test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

📢 The Reddit/Twitter dev tracker thread 📢

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
[Hey All, Kael here, hijacking this very useful post. Consider this a good place to collate anything myself or other developers say on Reddit, Twitter, etc. Thanks!]

As many have figured out, the devs/Kael post far more on reddit and twitter than they do on the official forums. For this reason I am creating this thread to post comments that the devs/Kael make on these other platforms.

Everyone is welcome to help out, so if you see a comment from a dev or Kael on another platform, feel free to post it here.

Also, here is a link to Kael's reddit account where you can see all of his posts including several from today and this week:

https://www.reddit.com/user/ambassadorkael

See the next post for the preferred format for post reddit comments.

For tweets, you can simply post a link the tweet and it will automatically show the tweet without any extra work.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Please use this format for sharing reddit posts:
    I can respond to part of this: as you may have seen on Twitter today, allowing ships to become Cross Faction was an insane, monumental task that involved Jeremy, Jette and Jonathan going through the game's data and modifying *every individual ship by hand.* I honestly still can't believe they pulled it off.

Cross faction teaming and cross faction fleets just make sense. It should be a no brainer. So why haven't we done it yet? Well, this game was designed when the WoW model of MMO was popular, and the original coders never envisioned a time when we'd want to do that. It's hard coded throughout the game that Klingons and Federation are enemies. (And also that they're the only two factions, which is why Roms and Jems have to choose one.) In order to change that, I believe we'd have to not only dive deep into old code, rip everything out and start over, but also modify every single NPC in the entire game. It's possible. It's just not likely.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/l2vt9v/the_way_factional_barriers_are_being_dissolved/gk98yr7/?context=3

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    The costume thing is total bs, there are many tailor hacks that unrestricted items easily.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes, and those hacks can and have caused major graphical issues for the ones using them

i personally don't care about an unrestricted tailor, though i wouldn't mind having it - what i DO care about is an unrestricted and universal COLOR PALETTE​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    I hate how they are playing the fly any ship thing off as anything but a way to force more people to gamble or sell keys.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    The space around ESD and Qo'nos is going to get a lot more cluttered.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Yes, thank you. Especially for those of us banned from Twitter. (Unfortunately it means they won't see my replies I guess.)
    Is that you, Donald? ;)

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    how many people do you think actually follow those rules? and unless you're a famous person, they have neither the ability nor the care to discover otherwise - just use a fake name like i did for both twitter and facebook​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    how many people do you think actually follow those rules? and unless you're a famous person, they have neither the ability nor the care to discover otherwise - just use a fake name like i did for both twitter and facebook​​

except because of all this they now know that IS my name. So if I change it they will know I'm violating the real name policy.

The real issue is why they think my name is not acceptable. I did everything in my power to make it clear that I wasn't an impersonator, just someone who happened to have the same name.

Odd, i just put my second name as my nickname, Gaevs, that's what i preffer anyway...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    gaevsman wrote: »

except because of all this they now know that IS my name. So if I change it they will know I'm violating the real name policy.

The real issue is why they think my name is not acceptable. I did everything in my power to make it clear that I wasn't an impersonator, just someone who happened to have the same name.

Odd, i just put my second name as my nickname, Gaevs, that's what i preffer anyway...

Good for you. If you read what I wrote you would know that I am not in the same situation. I don't have a nickname. The name they won't let me use IS the only one I use in real life. They've effectively imposed two policies which, between them, have left me with no useable name.

According to the Twitter impersonation policy, simply having the same name isn't supposed to get you suspended:

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-impersonation-policy

Idk how long it's been since you tried, but it might be worth appealing again if it matters to you. I personally only use Twitter for giveaways and such.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I mean, look at it! Anniversary just around the corner, but literally no OFFICAL mention of it on their OFFICAL forum.

Pretty sad, isn't it?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It's not a problem except when it comes to this horrible communication from STO: the devs seem to only want to communicate via twitter and reddit. And the reddit STO mods banned me also (for separate reasons). So I can't interact with them at all.
    To be honest, the complete lack of interest the Devs show in the forum, and the obvious absence of the so-called Community Manager from it (beyond posting sloppy copy-paste patch notes), does make me worry for the future of it.

I mean, look at it! Anniversary just around the corner, but literally no OFFICAL mention of it on their OFFICAL forum.

You know what's ironic in all of this?
    The community on Reddit can be, and in fact has been, way more toxic than most of the threads on these forums... and yet, they avoid this one like the plague.
    Is it because here they'd actually have to behave properly? Is it because whatever they say there can be take as "unofficial" while anything that gets written here can't (of course it can, but just for the sake of the argument, let's go with "official forum = everything is official")? Or is it because Reddit is way more visible and they *so* crave the attention?

I have no idea, tbh, and this point I don't even care to understand.
    What I want to understand is how someone that's getting paid to do something gets to keep his job even though he's not doing anything of what he's supposed to do.
    Anyone else would've been kicked out AGES ago. And with good reason!
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    HAHAHA...Did not think people still tweet :D .

Anyways, at least I get more responses directly from reddit STO too.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png