test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't SEE.

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Lower the fx slider to the minimum, there.. no more effects..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Lower the fx slider to the minimum, there.. no more effects..

Fake news.

Already do, it barely does anything, and does very little to the screen flashes which bother me the most out of all the effects.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, lowering the effects slider does not reduce the number of visual effects, it just lowers the rendering quality of those effects. Sadly, there is no method currently for players to reduce the visual spam and despite what Cryptic has said in the past, their actions have demonstrated a firm commitment to continue the space vomit going forward.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Are the top 5 screen barf clickies from events? I'd have classed the swirly badlands plasma funnel thing and the red & black honest guv its not another grav well to be contenders for the top spots
    Are the top 5 screen barf clickies from events? I'd have classed the swirly badlands plasma funnel thing and the red & black honest guv its not another grav well to be contenders for the top spots

Not all, but many. The Risian Weather Control Vessel is all the proof you need of Cryptic's focus on keeping your screen as poluted as possible, that trait and console are very flashy, The Beacon of Kahless is probably the worst offender in the game, it was free.. there are a few others. The Plasma Funnel from the Maquis Raider is one good example of a fairly expensive item that causes a great amount of Vomit. It's pretty mixed, some sources are free, some c-store, some lobi/promo.. but Cryptic has been sure to put plenty of Vomit everywhere in the game and show no sign of slowing that down anytime soon.
    edited January 2021
    And it looks like the new Temer Class Raider will once again continue this visual vomit trend. Check out the Console and the trait, more big flashy balls.. just like the Risian Ship.

Players may not like it, but despite anything they may say, Cryptic is making a concerted effort to continue the visual vomit and keep the screen as 'flashy' as possible. It's only going to get worse once everyone gets their shiny new Anniversary Ship.
  • evilspokevilspok Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Yeah, lowering the effects slider does not reduce the number of visual effects, it just lowers the rendering quality of those effects. Sadly, there is no method currently for players to reduce the visual spam and despite what Cryptic has said in the past, their actions have demonstrated a firm commitment to continue the space vomit going forward.

Which is probably why people are getting more annoyed with it and "vocal" and "aggressive" about it. We've made our opinion on it clear for what? 5 years?
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I vaguely remember reading a post on Reddit from one of the devs, ('cause of course they'd go on Reddit), about how it's "more complicated than it looks" because "every effect should be changed manually" or something to that effect.
    Take it with a grain of salt, because it's only a vague memory... but to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Look at what they claim it took for every ship to be made usable by every one, or the work needed to be done to allow for the I.S.S. prefix to be usable on every ship: they had to go in and "change every ship in the game by hand" - honestly, does ANYONE working for Cryptic even know what a database is, or what queries are?!

All in all, tho, I'm afraid our complaints will always fall on deaf ears. A change like this would make them no money, and as such it will never be taken into consideration.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading a post on Reddit from one of the devs, ('cause of course they'd go on Reddit), about how it's "more complicated than it looks" because "every effect should be changed manually" or something to that effect.
    Take it with a grain of salt, because it's only a vague memory... but to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Look at what they claim it took for every ship to be made usable by every one, or the work needed to be done to allow for the I.S.S. prefix to be usable on every ship: they had to go in and "change every ship in the game by hand" - honestly, does ANYONE working for Cryptic even know what a database is, or what queries are?!

All in all, tho, I'm afraid our complaints will always fall on deaf ears. A change like this would make them no money, and as such it will never be taken into consideration.

Okay...to be fair to the current Cryptic devs, this could be issue with how the engine was set up as they are using a custom made engine and the people who worked on that is all no longer there.

Fair enough, but that would still mean that they are NOT working with databases, because if they are and they ain't using queries for mass editing then... it's their own damn fault and the engine is not responsible for it.
    Also how about the requests to minimize the NEW visual vomits? That would save them money in graphic artist dev time. The Risian weather machine says that the screen vomit is an active choice more than they can't be bothered cuz money.

If I remember correctly, it's all connected: they can't remove it OR reduce it because it would mean modifying every effect on its own.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I used to play this game on a potatoe and never understood what people where on about. Recently got an all singing, all dancing laptop and I must admit some TFOs need an epilepsy warning.

Okay...to be fair to the current Cryptic devs, this could be issue with how the engine was set up as they are using a custom made engine and the people who worked on that is all no longer there.
    That's not even a problem with Cryptic, thats just a problem of games not being set up that way.

I've modded games as far back as Baldur's Gate. And I can tell you, there wasn't some folder, or some excel doc, you could just open up and slap a "50% less effects" line on and it just worked. If you wanted to edit an effect, or a sprite, you did it one by one.

The same thing is true of things like weapon stats, or in STO's case, ship permissions. There is no single database that has every single ship permission, or weapon stats, in it. They are all part of the individual items, and thus, need to be edited manually.

ROFL. Nice try.
    kv1Ohsx.png

That's not even a problem with Cryptic, thats just a problem of games not being set up that way.

I've modded games as far back as Baldur's Gate. And I can tell you, there wasn't some folder, or some excel doc, you could just open up and slap a "50% less effects" line on and it just worked. If you wanted to edit an effect, or a sprite, you did it one by one.

The same thing is true of things like weapon stats, or in STO's case, ship permissions. There is no single database that has every single ship permission, or weapon stats, in it. They are all part of the individual items, and thus, need to be edited manually.

I'm sorry...but are you comparing modding with professional coding practices?!? Modders generally speaking don't have access to database queries. You have access to the game database...but modding and working on the game directly are two completely different things. For instance, when I was working as a programmer and I needed to modify all spell damage by 50%, I would have a database of abilities with a type category of say melee, ranged, spells and I could do a query run for spells and than have it modify that by 50%. Once the game is finished and pushed to you the modder, you DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO MY DATASE QUERY system. Which means you would have to open up the database and search for the spells abilities and change them one by one. I as the programmer working on the game do not...assuming I am not a moron. Which these Cryptic devs in the past might have been...if not...than the current ones are morons.

Exactly. So for them to say that they have to modify all these things by hand, item by item, means one of two things:
    a) the original developing team was out of their collective mind and just decided "nah, you know what? Imma create a single script for every single object in the game so that when I need to change one of these objects in the future I will have to change all the existing ones by hand, one by one!";
    b) they aren't working how they're supposed to, which is through the use of queries that were invented SPECIFICALLY to allow the editing - or even the removal - of multiple entries at once. Because programmers are crazy sometimes, but not THAT crazy.

Now, is it possible for a query to not be as optimized as it could be? Yes, absolutely. But there's a big difference between a non optimized query and a non existent one.
    kv1Ohsx.png

westmetals wrote: »

I'm sorry...but are you comparing modding with professional coding practices?!? Modders generally speaking don't have access to database queries. You have access to the game database...but modding and working on the game directly are two completely different things. For instance, when I was working as a programmer and I needed to modify all spell damage by 50%, I would have a database of abilities with a type category of say melee, ranged, spells and I could do a query run for spells and than have it modify that by 50%. Once the game is finished and pushed to you the modder, you DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO MY DATASE QUERY system. Which means you would have to open up the database and search for the spells abilities and change them one by one. I as the programmer working on the game do not...assuming I am not a moron. Which these Cryptic devs in the past might have been...if not...than the current ones are morons.

Depends heavily on the game. I used to be involved with modding Civilization II and we had enough access to change the names and graphics of units, their combat stats, costs, prerequisite techs... oh and we also had access to change all the techs, too... etc. It was literally possible to change a spear-carrying militia unit into a Panzer division.

Cold's point remain, though: as a modder you do not have the same access to the game database as a programmer would.
    Does that mean that you can't change stuff around? Of course not, as you just explained yourself.
    I used to mod ME, but I did not have the same access BioWare's devs had. Even now you can, with the proper tool, go in and change the config to, for example, change the Mattock from semi to auto, or to change the approval level of this or that companion. Hell, you can even change what outfit you're wearing in the opening scenes.
    Another wonderful example for modding "freedom", so to speak, is the Elder Scroll. Or any game that allows you to change things through the in-game console, (though of course console commands are not as encompassing as mods can be).

But the point remain: you can have a lot of access to the game files and database(s), more than enough to allow you to mode this and that thing, but that doesn't mean that you have access to *everything*.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Two things I can think of that Cryptic could do is 1. nerf the TRIBBLE that vomits this stuff out, so people will stop using it. and 2. stop making visual vomit in the first place. That should take care of it, but hey, Crypitc WILL NOT EVER listen to the complaints from people getting their eyeballs seared out of their heads.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    1. the OP never mentioned Uber DPSers in his original post and then the Uber DPSers all attack, while they profess they never attack or think the are oh, so superior, and try to defend themselves by saying how magnanimous they are in "Helping" other players. skimming through the forum I see a lot more of the same DPSers ridiculing and attacking, helping? not so much.

To paraphrase the Bard, "Methinks the player doth protest too much"

2 as far as the OP's issue, what I would like to see, is, and I will use a Gravity Well for example, The full effect that appears for, say 1/2 second, then a ring describing the area of effect, while the effect shrinks down to something along the lines of 1/2inch on the screen, maybe less, and is there for the duration. For the Beacon, the border of the screen goes white, kind of like some games go red on the edges as you lose health.
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.