test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does the Jupiter class suck?

captainhaseocaptainhaseo Member Posts: 52 Arc User
i love the look of the ship but i got like 12 people telling me dont get it it sucks....

look im ok with low DPS, im more worried about servivability of the ship and Frigate pets, ik atm as well carriers in general suck.

what im asking from the community if they want, tell me why tho it sucks more then the other carriers.

and please no trolling i honestly need a second opinion.

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    look im ok with low DPS, im more worried about servivability of the ship and Frigate pets

Ok, the Jupiter can handle any content with the right build.. just like any ship.. but the problem you are going to have is that in STO, DPS contributes quite a bit to your survivability. You are going to face waves of enemies in story missions and no matter how many heals you bring, they have shared cooldowns so you can't just pop them whenever you want. Eventually, the average player will succumb to pure numbers. In STO, a key to survivability is taking enemies off the board and that is where the Jupiter is quite lackluster.

It's bridge officer seating makes it a poor tactical ship and it's lack of a secondary deflector and no sensor analysis make it a poor science ship. Tactically, the Jupiter can only support up to Lt. Level tactical skills, so the best Fire At Will you can do for example is Rank II which suffers horrible accuracy penalties. The Jupiter is intended to be a hybrid between a standard ship and a science vessel and it just fails to be either. The other major drawback are it's exclusive hangar pets.. which are simply put, the 2nd worst pets in the game besting only the completely terrible Cardassian Yukawa Frigates in performance. The Callisto's have abysmal AI spending most of their time flying in wide circles and firing at nothing because everything is out of their arc further lowering the damage output of an already struggling ship.

In the end, if you really love the Jupiter and you just want to be able to play the game missions and do some normal or even advanced queues.. if it's the ship you really want, then it can be made.. passable. If it's what you want, get it, but know that you're going to have to build it right or you're going to encounter problems in later missions where combat ramps up. Can it handle it? Yes.. any T6 can, but it's going to take a bit more knowledge and skill then getting something like one of the new Support Carriers that allows you to support higher rank Tactical Skills while also having superior pets.

If you do get a Jupiter, I recommend considering a Beam Overload build instead of FAW, boost accuracy where you can (via consoles and traits not ACC Mod on Weapons) and consider using different pets. If you want the ship and need build help to make it more viable, I am sure we can figure something out. It might take a bit more effort then some of the 'easy mode' ships, but it's more then capable of handling content as long as you don't intend to do Elites at any point.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    look im ok with low DPS, im more worried about servivability of the ship and Frigate pets

Ok, the Jupiter can handle any content with the right build.. just like any ship.. but the problem you are going to have is that in STO, DPS contributes quite a bit to your survivability. You are going to face waves of enemies in story missions and no matter how many heals you bring, they have shared cooldowns so you can't just pop them whenever you want. Eventually, the average player will succumb to pure numbers. In STO, a key to survivability is taking enemies off the board and that is where the Jupiter is quite lackluster.

It's bridge officer seating makes it a poor tactical ship and it's lack of a secondary deflector and no sensor analysis make it a poor science ship. Tactically, the Jupiter can only support up to Lt. Level tactical skills, so the best Fire At Will you can do for example is Rank II which suffers horrible accuracy penalties. The Jupiter is intended to be a hybrid between a standard ship and a science vessel and it just fails to be either. The other major drawback are it's exclusive hangar pets.. which are simply put, the 2nd worst pets in the game besting only the completely terrible Cardassian Yukawa Frigates in performance. The Callisto's have abysmal AI spending most of their time flying in wide circles and firing at nothing because everything is out of their arc further lowering the damage output of an already struggling ship.

In the end, if you really love the Jupiter and you just want to be able to play the game missions and do some normal or even advanced queues.. if it's the ship you really want, then it can be made.. passable. If it's what you want, get it, but know that you're going to have to build it right or you're going to encounter problems in later missions where combat ramps up. Can it handle it? Yes.. any T6 can, but it's going to take a bit more knowledge and skill then getting something like one of the new Support Carriers that allows you to support higher rank Tactical Skills while also having superior pets.

If you do get a Jupiter, I recommend considering a Beam Overload build instead of FAW, boost accuracy where you can (via consoles and traits not ACC Mod on Weapons) and consider using different pets. If you want the ship and need build help to make it more viable, I am sure we can figure something out. It might take a bit more effort then some of the 'easy mode' ships, but it's more then capable of handling content as long as you don't intend to do Elites at any point.

oh boy, well if its that bad what pets should i go with and is their another 2 hanger fed ship in the C store i can use as a plan b?

p.s. im a fed purest so i only fly fed ships, otherwise id get the vanguard carrier.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

oh boy, well if its that bad what pets should i go with and is their another 2 hanger fed ship in the C store i can use as a plan b?

p.s. im a fed purest so i only fly fed ships, otherwise id get the vanguard carrier.

So you're only looking at 'pure carriers?'

I am trying to figure out what is important to you.. if you want a large ship with 2 hangar bays the Aspero is a pretty good choice, it's better tactically and has squadron pets which perform much better then Callisto Frigates. There isn't much in the way of 'pure carriers' since they're kind of an afterthought in STO but there are a variety of nice 'flight deck' carriers like the Jem'Hadar Vanguard or the Cardassian Ghemor class. For pure fed ship, you are pretty much limited to the Jupiter and the Aspero from the C-Store sadly, but the Aspero is pretty solid.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

So you're only looking at 'pure carriers?'

I am trying to figure out what is important to you.. if you want a large ship with 2 hangar bays the Aspero is a pretty good choice, it's better tactically and has squadron pets which perform much better then Callisto Frigates. There isn't much in the way of 'pure carriers' since they're kind of an afterthought in STO but there are a variety of nice 'flight deck' carriers like the Jem'Hadar Vanguard or the Cardassian Ghemor class. For pure fed ship, you are pretty much limited to the Jupiter and the Aspero from the C-Store sadly, but the Aspero is pretty solid.

the Aspero huh, ok ill look into it on the wiki ty
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    If you can bring yourself to use a non-fed ship, the suliban silik is probably one of the best cstore carriers in the game. It has two hangars, isn't super large or slow like most carriers, and has the 5/3 weapon setup of a battlecruiser or dreadnought giving it a lot more firepower than 3/3 carriers.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Wasn't there an Akira lookalike carrier? It certainly wouldn't be a "pure carrier" but it would fit the Fed ship and good combat ship requirements.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Necro? @darkbladejk
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    It is indeed, if only a script existed to close threads at the time of their death.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    there are occasional exceptions to the necro rule. this isn't one of them but thats part of why there is no script. /necro close
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.