test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A New Appreciation for the Kelvin Timeline

jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
edited January 2021 in Ten Forward
STO has a habit of making previously "meh" Trek into a favorite. The Kelvin Timeline like DISCO I really got into thanks to the game. The Kelvin Enterprise honestly has grown on me and while my new favorite starship is the Crossfield, my new favorite Enterprise is the "2009" Enterprise. Star Trek Beyond's Enterprise is ugly I will grant you but 09' and the ENT-A.K as I call it are gorgeous designs. I was lucky enough to get a T6 ship prize pack the other day ( I actually got two, I sold the other box). It functions great, I hate the Kelvin Phasers but COVERT Phasers work in a pinch. Essentially they are red with TOS sound. The bridge seriously is something that has to been seen to believe. A real treat. As for the Kelvin Timeline itself, IDW does a great comic series where it follows the "5 year missions" between movies. Everything from the Mirror Universe to a round with the Borg (it echo's a certain TNG episode, spoiler). Seriously they are worth checking out. Plus check out a gem like this:

latest?cb=20160121020910&path-prefix=en

Oh...JJ, you had potential gold....you just didn't know how to handle it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
Post edited by jake477 on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    jake477 wrote: »

Oh...JJ, you had potential gold....you just didn't know how to handle it.

That pretty much sums up Abram's projects, a lot of potentially good ideas but less than stellar results. He must be pushing the record for one season wonders for instance.

What he calls the "magic box" technique is actually rather difficult to pull off and he does it extremely well in projects where it is the driving force (like Lost), but where he falls flat is his "steal from the best" theory since unfortunately he tends to steal from the hokiest instead. That or he "steals" from the wrong source (like stealing from A New Hope to use in The Force Awakens which made the movie seem almost like a bad remake instead of a sequel).

I think the third Kelvin movie, despite the action hero nonsense, was the best of the bunch and closer to classic Star Trek than the others (closer than DSC too for that matter) but now that CBS has it, if they make any more of them they will probably diverge again.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    the Kelvin timeline is interesting and apparently part of the canon multiverse, the Terminal Expanse mission and Season three of Discovery confirms that it exists despite it being it's own thing, however I'm not sure if we share the same Mirrorverse with the Kelvin Timeline, I also noticed that Krall from Star Trek Beyond looks like a Disco Klingon.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I think the third Kelvin movie, despite the action hero nonsense, was the best of the bunch and closer to classic Star Trek than the others (closer than DSC too for that matter) but now that CBS has it, if they make any more of them they will probably diverge again.

Well... Both Justin Lin and Simon Pegg are Trek fans.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    the Kelvin timeline is interesting and apparently part of the canon multiverse, the Terminal Expanse mission and Season three of Discovery confirms that it exists despite it being it's own thing, however I'm not sure if we share the same Mirrorverse with the Kelvin Timeline, I also noticed that Krall from Star Trek Beyond looks like a Disco Klingon.

A slight problem with the Terminal Expanse mission is that it states that "In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one (Kelvin Timeline)" which means Spock and Nero travelled to another universe. While the common perception of Star Trek 2009 is that Nero travelled back in time and created the Kelvin Timeline through his actions.

I prefer the STO explanation since this form of pseudo-Time Travel doesn't create paradoxes and it doesn't remove the necessity of fixing the timeline in various Star Trek episodes and First Contact. Why does Picard and his crew need to stop the Borg Queen from assimilating 21st Century Earth when the Borg Queen just created a new timeline and Picard's Timeline is just fine?
    starkaos wrote: »

A slight problem with the Terminal Expanse mission is that it states that "In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one (Kelvin Timeline)" which means Spock and Nero travelled to another universe. While the common perception of Star Trek 2009 is that Nero travelled back in time and created the Kelvin Timeline through his actions.

I prefer the STO explanation since this form of pseudo-Time Travel doesn't create paradoxes and it doesn't remove the necessity of fixing the timeline in various Star Trek episodes and First Contact. Why does Picard and his crew need to stop the Borg Queen from assimilating 21st Century Earth when the Borg Queen just created a new timeline and Picard's Timeline is just fine?

Alternate Timelines might be a side effect of throwing a red matter bomb into a supernova star, who's willing to replicate the procedure, you're welcome to try but you might die slowly and horribly since travelling through both alternate universes and alternate time periods seem to mess with your atoms like Georgiou.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User

I take it you're not familiar with the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum physics. Mathematically, there's no real reason to favor one result of any given quantum-level interaction over another; this has led some physicists to propose that every time such a reaction occurs, both (or all, if more than two possible outcomes) result, in alternate worldlines. In short, every time anything happens, all possible responses occur, forming an ever-branching tree of timelines, each of which becomes a universe in itself. Fun part is, this is more philosophy than physics, as there's no way known to prove or disprove this - we can't visit alternate worlds, nor can we reverse entropy and observe all possible outcomes.

The "incident" referred to was the temporal incursion of both Nero and Spock. It caused a massive ripple, much more significant in nature than the relative direction of emission of the gamma rays in a positron/electron collision, that altered major historical events, resulting in another quantum reality. It did not exist before the incursion; how could it, when its cause had not yet occurred? (Of course, that means that it came into being about the same time as Jim Kirk was born, so it did exist beginning in the middle of the 23rd century, but not before that.) Had Spock succeeded in stopping Nero in the 24th century, the Kelvin timeline would never have come into existence, because the event that triggered it would never have happened. (On the third hand, by the same interpretation it must come into existence there/then, because there's always a timeline in which Spock failed and both the Jellyfish and the Nerada were swept backtime. And now you know why the existence of the Burroughs-Carter Continua Device led inevitably to the founding of the Council of Ouroborous in Heinlein's last few novels.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    latest?cb=20180616163412

I... am just going to smile, nod, eat my popcorn, and go brain dead for a minute.

I hate temporal mechanics. A trait I gave my main when it comes to time travel.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    jonsills wrote: »

I take it you're not familiar with the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum physics. Mathematically, there's no real reason to favor one result of any given quantum-level interaction over another; this has led some physicists to propose that every time such a reaction occurs, both (or all, if more than two possible outcomes) result, in alternate worldlines. In short, every time anything happens, all possible responses occur, forming an ever-branching tree of timelines, each of which becomes a universe in itself. Fun part is, this is more philosophy than physics, as there's no way known to prove or disprove this - we can't visit alternate worlds, nor can we reverse entropy and observe all possible outcomes.

The "incident" referred to was the temporal incursion of both Nero and Spock. It caused a massive ripple, much more significant in nature than the relative direction of emission of the gamma rays in a positron/electron collision, that altered major historical events, resulting in another quantum reality. It did not exist before the incursion; how could it, when its cause had not yet occurred? (Of course, that means that it came into being about the same time as Jim Kirk was born, so it did exist beginning in the middle of the 23rd century, but not before that.) Had Spock succeeded in stopping Nero in the 24th century, the Kelvin timeline would never have come into existence, because the event that triggered it would never have happened. (On the third hand, by the same interpretation it must come into existence there/then, because there's always a timeline in which Spock failed and both the Jellyfish and the Nerada were swept backtime. And now you know why the existence of the Burroughs-Carter Continua Device led inevitably to the founding of the Council of Ouroborous in Heinlein's last few novels.)

But that is not what the Terminal Expanse mission is saying. If Spock stopped Nero in the 24th Century, the Kelvin Timeline would still exist since the Kelvin Timeline was not created in the 23rd Century, but billions of years ago. The Kelvin Timeline would just be another universe that is similar to the Prime Universe with Vulcan not being destroyed, Khan's crew not used as missiles, and Kirk not being promoted from Cadet to Captain in hours.
    the Prime timeline might even be a paradox of a sort, whose to say that the bad present of Yesterday's Enterprise isn't the original timeline and that sending the Enterprise C back in time created a new timeline, if the C wasn't sent back then the star trek universe we know wouldn't exist.

But that is not what the Terminal Expanse mission is saying. If Spock stopped Nero in the 24th Century, the Kelvin Timeline would still exist since the Kelvin Timeline was not created in the 23rd Century, but billions of years ago. The Kelvin Timeline would just be another universe that is similar to the Prime Universe with Vulcan not being destroyed, Khan's crew not used as missiles, and Kirk not being promoted from Cadet to Captain in hours.

You are both right, the way that part of the theory works is that essentially the Kelvin universe was caused by the actions in the 24th century, but once created always existed. Weirdness like that is one of the reasons quantum theory does not sit well with a lot of scientists who like to discount it as mathematical straw grasping. Whatever the real world truth is, Star Trek has embraced quantum theory like that as shown in quite a few episodes sprinkled around the various series so as far as story is concerned it is "real" enough for the setting.

You are both right, the way that part of the theory works is that essentially the Kelvin universe was caused by the actions in the 24th century, but once created always existed. Weirdness like that is one of the reasons quantum theory does not sit well with a lot of scientists who like to discount it as mathematical straw grasping. Whatever the real world truth is, Star Trek has embraced quantum theory like that as shown in quite a few episodes sprinkled around the various series so as far as story is concerned it is "real" enough for the setting.

That might be the case with the common perception of the Kelvin Timeline, but not with what is said in the Terminal Expanse mission. According to the Terminal Expanse mission, Nero visited the Kelvin Timeline through a quantum rift, but he did not create it. So the Terminal Expanse mission contradicts the common perception that Nero created the Kelvin Timeline through his actions.

That might be the case with the common perception of the Kelvin Timeline, but not with what is said in the Terminal Expanse mission. According to the Terminal Expanse mission, Nero visited the Kelvin Timeline through a quantum rift, but he did not create it. So the Terminal Expanse mission contradicts the common perception that Nero created the Kelvin Timeline through his actions.

It would not be the first time a later show made an error concerning something in an earlier show, and DSC does not have a good track record in that regard anyway, to say the least.

And it may not even be an error, it could just be the point of view of the speaker. The realworld TV viewers might know that the Hobus (or whatever) subspace supernova and the actions of Nero and Spock in reaction to it were the quantum trigger for the Kelvin timeline, but to the fictional people in the universe(s) involved they would only see the part of the quantum paradox in which it always existed.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I really like the Kelvin movies. I put them above the TNG movies. Only WOK and UC are better IMO.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.