test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do Federation ships use USS?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
This discussion was created from comments split from: Nobody said anything about bridge officers.

Comments

• fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited January 2021

Flaming/trolling redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2021

I think Kirk said it in a TOS episode -United Space Ship.
    Tza0PEl.png
    edited January 2021
    nikephorus wrote: »

That's the rationalisation. The real reason they did it was for the audience. 60's America was fiercely patriotic and a USS designation played well with the viewers.

edited January 2021

That's the rationalisation. The real reason they did it was for the audience. 60's America was fiercely patriotic and a USS designation played well with the viewers.

it is a naval tradition not only from USA, but UK, and many many more countries. i think you missed the mark a bit mate.

Well, no. Only America uses USS.

Britain uses HMS.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2021

No, it was because the Enterprise was an American ship in the first couple of episodes. There was also a bit where they were part of the "United Earth Space Probe Agency". The TOS writers basically made things up as they went along: it wasn't for several episodes before Gene Coon established the concept of the Federation.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited January 2021

it is a naval tradition not only from USA, but UK, and many many more countries. i think you missed the mark a bit mate.

Britain uses HMS.

Indeed as far as I know USS is USA only on Earth IRL, since it means "United States Ship", HMS stands for His/Her Majesty's Ship (based on the gender of the Monarch, currently "Her Majesty's Ship" due UK having a ruling Queen).
  • darkwing228darkwing228 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    spiritborn wrote: »

Britain uses HMS.

Indeed as far as I know USS is USA only on Earth IRL, since it means "United States Ship", HMS stands for His/Her Majesty's Ship (based on the gender of the Monarch, currently "Her Majesty's Ship" due UK having a ruling Queen).

And most of the old commonwealth countries use various derivatives of HMS for their ships, for example Australia uses HMAS (His/Her Majesty's Australian Ship)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    spiritborn wrote: »

Britain uses HMS.

And most of the old commonwealth countries use various derivatives of HMS for their ships, for example Australia uses HMAS (His/Her Majesty's Australian Ship)

That's because the British monarch is still legally their head of state, even though for all practical purposes the royal governor-general is a ceremonial position. Australian dollar bills still have Queen Elizabeth II on them.
    2016_Australian_five_dollar_note_obverse.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    United Starfleet Ship?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    United Starfleet Ship?

Close. The most common (and semi-canonized) version is indeed "United Starship".​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    In the case of the Excelsior, Galaxy, and Intrepid it stands for 'Ugly Space Ship' and works as a warning to Klingons, Romulans, or any other species with a sense of aesthetics to switch their viewscreen to audio only.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    USS - United Space Ship
    IKS - Imperial Klingon Ship
    RRW - Republic Romulan Warbird
    DV - Dominion Vessel/Vehicle
    ISS - Imperial Space Ship
    IRW - Imperial Romulan Warbird
    VSS - Voth Space Ship

One could do the same for:
    KNS - Kazon Nistrim Ship
    KOS - Kazon Ogla Ship
    LBS - Liberated Borg Ship
    BCV - Borg Collective Vessel

plenty of ship registries, but they are all generically named.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.