test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need a better grouping ability for overpowered idea.

varoidvaroid Member Posts: 71 Arc User
So I've recently started messing around with the trait "Overwhelming force" which creates photonic shockwaves when you hit a target with a high yield torp, I also recently got a ship capable of using concentrate firepower III, which gives your torps high yield and resets their cooldowns. Also, if you use an AOE torp with it, it creates a LOT of shockwaves vs groups, so here's what I was thinking: Group them up, hold them in place, and then spam high yield hyper plasma torps at them to hit them with like 100 photonic shockwaves for collosal damage. The problem is that with this ability (And others like delayed overload cascade), even though it has the potential to do large damage, it's not worth it because it knocks them across the map and ungroups them. With this technique, even with grav well III and grav torp spread III to hold them in place, it knocks them like 17 KM away with neutronic torp, and pretty far away with hyper plasma torps. Also, higher control expertise for my grav well wouldn't help because it'd also affect the photonic shockwave's repel.

Basically, I need a CRAZY good way to hold stuff in place. Preferably a way to put stuff in their way so they physically can't escape the area no matter how hard I blast them out of it, that way I can keep them stuck there getting bombarded by this endlessly. Also, I don't use super duper expensive stuff like 900 million EC ship traits and stuff. lol
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    Doffed Tractor beam repuslors? (Graga Mal (Fed) and Falla Okev (Kdf) turn TBR into a pulling in thing with mild damage)

Stack various stuff listed here? https://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Control_Expertise

Push the damage high enough that it one shots them so that you don't have to regroup them?
  • varoidvaroid Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Doffed Tractor beam repuslors? (Graga Mal (Fed) and Falla Okev (Kdf) turn TBR into a pulling in thing with mild damage)

Stack various stuff listed here? https://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Control_Expertise

Push the damage high enough that it one shots them so that you don't have to regroup them?

Didn't find anything in control expertise page that seemed like it'd be enough earlier, and the tractor beam repulsors thing I doubt would be enough, the amount of repel with this setup is ENORMOUS, and the longer they're together the more repel they get hit by because you hit them with even more torps. As for the push the damage high thing, it doesn't do THAT much damage since I can't keep them together long enough for it to.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    A Megawell Build might help too, but you'd have to push a sci ship up to 400 ControlX. Easier with a sci that has the Temporal mechanic.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    The trait Delphic Shockwave from the Sphere Builder Denuos replaces the push from photonic shockwave with a radiation hazard. Unfortunately, this does not affect the push from Overwhelming Force, I have tested this with the exact idea that you have.

I wish the photonic shockwave produced Overwhelming counted for Delphic Shockwave. I also wish the charged partical burst from Overwhelming counted toward the trait Charged Partical Reaction from the surveillance multi-mission sci ship.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    A Megawell Build might help too, but you'd have to push a sci ship up to 400 ControlX. Easier with a sci that has the Temporal mechanic.

Wouldn't the extra control also make the photonic shockwaves repel harder as well?
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    varoid wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

Wouldn't the extra control also make the photonic shockwaves repel harder as well?

I think rattler2 is going with the fact that Gravity Well's size also increases in addition to its pull with more ControlX, up to a capped amount, so that it'd be able to potentially grab back the ships, even if they were pushed further out. Also, there's a Temporal Ability that is basically a mini-Gravity Well that doesn't share a cooldown that could add just a bit of pull when fired into a Gravity Well. I'm not sure if there's an equilibrium point for sure where you can pull back all you knocked out, however. I usually go for Spore-Infused Anomalies (Somerville or Batlh ship traits) for nuking stuff in a Gravity Well, personally. Spore-Infused Anomalies looks a bit like photonic shockwave as a random bonus if you like the look.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    Basically, I need a CRAZY good way to hold stuff in place. Preferably a way to put stuff in their way so they physically can't escape the area no matter how hard I blast them out of it, that way I can keep them stuck there getting bombarded by this endlessly. Also, I don't use super duper expensive stuff like 900 million EC ship traits and stuff. lol
    If this works out as good as a ground build I may have seen used on a certain map it seems the bad guys will be in big trouble again, only this time in space. All I could do was type 'Wow!' into team chat lol. Crazy :+1:
    edited February 2021
    protoneous wrote: »
    If this works out as good as a ground build I may have seen used on a certain map it seems the bad guys will be in big trouble again, only this time in space. All I could do was type 'Wow!' into team chat lol. Crazy :+1:

Unfortunently I don't think anyone can think of a way to come up with the kind of hold in place I'm looking for, I tried this with neutronic torp and I literally saw enemies 17 KM away if I recall. lol

I wonder if there's some other cheap trait I could use that'd do crazy well with AOE torps. lol
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    The only thing that might be 'sticky' enough would be to drop CtrlX and use the Fek'ihri S'torr console(it's really good at keeping things in close, but, there is a target limit and might make it difficult to continue firing torps/maintain forward firing arcs).

There 'might' be other consoles that could work; the Shran/M'chla console and T5 D'Deridex Singularity Projector come to mind, but I'm not sure if they'd have sufficient pull against that many shockwaves.

Best situation would probably require two people working together - a megawell ship and a bomber ship; the former with CtrlX, the latter without. Honestly though, you might just want to look into getting the Sona Battlecruiser trait instead. I run it on my radiation/torpedo bomber and it is disgusting when you have 4~ rifts stacked on top of each other.
This discussion has been closed.