Post edited by stolok on
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 1,957 Arc User
    fun? not for me. its fugly as hell (to me, other mileage may vary for you or others) so i wont ever get it. i need to like the look of the ship for me to have fun.
    good? dont know and wont know since i wont fly or own it. others have made comments on this above.

    as mentioned, carriers need something to make them more...well...carrier like.

    not sure an added bay would be ideal or not, but id float it with that the third bay has to be a support type pet. (heals, repair, etc, if added)

    i for one would like to see carriers less involved in actual fighting and more geared to support of pets and team. the reason they lack much is that the game mechanic didnt change for carriers as a whole. we get into the fight just like any other ship, vs staying at a distance and launching pets faster than we do, sending out support craft, maybe a healing torpedo or beacon, or maybe allow carriers to have a more intense targeting system that can target torps and shoot them down, etc.

    i can no longer spam buttons like i used to. all the consoles, skills, traits, etc., are too many for me anymore. i am an advocate for carriers, as it simplifies my game play and reduces my need to spew screen vomit. i dont chase numbers, i chase fun.
    meh

  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,476 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    I think the trait on the Jupiter could be interesting if you use a lot of intel ability as well as pets with targetable torpedos sich as tricobalt.

    Transport warhead is rather weak, and the only pet with a tricobalt torpedo is ferjai frigate...but since it also has a chroniton torpedo the odds are that will eat up the transport warhead
    #WithoutRespectWeReject
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Most stuff will die before before a transported warhead goes off so the torpedo the pet uses doesn't matter a huge amount
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,757 Bug Hunter
    edited February 22
    Why I suggest the Jupiter get's a unique Hanger Pet, distinct to itself, excluded from the Support Carriers--perhaps with a Specialist ability added at Very Rare or Epic.


    I never voted for that Jupiter Design, and did not like Alpha, Gamma or Omega -- they were the 3 largest designs of all the Carriers! If I remember correctly the Sigma, Epsilon, Theta, and Beta (smaller to larger), though the image below is misleading as it's not to scale.

    The ships I had strong preference for were the Theta, Sigma, and Beta in no particular order; yet would have been open to Epsilon as well. Yet most when voting on design, always seem to favor the far larger ships, and I don't know why? I tend to favor smaller to mid-sized ships, if that wasn't obvious... ...so while it doesn't always influence how they build ships, it certainly does come into play more often than not!

    I still wish they'd reconsider a few other previous Designs. After all Starfleet spend 100 years developing the Excelsior experiment, despite many advances and never fully realizing Transwarp at least in the shows...

    aKOCLbG.png
    Post edited by strathkin on
    aYC8Lwf.png
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    I remember we KDF mains did a lot of complaining when the Jupiter was being designed because carriers were our shtick and there wasn’t going to be a KDF equivalent. Then the Jupiter released and we were all thankful we never got a KDF version.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    as said a bunch the jupiter is just not that good of a ship, and infact most carriers are fairly "meh" they just don't really.. offer up much. Hangar pets aren't all that amazing and giving up a secondary deflector for it isnt worth it, and if you want to use 2 hangar bays.. well theres the flight deck cruisers coming with a 5/3 weapons layout instead of just a 3/3.

    Carriers just need.. SOMETHING and Cryptic won't give it to them
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,757 Bug Hunter
    edited February 22
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    Hangar pets aren't all that amazing and giving up a secondary deflector for it isnt worth it, and if you want to use 2 hangar bays.. well theres the flight deck cruisers coming with a 5/3 weapons layout instead of just a 3/3.

    Carriers just need.. SOMETHING and Cryptic won't give it to them

    Smaller Hanger Pets should be harder to hit, than the Mid to Larger variants for sure!

    Still some Carriers can be very effective, depending how you focus splitting up your Starship Traits, to enhance your Ship, or your Hanger Bays, depending on the combo's and various choices available.

    Yet like all things, it just depends how you approach your Build. Carriers can be very effective with various Drain based abilities for sure, and so many options to explore and try find that works well for you:

    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Drain_Expertise
    aYC8Lwf.png
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,403 Arc User
    edited February 22
    strathkin wrote: »
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    Hangar pets aren't all that amazing and giving up a secondary deflector for it isnt worth it, and if you want to use 2 hangar bays.. well theres the flight deck cruisers coming with a 5/3 weapons layout instead of just a 3/3.

    Carriers just need.. SOMETHING and Cryptic won't give it to them

    Smaller Hanger Pets should be harder to hit, than the Mid to Larger variants for sure!

    Still some Carriers can be very effective, depending how you focus splitting up your Starship Traits, to enhance your Ship, or your Hanger Bays, depending on the combo's and various choices available.

    Yet like all things, it just depends how you approach your Build. Carriers can be very effective with various Drain based abilities for sure, and so many options to explore and try find that works well for you:

    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Drain_Expertise
    The problem is just about anything we can do on the Jupiter we can do better on an Aspero. Given that both cost the same amount of real-life money there isn’t much reason to buy a Jupiter.

    The Aspero is better at tanking, better at being a carrier with better pets, better at tactical, can be better at science and can be better at Engineering and even for the rare builds like drain the Aspero still comes out on top. Pretty much any major build you do on the Jupiter works the same or better on an Aspero. It gets to the point where you have to wonder why someone would buy the Jupiter when the can just buy the Aspero which is superior is so many ways for the same cost

    The Jupiter can be made to work but its fair to say its not particularly very good, its not even average pretty poor really. Its one of the worst carriers in game and it doesn’t really have any standout features. All the 3/3 carriers need “something” extra and the Jupiter is near the bottom of the pack when it comes to 3/3 carriers. Though to be honest I am not sure what that something should be. A secondary deflector would be a mistake, a 3rd hangar bay as much as I would love would be too overpowered. 3/3 carriers needs some sort of pet boosting extra but not to much booting.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,534 Arc User
    Perhaps someone likes the looks of the Jupiter over the Aspero.

    I fly a Jupiter on my son in law's acct when he has to fly in an event. It gets things done. I bought a Jupiter for my acct too and use it on at least one of my toons.

    It's all a matter of individual taste or what fits best with your toons.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,062 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Perhaps someone likes the looks of the Jupiter over the Aspero.

    I fly a Jupiter on my son in law's acct when he has to fly in an event. It gets things done. I bought a Jupiter for my acct too and use it on at least one of my toons.

    It's all a matter of individual taste or what fits best with your toons.

    I'm weird, I actually like the look of the Jupiter. I think the Nacelles could be a bit bigger, but I like the design. I don't use it simply because every ship I have is better.

    I stand by my opinion that I can't ever encourage someone to buy the Jupiter, but I do concede that if someone really likes the ship and wants to make it work, it can be done. The Jupiter can handle normal and advanced content just fine.. it will just be a little more effort then most other ships. If you're not an experienced player however and you're using the Jupiter with Calisto hangar pets, I strongly recommend playing the game on Normal. Advanced might be a struggle for some players using that ship.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 23
    echatty wrote: »
    Perhaps someone likes the looks of the Jupiter over the Aspero.

    I fly a Jupiter on my son in law's acct when he has to fly in an event. It gets things done. I bought a Jupiter for my acct too and use it on at least one of my toons.

    It's all a matter of individual taste or what fits best with your toons.

    I'm weird, I actually like the look of the Jupiter. I think the Nacelles could be a bit bigger, but I like the design. I don't use it simply because every ship I have is better.

    I stand by my opinion that I can't ever encourage someone to buy the Jupiter, but I do concede that if someone really likes the ship and wants to make it work, it can be done. The Jupiter can handle normal and advanced content just fine.. it will just be a little more effort then most other ships. If you're not an experienced player however and you're using the Jupiter with Calisto hangar pets, I strongly recommend playing the game on Normal. Advanced might be a struggle for some players using that ship.

    My beefs with the Jupiter's design are pretty minor: I wish the nacelles were all the same size, and I'd like it if there was more of a hull behind the massive "potato" saucer. However, overall, I think it looks pretty decent.

    As an aside, I wound up buying the Guardian. I know it's next-to-useless when compared to a lot of the modern 5/3 boats with 4-5 tac consoles (and I'd be stupid if I didn't wish it had these things), but I really like the look of it.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,062 Arc User
    edited February 23
    mattingly1 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    Perhaps someone likes the looks of the Jupiter over the Aspero.

    I fly a Jupiter on my son in law's acct when he has to fly in an event. It gets things done. I bought a Jupiter for my acct too and use it on at least one of my toons.

    It's all a matter of individual taste or what fits best with your toons.

    I'm weird, I actually like the look of the Jupiter. I think the Nacelles could be a bit bigger, but I like the design. I don't use it simply because every ship I have is better.

    I stand by my opinion that I can't ever encourage someone to buy the Jupiter, but I do concede that if someone really likes the ship and wants to make it work, it can be done. The Jupiter can handle normal and advanced content just fine.. it will just be a little more effort then most other ships. If you're not an experienced player however and you're using the Jupiter with Calisto hangar pets, I strongly recommend playing the game on Normal. Advanced might be a struggle for some players using that ship.

    My beefs with the Jupiter's design are pretty minor: I wish the nacelles were all the same size, and I'd like it if there was more of a hull behind the massive "potato" saucer. However, overall, I think it looks pretty decent.

    As an aside, I wound up buying the Guardian. I know it's next-to-useless when compared to a lot of the modern 5/3 boats with 4-5 tac consoles (and I'd be stupid if I didn't wish it had these things), but I really like the look of it.

    The Guardian is one of those ships that fell between the cracks popularity wise, but it's absolutely not a bad ship. As a beam boat cruiser, the Guardian is on par with or even superior to some ships that are vastly more popular.

    Between the Guardian and the Jupiter you very overwhelmingly made the right choice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Guardian.. it's quite good. :smile:
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,534 Arc User
    I always play the game on Normal, so any ship is viable and I've played with weaker ships because I like them and I have some of them set up to be a certain energy type for Endeavors. I use all kinds of T5, T5-U, T6 and a few X-upgraded ones.

    While some of them are a challenge to use, I've not been disappointed with any of them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,757 Bug Hunter
    edited February 24
    Honestly I know the Jupiter won the Contest; still I wish they'd enable one other design! Too bad for Voted Designs that use Players choice, also didn't unlock a DEVs choice alternative; since most the work was done anyways!
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    The problem is just about anything we can do on the Jupiter we can do better on an Aspero. Given that both cost the same amount of real-life money there isn’t much reason to buy a Jupiter.

    ...

    The Jupiter can be made to work but its fair to say its not particularly very good, ... All the 3/3 carriers need “something” extra and the Jupiter is near the bottom of the pack when it comes to 3/3 carriers. Though to be honest I am not sure what that something should be. A secondary deflector would be a mistake, a 3rd hangar bay as much as I would love would be too overpowered. 3/3 carriers needs some sort of pet boosting extra but not to much booting.

    Far as boosting Jupiter's effectiveness:
    I agree a Secondary Deflector be too much, as would a 3rd Hanger Pet; why I suggested possibly expanding Hanger Pet's a Specialist ability. I think a few Carriers (not all) should have specially trained Pilot, with a very limited Specialist ability, that's limited to 1, 2 or 3 Carriers like the Jupiter! Attack Pattern Lambda I would help the Jupiter with Fire-At-Will; if some of it's Pet's periodically had a 4th Skill to periodically choose from within.

    Realize: Caitian, Jem Hadar, and Malem Pilots (Hanger Bays) are one of the few Hanger Bays with a far wider selection of skills to choose from; though they aren't limited to any Carrier. Xindi however are limited to only specific Carriers, so I'd suggest something (above) could be considered for the Jupiter and a limited few others. :)

    Just trying to be constructive, while hoping they might give Jupiter, a second Hull design choice. :'(
    Post edited by strathkin on
    aYC8Lwf.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I waited since F2P for a playable Jupiter. However it's stats are terrible and it can't use the old 2409 skin so I never bought it.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Sign In or Register to comment.