test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Customers require at least 24 hour notification

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11484163

- This patch notes link was posted on Thu 11 Feb 2021 06:44:57 PM PST ( 03:44:57u AM /// GMT+1 my local time )
- At the time of posting I was fast asleep, dreaming about better customer care
- The patch will be applied in less then 13 hours from the time of posting
- When I was playing STO on Thu 11 Feb 2021 there was no notification ingame about a patch the following day nor was there any such information on the launcher when I activated it
- Remember players play StarTrekONLINE - they dont play launcherONLINE, they dont play forumONLINE, they dont play redditONLINE, they dont play twitterONLINE and neither should u expect them to do so
- Therefore it is recommended to have patching/server downtime notification appear ingame in the numerous empty UI spaces or on the launcher with at last 24 hour prior notifications - so that players are well informed upon activiating the STO launcher - because as u well know - how many players re-launch the launcher after the game has already started ?

So, my request to u - inform your customers at least 24 hour prior to any downtime - and if possible do this ingame

I thank u for your time

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    dyoniccus wrote: »
    So, my request to u - inform your customers at least 24 hour prior to any downtime - and if possible do this ingame

Patch notes are always released the night before, there's rarely 24 hours notice outside of the fact that it's usually done on a Thursday. However Kael DID say during his stream on Wednesday that there would hopefully be another emergency maintenance today to fix bugs with the patch.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    The patch notes were not up yet, but the launcher already noted the downtime around 3pm PST.

Not everyone will see that right away, sure, but in this case there was also a note two days ago that they'd be looking into an update late this week or early next for the problems caused by the last patch.

So, while better communication is always something to hope for, this emergency patch might not be the best example to use. :)
  • Options
    altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    dyoniccus wrote: »
    SNIP

No.
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    My 2-cents is I want Cryptic to perform server maintenance or bring the server down for an emergency as when needed.

That might mean I'm irritated but so be it, the integrity of the game out-weighs any mood I might feel towards my missing-out.

I do hope Cryptic can release any relevant patch notes asap, sometimes that happens I'm sure & sometimes it doesn't which I'm sure of too.

I often find it irritating the absence of patch notes officially being posted in the STO official forums, but their company their standards for prioritizing third-party social media sites.

"So, my request to u - inform your customers at least 24 hour prior to any downtime" While ideal it is impractical.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,015 Arc User
    Patch notes HAVE always been released the night before, and the CM (mostly) will post them on the forum at the same time to. You should always also check Social Media (you don't need an account to view STO's social media). Notification about maintenance is always carried out outside of the game. You are notified ingame when the servers are about to go offline. This is how it has been for 11 years.
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I often find it irritating the absence of patch notes officially being posted in the STO official forums, but their company their standards for prioritizing third-party social media sites.

Lots of things did seem to be posted only on twitter/reddit or only discussed on a livestream for a while. Patch notes are usually in the news section here, though, and I'm ok with that. (https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,015 Arc User
    tagen wrote: »

Lots of things did seem to be posted only on twitter/reddit or only discussed on a livestream for a while. Patch notes are usually in the news section here, though, and I'm ok with that. (https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news)

To be fair. Kael has begun to learn his lesson over just posting on SM, as of late patch notes have appeared in the forum more frequently. He just needs to start posting notification of where there are no patch notes downtime is for backend purposes ONLY. Kael is improving. Slowly, but surely. Still has a long way to go, but he's getting there.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    tagen wrote: »

To be fair. Kael has begun to learn his lesson over just posting on SM, as of late patch notes have appeared in the forum more frequently. He just needs to start posting notification of where there are no patch notes downtime is for backend purposes ONLY. Kael is improving. Slowly, but surely. Still has a long way to go, but he's getting there.

I agree he, Ambassador Kael, is doing better lately with communication & I appreciate that. Especially since I almost abhor third-party social media sites. I even expect a stumble backwards leaving the STO official forums forgotten again from time to time, & that's okay too. I just hope the intent to include these forums persists.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,523 Arc User
    Nope.

Cryptic doesn't spend the time and money creating emergency patches for fun. Emergency patches aren't planned and scheduled days in advance. Emergency patches are released as soon as possible once they pass QA.

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    Typically you are given at least 24 hours notice on the regular. Emergency patches are just that, emergency situations that crop up and are not planned for. They give as much notice as they can but beyond saying "hey this is what's up" you're not entitled to anything. /closed.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.