test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Create a reason to visit our bridges!

I don't know why this was never implemented. I would think this would be obvious and not difficult to implement, even now, but why can't there be a reason to visit our ship's bridge and get mission comms on our main viewscreen? It would be so much more immersive and a reason to visit the interiors of out ships.

I made a mockup as an example: https://i.imgur.com/L8ksjNr.png

Comments

• Options
    derekg#1482 derekg Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I like the idea of finding a reason to use the bridge more... but let me play devil's advocate for a minute.

The UI for talking to contacts, even in person, is a pop up window. Changing it to appear on the view screen would be massive change I imagine and definitely not worth the programmer since it doesn't add anything except a gimmick. I can already get missions no matter where I am so this wouldn't be a reason to go to the bridge,

The problem is the bridge/ship interior is like a social hub. Like other social hubs it needs to do something you can't do anywhere else. Spacedock has the tailor, Drozana has the lobi store, etc and you can't just move those features to the ship because they need to remain the reason to go to those places.

Ships also have the benefit of being private so the unique features need to be something you should do in private. The oioneer interior has a shooting range. Ships should be a place to go to so we can test out skills and equipment. If you have ever placey city of heroes think the power house.

I'd like to see...
    A weapons testing firing range
    Ground Combat simulator
    Space firing range
    Space combat simulator

The ground stuff could be a room in the interiors. Like a holodeck for TNG erra interiors, or a 'danger room' for pre TNG ships. The space stuff could be launched from a terminal they add to the captains chair.
  • Options
    snowpiercer#1188 snowpiercer Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Actually, it wouldn't. It is very easy to have the popup open any size and any location the programmer chooses. It would just be a matter of the character sitting in the captain's chair , which could lock the viewing angle on the view screen and they could open it there. It wouldn't be like you could walk around the bridge while the video was up, but this would still be better and wouldn't take 30 minutes to implement.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    May I ask what exactly is your programming experience that you so authoritatively say how easy it would be? Also there's the matter of where would this system be used anyway, on ground personal communicators have been around since TOS, so all on-ground pop-ups would use those like they do currently (the visual part is just an UI element). In-space people would "love" going thru 2 loading screens just for dialogue (1 for space to interior and another for interior to back to space) as the way the game is written at the moment space and ground cannot exist at the same time.

Only place I could see the OP making any sense is mission briefings and even there I'd suspect it would be considered too much busy work.
  • Options
    altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    reason to visit the interiors of out ships.

There are already reasons to visit the bridge - it's where you convert crafting materials into dilithium ore, for example.
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • Options
    snowpiercer#1188 snowpiercer Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    May I ask what exactly is your programming experience that you so authoritatively say how easy it would be? Also there's the matter of where would this system be used anyway, on ground personal communicators have been around since TOS, so all on-ground pop-ups would use those like they do currently (the visual part is just an UI element). In-space people would "love" going thru 2 loading screens just for dialogue (1 for space to interior and another for interior to back to space) as the way the game is written at the moment space and ground cannot exist at the same time.

Only place I could see the OP making any sense is mission briefings and even there I'd suspect it would be considered too much busy work.
    I don't see your point. It isn't confusing and nobody would have to do it. They could just keep doing it the way it is now. And I have enough programming experience to know this. I did some programming on the virtual ride in Underwater World in Australia.

It's like the ship's controls that were backwards for about 7 years before they were finally corrected. That fix would have taken about 2 minutes tops, but it took that long to fix it. You probably don't know what I'm referring to because you are probably right handed, but the pitch controls were reversed. "Pitch Up" was actually down and "Pitch Down" was actually up. Instead of just swapping the two words "Up" and "Down", they were binded by default incorrectly so most people wouldn't notice. When you pressed "W", your ship indeed nosed downward, but that bind was labeled "Pitch Up".

Anyway, I'm talking about one small addition that simply would take the window they have now and relocate it (without the borders) to a position that would appear in front of the captain's chair, appear to be on the viewing screen. The could have the text float beneath it like they do for notifications.

• Options
    the thing is this would really affect anything only when you were on the interior map file. On-ground your character would use the personal communicators so this makes no sense from a lore perspective (nor map design one as the interior is different from other ground maps so you'd have the double load screen issue for each pop-up and you'd respawn at closest check point too).

In space it's a same issue since as I said before your ground character does literally not exist when on space map (and same for your ship when on a ground map). there used to be this rather annoying bug on the Foundry editor where for some reason space maps loaded with the ground movement set, it effected only map the test tool for the editor though but said tool is essentially the main game on a separate test shard with few additional commands added. So this is how things work for normal gameplay too without the bug obviously.

This is also the source of the old bug where you could spawn as your ship on a ground map, so you cannot show your interior on space maps without unloading said map and loading a ground map (with the exception of cutscenes) mainly the interior map for your ship.

and having to go thru 2 loading screens for each space pop-up would not be fun.
  • Options
    fliporicanfliporican Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    The one thing I wish the very least is being about to be on my bridge while my ship travels within the same quadrant. Often when traveling, if you switch to your bridge, then the ship stops and only continues if you return to outside your ship. it would be nice to roam around my ship while it's traveling/moving from one location to another in the quadrant and then getting an alert from a bridge crew that we have arrived. To that affect, although beaming down to a planet is simply, why not force us to use our transporter room on our ships to actually transport? But I support that isn't possible since not all starships in the game, especially non-Starfleet ships don't have a transporter interior. But I like more reasons to make use of our starship interior.
    image.php?name=Sabio&ship=Renaissance&fleet=10th+MACO+Cavalry+Regiment&txtcol=EDE979&fac=fed&spezies=Human&klasse=Starfleet+Tactical+Officer&rank=vadm&image=01
  • Options
    fliporican wrote: »
    The one thing I wish the very least is being about to be on my bridge while my ship travels within the same quadrant. Often when traveling, if you switch to your bridge, then the ship stops and only continues if you return to outside your ship. it would be nice to roam around my ship while it's traveling/moving from one location to another in the quadrant and then getting an alert from a bridge crew that we have arrived. To that affect, although beaming down to a planet is simply, why not force us to use our transporter room on our ships to actually transport? But I support that isn't possible since not all starships in the game, especially non-Starfleet ships don't have a transporter interior. But I like more reasons to make use of our starship interior.

piloting the ship from the bridge has been talked about several times and the main issue is that due the things I explained before the game has no idea "where" your ship is when you're on a ground map (and ship interiors count as a ground map for this purpose) they only know where your ship was when swapped but there's currently no way for the game to track your travel on a space map while your character is on a ground map.

Also forcing players to do busy work is generally a good option, There's a reason why using the transporter happens "off-screen" most the time, it happens so often in the game that it would get really old really fast if walking to the transporter room to use the transporter was mandatory.
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    *puts your RL bathroom on your ship bridge*

Done...