test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Phoenix Prize Pack Event Returns

foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11483713

We're launching a special event with the Phoenix Prize Pack! From February 4th at 8am PT (17:00 CET) until February 11th at 10am PT (19:00 CET), you'll be able to pick up a free Phoenix Prize Pack from Grym on Drozana Station or Onna on Deep Space Nine, once per day. These Prize Packs contain the prizes of the past, allowing you access to the weapons, items, and ships you may have missed over the years in Star Trek Online. You can see a full list of the prizes contained within, below!

The Phoenix Prize Pack is a special pack, purchased with Dilithium (or obtained for free, during this event). Opening it grants you a token of one of five rarities, and you can redeem that token for a list of prizes on that rarity tier.

But that's not all. During this limited time event, the Experimental Starship Upgrade tokens are returning to the Phoenix Prize Pack! You'll be able to claim them in the Ultra Rare tier, and power up one of your T5-U or T6 ships with a new Device Slot, a New Console, and a special Trait slot! These tokens will only be available in this pack during this event, so don't miss your chance.

If one wants a full list of items included click their link. It was nice they included all the goodies.

The 1 negative is from what I saw nothing new was added, perhaps Cryptic has abandoned updating this since Mudd's apparently sells so well.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Too bad the UR tokens are as rare as hen's teeth.

Still, a freebie is a freebie.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Too bad the UR tokens are as rare as hen's teeth.

Still, a freebie is a freebie.

I agree those URs are too much holding to their namesake lol & I've not seen an Epic so consider those a myth, but as you said the 4 or 5 free ones are good & appreciated. I just wish it would get updated a bit not even sure with what.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Another 5 green tokens to add to the ever growing pile in the bank.

Someones looked at the exchange and is worried the rate will impact the new legendary bungle sales, but without a proper carrot being dangled it won't have much impact. Muggs market has taken over as the greedonomic way to get event prizes back into the game and the t6u tokens were only ever going to be a very shortlived stop gap.

Taking the cosmetic shields out of the chance of a chance gambleboxes and adding them to phoenix each time a new one is introduced would only cause a minor bump but it would at least be something new and repeatable.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    Phoenix packs are nothing short of a scam. A few weeks ago i ran through 1200 and got one UR and no epic tokens. Putting that into zen with the current exchange rate, i could've bought 4 full price zstore ships, and instead wound up with nothing.

They need to add token upgrading to these packs. We can already downgrade 1 token into 2 of a lower tier, why not add the option to convert 5-10 of a lower tier token into the next tier up? That way bad luck can be mitigated by volume.
    Phoenix packs are nothing short of a scam. A few weeks ago i ran through 1200 and got one UR and no epic tokens. Putting that into zen with the current exchange rate, i could've bought 4 full price zstore ships, and instead wound up with nothing.

They need to add token upgrading to these packs. We can already downgrade 1 token into 2 of a lower tier, why not add the option to convert 5-10 of a lower tier token into the next tier up? That way bad luck can be mitigated by volume.

1200 Phoenix boxes & no Epic is not encouraging at all & as you stated especially with the current dilithium/zen exchange rates.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Phoenix packs are nothing short of a scam.

I don't find them to be a scam. But I only buy them for the lower-tier rewards (Unc/Rare/V.Rare) & upgrade kits. Which I get every time I pop a 10-pack.
  • ensignrandensignrand Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    The packs aren't really a scam, like kiralyn, I use them for upgrading stuff and the kits from the lower tier rewards. I'm more worried about the change in the exchange rate when you downgrade the prize packs.
    Remember, getting mad at me and taking it out on your keyboard.... just means you need a new keyboard ;)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Not a scam, unless you only want an Epic where the odds are somewhere between 1:500 - 1:1,000. Probably 1:1,000 so opening 1,000 still has a 33% chance of not getting any epic.

Red matter capacitor, epic admiralty ships, VR duty officers, consoles, tribbles, and the best upgrade tokens aside from grinding out Omegas.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Part of the problem with phoenix prize packs is that they have extremely limited usefulness (particularly for anything below UR), and they don't ever seem to get new things added to them to maintain their value.

Good point. The packs would be a little more of a dil sink if they added more things.

Another idea: consumables, like the overpriced Tholian drones, Romulan retinue in those reputations and some of the dil and lobi consumables that no one buys.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I'd honestly prefer if the Tholian Drones were repurposed into a Kit Module.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind a new kind of upgrades, too, that works similarly to the Omega Quality ones. Maybe at VR, instead of UC.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind a new kind of upgrades, too, that works similarly to the Omega Quality ones. Maybe at VR, instead of UC.

I always thought the Upgrade Accelerators would be a nice addition to the Phoenix Box, but I suppose if they did that it would make the R&D Packs even more worthless then they already are. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

I always thought the Upgrade Accelerators would be a nice addition to the Phoenix Box, but I suppose if they did that it would make the R&D Packs even more worthless then they already are. :lol:

Shoot, I hadn't thought about the Accelerators! But I guess you're right XD
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I just kinda want one ur...I don't even care about the epic one at all, but that is too much to ask I guess.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Since the Phoenix Packs first out, I've gotten exactly one Epic (during the first iteration), and one UR. Well over one thousand purchased.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

Shoot, I hadn't thought about the Accelerators! But I guess you're right XD

That could be a smart & beneficial addition to the Phoenix prize list.
    reyan01 wrote: »

1200 Phoenix boxes & no Epic is not encouraging at all & as you stated especially with the current dilithium/zen exchange rates.

The Epic tokens are liable to remain as rare as rocking horse poo, so they can justify using them as additional 'fluff' included in Bundles and Mudd's Store offerrings.

Very valid point since Cryptic's Mudd's is a more direct "micro"transaction process. Never heard of that "rocking horse poo" before lol.
This discussion has been closed.