test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunter's Instinct (Important Questions + Answers)

midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
I was wondering, since we have a minute (or so I read on Reddit) to kill our enemy upon de-cloak, I have two questions:

1 - Maximum range for kill to count?
2 - If I de-cloak and kill 3 vessels in that minute, do I get 3 registered "Hunter's Instinct" kills?

EDIT:
I can confirm, it is NOT 5 seconds. As long as you attack within 5 seconds, you have an entire minute for the kill. I got a kill with the Hunter's Instinct trait this way. Also, as far as I can tell, only the first kill counts during the decloaking.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I am not sure where you are getting the 1 min time. I believe that you have to kill them while your ambush bonus is activated from dropping your cloak.. that bonus is only 5 seconds. If I understand correctly (which I might not) you have to kill the target in 5 seconds or less. If you decloaked and killed multiple in that time, they should all count.

Information on this objective is sketchy at best.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    At least, I don't have to stay right up their tail lol, assuming you are correct. Which I hope you are!

@seaofsorrows
    To answer your question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/l5jmqv/cloaked_ambushes/

Quote taken from Reddit:

STO20thCenturyFaux
    Systems Designer
    1 day ago
    ·
    edited 1 day ago

"The intention is that if you damage something during the Ambush buff that occurs after cloaking, killing that thing within about a minute counts for progress. It may be that a minute isn't enough time or that it's bugged -- I'm seeing reports that people are having a hard time triggering it.

edit -- definitely bugged, investigation still in progress, this is a wily one"

edited January 2021
    Interesting, thank you for the link.

I am not sure why he's saying 1 min, the buff duration from cloak doesn't last nearly that long. It looks like they have a fix in place though, so that's nice. If I read that correctly, the 'stay within 1km' thing should be temporary as it's a work around you can use until it's permanently fixed.

I am not sure why he's saying 1 min, the buff duration from cloak doesn't last nearly that long. It looks like they have a fix in place though, so that's nice. If I read that correctly, the 'stay within 1km' thing should be temporary as it's a work around you can use until it's permanently fixed.

Realistically, I think a lot of people can't kill a target within 5 seconds unless they have other ships aiding them. It all depends on the build AND the target, and I assume most people don't have that type of build. I could be wrong.

Also, having to kill 2,500 targets like that... They have to make it easier. But hey, the devs can correct anything said here.

Realistically, I think a lot of people can't kill a target within 5 seconds unless they have other ships aiding them. It all depends on the build AND the target, and I assume most people don't have that type of build. I could be wrong.

Also, having to kill 2,500 targets like that... They have to make it easier. But hey, the devs can correct anything said here.

Yeah, it's not too hard at high level, but expecting people to get 5 second kills at level 7 is a bit much to ask. I would assume that's not what they intend. :smile:

Yeah, it's not too hard at high level, but expecting people to get 5 second kills at level 7 is a bit much to ask. I would assume that's not what they intend. :smile:

Exactly! I figure most people will be playing with lvl 1 ships just because lol. New Species and all, might as I well I guess XD
    I am not sure where you are getting the 1 min time. I believe that you have to kill them while your ambush bonus is activated from dropping your cloak.. that bonus is only 5 seconds. If I understand correctly (which I might not) you have to kill the target in 5 seconds or less. If you decloaked and killed multiple in that time, they should all count.

I can confirm, it is NOT 5 seconds. As long as you attack within 5 seconds, you have an entire minute for the kill. I got a kill with the Hunter's Instinct trait. Also, as far as I can tell, only the first kill counts during the decloaking.

I can confirm, it is NOT 5 seconds. As long as you attack within 5 seconds, you have an entire minute for the kill. I got a kill with the Hunter's Instinct trait. Also, as far as I can tell, only the first kill counts during the decloaking.

That's a good way for them to do it.. you have to initiate the attack while the ambush is in effect. It's good that they don't expect newly generated characters to get kills inside of 5 seconds.

Thanks for the information.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Hmm if it is indeed 1 minute you have to make the kill I think I might be able to swap to a beam build before I've gotten all the kills then as I'm currently using a cannon build for the burst.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I don't think it is that hard to kill thing in 5s for a newbie character. I did that repeatedly with beams and torps on my recruit, only using default equipment. It just means hitting the frigates, who often enough can be zeroed with just a HY1 at low levels.

Still if we really do have a full minute for this to work, that just makes life easy.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Also, as far as I can tell, only the first kill counts during the decloaking.

I certainly hope that's not the case, otherwise it'll take EVEN MORE forever to get 2500 kills.

I've been dropping in and out of cloak with Scatter Volley going, to tag everything I can.

(another case where having an actual counter on the Recruit task - i.e, "263/500" - would be damned useful.)
    I don't think it is that hard to kill thing in 5s for a newbie character. I did that repeatedly with beams and torps on my recruit, only using default equipment. It just means hitting the frigates, who often enough can be zeroed with just a HY1 at low levels.

Still if we really do have a full minute for this to work, that just makes life easy.

It's not hard for players like you and I.. no. We sir, are not the majority. :wink:
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    One of the KDF recruit rewards is an Engineering BOff that increases the ambush duration from 5 seconds to 10 seconds, so that could help out somewhat. She also has the veteran combat(?) space trait.
    kiralyn wrote: »

I certainly hope that's not the case, otherwise it'll take EVEN MORE forever to get 2500 kills.

I've been dropping in and out of cloak with Scatter Volley going, to tag everything I can.

(another case where having an actual counter on the Recruit task - i.e, "263/500" - would be damned useful.)

God... I know, right? I am between 500 and 1000 for the equivalent trait on the ground. I dunno if I am at 550 or 950. *sigh*
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

It's not hard for players like you and I.. no. We sir, are not the majority. :wink:

No, its not hard for anyone. At low levels, you've got nothing and don't need anything to start killing the ships at that level. Default gear, default boffs, all anyone needs to do is put weapon power to 100 and decloak and stuff blows up. As level increases, things scale up to the point where using your BOFF powers effectively really starts to matter.

Its the point of the game where skill is basically irrelevant, as is equipment, and it was designed to be that way. The big mistake or oversight most people make is just weapon power because it is the only thing you can get wrong, and is wrong by default.
    fftt wrote: »
    One of the KDF recruit rewards is an Engineering BOff that increases the ambush duration from 5 seconds to 10 seconds, so that could help out somewhat. She also has the veteran combat(?) space trait.

She actually gives +10 seconds, so you go from 5 to 15, but yes, she's a very good BOFF to be using for this task.

Mmm... just saw this ingame. Weird. A Melee Kill Tracker, without a proper icon or description. Unintentional bug? But an answer to our request??? For now, it just seems to take a slot if you equip it, but does nothing thus far. This IS SO exciting though!

Uhm-bug.png

Yeah, I saw the melee tracker trait.. I equipped it, but it doesn’t do anything.. yet. Except for take up one of your trait slots that is. :lol:
    Yeah LOL. I know right? But, that being said, I am SO excited of this future implementation!
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Funnily enough, the first of april does fall on a thursday (patch day) this year.
    Yeah, I saw the melee tracker trait.. I equipped it, but it doesn’t do anything.. yet. Except for take up one of your trait slots that is. :lol:

Oh!!! It's there. Finally it's there :D I just noticed this just now. Just click on any of the numbers. Like 1000, and you will see a tracking number telling you how much pps you killed by melee OR ship!!!

I guess everyone is equipped with this now invisible trait they were working on :)
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User

God... I know, right? I am between 500 and 1000 for the equivalent trait on the ground. I dunno if I am at 550 or 950. *sigh*

FYI, if you open the klingon recruit transponder to show the achievements, select the one higher than you've earned (so if you're currently trying to earn 500 ambush kills, select that one, not the 100 that you finished already), and it will show you progress. Mine shows something like 158/500 right now I think. It's a nifty tool.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    For anyone that doesn't know, "Storm Clouds Gather" is a great story mission to grind de-cloak kills. Just play through the ground portion of the mission. After which you begin the space part of the mission. You can grind easy kills by blowing up Hur'q ships that are separated into groups of about 10-20. Kill like 90% of them and warp out. After which you can start that part of the map over again. DO NOT WIPE THE ENTIRE MAP. It takes about 2-3 minutes and it's easily over 100 kills.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    Home is also good for that - tons of swarmers and a smattering of bigger ships​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited February 2021

FYI, if you open the klingon recruit transponder to show the achievements, select the one higher than you've earned (so if you're currently trying to earn 500 ambush kills, select that one, not the 100 that you finished already), and it will show you progress. Mine shows something like 158/500 right now I think. It's a nifty tool.

Uhm... that's exactly what I said in my last post dude lol.

For anyone that doesn't know, "Storm Clouds Gather" is a great story mission to grind de-cloak kills. Just play through the ground portion of the mission. After which you begin the space part of the mission. You can grind easy kills by blowing up Hur'q ships that are separated into groups of about 10-20. Kill like 90% of them and warp out. After which you can start that part of the map over again. DO NOT WIPE THE ENTIRE MAP. It takes about 2-3 minutes and it's easily over 100 kills.

Indeed :D Good tip though!
This discussion has been closed.