test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A look at yearly ship releases

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
So @coldnapalm and I had a discussion about ship releases on a yearly basis, of all types, but especially when it comes to lockbox ships.

Having nothing better to do for a few hours I went through every ship on the wiki, and placed out what year it released, and what type of release it was. That being said, there are about 72 ships/shuttles that I couldn't place, all of which are the super old launch era. 2010-2011 ships, and theres like no documentation left on if they were at launch itself, or in those first two years, but everything from like 2012 onward was easy to find
Zen store = 7

Zen store = 3
Mission based = 2

Zen store = 17
Fleet = 2
Event = 3
Lockbox = 13
Lobi = 7
DOFF Pack = 1
Vet = 2
Fleet Starbase = 35

Zen store = 21
Fleet = 13
Event = 6
Lockbox = 9
Lobi = 7
Mission Reward = 1
DOFF Pack = 1
Vet = 3
Shuttle = 2
Leveling = 12
Hero of the North = 1

Zen store = 20
Event = 5
Fleet = 2
Lockbox = 14
R&D = 1
Lobi = 4
DOFF Pack = 1

Zen store = 33
Fleet = 28
Event = 3
Lockbox = 8
R&D = 4
Lobi = 5
Vet = 6
Pop Culture Hero = 2

Zen store = 26
Fleet = 10
Event = 3
Lockbox = 11
R&D = 3
Lobi = 5
Wizkids = 1
AoY Tut = 2

Zen store = 27
Fleet = 9
Event = 3
Lockbox = 10
R&D = 6
Lobi = 7
Email = 1
Colony World = 1
TNG 30th Event = 1

Zen store = 22
Fleet = 5
Event = 3
Lockbox = 8
R&D = 2
Lobi = 6
Dom Tut = 2
DSC Tut = 2

Zen store = 14
Fleet = 14
Event = 5
Lockbox = 7
R&D = 5
Lobi = 2
Vet = 2

Zen store = 20
Fleet = 7
Event = 5
Lockbox = 6
R&D = 3
Lobi = 1

Zen store = 4
Event = 2
Lockbox = 1
As to the specific discussion between myself and @coldnapalm the years with the most lockbox ships were.
  • 2014 - 14
  • 2012 - 13
  • 2016 - 11
  • 2017 - 10
  • 2013 - 9
  • 2015 - 8
  • 2018 - 8
  • 2019 - 7
  • 2020 - 6
  • 2021 - 1
Including R&D promo ships the list is
  • 2017 - 16
  • 2014 - 15
  • 2016 - 14
  • 2012 - 13
  • 2015 - 12
  • 2019 - 12
  • 2018 - 10
  • 2013 - 9
  • 2020 - 9
  • 2021 - 1
2018, 2019, and 2020, have been some lowest in regards to lockbox or R&D pack ship releases.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Comment rescinded...

I was wrong
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    but some of those 2020 releases were uber bundles legendries. For several hundred dollars, during a global pandemic.
    And...

Therefore you should be listing them separately to the normal C-Store releases. I would also be inclined to divide the Legendary ships between C-Store plus and lockbox/lobi/promo minus, because it makes a substantial difference in the desirability and obtainability of the ship.

So, the data for 2020/2021 now reads as:

Zen store (normal) = 7
    Zen store (Legendary) = 13 (of which 7 - Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid, Sovereign, Odyssey and Galaxy-X - were C-Store Plus)
    Fleet = 7
    Event = 5
    Lockbox = 6
    R&D = 3
    Lobi = 1

Zen store (Legendary) = 4 (of which all 4 are C-Store Plus)
    Event = 2
    Lockbox = 1

edited February 2021
    Yeah I see you recombined them in the second “spoiler.”

Sorry. I was wrong again. Som, you were right!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    No idea what I am supposed to make of this statistic.

As a player whose main objective is performance-oriented character progression I only care about the origins of the most desirable attributes as in naked ship stats, traits, consoles and special items like experimental weapons. As if there ever has been a misunderstanding as to where the best toys originate from in STO.

Yep, we have the Mudd store now. How awesome! Account wide releases at the expense of a miniscule slection, fear of missing out sale model and insane prices.

Also yep, legendary ships! Same rip off for you me and the dude who waits moths to finaly get his poo poo craft and 9 more ships he does not want.

But hey… its all in the zen store now and not at all about lock boxes anymore. Thank you Cryptic! :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited February 2021
    Why? If a packed item is available individually it shouldn’t be counted twice?

But the legendary 10-pack is in no way a regular c-store ship, right?

I have a feeling though if you added just C-store, event, and non c-store (lobi, promo, r&d packs, etc) you may get more consistent numbers...

Or, at least, that the way this is divided may obscure the issue. But I was very casual through the game’s history—so I don’t even know what some of these catagories are. I should probably butt out of this thread.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Therefore you should be listing them separately to the normal C-Store releases. I would also be inclined to divide the Legendary ships between C-Store plus and lockbox/lobi/promo minus, because it makes a substantial difference in the desirability and obtainability of the ship.
    By this logic you should be listing out individual ships, 3 pack, and 9 packs, from each other as well. As well as lower tier ships like shuttles and T5s from T6s.

And when it comes into lockbox ships you could break it down by main prizes, and the consultation prize ships as well.

And when it comes into fleet ships you can break down between actual fleet ships, and refits/retrofits, from the other fleet ships.

And so on and so on. You can break everything down into uselessness.

And back to your breakdown, most of the legendary ships you listed were part of the same legendary pack as the ships you didn't list. So now your breaking up ships within the same pack into arbitrary designations as well.

All of those are valid subcategories by which ships can be subdivided, and should be, because it all contributes to being able to do more rigorous analysis; far from being useless, it enables far better understanding of the data. Certainly Pre-Delta Rising C-Store releases should be divided between T1-4 and T5, and post DR should be divided into T1-5 and T6 C-Store releases, and while it doesn't matter now, they all should be divided on the basis of faction too as it is historically significant data.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    if you are really counting origins, the Delta Flier was originally something you crafted back when you had to go to Memory alpha and craft
    Spock.jpg

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Weren't some of those older lockbox ships the "common" ones, like the boxed Mirror versions of ships? So, even though there were "more" lockbox ships in the early years, they weren't all super-expensive rare ones?

Or am I misremembering where those cheap boxed ships came from... /hmm
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    but some of those 2020 releases were uber bundles legendries. For several hundred dollars, during a global pandemic.

The ten ship bundle was released in very early 2020, which means it was planned well before the virus even existed. The Romulan boost bundle was also likely planned before the virus started going around, the only legendaries that MIGHT have been decided after the pandemic started are the Galaxy-X and the walker. Trying to shame them for things that were decided well in advance is ridiculous, and pandemic or not they still need to make money to keep the servers running.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    The trend of releasing more gamble ships that direct-purchase ships worries me & all of the usual fluff additions that go along with it.

Then one can go-through the nuances of if a ship is sold separately or part of a bundle requirement.

An excellent discussion to be had by @coldnapalm & somtaawkhar & also appreciate the effort by somtaawkhar in compiling this work data.

Hopefully it will help some of us navigate deciding what to purchase or not, or gamble for.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    The 2020 number surprised me a bit, until I realized a majority of those were Legendary ships(and only 3 of those are permanently available). The only 'normal' ships of that year that I really remember were the carriers and the Titan. Guessing the other two were a crossfaction bundle?

Interesting that the overall numbers have stayed fairly consistent, despite the general availability going down. I imagine we'll see a slight drop this year though(as I presume most of the 2020 legendary bundle work was done before the pandemic).

I'm also curious what the reason for the drastic drop in lobi ships was/is. Is the only lobi ship we get this year going to be the T6 Hirogen Apex? (It might be nice to see them do a T6 Obelisk to finish off the T5 ships - ideally with Swarmer Squadrons.)
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Still some canon KDF ships that can be introduced.

22nd Century Raptor
    D5 Battlecruiser
    The Klingon augment raider from Enterprise
    Discovery Etlh class
    Discovery Daspu class

I'd love a proper D5.

22nd Century Raptor
    The Raptor Class from ENT is the Somraw Raptor in STO
    D5 Battlecruiser
    The D5 Class is already in-game as the Tong'Duj

Neither of those is T6 though.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    The T6 Somraw is the Qa'Tel.

Idk how accurate it is but according to this the Qa'Tel can't use the Somraw skin:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Qa'Tel_Flight_Deck_Raptor
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    The ten ship bundle was released in very early 2020, which means it was planned well before the virus even existed.

Not quite. We were hearing the initial reports of the pandemic's start in China as early as the previous December. The 10th anniversary legendary pack was released in February. The pandemic exploded here in the States not long after.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    joshmaul wrote: »
    The ten ship bundle was released in very early 2020, which means it was planned well before the virus even existed.

Not quite. We were hearing the initial reports of the pandemic's start in China as early as the previous December. The 10th anniversary legendary pack was released in February. The pandemic exploded here in the States not long after.

Do you realize how far in advance these things are planned? The 10th anniversary bundle was likely completely finished by December 2019, the Legendary T'liss was probably being worked on, and the Galaxy X was at least in the planning phase.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Idk how accurate it is but according to this the Qa'Tel can't use the Somraw skin:

Yes, and the T6 Gorn science vessels, the T6 Nausicaan destroyer, and the T6 Orion carrier, can't use the skins of their lower level versions. Hell, the lower tier versions of those ships can't use the other lower tier versions of the skins themselves.

Still doesn't change that they have T6 versions.

Which is an issue I think should be fixed, preferably though Ships of the Line bundles. For many people the look of a ship is the most important aspect and a T6 Raptor that can't use the Somraw parts is not a T6 Somraw. The Birds of Prey have the same problem, I've always found it very disappointing that the beautiful, X-Wing-esque Ning'tao parts can't be used on the Kor.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

Yes, and the T6 Gorn science vessels, the T6 Nausicaan destroyer, and the T6 Orion carrier, can't use the skins of their lower level versions. Hell, the lower tier versions of those ships can't use the other lower tier versions of the skins themselves.

Which is an issue I think should be fixed, preferably though Ships of the Line bundles. For many people the look of a ship is the most important aspect and a T6 Raptor that can't use the Somraw parts is not a T6 Somraw. The Birds of Prey have the same problem, I've always found it very disappointing that the beautiful, X-Wing-esque Ning'tao parts can't be used on the Kor.

I love the Ning'Tao.. waiting for ages for a T6 version...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    The T6 Somraw is the Qa'Tel.

And no pure freighter ship is T6, they aren't designed to be intentionally.

Then the D5 isn't ingame now is it?

A freighter based n the D5 is ingame but not a D5 Battlecruiser.

I love the "bug" Bird of Prey ships in the mid tiers but none of those parts can be used on the Kor or fleet B'rel.
This discussion has been closed.