test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

fleet scamming people?

whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 415 Arc User
this was a first for me i think a fleet was scamming people. i got a fleet invite seemed cool at first they had everything maxed out. i noticed a lot of new people joining and then quitting really quick. so i go look into fleet holding and sure everything was maxed but absolutely no projects going. so no way to donate. then i check the fleet info . come to find out the only way to be able to use the fleet store is to donate 10 keys. i almost did it but then i remembered there was no way to donate to get fleet credits to by stuff. so i figured that this guy is just trying to get keys from people so i quit with all the other people that were quitting. anyone else run into something like this?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    I don't know if it was so much a scam as he was just selling access to those holdings. I don't think there was a malicious intent.
    But I could be wrong to lol
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    come to find out the only way to be able to use the fleet store is to donate 10 keys
    Imho this is not appropriate. Would advise people seeing this sort of thing to press the "leave fleet" button at the bottom right of the fleet roster. Then find a fleet that would perhaps at the very least allow you to fill a provisioning project to get a minimum required contributions to access fleet stores. Other maxed fleets may have a secondary or other fleet within the armada needing donations. There are a variety of ways. Even flipping a 30 minute turnover starbase project several times per day.

Don't get me wrong... purchasing from a maxed holding is getting something that took years of work, but it should not be for profit to fleet owners.

Members do need to help keep provisioning levels up though. Provisions cost resources, right from that maxed out holding's very first project a long time ago, but there are better ways to do business.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    yea there are a lot of fleets giving access out for free. all you need yourself is a fleet with a few provisions. if you ask in dps-bronze as example you should usualy get an invite to a fully upgraded holding and you could buy there by using your own provisions. the only things excluded from that are fleet ships, since you need to join the fleet there, but even that shouldnt be a big problem for most.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    There are so many fleets out there with maxed holding and no or minimal requirements that stuff like this shouldn't happen. Just ask for a fleet in chat, either on ESD or the other homeworlds or even sector chat.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    I'd say that any fleet that essentially demands IRL money for access to the fleet stores (and yes i know you can get 10 keys thru EC or Dilithium conversions) is being unreasonable.

Now in game currency especially if it's not insane sums I could see (especially if the fleet has had problems with people just looting the fleet store/bank and leaving), but for me paying a since (euro)cent of my own money (even if indirectly thru master keys) is just not reasonable price to pay, especially since I got only their word that they hold their end of the bargain. In-game currency I can get back just by playing the game so it's not as big deal as IRL money which is much harder to get especially at current conditions.

Note that I don't agree that there should be a fee for accessing fleet stores/bank but I can see why some people might put a in-game currency fee there, IRL money fee those I can't understand.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I saw something in chat about this the other day it was one of those particular people or things that shall remain names less if everyone gets what I am saying
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    Are they allowed to do it? Well, yeah; in the extremely unlikely event anyone is willing to pay 10 keys for fleet holding access, then they've agreed to the terms imposed.

Is it reasonable? Hell no. It might not be a scammy thing, but it is a scummy thing. (well, much worse, but then the pun wouldn't work)

There are loads of fleets out there who have maxed holdings and allow people to join; there's a chat channel called Nerds of Prey Public Service where people do Fleet services like that, and it's against channel rules to charge for access. I've even gotten access to buy Fleet ships before, although it can be quite a long wait for that...

/channel_join NoP Public Service
    (type that into chat to join the channel)
  • whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Are they allowed to do it? Well, yeah; in the extremely unlikely event anyone is willing to pay 10 keys for fleet holding access, then they've agreed to the terms imposed.

Is it reasonable? Hell no. It might not be a scammy thing, but it is a scummy thing. (well, much worse, but then the pun wouldn't work)

There are loads of fleets out there who have maxed holdings and allow people to join; there's a chat channel called Nerds of Prey Public Service where people do Fleet services like that, and it's against channel rules to charge for access. I've even gotten access to buy Fleet ships before, although it can be quite a long wait for that...

/channel_join NoP Public Service
    (type that into chat to join the channel)
    the reason i think it was a scam was because there were no projects running. if you cant donate you cant buy anything. so you are basically giving the guy 10 keys for no reason making fleet store useless

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    It's not a scam, but it's definitely scummy. If folks agree to hand over the keys to buy stuff, that's on them as you can't scam the willing who know what they're getting into. Also if you've already got the fleet credits and such, then the lack of projects won't matter.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.