test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cross-Faction Vanity Shields

This Cross-Faction item has got me thinkin' 'bout a Klingon Vanity Shield for Federation starships. That would be something to see. Is it possible to develop one, however; and if so, how?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    The Aegis shield adds red highlights if your faction (not ship) is KDF, blue if your faction is fed.

What you probably want though is KDF hull materials and color palette for fed ships not just a vanity shield.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    While it is possible, don't forget that they would have to make a skin for every ship in game. From the Type 8 shuttle all the way up. And that's just for Fed. We'd have to consider that it would have to work with ALL ships, just like any vanity shield.

Doable, but it would also have to be different enough from existing skins to work with all ships. You know someone would try to put a Klingon shield on a Klingon ship, or a Fed shield on a Fed ship, just to see what happens.
    Could they make them bound to specific ships? Maybe, but as far as I know other than Singularity cores there isn't anything in game that are locked to a faction ship type.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • The Aegis shield adds red highlights if your faction (not ship) is KDF, blue if your faction is fed.

What you probably want though is KDF hull materials and color palette for fed ships not just a vanity shield.

So where would I get those materials and palettes?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    The Aegis shield adds red highlights if your faction (not ship) is KDF, blue if your faction is fed.

So where would I get those materials and palettes?

You can't yet, Cryptic would need to add them to the game. I'm saying that is probably what you want to ask them for, skins / hull materials instead of shields.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    So, would a KDF character have the red version of the Aegis to put on a Fed ship? Will have to experiment tomorrow...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    This Cross-Faction item has got me thinkin' 'bout a Klingon Vanity Shield for Federation starships. That would be something to see. Is it possible to develop one, however; and if so, how?

For what's available to Feds now, look into the Delta Alliance Vanity shield ( https://sto.gamepedia.com/Delta_Alliance_Vanity_Shield ), which makes a ship really green. You'll need to get the Delta Alliance Reputation to Tier 6, then you can buy that shield for 300 Delta Marks.

For something a bit closer to what i think you're looking for: When used on a KDF character, the Kelvin Divergence Vanity shield (drop from Altamid Plasma Weapons pack, which itself drops from a lockbox) gives a pretty good Klingon ship look. To the point that before the Negh'var was last redone looks wise, I was using it to update the looks of Negh'var to be more modern looking. That shield is basically the palette of the Kelvin D7 stripped off, so the nacelle glowing parts were the wrong color. Unfortunately, the Kelvin Vanity shield on a Fed char is basically the palette of the Kelvin proper (destroyer) stripped off, so it makes ships look fairly Federation instead. I think that vanity crossed over would be pretty close to what you're wanting, even more so if they change the nacelle glows, and that'd be fairly easy given that dev magic can let Kael use all the faction vanity looks on any ship.

Old picture from a dev blog showing a still faction-walled U.S.S. Franklin in various vanity shields, including Kelvin Divergence (KDF) [6th row, 4th column]:
    https://pwimages-a.akamaihd.net/arc/29/76/29768c1a9cc18a0cc4851f0054c649461570468772.png

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Something like this?
    E4dAYEP.png

Came out better than I would've thought. This is the KDF version of Kelvin Divergence Vanity shield I mentioned earlier on the Sutherland (T6 Nebula). Can't do this on a Fed right now, as that same item gives a white hull Fed side.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I want the atrox's dark blue visual as a vanity shield.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    ^This and their windows and escape pods textures.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »

+1 for this, and I'd also like a vanity shield using the JJPrise material (with blue bussards included), I really don't understand why they used the USS Kelvin for that vanity shield, the Kelvin is only on screen for like ten minutes while the JJPrise is the hero ship for three movies.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.