test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Future LD Content

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
Since they're adding stuff from the new shows, once they bring in Lower Decks content, they have to make General K'orin our Klingon contact, maybe bring in that Pakled Ship too alongside some LD Fed uniforms.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... we're most likely going to see the uniforms and California class in game. Not sure about the Pakled ship, but you never know.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... we're most likely going to see the uniforms and California class in game. Not sure about the Pakled ship, but you never know.

One of the devs said in a podcast that was posted this morning that they're waiting for season 2 before doing the California because someone from LD said the Cerritos would do something amazing next season.

EDIT: fixed an auto-correct fail
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I personally couldn't get through the first episode of the show, just not my cup of tea. That said, I have no huge issue with them bringing in the uniforms, ship designs or any other inanimate objects they deem worthy to add.

However, if they bring in characters, I pray they leave the "humor" for the show and make the characters look like the actually BELONG in STO. The DOff's they added are still jarring as hell when I am doing my DOff'ing. The original look for them using game assets was well done and then they went and changed them to the animated look. Dumb choice, IMO.

I don't begrudge anyone who likes the show, I hope it does well and leads to other shows down the road. Different takes on the franchise is a good thing, even if they don't all appeal to every Star Trek fan.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Nice, I'm glad they're not jumping the gun with the Cerritos/California like they did with the Inquiry. We never even saw the latter ship fire a single shot, let alone anything else it could do besides warp in and stare down Romulan ships.

Somewhat random thought, but I wonder if they could integrate it into the Steamrunner chassis for more space-barbie customization.
  • banditse1977#1368 banditse1977 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    The DOff's they added are still jarring as hell when I am doing my DOff'ing. The original look for them using game assets was well done and then they went and changed them to the animated look. Dumb choice, IMO.

Apparently it was at the request of the studio,after the original in game look ones came out they asked for them to be changed to look like how they did in the show.

• banditse1977#1368 banditse1977 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    [/quote]

"Asked" is probably too soft a word. "Directed" is probably more accurate.

This is an example of marketing pressure developers are subject to when it comes to things like this. The did a great job of presenting the LD characters within the medium of STO. But because of marketing pressure they had to change it to reflect the cartoony nature of the show, which clashes with the art style of the game. I'm not a fan of that move either.

I liked the way Cryptic had made them match the STO art style as well.

I guess we can expect the Cerritos to be introduced with the cartoon style textures to if marketing has its say again!

Post edited by banditse1977#1368 on
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Lower Decks is the only new Star Trek show that actually feels right. I'd glad to see the uniforms and ships in the game, the Cerritos being a T6 Utility Cruiser and the Parliament could be the T6 of the DSC starter ship.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I personally couldn't get through the first episode of the show, just not my cup of tea. That said, I have no huge issue with them bringing in the uniforms, ship designs or any other inanimate objects they deem worthy to add.

However, if they bring in characters, I pray they leave the "humor" for the show and make the characters look like the actually BELONG in STO. The DOff's they added are still jarring as hell when I am doing my DOff'ing. The original look for them using game assets was well done and then they went and changed them to the animated look. Dumb choice, IMO.

I don't begrudge anyone who likes the show, I hope it does well and leads to other shows down the road. Different takes on the franchise is a good thing, even if they don't all appeal to every Star Trek fan.

Their original looks were in creepy uncanny valley territory, the only one that looked good and passable was D'vana Tendi. a middle ground between the two art styles would have been preferable.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    Their original looks were in creepy uncanny valley territory, the only one that looked good and passable was D'vana Tendi. a middle ground between the two art styles would have been preferable.
    The whole game's human-ish NPCs are now close to or in the uncanny valley as unlike the ships, they haven't aged well with the engine.
    I'm going through Delta Rising again on my KDF Recruit and dear god, the Doctor's wax face.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    The whole game's human-ish NPCs are now close to or in the uncanny valley as unlike the ships, they haven't aged well with the engine.
    I'm going through Delta Rising again on my KDF Recruit and dear god, the Doctor's wax face.
    Newer NPCs, like from the Tzenkethi arc onward, don't look that bad.

but both AoY and DR had some big waxface problems. Chekov looks awful, as does Daniels, and the Doctor.

It's a bit of hit and miss with newer human character's Stamets looks "off" but Burnham looks OK(ish) as does Landry, LaForge looks ok too so it might a case of darker skinned character's avoiding the waxface issue while lighter skinned don't.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    We gotta have Jaxs' s big gun from the Vindicta hologram! And perhaps hydroscoots for Risa?
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • stocostumes#8412 stocostumes Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Definitely looking forward to the California class and LDS uniforms! Until then, this is something we created for fun:

https://imgur.com/a/v9me4Hl
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Newer NPCs, like from the Tzenkethi arc onward, don't look that bad.

but both AoY and DR had some big waxface problems. Chekov looks awful, as does Daniels, and the Doctor.

It's a bit of hit and miss with newer human character's Stamets looks "off" but Burnham looks OK(ish) as does Landry, LaForge looks ok too so it might a case of darker skinned character's avoiding the waxface issue while lighter skinned don't.

The darker skin tones look better on the kind of low-poly models games generally use because they hide a lot of flaws.

Light skin tones need very detailed secular maps (even more than one stacked for the best results) to look natural because it is not quite opaque and has complex subsurface scattering and skin oils along with color shifts from blood vessels and various pore sizes. The scatter depth for light skin and wax are almost the same, to the point that what looks good on one system can look waxy on another, and a darker tone hides that fact better, along with being more opaque so subsurface details like vein density don't matter as much.

Newer tools and techniques can add more realistic skin details easier and with less graphics lag so that is getting better, but even using them it takes a while to update a large pool of characters like STO has.

The alien features thing somtaawkhar mentions works mainly because it distracts the eye and also because the viewer generally expects them to look like latex appliances and heavy opaque-foundation makeup like the shows, so the simple matte finish with painted on details looks right.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Lower Decks is the only new Star Trek show that actually feels right. I'd glad to see the uniforms and ships in the game, the Cerritos being a T6 Utility Cruiser and the Parliament could be the T6 of the DSC starter ship.​​

Same here. I said it before, Lower Decks, apart from Beyond, is the ONLY post 2005 Trek I've actually enjoyed.

I wants me a California class, and I've love the LD folks as Boffs. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.