test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Carrier Pets (esp squadrons)

westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 8,479 Arc User
Out of curiosity...

- are there readily available carrier pets (esp squadron types) that use Plasma, Antiproton, or Tetryon damage types? (I grabbed the squadrons off the Fed, KDF, and JH support carriers for the other three types.)

- which are the best types (performance-wise) of carrier pets? I am particularly interested in ones that are not ship-limited.

Comments

• ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    I know you can get Scorpions in squadron form. The "Blue" ones you can get from the Hangar Pet Vendor. The Elites were added to the Romulan Rep.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yes, the Scorpion Fighter Squadrons do Plasma Damage. You can claim them from any ship vendor if you own one of the Scimitar ships or the Romulan Support Carrier. Once claimed, they are usable on any ship with a hangar bay.

As for damage types, I don't know of any that do AP damage. The Stalker Fighter Squadrons deal Tetryon but they sadly are locked to Caitian ships only. It's an odd choice because the pets from the Romulan, Klingon and the Jem Hardar carriers are all universal pets. Only the Stalker Fighter Squadrons are bound to one type of ship.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dkdrachedkdrache Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Yes, the Scorpion Fighter Squadrons do Plasma Damage. You can claim them from any ship vendor if you own one of the Scimitar ships or the Romulan Support Carrier. Once claimed, they are usable on any ship with a hangar bay.

As for damage types, I don't know of any that do AP damage. The Stalker Fighter Squadrons deal Tetryon but they sadly are locked to Caitian ships only. It's an odd choice because the pets from the Romulan, Klingon and the Jem Hardar carriers are all universal pets. Only the Stalker Fighter Squadrons are bound to one type of ship.

If they have access to a Fleet Spire, Ob. Swarmers for AP. Tholian Fighters for Tetryon (Nukara Rep).
    dkdrache wrote: »

If they have access to a Fleet Spire, Ob. Swarmers for AP. Tholian Fighters for Tetryon (Nukara Rep).

Personally, I love Obelisk Swarmers. The only reason I didn’t mention them is because the focus of the question was on Squadron Pets. For AP Pets, I agree completely.. Swarmers are great.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    IIRC the temporal fighters do AP damage too but they're not squadrons but "normal" fighters.

Personally, I love Obelisk Swarmers. The only reason I didn’t mention them is because the focus of the question was on Squadron Pets. For AP Pets, I agree completely.. Swarmers are great.

As an unrelated personal aside, I wonder how many Federation (only) players who might have access to SAD are gleeful for their sudden (and unexpected) access to Nausicaan Stinger Fighters.

As an unrelated personal aside, I wonder how many Federation (only) players who might have access to SAD are gleeful for their sudden (and unexpected) access to Nausicaan Stinger Fighters.

Believe it or not, if you have access to SAD, the To'Duj Squadrons are better. :wink:
    edited January 2021

Believe it or not, if you have access to SAD, the To'Duj Squadrons are better. :wink:

Edit: Ahh, I see there is a bug with the pulse cannons and SAD.

Here

It appears it's a bug with the Pulse Cannons most noticeable on the blue variants.

Discussion here.

It appears it's a bug with the Pulse Cannons most noticeable on the blue variants.

Discussion here.

Yeah, that's been the case for a while which is why I still use the blue ones. They absolutely shred under SAD, it's quite impressive. :smile:
    westmetals wrote: »
    The reasoning behind the above was.... I noticed that one of the KDF Recruit tasks is endeavour points, and considering the variety of energy-type-damage endeavours and my setting up my recruit as sci, I was thinking of coming up with a stable of interchangeable fighters for all the energy types, so I can customize a carrier (or possibly Legendary Intrepid) build to the endeavour without needing to mess with the weapons.

Also... I noticed that the Obelisk Swarmers that you can get for free (via the hidden console in "Sphere of Influence") are ship-limited, while the vendor ones appear not to be? Is this a bug?

I don’t believe that the console specific variant are still available. They come now from the Dilithium Store or Fleet Spire and those variants are indeed universal. I use them on several of my ships, they do not have a ship limitation. They are also one of the pets that actually benefit from rarity increase as they should.
    The reasoning behind the above was.... I noticed that one of the KDF Recruit tasks is endeavour points, and considering the variety of energy-type-damage endeavours and my setting up my recruit as sci, I was thinking of coming up with a stable of interchangeable fighters for all the energy types, so I can customize a carrier (or possibly Legendary Intrepid) build to the endeavour without needing to mess with the weapons.

Also... I noticed that the Obelisk Swarmers that you can get for free (via the hidden console in "Sphere of Influence") are ship-limited, while the vendor ones appear not to be? Is this a bug?

I don’t believe that the console specific variant are still available. They come now from the Dilithium Store or Fleet Spire and those variants are indeed universal. I use them on several of my ships, they do not have a ship limitation. They are also one of the pets that actually benefit from rarity increase as they should.

My Klingon Recruit got them from the hidden console in the mission last night and they are ship-limited.

Good to know.

The ones you get from the Dilithium Store and the Fleet Spire are not ship locked, they can be used on any ship with a hangar bay. My Fed Engineer is currently using them on a Presidio.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    I'm still trying to figure out why cryptic added all these fighter squadrons, then ship-restricted the only federation one... Caitian fighters used to be usable on any carrier, now they're caitian carrier only. Probably to force people to buy the aspero because it has no other redeeming values.

Why is there no peregrine squadron? That seems like a no brainer but, as usual, cryptic forgets the most basic things.