What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Year of the Voth

2»

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    We need a year of the Gorn!

Cracking Gorny jokes a couple of days each is is manageable, but to insist for such a thing for a whole year is bordering the criminally insane.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    szerontzur wrote: »
    I guess the amusing thing about this topic is that, to my knowledge, Voth were originally planned to be a playable race.

Personally, I don't really want to see them go that far, but I would LOVE to see the Dyson Sphere arc get revamp love next. From that comically awful cutscene when you first board the Obelisk, to re-tuning the Voth Battlezone with new boss mechanics and having a fair shot at the bosses if you put in the work to flip the zone are things really high up on my personal list of things that should be revisited/fixed by the team. Those situations are honestly just embarrassing.
    That obelisk cutscene is just awful. Seriously probably the worst in the game.

Though I don't recall Cryptic ever saying voth were going to be playable.

I recall a certain lead designer discussing it on podcast a long time ago(one of the near-christmas ones, maybe?) that Voth were outlined as a potential playable faction VERY EARLY in development, but ended up giving up on the idea before/after all the work of just adding the 'red team' to the game.

Either way, I really don't see much room/point to add them as a playable faction now. It would just be a JHV 2.0 faction with less actual variety. Alliance ships kind of cover the AP damage type now; would rather see a new faction with a Tetryon damage base type before any others, personally.

Really? Now I'm even more disappointed that we can't play as them.

Still, if there's huge fans of the Voth amongst the developer's team, that's still good news. I guess that's why we still have Breach events every year then.

A full faction is probably not likely to happen. Still, a mini-faction would be fine with me. That would still, hopefully, open up new costumes, new weapons, boffs, new ships perhaps and maybe a few episodes with new environments and perhaps even a small social hub that we can enjoy.

There was a rumor going around a while ago that Kobali were originally supposed to be a playable race too (possibly why there are player character uniforms for them), but the devs were surprised by the highly vocal negative reaction some players had about them when the idea was "leaked" or whatever. It makes me wonder if the Delta recruit was originally meant to encourage people to try some of the Delta quadrant races but the devs changed their minds or something.

Since it seems that quadrant demifactions are off the table for the foreseeable future (and have been for quite some time), it would be nice if Voth could be made using "alien", and "alien" should be available across the board (which it isn't since Gamma lacks that tab in their generator).
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    thay8472 wrote: »
    We need a year of the Gorn!

I was way ahead of you, https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1259930/yog-year-of-gorn sidenote I'm a member of Gornhub on at least one of my toons.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The reason is that as a surprise, the next Infinity Promo will have a T6 Bulwark added. ;) .
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    really dont get why its 2 voth tfo instead of klingon

Yeah that's strange. The reward also has nothing to do with the Voth.

Which is disappointing as it suggests they have run out of ideas.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I guess the amusing thing about this topic is that, to my knowledge, Voth were originally planned to be a playable race.

Personally, I don't really want to see them go that far, but I would LOVE to see the Dyson Sphere arc get revamp love next. From that comically awful cutscene when you first board the Obelisk, to re-tuning the Voth Battlezone with new boss mechanics and having a fair shot at the bosses if you put in the work to flip the zone are things really high up on my personal list of things that should be revisited/fixed by the team. Those situations are honestly just embarrassing.

I recall a certain lead designer discussing it on podcast a long time ago(one of the near-christmas ones, maybe?) that Voth were outlined as a potential playable faction VERY EARLY in development, but ended up giving up on the idea before/after all the work of just adding the 'red team' to the game.

Either way, I really don't see much room/point to add them as a playable faction now. It would just be a JHV 2.0 faction with less actual variety. Alliance ships kind of cover the AP damage type now; would rather see a new faction with a Tetryon damage base type before any others, personally.

Still, if there's huge fans of the Voth amongst the developer's team, that's still good news. I guess that's why we still have Breach events every year then.

A full faction is probably not likely to happen. Still, a mini-faction would be fine with me. That would still, hopefully, open up new costumes, new weapons, boffs, new ships perhaps and maybe a few episodes with new environments and perhaps even a small social hub that we can enjoy.

There was a rumor going around a while ago that Kobali were originally supposed to be a playable race too (possibly why there are player character uniforms for them), but the devs were surprised by the highly vocal negative reaction some players had about them when the idea was "leaked" or whatever. It makes me wonder if the Delta recruit was originally meant to encourage people to try some of the Delta quadrant races but the devs changed their minds or something.

Since it seems that quadrant demifactions are off the table for the foreseeable future (and have been for quite some time), it would be nice if Voth could be made using "alien", and "alien" should be available across the board (which it isn't since Gamma lacks that tab in their generator).

Personally I don't mind them taking that decision. Kobali aren't that interesting imo. Visually, they're basically purple-ish Bolians. And I can see why their story attracted negative reactions. If I recall, most people didn't really dislike the presence of the species though, but that (amongst other things) they were forced to help them when they provoked the conflict with the Vaadwaur.

I also remember that one of the developers appreciated the noise that was made as a result, because he saw it as a confirmation that morals can be ambiguous. Which was disappointing to read because the story never did much to convince people to side with the Kobali.
    At least the Voth didn't provoke a war and then play the victim card and it wasn't shown that their plans, while perhaps confirmed to be reckless, totally disregarded other species' around them (for all we know, maybe destroying subspace around their city ships or worlds would have greatly helped neighbouring species - if there were any who would have been affected - who could well have been under attack by the Borg too).

At least Kobali are part of the tailor - and some of their characteristics were also useful additions to it. I'm still hoping that at least the Voth horns for example can be added to the tailor indeed.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User

Personally I don't mind them taking that decision. Kobali aren't that interesting imo. Visually, they're basically purple-ish Bolians. And I can see why their story attracted negative reactions. If I recall, most people didn't really dislike the presence of the species though, but that (amongst other things) they were forced to help them when they provoked the conflict with the Vaadwaur.

I also remember that one of the developers appreciated the noise that was made as a result, because he saw it as a confirmation that morals can be ambiguous. Which was disappointing to read because the story never did much to convince people to side with the Kobali.
    At least the Voth didn't provoke a war and then play the victim card and it wasn't shown that their plans, while perhaps confirmed to be reckless, totally disregarded other species' around them (for all we know, maybe destroying subspace around their city ships or worlds would have greatly helped neighbouring species - if there were any who would have been affected - who could well have been under attack by the Borg too).

At least Kobali are part of the tailor - and some of their characteristics were also useful additions to it. I'm still hoping that at least the Voth horns for example can be added to the tailor indeed.

This might not be popular but I liked the Kobali, even more so than the Talaxians, how can you claim to be warp capable if every member of your species is so Goddamn lazy, you f***ing space hobbits are just asking to die and be handed to the Kobali, there should just be a Delta Quadrant sub faction, involving Hirogen, Kazon, Ocampas, Turei, Voth, Hazari, Hierarchy, Octanti, Benthans and non LTS races of the Cooperative, maybe the Borg Cooperative should be their own sub faction.
This discussion has been closed.