test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the best Klingon melee weapon?

indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
I am doing a lot more close combat with my new Klingon recruit. What weapons do you like?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Well... can't really beat any of the Bat'leth variants for that classic Klingon feel, however if you prefer a more sword like weapon, The Butcher's Mek'leth is a good one.

As for the Bat'leth variants... its all really based on personal preference. We got quite a few, from the basic one to the Kelvin Timeline variant, the Discovery variant, Torg's bat'leth, and the Shard Sword of Kahless. Then we also have the less common ones like the Tritanium Rending Bat'leth that can be picked up in the Phoenix Store, the C-Store Kristak blade, and even the Terran Rep swiss army Bat'leth.

Not I didn't bring up any of the nanopulse ones, as I was also taking into consideration possible use against the Borg, who CAN adapt to the plasma damage the nanopulse weapons deal, vs the kinetic or physical that all the others deal.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    tritanium batleth's pretty good, for me, anyhow.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    I always like the look of the Shard Sword but unfortunately as it isn’t Upgradeable that puts a bit of a damper on it. Technically I think the best statswise will be the event Bat’leth. Butcher’s Mek’leth is great too, since swords are a bit better than the polearms in STO. Someday maybe we’ll get a d’ktahg that we can wield and then we’ll have the full suite.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    The new one that recruits get after the first kill gains the damage upgrades as you kill enemies. I've only gotten the first couple of upgrades so far so I don't know how strong it becomes over time.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    If you're wanting klingon theme, any bat'leth or mek'leth.

However, for endgame, if you really want to focus on melee with your character, there's really no choice other than Burnham's CQC gear from discovery legends reputation. The melee "weapon" in that set is basically hand to hand combat, but it multiplies your combo finisher damage by 600-700%, making it way more effective than any other melee option.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    For anything but Borg - Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths.

When fighting Borg I just swap to the Event Bat'leth.. it's not half bad. Arguably though, the superior weapon against them would be something like Furiadon Fangs.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    Thanks. That was very helpful!
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    Where can you buy event Bat'leths?
    The Bat'leth of Sto'vo'kor is a Klingon Recruit reward. You have to earn it first by playing a Klingon Recruit, then get a certain amount of melee kills to unlock for the whole account.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    It depends. Bat'leths are THE Klingon weapon, but they do have drawbacks when used in battle in both real life and the game, which the game clunkily emulates some of those limitations. (in real life they would be brilliant defensive weapons, two equally skilled fighters and a conventional sword would likely never land a hit and eventually get caught off-guard by the other end of the double blades, but offensively being restricted to open ground, limited thrusts and sweeping blows isn't good - sweeping strikes are easily avoided both in real life and the game, and rooting you to the spot is a clunky way of representing the management of momentum and weight transfer to ensure the power of the impact) as well as the basic type, four are mission rewards, one is a reputation item, one is C-Store, three are Winter Event, two being general, and the third for use against snowmen. The last, and arguably the best of all, is the one you Klingon Recruit gets.

You also have the mek'leth, which in usage is much more comparable to a conventional sword, although it is a cut-down one-handed version of the bat'leth. The good news is that of the three in the game two are mission rewards and the third is in the Winter Event store. (which can be accessed at any time, unlike the event itself)

The D'ktahg at the moment is limited to an emote and a wearable accessory to your uniform.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    I'm still undecided.

The Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths are really fast.

The Bat'leth of Sto'vo'kor works great and though slower it heals the wielder.

Nausicaan Tegolar swords are super stylish and display at the hip.

Tsunkatse Falchions give that Sumari look being carried on the back.

It's really a matter of personal preference. There's so many options.

B'Ellera, K'Gan, Ch'gren, and Thraak seem to prefer Bat'leths.

HMFNULe.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    How do you get your boffs to use melee weapons mine just stand around doing nothing when I give them a melee weapon.

Yeah Bat'leths are really bad IRL, if you're trained enough you can somewhat use them but you'd still at disadvantage against pretty much everyone as they would have superior reach to yours. That's the reason I suspect Bat'leths started as a weapon meant for honor duels or to show off the skill of a warrior in ancient Klingon society but not meant as an effective battlefield weapon.

Why modern Klingons would use in the battlefield is the same reason why knights are depicted using their arming swords or samurai are depicted using their swords (tachi or katana depending on the era) as their primary weapons, while in truth it was lances on horse back and maces or polearms on foot for knights and spears or bows for samurai (some used guns as well, but IIRC that was more of an Ashigaru thing due to mass of fire you needed with early firearms)
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

However, for endgame, if you really want to focus on melee with your character, there's really no choice other than Burnham's CQC gear from discovery legends reputation. The melee "weapon" in that set is basically hand to hand combat, but it multiplies your combo finisher damage by 600-700%, making it way more effective than any other melee option.

I'm curious as I'm considering using this DSC-Klingon as a melee only would having that DSC Rep weapon in the 2nd slot still offer bonuses if I got the DSC-Rep ground set then keep using my dual Mek'leths as an example, if you know? Pre-thanks.

I'm curious as I'm considering using this DSC-Klingon as a melee only would having that DSC Rep weapon in the 2nd slot still offer bonuses if I got the DSC-Rep ground set then keep using my dual Mek'leths as an example, if you know? Pre-thanks.

IIRC those bonuses are "on hit" effects for the rep "weapon", so just having it own would not be enough. The same way that your other weapons don't get a plasma fire DoT just by you having a Plasma weapon equipped but rather you have to actually hit them with the plasma weapon to get that effect.
    protoneous wrote: »
    I'm still undecided.

The Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths are really fast.

The Bat'leth of Sto'vo'kor works great and though slower it heals the wielder.

Nausicaan Tegolar swords are super stylish and display at the hip.

Tsunkatse Falchions give that Sumari look being carried on the back.

It's really a matter of personal preference. There's so many options.

B'Ellera, K'Gan, Ch'gren, and Thraak seem to prefer Bat'leths.

HMFNULe.jpg

Don't forget about Furiadon Fangs, they're pretty good too. They're my prefered vs. Borg because they're faster then the Bat'leth and don't root you. I use Fangs on Borg, Mek'leth's on everything else, and my Bridge Officers are using Bat'leth's. I like the setup so far. :smile:
    spiritborn wrote: »

IIRC those bonuses are "on hit" effects for the rep "weapon", so just having it own would not be enough. The same way that your other weapons don't get a plasma fire DoT just by you having a Plasma weapon equipped but rather you have to actually hit them with the plasma weapon to get that effect.

I meant the set bonus powers for having the: mind-meld thingy, ground shield & armor. Would their set bonus still be active if I kept the mind-melder weapon in the 2nd slot but was using the mek'leths, as an example?
    If they work like the MACO set having the rifle on your secondary and giving you the instant remodulator for the 3 piece bonus... I would assume so. Any bonuses that require the weapon to actually be used would not work, but any bonuses that add clicky powers or non weapon specific bonuses should.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User

I can only approve of the DSC reputation "weapon". It is insanely powerful and its third ability roots enemies, removing the one issue of melee combat: foes backing away from you in the middle of a combo.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1

I meant the set bonus powers for having the: mind-meld thingy, ground shield & armor. Would their set bonus still be active if I kept the mind-melder weapon in the 2nd slot but was using the mek'leths, as an example?

Yes, you would still get the set bonus while using the Mek’leths.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If they work like the MACO set having the rifle on your secondary and giving you the instant remodulator for the 3 piece bonus... I would assume so. Any bonuses that require the weapon to actually be used would not work, but any bonuses that add clicky powers or non weapon specific bonuses should.

Yes, you would still get the set bonus while using the Mek’leths.

Thanks you two, that what I was thinking & was hoping for, but nowadays I'm never sure. Now to save-up & earn the pieces.
    Nice know it does work with other melee weapons, I like my secondary to a ranged weapon to deal with those mobs that move (mostly fly) outside of melee range, so the character I use the CQC device on has a Colony split beam phaser as her secondary.
    Nice know it does work with other melee weapons, I like my secondary to a ranged weapon to deal with those mobs that move (mostly fly) outside of melee range, so the character I use the CQC device on has a Colony split beam phaser as her secondary.

I usually do the same, but my go-to energy weapon has been that multi-energy pistol from a past event, sorry I forgot the name, but I want to try* an all melee-build, maybe even the BOFF team, & I've been so impressed with those mek'leths I just hope they upgrade well.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    the best is whatever you find most effective
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    There is always that dual disruptor pistol with energy bayonets thing you get from the first mission in the current event window (the one that is followed by the mission you get the energy mek'lelths from). It has the usual setup of the first two buttons being ranged while the third is melee that triggers almost as fast as the mek'leths but does not have melee combos.

There is also the naginata-like energy polearm with the sniper-disruptor-rifle in the haft you get in the mission after that one, both have that hybrid ranged/enhanced melee setup.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > For anything but Borg - Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths.

Thank you for that one mate. For real. I spend some time in the mission Home to turn hundreds of lil Hur‘q into Zurich ragout. Worked out without much pain with those thingies and the 2,5k kill task was done much faster than I expected. :)

Im so glad. First thing I did afterwards was to give the recruit a budget version of the @peterconnorfirst standard setup for tacs... no melee weapon to be found anymore. Somehow it’s not my thing in this game and I can now tend to the remaining missions, not to mention PvE, the way I feel like. If I ever change my mind I’ll do so fed side with a tac as I have the respective security doffs there.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > For anything but Borg - Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths.

Thank you for that one mate. For real. I spend some time in the mission Home to turn hundreds of lil Hur‘q into Zurich ragout. Worked out without much pain with those thingies and the 2,5k kill task was done much faster than I expected. :)

Im so glad. First thing I did afterwards was to give the recruit a budget version of the @peterconnorfirst standard setup for tacs... no melee weapon to be found anymore. Somehow it’s not my thing in this game and I can now tend to the remaining missions, not to mention PvE, the way I feel like. If I ever change my mind I’ll do so fed side with a tac as I have the respective security doffs there.

Had not really considered that mission with the dual nanopulse mek'leth.
    Gotta do the mission first on my disco KDF, but then the last 1.5K should be easy.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    > @questerius said:
    > Had not really considered that mission with the dual nanopulse mek'leth.
    > Gotta do the mission first on my disco KDF, but then the last 1.5K should be easy.

Yea works fine. One can just leave and continue (restart) the ground section of that mission as one pleases. Some of the larger hur‘q produce numerous of the little ones for as long as they are alive. If one goes for that one can maximize each run.

Would have taken me days or weeks if I had played the regular way with that recruitment weapon we got. :(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated

Nice, glad it worked out for you! :smile:

I was going to do that, blow through them.. but surprisingly, I am having fun playing my recruit with Melee. It's obviously not as powerful as using ranged, but it can be pretty fun. Instead of running something like Home and just grinding it out, I have actually been just playing the story missions and using the melee weapons and it's been fun so far.

I'll probably switch her to Ranged once I start doing TFO's with her though, some of those missions would kinda suck with melee weapons. :disappointed:
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Bat'leth of Sto'vo'kor is a Klingon Recruit reward. You have to earn it first by playing a Klingon Recruit, then get a certain amount of melee kills to unlock for the whole account.

Plus, unlike many melee weapons this one has a built in charge so you can get to your target faster than normal running. Once I saw I needed 2500 kills I dumped the Cardassian I had started (I like the racial trait Recalled Tactics) and made a Ferasan so I could get Pounce to go along with Lunge and be flying all over the place! :D And then spent some of my stipend to get a Ferasan Boff to join me in the melee frenzy. >:)
This discussion has been closed.