test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what counts? (melee kills)

2»

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    So what is it? Do they count or not?
    It's the Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths from the mission Khitomer Discord that is one popular choice. The attack damage type is different than the Nanopulse Bat'leth which is plasma not physical. Or use any bladed weapon you feel comfortable with... they're all unique. I got a Nausicaan Tegolar Sword from the mission Coliseum and used it for a while. Very stylish.

For what it's worth I think the goals (both melee and ambush) work out pretty well for whatever short-mid-long term outlook various players have, including those playing a mixture of missions and TFO's.

Some TFO maps are great for melee kills (Assualt on Terok Noir, Miner Instabilities) while other aren't as good (Bug Hunt). Although I've seen a number of people melee alarm bugs half way up a wall as they're just low enough to be reached with lunge. Yay!

The setup posted on pages 2 and 3 of this thread works well for me. Adjust to taste.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I recently switched from the Event Bat'leth to the Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths, they do make things a whole lot easier. They do really good damage and your character runs up to his/her target so it helps a lot with mobility.

Plus.. they look pretty cool.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I would think that the Shattering Harmonics (Jedi) set would work well. High Dodge Chance, plenty of Physical Damage buffs, attacks debuff the enemy, and the sword blocks in-coming ranged energy attacks while swinging or attacking. Plus the fun Force Sense clicky.
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    Since one requirement is also to complete all episodes, my plan is to melee and ambush everything and see where I end up by the end.

At my current rate of episode play, I'll know in a few months how far I get on those kill counts. Then the RTFO parts. And only then I'll worry about grinding the rest of the kills out if I really need to. But at the current rate, I'll clear the kills before I finish the other requirements. So I'm not worried yet about a grind.

Just doing the normal play through, but only using melee weapons, and I'm two missions into the New Romulus arc and managed the 1k task for melee and 500 for ambush. Not worried about the grind yet either.
  • spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    I have been finding that melee attacks are kind of buggy, either the animation is or or it is as a whole because I see my toon sometimes stop his attack to switch to a different one in mid strike.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    spy8446 wrote: »
    I have been finding that melee attacks are kind of buggy, either the animation is or or it is as a whole because I see my toon sometimes stop his attack to switch to a different one in mid strike.

My problem is that the attack animations lock my character in place and the target just easily backs away (takes no damage) while shooting me. I wait for the animation to stop, move in close and start to attack, aaannnnnndddd the target just backs away (taking no damage) shooting me the whole time..... Rinse and repeat. The only time I actually do damage is when I can back them into a corner where they can't move anymore.

Apparently the nanopulse Meks avoid this?
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    It occurred to me that if PVP kills count that might be an avenue worth exploring, can't remember if there's a king of the hill mode for ground but as long as you had a sacrificial opponent (a second account for example) who could always respawn and run to a point then the kill tally would be shown.

Original thought was from mulling over ambush kills and keeping track of how many, although that seems to be hit or miss about what actually triggers the tally to go up.
    I went to Deferi and went from 500 to 1k, no idea how long I was there waiting and killing but I got tired of grinding it, no idea how much I have left.

We really need to have a counter, even the accolades mostly have counters.
    lnblade wrote: »
    If you're running a tactical captain, the Lunge and Sweeping Strikes kit modules also count toward recruit melee kills. I've been using them for the bulk of the melee kills on my recruit.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Have been using lunge and added sweeping strikes into the mix. Great fit.

My recruit 'Lieutenant Gagh' (rank 4) achieved 10 melee credits to unlock the Bat'leth and it's first improvement before even beaming into space in the early mission "The Hunt is On". 50 after the prison riot for the second improvement.

Boffs are toggled to passive and Thraak and Ch'gren's support is coming in handy. Good job fellas.

This reminds me of the earlier game when characters of all disciplines supported each other using relatively vanilla abilities.

Back to basics.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Patch notes today say "dramatically increased Lunge distance for Batleth of Sto'vo'kor." I'm intrigued. I haven't had issued with the current 5m distance, it's been very fun using that incredibly potent sword, but added distance? I can't wait 😀
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
    Question, what are good ways for non tac toons to capitalize in melee combat, my toons are all eng, didnt like the Tac or Sci play style, stuck to what I was good at.
    spy8446 wrote: »
    Question, what are good ways for non tac toons to capitalize in melee combat, my toons are all eng, didnt like the Tac or Sci play style, stuck to what I was good at.

1. Run the mission 'Khitomer Discord.'
    2. Select the Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths as the reward.
    3. Equip them, turn on auto attack on #1
    4. When near a group of enemies hit Tab, watch him die, hit Tab, watch him die.. rinse.. repeat.

They're not dependent on profession, they are fast melee weapons that do really nice damage. When you select a target, you run up to them so most of the time all you have to do is tab between targets and let the auto attack just shred them.

I did this early, I have barely touched my recruit, she's only level 21 and I already have the 1k Melee Kill accolade.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Patch notes today say "dramatically increased Lunge distance for Batleth of Sto'vo'kor." I'm intrigued. I haven't had issued with the current 5m distance, it's been very fun using that incredibly potent sword, but added distance? I can't wait 😀

They pushed it to 12.5 meters. Seems to work way, way better now - though if you didn't have any problem with the original gap closer, that might not impact you too greatly.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.

1. Run the mission 'Khitomer Discord.'
    2. Select the Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths as the reward.
    3. Equip them, turn on auto attack on #1
    4. When near a group of enemies hit Tab, watch him die, hit Tab, watch him die.. rinse.. repeat.

They're not dependent on profession, they are fast melee weapons that do really nice damage. When you select a target, you run up to them so most of the time all you have to do is tab between targets and let the auto attack just shred them.

I did this early, I have barely touched my recruit, she's only level 21 and I already have the 1k Melee Kill accolade.
    You have got to be kidding. Run up to a group of bad guys, hit tab, maybe a couple other close by keys for attacks and stuff, and everything just gets shredded using a simple bladed weapon? Shirley it can't be that easy?
    They pushed it to 12.5 meters.
    They gave the Batleth of Sto'vo'kor about the same closing distance as a sword and some other melee weapons? That's crazy.

So there's a choice of a traditional heavy blade with the original animations that heals while doing damage and gives a bonus against low health enemies that can even stun and root or a mission reward with the more modern looking nanopulse animation that gives a bonus based on the speed of switching targets?

I hate it when they give us choices <3

dAbfTBY.jpg
    edited February 2021
    protoneous wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding. Run up to a group of bad guys, hit tab, maybe a couple other close by keys for attacks and stuff, and everything just gets shredded using a simple bladed weapon? Shirley it can't be that easy?

I kid you not. They do great damage and your character moves to engage them.. even if they back up, you run with them. You can either press 1 over and over or you can just right click it and then just tab target when your enemy is dead. No exaggeration, using these, I had 1k Melee kills by level 21.

They are free mission reward items from Khitomer Discord.. give them a try and you'll see. :wink:
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »

I kid you not. They do great damage and your character moves to engage them.. even if they back up, you run with them. You can either press 1 over and over or you can just right click it and then just tab target when your enemy is dead. No exaggeration, using these, I had 1k Melee kills by level 21.

They are free mission reward items from Khitomer Discord.. give them a try and you'll see. :wink:
    my only issue with the Nanopulse Mek'leths is how silly the animations look, it's like they took the regular Mek'leth animation then sped it up 1000% without adjusting it at all so it just looks silly and unnatural.

• iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    on a new toon you could track the first thousand kills by going to defara.. there are accolades for killing borg... but you have to make sure to ONLY use melee... I was at least 500 melee kills before i went there and using the sto'va'kor bat'leth i killed 694 borg... but i didn't get the 1000 kills reward, so i assume at least 200 of those died to sompek lightning, and thephoton grenades i'd use on the elites.....

edit: or you get credit for borg killed by the turrets you upgrade
    The Last One™ is asking himself why he wasn't using the Trajectory Bending kit module on both his ranged and melee configs. That CrtD and flanking damage seems to work great either way. Still exploring things as a recruit :)

6juhPti.jpg

Just a Klingon from 2255 doing randoms with a BoP and blade. Quapla' !
This discussion has been closed.