test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Welcome to Starfleet, you Klingons....

Comments

• Options
    tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    In before the pitch forks and long knives.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    No surprise. The Titan bug was a feature. It isn't how I expected them to do it though, a full faction merge. It will be nice to get some of the traits the other side can't easily get from a lot of ships.

However, this has obvious implications for future KDF ships, including the legendaries we've wanted. What is coming there? Are we ever getting more KDF, Rom, Dom designs?

This also makes the 35% ship bundle discount a lot less surprising.

Overall I don't like it. It seems a clear sign they won't be doing cross faction packs any more, and KDF ships will be nearly nonexistent from now on.
  • Options
    misterlozmisterloz Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    At least I'll never have to purchase the KDF's Magic Schoolbus now. This is an extraordinary decision to be sure, but a welcome one
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    No surprise. The Titan bug was a feature. It isn't how I expected them to do it though, a full faction merge. It will be nice to get some of the traits the other side can't easily get from a lot of ships.

However, this has obvious implications for future KDF ships, including the legendaries we've wanted. What is coming there? Are we ever getting more KDF, Rom, Dom designs?

This also makes the 35% ship bundle discount a lot less surprising.

Overall I don't like it. It seems a clear sign they won't be doing cross faction packs any more, and KDF ships will be nearly nonexistent from now on.

Agreed.
    And since there's nothing to be done, the only thing I can say is: I'm happy for those that were waiting for it but, personally, I think this just signed the death sentence for the Klingons.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2021
    Most of my Klingons, still largely prefer flying Klingon ships, as do my Federation Captains fly Fed. I think the biggest advantage is for new players, as it expands options for Starship Trait's.

I'll still look for Federation, Klingon, or Romulan ships, especially when they have Faction Interior's, along with other nice benefits. Especially if I like the design of the Ship, and how it operates or flies.

Everyone likes new Ships to fly, or that have new Materials, or Appearance -- And I think they've done a good job continuing to introduce ship's from all Factions, even if Federation ships appear a bit more often. They also represent the largest % of the player base, but hopefully this change will also see more willing to start a KDF during the Recruitment event we're still waiting to learn more about.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11483293-the-klingon-empire-is-recruiting
    ▪T6 Scaling Bird-Of-Prey (Recruit and Account – See Below for More Details) --above in this case.
    ╙ Seems nice thing to do, especially for new players, to give another choice aside from the new Alliance Vessel.

o:)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    If you think we're gonna get anything but Federation ships with the occasional lockbox/promo ship from any other faction - something exceptional, coming from either Discovery or Picard - then I hope you're right... but I don't believe that for one second.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Big thing is now if a KDF player wants the DPRM Console they gotta pay full ship price.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I'd rather Risa be opened up to the Klingons off-Summer Event Season, which was something I was asking for since the faction boundaries came down for the Galactic Map.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    Welcome to the Empire. Qapla'!'

To quote Khan Noonien Singh in The Wrath of Khan: "We're one big happy fleet!" 😉

Despite some details I don't see this as the dreaded (by some) faction merge.

/sidebar: The apostrophe in Qo'noS is in the wrong place.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I am curious to know if that actually includes uniforms. Some more KDF sashes for Fed's would be very welcome. A unified color pallet would be greatly appreciated as well. I would love the Korath parts for some of my Fed's!
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    This is wonderful! I am stoked!
    My first question is whether we can now use Fed interiors with KDF ships. My Orion and Alien captains don't like that red-light Klingon interior decor.

AND I just got an Infinity T6 ship box with my 5 free keys yesterday. This means my KDF captain can choose and fly a Crossfield or a Mirror Warship!

Oh, I am so excited, I got half a woodie <3<3:p
  • Options
    madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    Removing the cross faction packs is garbage. I would rather have those than the ability to fly fed ships.
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    With essentially no PvP in this game, the 2 factions were mostly pointless. This is the only logical thing to do. Does this mean their homeworlds are accessible to other factions too?
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Can't say I'm a big fan of this change. Would've rather had earned Lockbox/Promotional Ships being made account wide instead.

Granted, I am curious as to whether or not this means Captains will be able to use the Veteran "Captain's Yacht" type ships that originally were faction restricted.
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    maximum343maximum343 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Do we have any information about the trait and gear boxes from the other factions? Can a Starfleet Captain buy parts of the KDF Gear boxes from the exchange? So like for example this set https://sto.gamepedia.com/Synergistic_Retrofitting_Set#Console_-_Universal_-_Dynamic_Power_Redistributor_Module

Is pretty expensive for FED since some parts are only obtainable with a lockbox ship while KDF can buy the "Dynamic Power Redistributor Module" from a console pack.

So can FED captains soon also buy and use these from the exchange or are these still faction-locked?
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    In general I welcome this change. However...

I fear that this could only mean that Cryptic is going to stop designing Romulan, KDF, and Dominion ships. From now on we will only see Fed ships, "alien/enemy ships" (from lock/promo boxes), and ships that appear in the new shows. I hope I am wrong and I will eventually see a T6 Ha'nom.
  • Options
    maximum343 wrote: »
    Do we have any information about the trait and gear boxes from the other factions? Can a Starfleet Captain buy parts of the KDF Gear boxes from the exchange? So like for example this set https://sto.gamepedia.com/Synergistic_Retrofitting_Set#Console_-_Universal_-_Dynamic_Power_Redistributor_Module

Is pretty expensive for FED since some parts are only obtainable with a lockbox ship while KDF can buy the "Dynamic Power Redistributor Module" from a console pack.

So can FED captains soon also buy and use these from the exchange or are these still faction-locked?

As the article clearly states: no. The existing packs will still be useable, but no new ones will be made available.
    So now we're all gonna have to pay a fortune for them unless we already unlocked them through packs.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll remove the tier 6 mastery from the Jem'Hadar Vanguard ships.

I wouldn't think so, as the Dominion likely wants to protect it's ships, ensuring one Jem Hadar who's willing to vouch for the Alliance. Still that's a relatively minor inconvenience.
    I'd rather Risa be opened up to the Klingons off-Summer Event Season, which was something I was asking for since the faction boundaries came down for the Galactic Map.

I've never had a problem taking my Klingon to Risa, even when the event wasn't on.
    garaffe wrote: »
    In general I welcome this change. However...

I fear that this could only mean that Cryptic is going to stop designing Romulan, KDF, and Dominion ships. From now on we will only see Fed ships, "alien/enemy ships" (from lock/promo boxes), and ships that appear in the new shows. I hope I am wrong and I will eventually see a T6 Ha'nom.

We'll always see new ships of various factions at various intervals, and despite Discovery having revealed several new Klingon and Federation designs. Picard has a preference for Romulan and Federation, but as Season 2 starts doesn't mean we won't see Klingons introduced either. So a good split. Also realize that Strange New Worlds with Pike & Spock also be a new Series starting, and will also likely have Klingon Ships shown as well. <3

Though I think we've also seen Dev's show several new Dominion designs too. I've always found they strike a fair balance.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    poseidolonposeidolon Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Can't say I'm a big fan of this change. Would've rather had earned Lockbox/Promotional Ships being made account wide instead.

Granted, I am curious as to whether or not this means Captains will be able to use the Veteran "Captain's Yacht" type ships that originally were faction restricted.

Seconded
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Great news. Finally!
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    A resounding /meh

:|

(seriously, did anyone ask for this?)
  • Options
    This is a net loss for KDF. We aren't going to get more ships and we lost access for the cross faction packs.
  • Options
    mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    So why still have FACTIONS?
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    All this says is that KDF/Fed can now fly each-other's ships provided you get a KDF toon to level 65 (or already have one at that level).

This does NOT address the issue of cross-faction teaming outside of Private queues, access to each-other's homeworlds (Sol/Qo'nos), make any mention of KDF fleets joining Fed Armadas (and vice-versa), or mention anything regarding unlocking currently restricted faction-only uniforms.

This MIGHT be a first step in that direction, but I highly doubt Cryptic will take this any further.

We'll see, though.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/l2rw2l/command_any_ship_star_trek_online/gk7lbi0/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

That doesn't refute what the guy correctly said. We won't be getting any more ships out of this "deal" than usual. The platitude at the end is nothing the kdf hasn't seen before. Not to mention the loss of cross faction packs that were a boon to the kdf. People will make their token kdf recruitment character then abandon them and the faction in droves.
  • Options
    madmopar wrote: »
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/l2rw2l/command_any_ship_star_trek_online/gk7lbi0/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

That doesn't refute what the guy correctly said. We won't be getting any more ships out of this "deal" than usual. The platitude at the end is nothing the kdf hasn't seen before. Not to mention the loss of cross faction packs that were a boon to the kdf. People will make their token kdf recruitment character then abandon them and the faction in droves.

Just let it go, my friend.
    It's not worth trying to make him see what's right in front of his eyes.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Big thing is now if a KDF player wants the DPRM Console they gotta pay full ship price.
    It also applies to things like the Superior Area Denial and Ceaseless Momentum traits. Those are about to become a LOT less accessible. Furthermore, as T6 ship drop rates are extremely unlikely to be improved as compensation, Infinity Boxs will be a lot less appealing to open(traits are probably the main thing I personally like to get out of them). Sad news.

They really should consider doing the inverse and adding a (rare) pick-your-trait item; there's a bunch of traits that are interesting, but I have zero interest in the ships they come with. 300-400 lobi for lobi ship traits; as rare as T5 ship packs in infinity boxes.
This discussion has been closed.