test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic take ship name restrictions way too far.

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
Wanted to rename my ship Asgard after the mythological Norse home of the Gods. But the system told me the name contained restricted words. SMH
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    Fascinating.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    They also lock out canon ship names for the most part. Otherwise we'd have 50 million Defiants, Voyagers, and Enterprises. Not that that stops people from getting creative to get those names anyways. They also locked out Titan. However Discovery is not locked out.

As for Asgard... that kinda seems odd as we can name ships Challenger, despite the existance of La Forge's ship in game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    They also lock out canon ship names for the most part. Otherwise we'd have 50 million Defiants, Voyagers, and Enterprises. Not that that stops people from getting creative to get those names anyways. They also locked out Titan. However Discovery is not locked out.

As for Asgard... that kinda seems odd as we can name ships Challenger, despite the existance of La Forge's ship in game.

I would not call creativity finding a way to name "Enterprise" a ship... i work to get original names for my ships... they are mine, after all.. but oh, wel..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    That's a REAL stretch on a name restriction.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Not only does the Challenger exist in game, it’s actually one of the ships orbiting ESD. I was also surprised that it was an allowed name.
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I would not call creativity finding a way to name "Enterprise" a ship... i work to get original names for my ships... they are mine, after all.. but oh, wel..

Man, I couldn’t agree more. I never understood why someone would even want to name their ship ‘Enterprise’ in the first place. The Enterprise is an iconic ship.. it’s story and it’s legacy are set. I would think that players would want to have a unique name to forge their own story, make their own legacy (well, as much as the game allows anyway.) I have never had any desire to name my ship the same as one of the ‘hero ships’ from the show.

Honestly, I would be happy if they would just let me give two or more of my own ships the same names as long as they have a different registry number. I had a character for example that flew the U.S.S. Vigilant, and when I upgraded ships I wanted to name them the A, the B, the C.. etc. In order to do that, I had to go back and rename the previous ship to unlock the name for my new ship even though they had unique registry numbers.

Yeah, it’s a small thing, the work around took me all of 10 seconds.. but still it’s a slight annoyance. Asgard is a name that absolutely should be unlocked.. that is just plain silly. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User

I guess the restricted name list doesn't get revisited much to remove unneeded names.

The game's been going a very long time - policies on restricted names might well have changed over the years, and maybe the current policy is not to restrict as much?
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Man, I couldn’t agree more. I never understood why someone would even want to name their ship ‘Enterprise’ in the first place. The Enterprise is an iconic ship.. it’s story and it’s legacy are set. I would think that players would want to have a unique name to forge their own story, make their own legacy (well, as much as the game allows anyway.) I have never had any desire to name my ship the same as one of the ‘hero ships’ from the show.

Honestly, I would be happy if they would just let me give two or more of my own ships the same names as long as they have a different registry number. I had a character for example that flew the U.S.S. Vigilant, and when I upgraded ships I wanted to name them the A, the B, the C.. etc. In order to do that, I had to go back and rename the previous ship to unlock the name for my new ship even though they had unique registry numbers.

Yeah, it’s a small thing, the work around took me all of 10 seconds.. but still it’s a slight annoyance. Asgard is a name that absolutely should be unlocked.. that is just plain silly. :lol:

I'm guessing people want latch on to that legacy thinking it'll make their characters better, now personally I don't do it Mirwast's ship is named after her homeworld and the rest of my characters have either themed names (like Siren's Song for my Orion engineer) or generic game generated names.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Anyone can name their ship Enterprize, or Defient, or Voyageer, but very few people do. I don't buy it for a second that unrestricted naming would lead to anything close to what you describe.

• Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User

Anyone can name their ship Enterprize, or Defient, or Voyageer, but very few people do. I don't buy it for a second that unrestricted naming would lead to anything close to what you describe.

You know that is baloney, I see it every time I log, there is an Enterprize, Defiants, Voyeger, or some other "misspelled" variant. I really do not care if the player wants to take part in that legacy, but CBS does. Apparently, Reliant is a part of that name restriction too.
  • Options
    eldarion79 wrote: »

You know that is baloney, I see it every time I log, there is an Enterprize, Defiants, Voyeger, or some other "misspelled" variant. I really do not care if the player wants to take part in that legacy, but CBS does. Apparently, Reliant is a part of that name restriction too.

The claim was millions, and yes I know its exaggerated and I don't take millions literally, yet it is the simple notion that they would be everywhere, possibly the majority.

I have definitely seen the Enterprizes too, but they don't number anywhere close to a majority, plurality, nor even that common really. I can't say I've ever seen more than one in any place at a time.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    If you knew I was exagurating the numbers, why are you arguing over it? That doesn't make sense to me.

The point I was trying to make was that even with the restrictions, people find ways to do it anyways.

I'm like a lot of people who try to come up with other names. My main's ship is named Melchiott, after the character I'm using as a forum avatar Alicia Melchiott from Valkyria Chronicles. Before that it was the Lexington-A, the same ship in my forum sig.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have to agree, names like 'Enterprise' have to be restricted. Given the number of ships I see with a 'clever' misspelling of the name, I would agree that if unrestricted, there would be 'Enterprise' ships everywhere. The majority? no.. enough to be insanely common? most certainly.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited January 2021

it irks me to see ships with the same name as mine.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    I find it is so much more fun to name my ships after various groups. Like my main, every ship's name is taken from people who worked, behind the scenes making Star Trek. So one ship is named Okuda, another Sternbach. On another, a female SCI, every ship has a name of a lady scientist, either actual history on seen on a Star Trek episode, example - USS SELAR.

For me, it's more fun to think about this even before I generate my Captain. :grin:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    If you knew I was exagurating the numbers, why are you arguing over it? That doesn't make sense to me.

The point I was trying to make was that even with the restrictions, people find ways to do it anyways.

I'm like a lot of people who try to come up with other names. My main's ship is named Melchiott, after the character I'm using as a forum avatar Alicia Melchiott from Valkyria Chronicles. Before that it was the Lexington-A, the same ship in my forum sig.

Why would I not argue with the point if I disagree with it? With obvious exaggeration, the reasonable thing to do is to take your argument seriously, not literally. Otherwise I could just spout an inane "fact check: false, 50 million people don't even play STO." So distilling your argument down it means you expect to see a dramatic number of Enterprises everywhere. I'm not sure what that would mean, but my point is simply that I see no reason to believe we would see any more than we do Enterprizes now.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    Wanted to rename my ship Asgard after the mythological Norse home of the Gods. But the system told me the name contained restricted words. SMH

Throw in another letter somewhere and it'll probably work (don't do this for anything that would be considered profane though). For Asgard you could try adding an extra R, misspelling it as 'Asguard' or 'Asqard', etc. It won't be perfect, but if you're dead set on that name and don't mind a little imperfection it's an option.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    My first character I named my ship Saratoga, after the real life ships and (mainly) the 'home' ship in Space: Above and Beyond. It wasn't until I hit the since-deleted (I think) mission where you travel back in time thanks to Q, that I realised it was the name of Sisko's old ship.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »

Throw in another letter somewhere and it'll probably work (don't do this for anything that would be considered profane though). For Asgard you could try adding an extra R, misspelling it as 'Asguard' or 'Asqard', etc. It won't be perfect, but if you're dead set on that name and don't mind a little imperfection it's an option.

Added -A to the name and that was accepted
This discussion has been closed.