test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

High DPS players need a new place to whale in public ques...

johnl75johnl75 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
This has and i guess will always be an issue. Game keeps releasing new ways for players to advance into higher and more absurd levels of dps.

As with any game i understand the need for this. But at the same time public ques are not being looked at/changed enough so it doesn't impact

gameplay for players that do not employ ships/builds that are what is known as "Meta". More often than not, you will que for a Advance public que.

"Space", and will encounter a team with at least 1 if not more players that will be vaporizing everything. Now many will argue hey its that much

faster we get our rewards and move on. Others will argue, "I bought this ship and it requires me to "Do a specific thing". Like for instance lock on

to a target for a set amount of time so a particular skill can be used. Or, i enjoy playing a more tank like role in a team environment. but because

this player(s) are vaporizing everything the time/money i invested in my ship is waisted/not needed. There are many more examples. But bottom

line. If the game is going to allow for yet higher and higher levels and forms of DPS, So the "Meta" Stays happy... Then you also need to look at the

impact they have on other things and players that may not quite be at that point yet. Or, went a totally different direction in playstyle resulting in

lost enjoyment or waisted time money and effort because how/what they play doesn't fall in line with... "Go in and delete everything with 1

keystroke gameplay". I call on Cryptic, Devs, and any other people involved to add, adjust, change public ques. Maybe add a new level of gameplay

between advance and elite. Giving the more advanced players a place to go that isn't quite elite. Point to all of this is for everyone to have fun. The

whales certainly are getting that. But that guy or lady that wants to enjoy all that STO has to offer and enjoy playstyles of various forms get told you

don't matter. But we will continue to sell you ships, skills, items that contribute and promote various gameplay formats. Its up to you. Im certainly

happy keeping my wallet in my pocket. The refined dilithium i get daily is enough to cover what little i would do in game. If i knew i could launch a

public que and most likely not see 1 or 2 players vaporizing things... Would i be encouraged to spend my money on things:? Most likely yes... But

when i cant play what i have atm publicly and enjoy it because players are too Op and things are just destroyed way too fast. Spending is well kinda

a moot point, when what im provided in game with dilithium refine handles my needs... (Evenly spaced now for those that cant read a wall of text :P)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    The wall of text approach makes it really, really hard to read this.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • lordconn#9249 lordconn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    My response to "whaling" has always been to avoid PvP like the bubonic plague. The only time I enter PvP is when an endevour demands it, and then I happily get my TRIBBLE kicked, collect my points, and get back to PvE as quickly as possible. I take the same approach to guild drama. I simply don't join any fleets. Problem solved. Fortunately, STO is among the few games where you can avoid interacting with "power players" completely and still experience almost everything in the game. Similarly, I don't use real money in game, with the one exception being a (heavily discounted) lifetime membership. I don't need them to change the game for me. I just adapt to the game so I can play as I like. My only real beef is that you can't play a KDF associated Ferengi. But I don't worry about it much.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Okay so, skimming the wall of text, it seems consistent with the title. Generally the complaint seems to bet the fact that hyper DPS players end up in queues destroying everything to the point that OP can't enjoy it.

I agree it is a problem. You can't enjoy the game when someone else is playing it for you. One of the issues is that advanced is really quite easy, and the game really could use a difficulty between elite and advanced, and OP notes that too.
    Though, would the big DPSers use it? There is nothing stopping them from hopping out of elite and into normal right now if they feel like being a jerk.

• lordconn#9249 lordconn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    In my first comment, I focused on PvP, because that's where I usually see a lot of high DPS players. When it comes to battlezones and TFOs, I've had instances where I needed to accomplish a specific task (usually to satisfy and endeavor) and had trouble doing so because the high DPS players would obliterate every target in sight and end the event before I had a chance to get my bearings. Fortunately, one pattern I have noticed is immediately following a round or two of mayhem, the zone/que tends to "thin out". This week, for example, I've had Borg TFOs that lasted seconds and others that lasted a couple of minutes. On the other hand, I was involved in some battlezone content where none of the other players seemed to know how to (or had any interest in) advancing the event, and simply flew around or ran around firing weapons indiscriminately. But I digress. To summarize, sometimes, a little patience will result in the environment you want. But you may have to sift through some chaff to get to the grain.
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    So, this is basically a shaming of people who invested time/effort into their builds ? If you are having trouble keeping up with normal TFOs, why not ask for advice with your build instead of asking for those with that knowledge to withdraw from the parts of the game you play. No one is saying everyone needs to invest real money into the ultra-meta stuff but if you are joining normal TFOs and not able to keep up, you might want to invest some effort in making a build that's more viable.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I admit I always kinda freak out when I see a Vaadwaur Juggernaut in an Infected run, and I tend to average around 20k DPS or so on my main's primary ship. Have spiked into 30k at times.

I have to agree with fox. At times having a high DPS build in some content does tend to take away from other players. And it can be VERY easy to accidentially AFK someone with that sheer amount of damage output in a short TFO.

On the other hand... pushing for high DPS isn't wrong. If they enjoy it, they enjoy it. But don't do it at the expense of others in a run. If you nuke everything you look at... maybe redirect so that the rest of the group can actually do something other than make the queue pop.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I know a lot of people run Randoms for the bonus Marks and Dil, I do it, too, and I usually do it on Advanced because I can handle all of the Advanced queues and the reward is better.

I wonder if more of these people would queue for a Random Elite difficulty if such a thing happened. That might spread things out. I know most of my characters couldn't do Random Elite, but 1 could, I'd try it. It might help siphon those players into a different bracket. I think many would appreciate the extra challenge of playing at their level, and many would probably enjoy feeling like they're not dragging the whole group with them.

Side note, you made your formatting worse by just adding space where you think the end of the text box is. Since that's not universal based on text size and resolution, to me it looks like you cut off sentences weirdly. Try putting the space at the end of sentences so that loose paragraphs appear instead. Mine are not strictly grammatical, but they separate into general ideas.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
    tm706 wrote: »
    So, this is basically a shaming of people who invested time/effort into their builds ? If you are having trouble keeping up with normal TFOs, why not ask for advice with your build instead of asking for those with that knowledge to withdraw from the parts of the game you play. No one is saying everyone needs to invest real money into the ultra-meta stuff but if you are joining normal TFOs and not able to keep up, you might want to invest some effort in making a build that's more viable.

There is a finite amount of HP to beat up in most queues, especially something like ISA. If someone who does 1000000 DPS enters that queue, the other 4 players are going to have to scramble to do any damage whatsoever. It has nothing to do with them not being good enough, but because they don't perform at ELITE level when an elite level player slums in advanced, they suffer.

It is no different than some pro basketball player joining your neighborhood game and dunks left and right on the other team. Ignoring what the other team feels, you on his team now feel pretty useless because he can run away with the ball and score every time, you don't get to make any plays yourself, you don't get to score, you just watch because he's so much better than amateurs that he can get the ball and score with it easily, every time. There's no struggle, no challenge, no actual game for you.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    @johnl75 there are a variety of simple things you can do to move around a map faster, activate your space boff abilities easier so you can focus on your piloting, and to increase the effectiveness of your build.

All of this is possible without spending a dime.

You should consider starting a thread in the Academy or Shipyard section of this forum.
    Fox nailed it on the head again.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. Perhaps on an emotional level.
    edited January 2021
    A few simple steps to improvement for the OP and others so that you can be right beside "that other player" no matter what -
    • Get an Emergency Conn Hologram and use emergency power to engines to reset evasive maneuvers.
    • Do the mission to unlock Deuterium Surplus and slot it.
    • Use a simple single key tray execute keybind so that you can focus on your piloting. I like the C key as it's close to the spacebar. Don't be stubborn like I was and waste time clicking the same keys over and over :neutral:
    • Using an energy weapon build? Try visiting the B'Tran Cluster to get three free Technicians and give an A2B build a try for it's awesome cool downs and power levels. Drag the 2 copies of Auxiliary to Battery to the far right of the tray you created above. Also - get rid of that second torpedo... or maybe get rid of both torpedos.
    • Save everything above to one of your free loadouts. Save whatever canon build you have to your other free loadout to use with missions.
    Congrats! With a few simple changes that free ship you got at level 50 or 61 is now doing several times better in advanced TFO's but still retains your unique canon setup the rest of the time :smile:
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Ok, time for me to get trashed :lol:

As a ‘high DPS’ player (though far from the elite) I know what I would like to see happen..

I would like to see Advanced actually made Advanced. Instead of creating a new tier of difficulty between Advanced and Elite, make Advanced hard enough to push under geared and unprepared characters down to ‘normal’ level where they are more comfortable.

Then, increase the rewards for Normal so that these players can advance and get what they need without having to do Advanced content. Advanced should obviously reward higher, but Normal should offer enough of a reward that players trying to progress reputations and buy rep gear can get the normal and elite marks they need.

Right now, Normal rewards are pathetic and everyone in the game queues for Advanced. High DPS players, just like low DPS players simply have nowhere else to go. You can queue for Elites, but most of them never pop and lower DPS players have the same issue with Normal.

It’s not the DPS players fault that the game funnels everyone into the same content. It’s also not the low DPS players fault that they are also funneled into the same content.

Now for the unpopular part.. the way the game is, you’re going to be in queues with high performing players. As much as you don’t want to hear it, the way to contribute more in these situations is to simply improve your build and game play. This is not a snarky comment, I am not saying ‘you suck,’ I am giving you the best path in the current state of the game. The desire to improve performance gives you a goal, it gives you direction and something to do.. if you stop looking at it as an obstacle and stop thinking of yourself as a victim you’ll find that having a goal and direction actually gives you something to do end game and makes the game more fun.

One thing that won’t fix it? Text walls blaming everyone else because they don’t play like you play. A high DPS player has as much right to enjoy their play style as you do. Them being funneled into the same content as you is not their fault. In short.. suck it up and learn to deal with it. That or queue up for normals and wait for them to pop. Don’t expect Cryptic to come to the rescue.. fixing queues is probably something they consider to be ‘too hard.’

You don’t have to be Elite to contribute in queues, even with high end players. If you ever seek advice on how to improve what you’re doing, there is plenty of help to be found, all one has to do is simply ask.

Best of luck to you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I ain't gonna bash you sea. You stated your case rather well. And I kinda have to agree with you. Normal is not rewarding enough, Advanced is just about the standard, and Elite is pretty barren.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    no reason to delta rising the advanced queues due to a small and occasional annoyance.

maybe we could get a couple more elite missions for these remarkable elite players?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    no reason to delta rising the advanced queues due to a small and occasional annoyance.

Would you object if it was done in conjunction to a buff in rewards for Normal Queues? So that you no longer were forced to play advanced?

Just curious.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    This is something I've been thinking about recently, too. It seems very common to end up with a very OP player, or two in a random PvE Advanced queue, and while impressive to see everything melt in the blink of an eye, it isn't particularly fun or interesting to be in that team.

As a ‘high DPS’ player (though far from the elite) I know what I would like to see happen..

I would like to see Advanced actually made Advanced. Instead of creating a new tier of difficulty between Advanced and Elite, make Advanced hard enough to push under geared and unprepared characters down to ‘normal’ level where they are more comfortable.

Then, increase the rewards for Normal so that these players can advance and get what they need without having to do Advanced content. Advanced should obviously reward higher, but Normal should offer enough of a reward that players trying to progress reputations and buy rep gear can get the normal and elite marks they need.

Right now, Normal rewards are pathetic and everyone in the game queues for Advanced. High DPS players, just like low DPS players simply have nowhere else to go. You can queue for Elites, but most of them never pop and lower DPS players have the same issue with Normal.

It’s not the DPS players fault that the game funnels everyone into the same content. It’s also not the low DPS players fault that they are also funneled into the same content.

Now for the unpopular part.. the way the game is, you’re going to be in queues with high performing players. As much as you don’t want to hear it, the way to contribute more in these situations is to simply improve your build and game play. This is not a snarky comment, I am not saying ‘you suck,’ I am giving you the best path in the current state of the game. The desire to improve performance gives you a goal, it gives you direction and something to do.. if you stop looking at it as an obstacle and stop thinking of yourself as a victim you’ll find that having a goal and direction actually gives you something to do end game and makes the game more fun.

One thing that won’t fix it? Text walls blaming everyone else because they don’t play like you play. A high DPS player has as much right to enjoy their play style as you do. Them being funneled into the same content as you is not their fault. In short.. suck it up and learn to deal with it. That or queue up for normals and wait for them to pop. Don’t expect Cryptic to come to the rescue.. fixing queues is probably something they consider to be ‘too hard.’

You don’t have to be Elite to contribute in queues, even with high end players. If you ever seek advice on how to improve what you’re doing, there is plenty of help to be found, all one has to do is simply ask.

Best of luck to you.

It's not just about Normal having bad rewards relative to Advanced, for me, though that is part of it. It's about Normal being too easy, and advanced being just about right. Advanced--based on the current difficulty levels--seems like where a player like me should be. It isn't something trivial that I can faceroll through, like Normal is, and can still be at least somewhat challenging without being way out of my depth.

I'm not comfortable in Normal, I'm asleep in Normal. It's not stimulating. And bumping up the rewards a bit isn't going to remedy that. Your solution would serve the elite players, and perhaps the beginner level players by giving them better rewards in Normal difficulties, but would leave more mid-tier players like me (for lack of a better description) SOL. Yes, I want rewards, but I also want to be engaged, and Normal isn't engaging.

And frankly, the incentive to prioritize improvement and optimization is null and void when so many queues tend to have at least one player who can trivialize the content, which is another aspect of this problem. Hell, often times everything melts so fast you can scarcely even determine what areas you might need to improve--you can't get a proper read on your own power level.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User

There is a finite amount of HP to beat up in most queues, especially something like ISA. If someone who does 1000000 DPS enters that queue, the other 4 players are going to have to scramble to do any damage whatsoever. It has nothing to do with them not being good enough, but because they don't perform at ELITE level when an elite level player slums in advanced, they suffer.

It is no different than some pro basketball player joining your neighborhood game and dunks left and right on the other team. Ignoring what the other team feels, you on his team now feel pretty useless because he can run away with the ball and score every time, you don't get to make any plays yourself, you don't get to score, you just watch because he's so much better than amateurs that he can get the ball and score with it easily, every time. There's no struggle, no challenge, no actual game for you.

I hear they all have gold press latinum space bars they use that makes them elite.
  • altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    1) fix your format.

2) oh look, another somebody does better than me is badwrongfun post.

It'll keep happening as long as Cryptic keeps making it easier to level up. A complete newbie can now sign up and level to 65, in under a week and buy their way through the reputations. This is a guaranteed way to create entitled whining as we see here. Bring back the level 50 "wall", I say.
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2021

maybe we could get a couple more elite missions for these remarkable elite players?

I think that's a very FAIR and reasonable ask, still I avoid Elite missions, as do 90% or more of the player base; but if there were a few more Elite's, perhaps the whales spend more time in them... ...but not necessarily true either.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    deleroux wrote: »
    This is something I've been thinking about recently, too. It seems very common to end up with a very OP player, or two in a random PvE Advanced queue, and while impressive to see everything melt in the blink of an eye, it isn't particularly fun or interesting to be in that team.

Best of luck to you.

It's not just about Normal having bad rewards relative to Advanced, for me, though that is part of it. It's about Normal being too easy, and advanced being just about right. Advanced--based on the current difficulty levels--seems like where a player like me should be. It isn't something trivial that I can faceroll through, like Normal is, and can still be at least somewhat challenging without being way out of my depth.

I'm not comfortable in Normal, I'm asleep in Normal. It's not stimulating. And bumping up the rewards a bit isn't going to remedy that. Your solution would serve the elite players, and perhaps the beginner level players by giving them better rewards in Normal difficulties, but would leave more mid-tier players like me (for lack of a better description) SOL. Yes, I want rewards, but I also want to be engaged, and Normal isn't engaging.

And frankly, the incentive to prioritize improvement and optimization is null and void when so many queues tend to have at least one player who can trivialize the content, which is another aspect of this problem. Hell, often times everything melts so fast you can scarcely even determine what areas you might need to improve--you can't get a proper read on your own power level.

I agree, this is the issue. Normal is too easy, advanced is about right for a lot of players, but they are in no way ready for elite. These are the players that lose enjoyment from having an elite level player vaporize everything, because they aren't ready to move up (and who wants to PUG elites?) and they have no business moving down.

This is about where I am, though I find advanced fairly easy in most ships, it is not remotely appropriate for me to do normal. The last few characters I've leveled never even set foot in a normal queue. But if I load into ISA. see a Vaud Jugg warp in, I expect that by the time I realize the front cubes are dead, the left side will be too far gone to do anything. Not all my ships have the speed or device slots to manage. That aside...
    protoneous wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. Perhaps on an emotional level.

You're 100% right. It is emotional, its about having fun. I don't begrudge a mega DPSer for doing well, or having better gear than me, but I play the game for a fun, satisfying experience. One of the reasons I like advanced is because I am at the level where any ship I take in can handle it, so I can play with more nonstandard builds that are well outside the meta. I can't have fun when a Mega DPSer shows up and kills everything for me, and that seems to be the boat the OP is in too.
    coldnapalm wrote: »

You know what I would do if a pro sports player showed up locally to play with us? I would use that chance to LEARN EVERYTHING I CAN. Win or lose doesn't matter...I would take that chance to get better PERSONALLY. Even if I never reach their level. The struggle, challenge and game is to GET BETTER.

That's a great attitude to have, but tell me what anyone can learn from an ISA that is < 1 minute total time. When I get those, I'm too busy scrambling to even figure out who is doing what, especially when I do know that part of that success is from someone having a ship and traits I will never own. Again, this isn't an issue of someone struggling with Advanced or normal content.

To go back to the analogy, if you don't have the height, youth, or ability to focus your life on basketball, there is a limit to what you can do, and that will always be lower than the person who has all that. Still the analogy breaks down because I can't see what equipment that person has, their traits, their skills, their actual key presses and the order and timing of their BOFF and other powers.
This discussion has been closed.