test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't SEE.

13»

Comments

• jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I didn't mention dps players in my OP. You said yourself that dps players are unlikely to use the "magic effect spewing" abilities I was talking about.

But, we appear to have drifted off topic.

To be fair, as the quote show perfectly well, you did write: "ridiculous, OP, magic effect spewing ships that obliterate everything in the blink of an eye": ships don't fly by themselves so yes, you did mention dps players.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Some points on the topic of dev ability/inability to edit effects:
    1. they produce new effects fully knowing how they will appear, and therefore do have access to create and modify them
    2. one effect I can recall having been adjusted was the thickness of beams, with my speculation it was done to make beam effects from shuttles more proportional
    3. devs deliberately added full screen flash effects following the borg revamp to many big ships - this was an intentional change, demonstrating they can increase or decrease various effects often for no real reason, further indicating that it may not be hard to do so should they wish to

From developers of other games that may apply to STO, it is possible to contain proprietary code aspects that have no documentation and require sourcing the original developers and owners to change.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    From developers of other games that may apply to STO, it is possible to contain proprietary code aspects that have no documentation and require sourcing the original developers and owners to change.

Yes, but that does not apply to databases and, as such, doesn't apply to queries either.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You just put [ img] without the extra space before the url and [ /img] without the extra space after the url.

Example:

144340583_10159196111198899_6730733732841434745_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=kEDXNCJ2vVIAX_aW97v&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-2.fna&oh=523e03b96679937e18e140fb16f60c0d&oe=60399A98
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    This one comes up a lot, and the explanation I think has already been stated in the thread further up (and started a fight, because of course). As you may have surmised, the FX in the game would all need to be modified separately. That doesn't mean we'll never do something about it (and I started another conversation with the Leads about it because of this thread), but it does mean if we do it may be a while.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Thanks Kael for all the posts today! Thank you for looking into this.

I am glad STO is off to a good year, and I hope it means you can get a raise too.

It is really encouraging to see you post here!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This one comes up a lot, and the explanation I think has already been stated in the thread further up (and started a fight, because of course). As you may have surmised, the FX in the game would all need to be modified separately. That doesn't mean we'll never do something about it (and I started another conversation with the Leads about it because of this thread), but it does mean if we do it may be a while.

First, thank you for your reply. It's refreshing to see someone from Cryptic posting here.

While that does seem like a large task indeed, I would respectfully ask.. would it not be beneficial during this time to at least reduce things like this on new items that aren't even in the game yet? For example, the Risian Weather Control ship has a lot of 'flashy' effects and it appears that the upcoming Tamar class is set to push even more 'big flashy balls.'

Is there any internal dialogue about reducing these effects on future releases? The reason I ask is because we all know that people gravitate toward the 'new shineys' Many of these items aren't even that powerful, just everyone grabs them because they are new. In my opinion, a lot of this problem can be alleviated by simply having future event and promotional items have reduced visual effects. Eventually, everyone would get bored with the 'old stuff' and move on to the new and you might not have to go back and alter as many things as you think.

Use the heard mentality to your benefit.. just an idea. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    On semi topic: honestly at some point couple of years ago the transparency texture/objects stopped being transparent in space for some stuff, not matter the graphic driver updates performed on my end----for say:

The Tzenkethi Battle zone asteroid belt layers as some stated before.
    The energy streams in the Allied Dyson Sphere (along with the models of the tips of some of the energy/particle things which were circular donut objects)
    The Undine Planet Protection TFOs literally half the time everything is covered up and have to be in the "zones" to see stuff, try finding those optional rifts that open half the time and fly right over/through them because you need the camera at the right angle to keep from being covered up by a "clear" texture.
    The Voth Fortress has some issues too with that---but this is minor since it really only affects the path to the insertion point of attack after passing through enough to shoot away the hull integrity %.
    There are a couple other I can't name off top of my head at the moment

I'm on a Intel i7-6700K CPU, 32 GiB Ram, M.2 Drive and SSDs, and a Geforce GTX 1080 "Extreme" 8 GiB of GDDR5 (so mid range? low mid? we are into the 3080 territory now with apparently the 3080 Ti's close to being announced). I've now in time of this game (all 11 years) had 3 different PCs I've built through the years. I remember Breaking the Planet/Klingon Scout Force and the Computer Core Fragment Mission yellow/orange dust clouds being intensive on my Dual 5750s-or 5770s---can't remember which, back in the day; let alone up took noise increase of the fan speed on the ATI 7970---visual effects that I can't say Cryptic have used ever again.

Also for love of god FIX DS9/Terok Nor. Their damn models don't line up with their "no fly" through object positioning, they are like turned horizontally maybe 15º-20º clockwise from where the models show they should be, nothing pisses me off than not able aim or fly to something I'm looking directly at without a visible object in the way. It has been this way for at least a year and half? One of the reasons I hate running the TFO
    It has also been suggested that the devs were not aware of the issue because they do not actually play the game under the same circumstances as the rest of us do. where the sheer number of special maneuvers trigger the visual overload. I actually share that perception. If they did get an eyefull od it while testing what they've been working on, I fail to believe that they would sit back and say, "that looks good.". Or maybe they do realize it looks bad and just don't want to own up to the fact because it would be too hard to fix because they don't have the talent available.

I mean, I think the majority of people realizes that the devs do not, in fact, play the game - whether they don't at all or do so under "special" circumstances, I guess we'll never know for sure - otherwise as you said they couldn't really think that anything going on on screen is even remotely acceptable.

And truly, as @seaofsorrows justly suggested: if they don't want to go back and fix everything "by hand" - because in a system where making a humanoid figure in a cannonball position and attaching the VFX to it is *easier* than making a freaking BALL, of course they have no idea what databases and queries are or how they work - at least make the new things less flashy/big/annoying to begin with. BEFORE releasing them onto the Holodeck. Is it really THAT hard to *think* before acting?!
    kv1Ohsx.png

This discussion has been closed.