test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

plasma torpedo boat questions

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
I haven't really played in a couple of years and just recently returned with the anniversary event. The last time i looked into torpedo mechanics was for my science torp boat (using gravimetric, particle emission, and terran tf torps) and back then i recall it being said that any more than 3 torpedoes on the front slots was a waste because the torpedo firing cycles/cooldowns would overlap.

Now im wanting to set up a reman captain using the legendary t'liss warbird, and go with a non-science torpedo build (which ive never done and they seem fairly rare). The ship has a 5/2 setup and while I'm sure I'll use some weapon slots for set bonuses, im wanting to put as many effective torpedoes on the front as possible, and if possible make them all plasma torpedoes to fit the Romulan theme (really loved Romulan plasma torps back in my sfc2 eaw days).

Currently i plan on using the romulan hyper plasma torpedo, omega plasma torpedo, and particle emission plasma torpedo at least, and maybe add the new nanopulse plasma torpedo and others as able.

I'll probably keep the plasma warhead module console as well, since its free plasma torps separate from weapon cooldowns/firing cycles. Obviously I'll have to go with 2 pc terran weapon set and ceaseless momentum and the terran active space rep traits for various torpedo bonuses as well.

Also considering using the command boff seating to fit in focused assault(?) III, since it gives a free torpedo high yield every 2 seconds to attackers, so my tactical boffs can focus on torp spreads.

Any input or suggestions on this build?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    4 front torps is fine, heck I have all 5 in front, though the problem with 5 is the hyper plasma tends to keep other torps from firing while it is. SO perhaps don't use the hyper plasma or partical emission since your going not science torp build.

If you snag it this lobi set https://sto.gamepedia.com/Contractual_Agreement_Set for two piece cat 1 bonus torp and the mine. I would also suggest using the https://sto.gamepedia.com/Lorca's_Ambition two piece set bonus is nice. As well a the shield pen from the console.

Focused assault ? You mean concentrate firepower?

• Options
    Yea concentrate firepower, thats the one. Couldnt recall the name offhand.

Perhapa putting the Romulan hyper plasma in a slot further right would help? Iirc weapons cycle from left slot to right
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Perhapa putting the Romulan hyper plasma in a slot further right would help? Iirc weapons cycle from left slot to right

While it may not be meta, I like the Destabilized Plasma Torpedo I hit for over 100k on it, as plasma torp consoles improve its damage.

But since your using plasma torps if you go HY I would also suggest this trait https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Holographic_Mirage_Decoys as it keeps your torps alive.
  • Options
    Destabilized torp is from one of the tliss consoles right? Probably going to use most or all of that set anyways since it comes with the legendary ship.

Ill look into the decoys, i use it on my carriers but i think the price has gone up significantly on it since i last bought one
  • Options
    Destabilized torp is from one of the tliss consoles right? Probably going to use most or all of that set anyways since it comes with the legendary ship.

Ill look into the decoys, i use it on my carriers but i think the price has gone up significantly on it since i last bought one

Yes it is from t'liss set, even though your not going science I would still use Grav well 1 to bunch the enemy to gather so your plasma HY hit all enemies with their AOE damage. Also cloak dancing, aka cloaking and de-cloaking often will help your damage and try to avoid getting too close to your targets as the AOE's will kill you.

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

While it may not be meta, I like the Destabilized Plasma Torpedo I hit for over 100k on it, as plasma torp consoles improve its damage.

But since your using plasma torps if you go HY I would also suggest this trait https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Holographic_Mirage_Decoys as it keeps your torps alive.

I use the opening salve console from the Titan with my T'Liss, along with the Destabilized plasma torpedo......the bad guys go "ow ow ow!" . :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Temporal spec can give your HY plasma torps temp HP, if you lack holographic mirage decoys. It also gives you some useful EPG if you're using the PEP torpedo.

You'll also want https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Universal_-_Swarmer_Matrix if you can get it.

This trait is also important. https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Torpedo_Pre-Fire_Sequence

You'll also want torpedo doffs. Law is free if you run through the Nimbus missions, but I'd have at least two if you go with 5 fore torpedoes.

If you're doing 5 foreward torps, you might not need it, but a short recharge torpedo as the final one in the sequence to trigger your torp doffs if none of the others do is a good idea. The Kelvin torpedo is probably hard to find right now, but the Kentari missile should also work, or there are lobi missiles. The hyperplasma should work for that too, though.

The KHG Borg rep set or adapted MACO also offer extra torpedo damage.

You already know you want the Terran Rep 2 piece, which absolutely should include the console because assuming your torpedo doffs trigger, it generally doubles your DPS potential.

The other thing to consider is what to do with your power. Even though you're not science, you can afford a lot of extra power to aux, and that allows you to help your torpedoes out with shield drains like tachyon beam and charged particle burst, and some traits for them from science ships like Tachyon Dispersal and Charged Particle Emission.

Other traits to consider might be strike from shadows, target that explosion, stay on target, reverberation. If you have tactical BOFF spots to spare, you should also look at entwined tactical matrices. The new Temer trait could be very useful too, but obviously may cause problems using destructible torpedoes. Of course there are a lot of options in ship traits and whatever you do have may be useful in some ways, no need to go shopping for more.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Don't use the Omega torp in a multiple torp build. It messes the timing up.
  • Options

I use the opening salve console from the Titan with my T'Liss, along with the Destabilized plasma torpedo......the bad guys go "ow ow ow!" . :)
    Do you know if the damage on opening salvo get increased by plasma torp tac consoles ? or are they just generic quantum or photons only.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Don't use the Omega torp.

Fixed that for you. There really isn't any value to that torpedo these days.
  • Options
    Ive got a swarm matrix console in my bank ive been hanging onto, i was going to use it on a carrier but i completely missed that it also applies to targetable torpedoes, so that'll be great here.

I have quite a few zstore ships for traits from doing other builds, and i was already considering entwined tactical matrices to get around the shared cooldown on multiple torpedo spreads. I figure i can use faw and csv, even without those weapon types, to get extra free torpedo spreads, and as mentioned concentrate firepower to get frequent high yields.

The legendary tliss does have a ltcom sci station so i can fit gravity well into the build easy enough, just not sure I'll have much in the way of control exp or epg.

Another question: does the auto decloak when firing torpedoes from enhanced battle cloak apply the ambush bonus? This will likely be a reman captain so I'll get the extended ambush from infiltrator.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Candidly speaking, EPG is the way to go if you're running radiation(Photon) or Plasma torps. I know you mentioned not wanting to go into Sci, but you will be handicapping yourself if you don't(there's just way too much synergy to ignore). Quantum and Transphasic(hasn't aged well) torp boats are probably the only two I'd say it'd be fine to not run EPG with. Mines are usually a good option if you're running a non-EPG torpboat as well, although I think the only noteworthy plasma ones are the Corrosive Blast Mines from the Lobi store.

Concentrate Firepower is nice for the free THY, but don't rely on it too much; it's easy for others to unintentionally steal the procs.

As you've already gathered, Ceaseless Momentum is the big game-changer. The Legendary T'liss trait can help you get more THYs out as well(it used to be extremely broken with the set that cloaks you while stationary, but it was fixed). Additionally, with a THY Spammer, the Sona Battlecruiser trait is excellent(again, it benefits from EPG).

In terms of Space Traits, the two I would recommend are Resonating Payload Modification(you'll be belching out a lot of torps and each one will reduce resistances) and Holographic Mirage Decoys(plasma has a lot of targetable torps). S.W.A.T. System can be useful, but it is more of a quality of life trait. I might be forgetting one or two, but I'm not ingame at the moment to check.

In terms of consoles.. Swarmer Matrix is the main one that comes to mind; makes your torps faster and hit harder. Otherwise, it's mostly a matter of which gimmicks you want to add on for flavor.

There is a potential DOff consideration. If you're FED-aligned and got the Lower Decks boffs when they were given out, Brad Boimler will give your normal torps a chance to spawn toxic clouds, similar to the PEP torp. (Again, it scales with EPG.)

You can also get similar numbers from the Omega Plasma Bolt(THY) if you're looking for big hits. I remember my old plasma boat in the LoR days was able to nail borg cubes for 150k(non-crit). I imagine you can relatively comfortably get to the 450k range these days if you hit an unshielded hull. (Titan Console is a great option for that.)

One final note/warning: Plasma Torp Builds tend to require a bit of patience and can become increasingly frustrating the better your team is. The main reason I benched my Plasma Boat for my Radiation Boat is because, despite all the stacked speed boosts, it's very common for stuff to die before your death-blob of plasma actually reaches its target. Sure, your torps will stick around and re-acquire targets, but its very easy for them to get picked off by warp core blasts and the like or simply timeout from constantly chasing new targets around without making contact.

My current favorite use for the Romulan Hyper torp, for example, is probably on my borged-up Kara with ceaseless momentum and scorpions all spewing out torp swarms while snaring things with tractor mines and the borg tractor console. It's not really the main focus of the build, but it is a very messy and fun kind of chaos that's great against swarms of enemies. More of a deadly point-defense system rather than the primary attack system, if you will.

• Options
    Yea my old original Romulan captain runs a t'laru carrier with the omega and hyper plasma torps and elite scorpion fighters, plasma blobs go everywhere. Kinda recreating that here but i want to run the leg t'liss.

I wasnt aware that EPG boosts plasma torpedoes, though. I figured it only applied to specific weapons (like the particle emission plasma or gravimetric) and sci abilities. I can try to fit some epg in but the ship has limited science consoles for it.

How would you set up captain skills for this ship? Heavy tactical?
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    szerontzur wrote: »
    “although I think the only noteworthy plasma ones are the Corrosive Blast Mines from the Lobi store.”
    Those are some of the worst mines in game, I find them absolutely terrible after testing and much worse than basic plasma mines. The entire Corrosive set is messed up and needs a balance pass. The corrosive torpedo is in just a bad state as the corrosive mine.

“One final note/warning: Plasma Torp Builds tend to require a bit of patience and can become increasingly frustrating the better your team is. The main reason I benched my Plasma Boat for my Radiation Boat is because, despite all the stacked speed boosts, it's very common for stuff to die before your death-blob of plasma actually reaches its target”
    There is a little known solutions to solve that. TOS plasma doesn’t turn into slow moving plasma balls. Fit 2 or 3 TOS Plasma Torpedoes' and expreince an entirely different feel to a Plasma projectile boat.
  • Options
    Yea my old original Romulan captain runs a t'laru carrier with the omega and hyper plasma torps and elite scorpion fighters, plasma blobs go everywhere. Kinda recreating that here but i want to run the leg t'liss.

I wasnt aware that EPG boosts plasma torpedoes, though. I figured it only applied to specific weapons (like the particle emission plasma or gravimetric) and sci abilities. I can try to fit some epg in but the ship has limited science consoles for it.

Crit(damage multipliers, in general - especially if you're looking to maximize Omega Plasma Bolt hits), penetration and epg are my recommendations.

pottsey5g wrote: »
    “although I think the only noteworthy plasma ones are the Corrosive Blast Mines from the Lobi store.”
    Those are some of the worst mines in game, I find them absolutely terrible after testing and much worse than basic plasma mines. The entire Corrosive set is messed up and needs a balance pass. The corrosive torpedo is in just a bad state as the corrosive mine.

“One final note/warning: Plasma Torp Builds tend to require a bit of patience and can become increasingly frustrating the better your team is. The main reason I benched my Plasma Boat for my Radiation Boat is because, despite all the stacked speed boosts, it's very common for stuff to die before your death-blob of plasma actually reaches its target”
    There is a little known solutions to solve that. TOS plasma doesn’t turn into slow moving plasma balls. Fit 2 or 3 TOS Plasma Torpedoes' and expreince an entirely different feel to a Plasma projectile boat.

I appreciate the heads up on the blast mines.

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember those TOS torps being different, but I am way too satisfied with my Nekrid Radiation Bomber to go back to experimenting with plasma setups right now. (Most of my experimentations/resources are focused on AoE-heal setups and '-team'/'-fleet' synergy builds at the moment.) It is a great tip for the topic though!
  • Options

Crit(damage multipliers, in general - especially if you're looking to maximize Omega Plasma Bolt hits), penetration and epg are my recommendations.

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember those TOS torps being different, but I am way too satisfied with my Nekrid Radiation Bomber to go back to experimenting with plasma setups right now. (Most of my experimentations/resources are focused on AoE-heal setups and '-team'/'-fleet' synergy builds at the moment.) It is a great tip for the topic though!
    Do you have anything written up on that Radiation Bomber? Sounds interesting, many years ago I built around Radiation but didn't get very far. Once this KDF Recruit is done my next plan is to rebuild my Plasma Burn build. Then I might take another look at Radiation.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the dranuur plasma torpedoes also create salvos under HY instead of destructibles - and the nanopulse DOES, so be careful when firing it under HY​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

Do you have anything written up on that Radiation Bomber? Sounds interesting, many years ago I built around Radiation but didn't get very far. Once this KDF Recruit is done my next plan is to rebuild my Plasma Burn build. Then I might take another look at Radiation.

I.. do not actually have it written up; it's a hybrid/evolution of my old photon armitage spammer.
    Here is a fast and dirty mock-up:
    https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/78867e058a81d2ea096b71b525b44857
    Notes included for the missing and quirky stuff.
  • Options

I.. do not actually have it written up; it's a hybrid/evolution of my old photon armitage spammer.
    Here is a fast and dirty mock-up:
    https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/78867e058a81d2ea096b71b525b44857
    Notes included for the missing and quirky stuff.
    Thanks
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    If you are going with HY plasma torps, I suggest using the 2pc Romulan Rep Shield and impulse, and 2pc Competitive deflector and singularity core. That is what I use on my stealth Malem bomber. There is also a Terran rep trait that increases destructable torp speed.

Alpha strike with Big Red!
  • Options
    Would it be better to go reman for the ambush bonus or Romulan for the extra crit and severity?

Was initially considering reman kdf aligned, but now im thinking Romulan fed aligned (ceaseless momentum is easier to get on feds from the exchange)
  • Options
    > @garaffe said:
    > If you are going with HY plasma torps, I suggest using the 2pc Romulan Rep Shield and impulse, and 2pc Competitive deflector and singularity core. That is what I use on my stealth Malem bomber. There is also a Terran rep trait that increases destructable torp speed.
    >
    > Alpha strike with Big Red!

Wouldn't competitive engines be better for the speed boost?

Not sure what the competitive 2pc bonus is.
  • Options
    Would it be better to go reman for the ambush bonus or Romulan for the extra crit and severity?

Was initially considering reman kdf aligned, but now im thinking Romulan fed aligned (ceaseless momentum is easier to get on feds from the exchange)
    Romulan, you get increased ambush damage and if you get a Reman officer or have the Intel ship bundle you can use the boff officer there for longer ambush.
This discussion has been closed.