test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best choice for t5?

vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
We are getting a shiny t5 ship choice coupon today, which is a very nice gesture of Cryptic. So my question is - what ship would you prefer and why? Are there any ships with some good and useful gear to get? I can't remember all of the t5 ships so I'm kinda confused. I'd be grateful for any suggestions. :)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    You should look for a t5 ship with a console that forms a set with its t6 version.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    vulcan sci ship at T5... getting that also unlocks the vulcan shuttle - Fed Only for now.

Look at all the T5 ships you dont own and pick one that has a console you like... would be my approach. Honestly, folks who have a T6 will not fly a T5.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Or pick one you have a T6 of, and would like the T5 costume parts. Depends on your priorities.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    You won't likely be using the T5 ship as a working vessel, unless you like the challenge of doing more with less.

The D'Kyr gets you a shuttle, so two Admiralty cards in one. Other ships may unlock certain pets for carriers, or provide a skin or material to a T6 ship, or provide a console you'd like, or add a weapon like the Wide-Angle Quantum torpedo for instance. You might even use it just for an Admiralty card of whatever type you need.

It comes as a box you can store on your account, so if you don't already know what you'd like to get, you can always stick it in the bank and wait until you have a need.

I wouldn't recommend storing it in a character's inventory though... Cryptic apparently feels free to randomly cash in packs on your character, even ones you paid cash for, and then completely ignore all inquiries as to how they're going to fix it. (See the months-old and multiple threads on the Ship Slot packs that Cryptic auto-cashed for players)
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I'd say pick whichever one gives you a skin you'd like to have the parts for the T6. Kar'Fi(for people who just got and like the Gok'Tad), Avenger/Mogh, Ranger(for TOS enthusiasts), etc. Heck, even stuff like the Scimitars and Andorian ships if you don't mind breaking their bundles.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    It comes down to console or skin for space barbie.

I picked one of the Rom dreads as my Rom toon as a T6 and I wanted another console and extra customisation parts.

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    vulcan sci ship at T5... getting that also unlocks the vulcan shuttle - Fed Only for now.

Look at all the T5 ships you dont own and pick one that has a console you like... would be my approach. Honestly, folks who have a T6 will not fly a T5.

This is what I'm going to get...once the token is actually available lol
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The Tier 5 consoles tend to be not so exciting, because they lack a passive. They might be interesting for set items, but even that is rarely useful.
    IIRC, the Tier 5 Prometheus and Galaxy Class give access to their ships respective separation abilities, that might be interesting for flavor at least. Though at least the Galaxy is also available as a Level 6x choice, IIRC as single character unlock, you might not need it that much then.

Otherwise, pick a Science Vessel for your Admiralty needs. With the faction walls falling on ships, any one you like.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Yea I went with the D'Kyr as well. As I had most of the T5s already my options were limited.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2021
    Yea a Ship with a nice Console is what I advised someone in another thread, especially if it can be used on the T6 or ANY ship and is good for your build. It can also extend your admiralty, like the Vulcan which gives 2in1.

I'm considering the T5 Vulcan ship, as you get the Vulcan Shuttle too; but will be patient and see if anyone suggests other good idea's to try, provided I haven't claimed the ship yet.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Would selecting one of the T5 Andorian ships unlock the Andorian phasers option like the T6s?
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Would selecting one of the T5 Andorian ships unlock the Andorian phasers option like the T6s?

it should
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    Went with the Regent, myself. The last piece I needed for a battle cloaking assault cruiser.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

I just checked to make sure, I only own the T5 set and I can buy Andorian Phasers
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

I just checked to make sure, I only own the T5 set and I can buy Andorian Phasers

Oh dang this will be tempting then lol, thanks lianthelia checking to verify.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2021
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Since Cryptic is/will be (due to a typo) giving out a Free Tier 5 Ship Coupon today, here's some recommendations.

None of the Tier 5 consoles have passive stats and the few consoles usable on any ship or Warbird aren't very impressive, though some are entertaining.

Ships that have a console that can be used on any ship:
    Avenger - Deploys two torpedoes that also shoot torpedoes, and what type it shoots depends on the Cruiser Command in use (if none, shoots Quantums)
    Mogh - Deploys two torpedoes that lay mines... that then shoot lasers
    D'Deridex - Shoots a quantum singularity out the front that acts as a moving Gravity Well. Can be had for a level 61 token on Romulans.
    Gorn Varanus - plops down a Repair Platform that does a fragile AoE cloak, and gives everyone nearby some drones that heal them.
    Dhelan - Shoots a probe that doesn't do much.

Ships that have a console that can be used on any Warbird (I.E. needs a Singularity core)
    Mogai - Shoots a large lightning bolt that become a huge one if a proc happens before you shoot it. Powercreeped enemies make this nigh useless.

Ships to fly:
    For weapon damage:
    The Scimitar is still a predator after all these years, 5 fore 3 aft standard weapons, 5 Tactical consoles, Commander Tactical Bridge Officer, along with a rare for a T5 Lt. Commander Universal Bridge Officer.
    Avenger and Mogh are the older versions of the fairly recommended Arbiter and Kurak Battlecruiers, and are still pretty decent if you want some more Cruiser-like.

The Regent can be made to look like the Enterprise E, and thanks to it's remixed Bridge Officer layout it now has a Lt. Comm. Tactical that really helps it put out more damage than the Freebie you get at level 40.
    There's also the B and F, that also do well. I don't recommend the D because you can get it with the level 61 token, and it's lackluster layout with only a Lieutenant Tactical.

For Science!:
    The Vesta line has a very flexible layout along with good console layout.
    Vesta proper has a 5 Science console layout out of the box
    Aventine variant of the Vesta has a very entertaining death laser that shoots out of the deflector that scales with Exotic Particle Generators and Phaser Damage. I would only get this if you intend to make it T5-U, as it only has 4 Science consoles as a T5 without it.

Blarg... This took a while to post thanks to the URL feature constantly giving me pains, hope you like it. Let me know if I missed any T5s with usable on any ship or Warbird consoles and your picks.

Yes, thanks to @tom61sto the Mogh was possibly one I was considering, as I do have the Kurak Battlecruiser already, both non Fleet (which gives Console) as well as the Fleet variant. And to @keepcalmchiveon who identified the Deadly Maneuvers set they combine to make. Good catches to you both!

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Deadly_Maneuvers_Set_(Mogh)#Console_-_Universal_-_Dynamic_Defense_Deployment_System

Set 2: Deadly Maneuvers
    +15% All Weapon Damage
    +33% Flight Turn Rate
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    strathkin wrote: »
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Since Cryptic is/will be (due to a typo) giving out a Free Tier 5 Ship Coupon today, here's some recommendations.

None of the Tier 5 consoles have passive stats and the few consoles usable on any ship or Warbird aren't very impressive, though some are entertaining.

Ships that have a console that can be used on any ship:
    Avenger - Deploys two torpedoes that also shoot torpedoes, and what type it shoots depends on the Cruiser Command in use (if none, shoots Quantums)
    Mogh - Deploys two torpedoes that lay mines... that then shoot lasers
    D'Deridex - Shoots a quantum singularity out the front that acts as a moving Gravity Well. Can be had for a level 61 token on Romulans.
    Gorn Varanus - plops down a Repair Platform that does a fragile AoE cloak, and gives everyone nearby some drones that heal them.
    Dhelan - Shoots a probe that doesn't do much.

Ships that have a console that can be used on any Warbird (I.E. needs a Singularity core)
    Mogai - Shoots a large lightning bolt that become a huge one if a proc happens before you shoot it. Powercreeped enemies make this nigh useless.

Ships to fly:
    For weapon damage:
    The Scimitar is still a predator after all these years, 5 fore 3 aft standard weapons, 5 Tactical consoles, Commander Tactical Bridge Officer, along with a rare for a T5 Lt. Commander Universal Bridge Officer.
    Avenger and Mogh are the older versions of the fairly recommended Arbiter and Kurak Battlecruiers, and are still pretty decent if you want some more Cruiser-like.

The Regent can be made to look like the Enterprise E, and thanks to it's remixed Bridge Officer layout it now has a Lt. Comm. Tactical that really helps it put out more damage than the Freebie you get at level 40.
    There's also the B and F, that also do well. I don't recommend the D because you can get it with the level 61 token, and it's lackluster layout with only a Lieutenant Tactical.

For Science!:
    The Vesta line has a very flexible layout along with good console layout.
    Vesta proper has a 5 Science console layout out of the box
    Aventine variant of the Vesta has a very entertaining death laser that shoots out of the deflector that scales with Exotic Particle Generators and Phaser Damage. I would only get this if you intend to make it T5-U, as it only has 4 Science consoles as a T5 without it.

Blarg... This took a while to post thanks to the URL feature constantly giving me pains, hope you like it. Let me know if I missed any T5s with usable on any ship or Warbird consoles and your picks.

Yes, thanks to @tom61sto the Mogh was possibly one I was considering, as I do have the Kurak Battlecruiser already, both non Fleet (which gives Console) as well as the Fleet variant. And to @keepcalmchiveon who identified the Deadly Maneuvers set they combine to make. Good catches to you both!

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Deadly_Maneuvers_Set_(Mogh)#Console_-_Universal_-_Dynamic_Defense_Deployment_System

Set 2: Deadly Maneuvers
    +15% All Weapon Damage
    +33% Flight Turn Rate

Dang that Deadly Maneuvers set bonus is very worthwhile, dang it, more to consider now lol.
  • Options
    kwyjenkwyjen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    The Lukari scout ship actually gives a trait.. kinda..
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I'm almost sure the answer will be no, but I wonder if with the 'fly any ship' mechanic, identical consoles can be used on the other faction.

For example, could the Avenger console be used on the Mogh? I'm 95% sure they're mechanically different items, so the answer will be no. It'll be interesting to see though.

EDIT: The giveaway will have ended by the time the 'fly any ship' feature is released. Don't wait for this!
    Post edited by captainkoltar on
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I'm considering the Bortasqu' for the HoH'SuS Bird-of-Prey separation, but fear if there's a Klingon legendary pack coming up those may be in there also. The Disruptor Autocannon sounds really fun also, though the cooldown I bet is so long it's not even worth it, but I'm leaning towards having the BoP as having any pet diverting some alpha damage helps a lot in elite patrols in scenarios where you are the sole target. Plus it's a BoP!

Tulwar would also be tempting on alt account for the skin, and I'd have to test if its Singularity Distributor Unit actually allows shields to regenerate while cloaked which if so will be a very interesting.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I'm considering the Bortasqu' for the HoH'SuS Bird-of-Prey separation, but fear if there's a Klingon legendary pack coming up those may be in there also. The Disruptor Autocannon sounds really fun also, though the cooldown I bet is so long it's not even worth it, but I'm leaning towards having the BoP as having any pet diverting some alpha damage helps a lot in elite patrols in scenarios where you are the sole target. Plus it's a BoP!

Tulwar would also be tempting on alt account for the skin, and I'd have to test if its Singularity Distributor Unit actually allows shields to regenerate while cloaked which if so will be a very interesting.

The Bortas autocannon is fun, but it's not really amazing.. (especially compared to the awesomeness of the Mat'ha Autocannons). I'd say it's generally on par with most spinal lances, both in terms of charge-up time and damage.. except it takes up a console slot. I generally recommend pairing it with the Subspace Jumper(instead of the Subspace Snare), but that's two console slots eaten up for a gimmick. The pet is.. not very responsive.

Personally, I ended up going with the Haakona for the skin and console because I use the Kara on one of my characters. I figured the console would just be a gimmick, but the assault separation actually doubles the turn rate of the ship, turns the lance into a wide-area cone and the guardian half sometimes throws out heals and sing jumps. Pleasantly surprised.
This discussion has been closed.