test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 Connie and d7 in c store would be nice

Comments

• fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Hypothetical question, based on nothing but my own curiosity: if ships like these were sold in the C-store with the canon visuals, but not-as-good stats as a promo box version, would that interest folks? And, on the same note, if you bought those ships, would you no longer want the promo box versions with better stats?

The whales will always buy the promo ships.

The casuals who can't afford the promo ships will buy the Cstore versions.

You'll make money both ways.

Sadly...no. I am proof that they would lose money doing this unfortunately.

I've been playing over a year now and I have only bought from the Cstore. I'll never invest in keys/gold to get promo boxes.

However if they put a D7 in the Cstore at 3k i'll buy it in heartbeat

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Hypothetical question, based on nothing but my own curiosity: if ships like these were sold in the C-store with the canon visuals, but not-as-good stats as a promo box version, would that interest folks? And, on the same note, if you bought those ships, would you no longer want the promo box versions with better stats?

Yeah. I don't often buy ships based on their stats. However if they don't match my playstyle I may end up not playing them anyway. For example I bought an Excelsior, because I like it. I can't bring myself to play it much because of the seating. But I would like to use it. But overall, I am less interested in a connie based on the stats then because is a connie. That is why the new legendary pack is a hard sell for me too. I already have teir 5 and 6 versions of these ships. Better performance is nice--but not 250$ nice.

On the other hand someone else, will only buy ships based on the stats. I don't think people buy Tzenkethi ships for their silhouettes. And again, even if it is meta. I would not have much interest in playing one. I am a casual star trek fan--not a gamer.

• arisvakhbaarisvakhba Member Posts: 3 Arc User

I see these as two different things, really: I myself am a semi-diehard roleplayer and play mostly for looks - that's why I love the 2020 legendary bundle, but ONLY that one. My playstyle over time evolved into an archetype where I see a ship I want to fly and make a character for it. I'm proficient enough to roll through normal without dying and can activate Advanced if I like to have a challenge and that's where to put me DPS-wise. I have a science ship that manages 200k+, but it's the rare Sci-Mage stuff. To put that in perspective, I'm an avid /r/stobuilds reader, but as both a time-constrained senior researcher and a soon-to-be father I cannot in any way justify the investment to chase top DPS. Both financially as well as time-wise, though to be honest mostly time-wise. Add that to my profession as an insurance statistician/AI expert (weird stuff, I know, but it is a freaking legit chair at my university!), there is no way in rotten Gre'thor I'd ever get lockbox keys or R&D packs. (So that is a HARD blocker from getting the 2021 pack, btw.) So yeah, that's blocks me from i.e. getting a D7, which, for obvious reason, also I would love to have. Summing that up, I can see that there is a very specific buyer's segment that gets all the ships for "the deeps", but I'm not part of it. I am fine that the most powerful ships are not attainable and locked behind gabling, because such is life. (I do not agree with that business model, but I'm old enough to not whione about it and understand that you guys need to make money in order to fuel the game. It is quite the achievement to have an avid an active game after 11 years going, but I'm sure the new series and interest surely help with that.) Furthermore, I also understand that making the heros ships too powerful will prevent said peeps from buying the lockboxed powerhouses, so more power to you. I am more than happy to be flying a Sovereign or an Intrepid with 10% less DPS ceiling or so as long as there is no blunt slap-in-the-face-kind of powercreep attached. So, that's my buyer profile. To help you with an even deeper understanding of that, I bought lifetime in 2014 (have not regretted that) and spend around 50-60 bucks a year (although more in bulk rather than microtransactions) on the game, which is around what I would offer up for other game's compensation as well. I know that doesn't make me a whale, but I am still a paying customer and very likely to stay as long as there is content and a working server. Now, that being said, I'm a very happy spender on things that are a) not gambling as well as b) account-bound (despite my time constraints quoted above, after the Klingon recruitment I now have 30+ characters and counting!). Bundling stuff that I might want to get (i.e. the leg B'rel, although the stats are disappointing) with stuff I absolutely will not get (like promo boxes) means I cannot get the stuff I want and so I'm a sad Klingon.

Back to the D7: If it is like the Mirror Leg Pack, I might get it, if it is C-Store I will definitely get it and if it is a bloated pack like the Disc Leg I will have a really hard time justifying that. (If it were however bundled with other stuff that I do not want or that appear like hard blockers for me, I will not get it irrespective of whether its stats are good or not. Which brings me to my last point, the Leg 2021 pack: I think most people were looking at a price point of 3k per ship as the precedent from last year. That might have been a mistake back then, but now it really is the benchmark people are comparing to. I get that there are other items in the pack that justify the price, butit's simply the case that the bloated mixture is not worth it. I personally would pay even as much as 15k for all four ships, but then I'd have to be just the ships and no fluff/filler.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User

Interesting question. I like the sound of that. Being able to get the C-store version allows me to reclaim it any time, and is useful for RPG/space barbie requirements. Whereas the Promo ship is for the stats, requires a particular build, and does not need to be on everyone of my characters. Each option fills a niche.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > Sadly...no. I am proof that they would lose money doing this unfortunately.

While there are certainly a number of players that fit your profile, there are also players who would want the C-Store versions and would never buy a promo version. Any sales they make to these players would go towards offsetting losses from players like you. Not having the numbers for each of these groups means we can't quite conclude it would be a loss-making change.
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User

I'll respond to this as someone that would probably be considered a "whale" in that I've got most of the C-Store ships, a bunch of promo ships (acquired via promo boxes, not later methods), lockbox ships (same), and lobi ships, etc. I've also got an increased maximum ZEN purchase limit, which speaks to my willingness to spend money on the game....

That ship has sailed for some of us - you've already been offering promo and lockbox ships in the C-Store as account-wide unlocks which makes the character-only versions some of us paid a pretty penny to get carry pretty serious buyers remorse that carries over to our desire to buy into more of the same.

The idea of offering same-visuals ships with inferior stats is a poor one when you're talking about making these ships sub-T6 in the process... which is what you're doing since promo ships are still baseline T6 ships. People either only care about the visuals in which case they don't care about the stats in the first place (meaning nobody will want the promo version if they already have those visuals) or they care about the stats and you're trying to sell them a sub-par ship.

What would work (though again, the ship may have sailed on this, considering) is taking what you've been doing with "Legendary" versions of ships and make that a promo standard - a unique visual that isn't available on the C-Store version, an MR6 account-wide trait that is actually desirable, not just some random trash, and making them account-wide unlocks, and possibly a second console. The D7/Disco Connie unlock of "Advanced" phasers/disruptors was also brilliant before you walked it back and made them worthless.

Then make the same general ship available on the C-Store but without the extra stuff, and with only one hybrid seat instead of two, and only a single console. Still fully T6 (since plenty of ships lack two hybrid seats) and consistent with non-fleet C-Store and event ships.

It would also help if you guys would stop adding boring ships to the promo boxes - ships that are inferior to cheaper and easier to obtain ships. People willing to buy things want things worth buying, not just random trash that you have laying around. I can't imagine this hasn't been reflected in the promo-related purchasing when various ships have been added.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

From my point of view, I don't consider promo/lockbox ships as real ships to own. They effectively do not exist. They never factor into any build plans for any character or any purchasing decisions I make. They are random and rare and so are simply not worth considering, no matter how much it would be really nice to own any given one, and not the least of which because they would then be locked to only that character.

• nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User

Yes. I bought the temporal d7, though, on the exchange for far less keys / research packs than it would have taken me to open. I traded a few t6 ships from my infrequent key purchases on the exchange to get it. I also know I raised the prices on the exchange of a few items when grinding credits. I shouldn't have to play Ferengi Online if I want to play Klingon Online instead. That being said, that was before I realized that the Fleet K't'inga has a d7 skin.

The disco version came out soon after, which I have no interest in grinding for given how much time I spent the first time. With that said, I would pick it up if it was included in a bundle. I'd be fine if the Klingon bundle was just a reskin of the federation bundle.

DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    The idea of offering same-visuals ships with inferior stats is a poor one when you're talking about making these ships sub-T6 in the process... which is what you're doing since promo ships are still baseline T6 ships. People either only care about the visuals in which case they don't care about the stats in the first place (meaning nobody will want the promo version if they already have those visuals) or they care about the stats and you're trying to sell them a sub-par ship.

What would work (though again, the ship may have sailed on this, considering) is taking what you've been doing with "Legendary" versions of ships and make that a promo standard - a unique visual that isn't available on the C-Store version, an MR6 account-wide trait that is actually desirable, not just some random trash, and making them account-wide unlocks, and possibly a second console. The D7/Disco Connie unlock of "Advanced" phasers/disruptors was also brilliant before you walked it back and made them worthless.

Then make the same general ship available on the C-Store but without the extra stuff, and with only one hybrid seat instead of two, and only a single console. Still fully T6 (since plenty of ships lack two hybrid seats) and consistent with non-fleet C-Store and event ships.

It would also help if you guys would stop adding boring ships to the promo boxes - ships that are inferior to cheaper and easier to obtain ships. People willing to buy things want things worth buying, not just random trash that you have laying around. I can't imagine this hasn't been reflected in the promo-related purchasing when various ships have been added.

Honestly, as a casual player, I don't see a difference between promo ships and "fleet" level ships.
    There's no perceived value to me why they're better. Non-fleet to fleet level I can see the difference, an extra console slot is a huge visual distinction. I'm not a "numbers" person (my engineering degree notwithstanding :D ), so there's nothing that screams "promo ship X is better than c-store/fleet ship Y." Specializations, maybe? There's full-spec ships on the C-store, and I barely have any Boffs with specializations, so most of the time I don't fill those seats anyway.

Like, the Freedom class. It's not a bad looking ship, and I wouldn't mind flying it on one or more of my Fed chars. However at the current exorbitant price, for a per-char unlock no less, I'm perfectly ok doing without it.
    I have no idea what the Freedom class' specs are. I can look them up, sure, and if it were C-store, I probably would.

From my point of view, I don't consider promo/lockbox ships as real ships to own. They effectively do not exist. They never factor into any build plans for any character or any purchasing decisions I make. They are random and rare and so are simply not worth considering, no matter how much it would be really nice to own any given one, and not the least of which because they would then be locked to only that character.

^ this
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

Absolutely, yes. As for the promo box versions, it would depend on the stats and what I want to do with the ship.
    If the C-Store version is enough for me, then I wouldn't buy the promo box. If, on the other hand, the promo box is exactly what I'm looking for... then yeah.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User

Probably? I know people who spent their T5 coupon on a Ranger so they could get a T6 ship that kinda looks like a Connie. If you can wait, it'd be interesting to see how many people get a Connie when the "get a free lockbox/promo ship" event is over.
    However, once that's done, my guess is that a lot less people will be interested in a Zen store ship.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

I am not sure my opinion on this matter will be helpful, but here it is anyways. I am not a fan of the Connie or D7, so I will never be interested in them whether they are c-store or promo. However, when it comes to c-store versions of promo ships in general, I am all for it. Like others, I do not pick my ships because they have the top notch stats (I am a Rom so I don't have that option anyways). My decision to buy is ship is based on three criteria (in order)
    1. Does it fit my play style?
    2. Is it Romulan/Reman design?
    3. Is it affordable?
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited February 2021

Yes, and Yes for me. But, there's only one ship where this was an option; the Konnie.

By charging $250 for a single character unlock ship, such as a promo ship or lockbox ship when bought in gamble boxes, that basically means that it has either no interest to me, or "maybe one mythical day". That one mythical day has happened once; my Temporal Recruit getting a Konnie. First, the Heavy Command Cruiser (Kelvin). Then the Kelvin Constitution Legendary Intel Battlecruiser that replaced it.

Now, consider a hypothetical of a normal C-Store and Fleet version release Konnie with all the stats of the Arbiter/Fleet Arbiter respectively. (Kelvin Arbiter, KA)

The premise of the original question assumes that the KCILB (being a perfect example of the concept) does not yet exist, so the question is really the HCCK vs KA. And if those were the choices, the KA would be the choice, and I would not want the HCCK.

Would I subsequently upgrade to the KCILB however when it was offered? That is a tough question, because the KCILB does everything the KA does, but better with a few acceptable compromises. It would depend on the cost for the KCILB. As part of the 10th Anniversary Legendary Bundle? Definitely. At a 6000 Zen option like the Mirror Galaxy-X or the T'Liss Picard Refit? Yes. At Lockbox/promo box prices? No.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator

IMO as long as both the C-Store and Promo versions have something different to offer, then more options are good options. If the C-Store has something like unique customization parts, traits, and consoles, then it can hold value just as much as the Promo. Can't really do a direct 1:1 with the Promo, as that has to have something special to make it Promo.

Also... maybe a different BOff/Spec arrangement would help to keep them different enough that both would still be viable.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited February 2021

Some of us don't make enough money to freely buy promo boxes. What's the harm in putting an affordable T6 Constitution on the C-Store/Ship Requisitions for 3000 zen, for your player base that are on budgets and don't have the ability to spend thousands of dollars on this game?

To quote a lawyer from Minnesota: "It's not for you, it's for the fans!"
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

If it was a ship I really, really wanted, yes. Though that answer is dependent on what would make the C-Store version not-as-good.

I never go after promo/lockbox, though I do have a few, which were gifts from a very good friend. Promo/lockbox ships are way out of my reach unless I get lucky with free keys that you give out occasionally.

As a very casual player who doesn't care about keeping her captains 'canon', the ability to fly any ship I desire on whatever captain was a breath of fresh air for me.

As it is, I can already steamroll normal content in T5 and T5-U ships without having to give them the extra X-upgrade, so I'm not someone who *has* to have T6 ships to play.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    You realize I said FEW years right? You do realize that the period you gave in the first part is a part that few year...right? Way to cheery pick your data as well by instead of the 107 ships you use in the previous data set, you decided to use a period of time to support your idea. Now tell me how many ships were gamble boxes vs zen ships between LoR and DR...which is CLEARLY outside the few years range I gave.
    The time period covered between both data groups is over 4 years. From October 2016, all the way today, minus the 4 month gap for ViL.

The older data set is for the time period between AoY and ViL, and the newer one is from ViL onward. Expansion were left out due to the abnormal nature of them being larger content dumps, and skewing data when comparing the more seasonal releases. That isn't cherry picking, that's being consistent between both groups.

As for between LoR and DR the wiki's details are awful, but from what I can see on there
    • Zen = 12
    • Lockbox = 9
    • Event = 4
    • Lobi = 3
    • Other = 2
    So 30 ships total from Nov 2013-Oct 2014 30% of which were gamble box ships. So consistent with the time between AoY and ViL, and much higher then post ViL.

Conveniantly cherry picking facts again? I'm shocked.

In 2020 there where precisely FOUR Cstore ships, not including the legendary bundle (which was out of the price range of the majority of players).

One was a legendary Rom bundle and 3 where basicly the same ship.

Compare that to the promo/gamble box releases in 2020.....

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    You realize I said FEW years right? You do realize that the period you gave in the first part is a part that few year...right? Way to cheery pick your data as well by instead of the 107 ships you use in the previous data set, you decided to use a period of time to support your idea. Now tell me how many ships were gamble boxes vs zen ships between LoR and DR...which is CLEARLY outside the few years range I gave.
    The time period covered between both data groups is over 4 years. From October 2016, all the way today, minus the 4 month gap for ViL.

The older data set is for the time period between AoY and ViL, and the newer one is from ViL onward. Expansion were left out due to the abnormal nature of them being larger content dumps, and skewing data when comparing the more seasonal releases. That isn't cherry picking, that's being consistent between both groups.

As for between LoR and DR the wiki's details are awful, but from what I can see on there
    • Zen = 12
    • Lockbox = 9
    • Event = 4
    • Lobi = 3
    • Other = 2
    So 30 ships total from Nov 2013-Oct 2014 30% of which were gamble box ships. So consistent with the time between AoY and ViL, and much higher then post ViL.

Conveniantly cherry picking facts again? I'm shocked.

In 2020 there where precisely FOUR Cstore ships, not including the legendary bundle (which was out of the price range of the majority of players).

One was a legendary Rom bundle and 3 where basicly the same ship.

Compare that to the promo/gamble box releases in 2020.....

Off the top of my head there was the Romulan Legendary Warbird, the Legendary Galaxy-X, the Legendary Walker, the Luna, the Jem'Hadar Vanguard and Romulan Recon Destroyers, and the four support carriers.

That's 10 ships (6 if you don't count the cross-faction variants, but the models are what take the most time for them to make), and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm forgetting some. The 10th anniversary bundle also shouldn't be excluded, it's price may be high but that doesn't change the fact that 10 ships were included and building each one took time, which would have left less time for building other ships. A couple canon ships also got remodeled as part of the Ships of the Line releases.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Its been stated that it is by direct request of the IP holders that there is to be no C-Store Connie or D7. It has nothing to do with raking in the money. They KNOW they'd make a ton off a C-Store Connie and D7. However if the IP holder vetos it, then there is nothing Cryptic can do. The Overlords have spoken.

Cryptic does have to run things by CBS, and if they say no... then Cryptic has to abide by the decision of the IP holder.

But all 3 Connies are on the c-store (even if a legendary pack) and eventually we know we will be getting a legendary D7...so that theory is kinda out the window.

Once again it returns to money...
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    I personally would totally fly a T6 Zen Store D7. I am not nearly advanced enough to buy lockbox or lobi ships. And I like having the ship on all my toons.
This discussion has been closed.