test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

📢 The Reddit/Twitter dev tracker thread 📢

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    how does he figure 500 lobi is going to be enough to buy a ship when the bundle comes out? they're all 900 lobi, and even at the highest sale they've ever done (30% off), that comes to 630, which is 130 over the amount being given, so unless they're going to either make an even higher sale or permanently lower the lobi cost of all the ships in the store (which i wouldn't mind), that math just doesn't work out​​

I'm assuming that the math might be including two variables you're not considering Shadow. The pack also includes
    • 11 Lockbox Keys
    • 11 R&D Promotional Ship Crafting Packs

What always comes out of a lockbox if someone chooses to open it? Lobi.
    What is typically included in a PROMO R&D box? Lobi.

So... in theory... that's a big enough variable to bump up the amount to take into consideration a 30% off sale. Now... some people may choose to sell those for ECs... but that variable still exists.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    then you'd think he would've mentioned both those things alongside the 500 lobi, not the 500 lobi by itself​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You do know, we once had a 50% Lobi Sale.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    You should get an accolade B)

One that bumps your total ship slots up to ∞ on all characters :smile:
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    You should get an accolade B)

One that bumps your total ship slots up to ∞ on all characters :smile:

It probably causes the Admirality System to crash when all of those ships auto claim. :P
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2021

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Same problem, there are no C-Store Ships I do not have, so the two Free T6 Coupons were going unspent. It was only the foul up with the Titan on release that allowed me to use one of those Coupons. I have used a 50% off as well. They also seem to keep stuff in the New Tab too long.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Same problem, there are no C-Store Ships I do not have, so the two Free T6 Coupons were going unspent. It was only the foul up with the Titan on release that allowed me to use one of those Coupons. I have used a 50% off as well. They also seem to keep stuff in the New Tab too long.

The ship coupons will probably be tradable I'd imagine, but yeah Cryptic using them to claim it's a six ship bundle is ridiculous.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • darknamechaosdarknamechaos Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    What if they changed the two t6 coupons into an item that would allow us to unlock on our account two promo/lockbox ships, i would be willing to pay for this personaly over free coupons for ships i just buy in bundles anyway when on sale.
    edited February 2021
    What if they changed the two t6 coupons into an item that would allow us to unlock on our account two promo/lockbox ships, i would be willing to pay for this personaly over free coupons for ships i just buy in bundles anyway when on sale.

Kael said in one of his streams last year, I forget exactly when, that paid account unlocks for owned ships had been discussed at some point and the data around it researched, but the last time he asked for an update on it the decision was a definitive no.

The possibility of reboxing ships to transfer to an alt was brought up in another stream, all he said on that was that he knew people wanted that ability and he asked if it was something the person asking would be willing to pay for.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

I'm surprised by these late-edition changes to the Ambassador.

So I do applaud & thank Cryptic's "willingness" if that is indeed it to listen & make changes based-off of feedback from the masses.

I think the slight increase in hull is a positive resulting in a +.1 hull/shield combination compared the Yamaguchi variant while maintaining a +.5 turn-rate to the Yamaguchi too.

I think adding another 5 power to auxiliary is a positive, at least now resulting in an overall +20 power distribution overall equal with the Yamaguchi.

The changing of the Specializations could be a positive or a negative based upon playstyle, I do think the subsequent Gather Intelligence abilities are a positive, & at least now it's more distinctive.

I'm not sure it makes sense & might be out of left field but the addition of the Cloaking Device is interesting, innate Cloaking would've been mind-blowing.

I find Cryptic's changing of individual ships in this bundle good overall & still a bit perplexing that the B'rel didn't receive individual attention of the same but in it's stead a system-wide mechanic change albeit a positive one.

Is it too little too late? These ships, this bundle, have been in the pipeline for months at this stage knowing what players have been asking for all this time.

Also, did I miss it somewhere but where are the details of Holo-Worf's traits?
    I'm not sure it makes sense & might be out of left field but the addition of the Cloaking Device is interesting

Didn't notice that before, that's kind of surprising actually considering the Legendary JJPrise is full intel but can't use the cloak console. I wish they'd add some consistency to that, if I remember right innate cloak was supposed to be part of the full Intel ship gimmick, yet the Legendary Galaxy-X and Legendary Ambassador both need the console to cloak while the Legendary JJPrise can't cloak at all.
    eaY7Xxu.png

So I do applaud & thank Cryptic's "willingness" if that is indeed it to listen & make changes based-off of feedback from the masses.

I think the slight increase in hull is a positive resulting in a +.1 hull/shield combination compared the Yamaguchi variant while maintaining a +.5 turn-rate to the Yamaguchi too.

I think adding another 5 power to auxiliary is a positive, at least now resulting in an overall +20 power distribution overall equal with the Yamaguchi.

The changing of the Specializations could be a positive or a negative based upon playstyle, I do think the subsequent Gather Intelligence abilities are a positive, & at least now it's more distinctive.

I'm not sure it makes sense & might be out of left field but the addition of the Cloaking Device is interesting, innate Cloaking would've been mind-blowing.

I find Cryptic's changing of individual ships in this bundle good overall & still a bit perplexing that the B'rel didn't receive individual attention of the same but in it's stead a system-wide mechanic change albeit a positive one.

Is it too little too late? These ships, this bundle, have been in the pipeline for months at this stage knowing what players have been asking for all this time.

They are only half listening at best. The change to the ship still doesn't address the unwanted extras in the bundle that some of us, myself included, don't want. They also haven't listened on what potentially is the most important complaint with the bundle, which is the price! At the right price and bloat-free, I would have bought it for the Ambassador even though my T6 Fleet Ambassador was and still has some aspects that are better. At that price point, unless they add another 6 Legendary ships while keeping the price point the same. I am not interested! The price needs to either be halved in some way or 6 more Legendary ships need to be added. Preferably all KDF ships too!
    jcsww wrote: »

They are only half listening at best. The change to the ship still doesn't address the unwanted extras in the bundle that some of us, myself included, don't want. They also haven't listened on what potentially is the most important complaint with the bundle, which is the price! At the right price and bloat-free, I would have bought it for the Ambassador even though my T6 Fleet Ambassador was and still has some aspects that are better. At that price point, unless they add another 6 Legendary ships while keeping the price point the same. I am not interested! The price needs to either be halved in some way or 6 more Legendary ships need to be added. Preferably all KDF ships too!

Just because YOU are not interested in the extras does not mean they are useless. Veterans who have bought pretty much everything already may not have a need for them. But what about the new players coming to this game from the Discovery/Picard/Lower Decks audiences? The ability to make a single lump purchase and get six T6 ships, plus the fly all ships regardless of faction unlock right out of the gate is a wonderful enticement to begin their spending career with STO.

And to the KDF complainers about feddybear ships in their bundle... With that fly any ship unlock thast comes with it, those feddybear ships are KDF ships too, just like those KDF ships are Feddybear ships for the same reason.

Now... when sales of the bloated bundle plateau, I'm sure they will release a ship-only bundle. And when that bundle's sales plateau, they can release the individual ships. But when they DO release the individual ships, as I have said before elsewhere, expect their price point to be such tht if one were to buy them all individually, they would spend significantly more than they would have if they bought the ship only bundle.

Has anyone stopped to consider that what you see as bloat may in fact be part of a mandate from the marketing department? They are the ones who set the prices for everything. They are the ones who know the expected profits PWE wants to make. And with an influx of new players (which only Cryptic/PWE can directly measure) they know they need purchasables that can turn those new free players into spenders as quickly as possible. So naturally, this bundle is going to be geared towards that goal.

As much as people do not want to hear it, Cryptic/PWE is a business. STO is not a charity. As such, it would be stupid of them to not lead with a product that has proven metrics demonstrating profitability. We are not entitled to one bloody thing. If we want something badly enough then we will BUY it. If we don't buy it then we don't really want it.

A couple of weeks ago, Kael explained that what the vocal minority on the forums/reddit/social media wants does not match up with what the much larger number of players who do not engage in community discussions is willing to (and does) buy. We do not have access to those metrics. But you can bet if they reflected unprofitability, then the bloated bundle would not be a thing.

In a perfect world, we're all that matters. But TO Perfect World, where they stand to make the most money is what matters. And really, we do not have to spend a single penny of our own money on anything in this game, so again, our tantrums are pointless.

Be that as it may. I have posted a poll asking why people will not be buying the bundle. This is to give Cryptic actual numbers to look at should the bundle fail to generate favorable metrics as well as to give them other things to consider beyond whether or not something sells. Maybe it will be of some use.

I would like to see Cryptic/PWE prove their metrics and claims before running their mouths. Cryptic/PWE has never offered up any proof of most of what they claim.

So... you are essentially saying that only new players wants should matter? Who do you think has kept the game alive for the past 11 years? Not these new players that don't have any previous purchases to compare pricing and value against. What happens to businesses that don't listen to all of their customers and severely over charge the ones that still buy their products and services? They won't last long in most cases. Keys are available to purchase separately. They could throw the T6 ship coupons back in the store as well if they wanted to. If they want to offer a bundle, I don't have any issues with that. However, they should offer the ships as a stand alone bundle as well without the fluff. Otherwise, simply lowering the price to add value to the bundle would make it more enticing to a lot more people.

I don't mind that there are Fed ships in the bundle. However, I would like more KDF ships. I own a lot of Fed ships but not a lot of KDF ships. Obviously, I would be more inclined to buy more of something I have less of. I have the money to spend and the time to play but the price has to be fair for what they are offering before I buy.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »

Just because YOU are not interested in the extras does not mean they are useless. Veterans who have bought pretty much everything already may not have a need for them. But what about the new players coming to this game from the Discovery/Picard/Lower Decks audiences? The ability to make a single lump purchase and get six T6 ships, plus the fly all ships regardless of faction unlock right out of the gate is a wonderful enticement to begin their spending career with STO.

Sorry, but I honestly can't imagine this specific bundle being that attractive to a new player for 2 big reasons:

1: there are many other bundles that come with more ships/items for less or similar price range.

2: you can already buy individual versions of the ships in this bundle, so if someone is a big Ambassador or Excelsior fan they can get one for much less money.

And honestly, if this bundle were really being marketed towards new players they would have included inventory/bank slots and XP boosts.

So if you honestly put yourself in the shoes of a new player, and consider all of the things in the C-store that you could choose from, I simply don't believe many would choose this pack over other better value options.

No, I think the T6 coupons were simply Cryptic trying to add things to a bundle that they knew didn't really justify the price they were asking for it. If you disagree, that's fine. But I stand by the reasoning above.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    > @ltminns said:
    > You do know, we once had a 50% Lobi Sale.

You do know, we have another 50% Lobi Sale, right now. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Yea very nice for those who considering the Legendary Anniversary Bundle, and also for those who have some Lobi too...
    0zxlclk.png
    and also for those who have some Lobi too...

I still had most of my Lobi from the last event campaign, I recently decided to change my Disco/JJ hybrid character to a TWoK/JJ hybrid and it was nice to be able to get the excursion jacket and 5 TWoK phasers for half off :)
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    You guys are preaching to the converted here. I agree 100%, but there is how we look at stuff and how a business looks at stuff.

They are not going to PROVE their metrics to us. No MMO company would. We are not entitled to that information.

We can scream "I WANT!" all day long. But unless it a;igns with what their INTERNAL numbers show, WE AIN'T GONNA GET.

If we do not like something they offer, then we do not have to buy it. Maybe4 if enough people give the bundle a hard pass, they'll make other considerations.

I tell you though, even though people have screamed "I don't want that" in the past, I have seen plenty of instances of those things in the game. Someone is buying. Just not the ones who complain about it here. All they have to do is hit the magic number on their profit projections and whatever it is will be classified as a success, no matter how many people didn't buy it.

This has always been a metrics-driven company. Early on, before PWE, even, we were told that they didn't produce much Klingon content because not enough subscribers were playing Klingons, and not enough Klingon stuff on the C-store was selling. The FACT that the reason so few people were playing Klingons was because the game launched with the Klingon side drastically incomplete didn't enter their equation. They created the disparity, but it was our fault. Because... NUMBERS!

That has not changed... I doubt it ever will.

I'm just a messenger. I don't like the message either, but A=A...

I think they knew very early on that the starting situation for the KDF just wasn't great.
    But the game didn't really take off until it went F2P, and at that point, the game already had a lot more content for the KDF.

And over the years, they have done a lot to keep the Klingons relevant in the game.
    • One of their first Star Trek alumni (beyond launch) they got for the game was Michael Dorn.
    • They used the introduction of Tier 6 ships to sell a lot of cross-faction bundles that gave you 3 ships for the price of 2.
    • For the Iconian Arc, they ensured that there was plenty of Klingon-related story content. It wasn't some Federation Captain that lead the Delta Alliance, it was a KLingon character.
    • For the Tzenkethi Arc, they again leaned heavily in to the KDF with bringing back Martok and the sword of Khaless and all.
    • They brought back the Hur'q, a species that we only ever heard about via Klingon-related stories in canon content.
    • And now we got a Klingon Civil War that brought Kurn, Martok and Gowron and heavily plays with Klingon mythology. The truth is that this story has basically nothing that really suites Federation or Romulan Captains and does everything to make the KDF interesting. You see its culture, you see the old
    • And now we finally got a Klingon recruitment drive.
    I think things won't get any better for the KDF anymore. If this doesn't boost the KDF and interest in Klingon paid content (like sips), then Cryptic can be fairly certain that it's a losing game and that they really tried everything they could still short of deleting the Federation faction.
    And anyone that still thinks there is a huge untapped KDF fandom out there, or still blames "but at launch KDF sucked!" is just willfully ignoring the facts.

It could very well be that this legendary bundle isn't good enough (too expensive, ships you don't want, whatever), but there will probably be a few more things in the future, and here are still plenty of KDF ships already in the store that people could pick up now that they made their recruitment character or fell in love with the Klingons again. So the final verdict is still a bit off.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    And over the years, they have done a lot to keep the Klingons relevant in the game.
    They really didn't.
    As @sirsitsalot said, as many have said time and again: they created the disparity.
    In you words, you may want to "just willfully ignore the facts", but the facts aren't gonna change: the balance has always been
    skewed toward the Federation - and once again, no one is asking for total equality, just for more consideration.

As for your list:
    - Michael Dorn was brought to the game because his character was incredibly popular; had it been a Ferengi, they would've done the same;
    - How is getting 3 ships for the price of 2 "keepin the Klingons relevant" is beside me;
    - Kagran may have been in charge of the Delta Alliance, as you call it, but he could just as well have been a cat for all he did compared to all the other characters;
    - Martok was a nice touch, I can give you that;
    - Making the Hur'q, and the Fek'Ihri, just a botched experiment of the Dominion was a incredible joke that spat all over Klingon-lore;
    - The Klingon Civil War it's important to every power in the quadrant, because it can change the politcal landscape completely; and if there's one thing that it sure as hell doesn't do is "make the KDF interesting";
    - The Recruitment is nothing but a timegated drivel with only one really worth it reward for the entire account, and that's the Whitering Barrage available for free.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.