test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Year of the Klingon" what did they get right?

fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
I'm a hardcore KDF fanbois and I've been critical 0f the "year of the Klingon" for good reason. Only 1 KDF ship released over the entire 2020, over priced "legendary" bundle (the outrage forced Cryptic to make changes) and the outright butchery of missions like the assault on Mars. In many ways, too many, "Year of the Klingon" was a missed opportunity but three things where done REALLY well and Cryptic deserves thanks and praise for it.

So what did they get right?

1) Robert O'Reilly and J G Hertzler

I'm 40 years old and when you say "Klingon" to my generation we think of three individuals Worf, Martok and Gowron, We followed the career of Gowron from the TNG episode "Reunion", his rise, fall, descent into jealousy and madness before his death in the DS9 episode "Tacking into the wind".

These three Klingons represent the best, worst and reality of Klingons. Worf is the ideal, the "textbook" Klingon. Gowron is the Klingon corrupted by power, twisting his ideals. Martok is the Klingon charting a course between both paths a realist and practical Klingon.

Seeing these two iconic actors reprising their roles in the civil war arc was a genuine and real delight. For all my issues and complaints with other aspects of the "YotK" I can not praise the devs enough for getting these guys on board.

2) The Klingon civil war

I actualy like the way the civil war arc develops. The tragedy of J'ula shattering the unity her brother has created so long ago, the curse of power corrupting another chancellor and Martok stepping up to be the honourable Klingon doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Klingons represent the honourable warrior ideal striving against the taint of greed and power. It's something we see in historical parallels with the likes of European knights and Japanese samurai.

I know some people have said that a Klingon civil war is unoriginal but I think it's an important aspect of their culture. If you look at the lore of the Klingons, their history is a cycle of internal conflict as they fight their darker nature and search for honour. The war against their own gods, the conflict between Kahless and Molor, General K'Trelen's assassination of the Imperial family and civil war that led T'Kuvma to unite the great houses.

Klingon history and society is built by these cycles of internal struggle when they fall to their darker sides before finding the path of the honourable ideal. I really like how STO is continuing this cycle.

3) Klingon customisation

Dreadlocks? What the hell is with the freaking dreadlocks? Actualy having REAL Klingon hairstyle is a REALLY big deal! Also the uniform options are good and I do like the Disco clothing options.

Space Barbie is so important to many of us.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    Feds getting more ships than the kdf during year of klingon is the most klingon thing in sto.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,519 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    First KDF arc:

I haven't played through all the revamped episodes yet (I've been busy), but they did a good job on touching up the tutorial and next few episodes. Better visuals, streamlined, added waypoints, etc.

Klingon Recruits:

The old infographics showed that something like 2/3 of players never created a Klingon captain. Hopefully this will get many of them to finally do so.

I also like the new mechanic of the bat'leth that gains new effects as you use it, instead of just having the damage increase with mark level.
This discussion has been closed.