test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A kick feature for TFO's

145679

Comments

  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    True but that assumes you have a sufficient number of friends who are online at the same time. And possibly that you're willing to forgo the random rewards. (As an essential worker whose employer has forced me onto a flexible work schedule, I generally don't have a lot of friends online when I am.)

    You still have the options to do without, make more friends in-game or to accept the consequences of your decision to team with random people.

    Post edited by valoreah on
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I only rarely notice a player just sitting there in a queue doing nothing, so it does not really bother me all that much. However these thankfully infrequent calls by some to implement a kick feature into the game perturbs me, as that function is often abused by anal retentive trolls when available in other games!

    I do not support this request at all!

    One thing that I do occasionally encounter in STO is when upon loading into a queue, I suddenly get bounced out of the queue as it is loading or arrive within one only to immediately be frozen in place for up to a minute or longer because of internet issues. I would like the op to inform me how any of that is my fault as a player?

    Should I then be kicked too?
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    It's really hard to "make more friends" when one week the time I can play on Tuesday is at 8 AM and the next week it's at 9 PM. (My employer put me on a flexible work schedule where my start time can be anywhere between 3:45 AM and 2 PM, and I don't know until the day before.... and... I don't even have the same days of the week off anymore that I had for six years until July (when we had static schedules) ).... I'm essentially forced into random or not playing TFOs at all because every single time I log in I would be starting from scratch.

    Unless you have a list of magically on-call friends who will ALWAYS be on when I am, shut up.

    Heck, I'm a co-fleet leader, and my co-leader and I haven't been online at the same time since before Thanksgiving.

    What exactly is preventing you from engaging other people whom you see are not AFK when you are able to be online? You may wind up making friends who are available at various times. Again, you also have the option to do without or accept the consequences of your decision to team with random people in a PUG.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,455 Arc User
    Not happening, forget about it as this will cause more issues within the community. Also Cryptic relies on TFO's - the 30min leaver or afk penalty is punishment enough.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Um... nothing, except for the fact that it does me no good in having a base of available friends to play with because I'm not reliably going to be online in the same timeslot again. So every day I would be starting from scratch.

    Clear enough for you, you entitled wannabe hero?

    Insulting me is not going to solve any of your problems for you. As I suggested, you can chat with other people who are not AFK regardless of what day or time you play. You may wind up finding many like minded people whom you can team with on days when your schedule is different.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    And once again you are completely missing the point.

    You're essentially saying that you believe I should spend every single waking moment making friends, gambling that they will ever be useful to me, because the game is broken and you don't think it should be fixed because there's a workaround that works for people with static schedules.

    Well no, that is a gross exaggeration and not at all what I suggested.

    When you enter a random TFO, what stops you for typing "hello everyone!" in the team chat? Once you finished the TFO, you cannot say "thanks everyone" and ask if anyone is interested in teaming up together for more? Sorry, but none of that seems terribly difficult or time consuming to do. Join some of the various user created chat channels out there for teaming up. Socializing with fellow players who are online when you are works regardless of schedule. There are any number of ways to go about doing this.

    Not trying to be critical, but it seems to me you are exactly what @darkbladejk was referring to - people who just want to complain and do not want to do anything to change.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    Yeah but if the only time I can be online on a particular day is from 8-9 AM and then I'm at work at those times on that day of the week for the next six weeks, those people will no longer even remember me. ESSENTIALLY I would have to start from scratch every day.

    This is not true. Unless you are the only player online at any given time, you can put forth minimal effort toward building a friends list. After a while, you will have a rather lengthy list of people on at various times of the day whom you can join up with. I have been playing this game since before it launched. People come and go. Maintaining an active friend roster really does not require an inordinate amount of time.
    I do want change. You're trying to thrust all of the responsibility onto the victims.

    You are willingly making the decision to put yourself in the situation by entering a random TFO with random people, knowing full well that there is a chance others will play in a manner you do not like. All I am suggesting is spend some of that effort in getting to know your fellow players who are not AFK and you can eliminate this problem entirely.

    I forgot to mention, as far as "people forgetting you", I think you may be selling your fellow players short. Personally, I have met many interesting people over the years with whom I share common interests. They are out there, you just need to look for them.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,500 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    What exactly is preventing you from engaging other people whom you see are not AFK when you are able to be online? You may wind up making friends who are available at various times.
    As I suggested, you can chat with other people who are not AFK regardless of what day or time you play. You may wind up finding many like minded people whom you can team with on days when your schedule is different.
    When you enter a random TFO, what stops you for typing "hello everyone!" in the team chat? Once you finished the TFO, you cannot say "thanks everyone" and ask if anyone is interested in teaming up together for more? Sorry, but none of that seems terribly difficult or time consuming to do.
    Unless you are the only player online at any given time, you can put forth minimal effort toward building a friends list. After a while, you will have a rather lengthy list of people on at various times of the day whom you can join up with.
    I have been playing this game since before it launched. People come and go. Maintaining an active friend roster really does not require an inordinate amount of time.
    The terms "may" "seems" "minimal" "only player online at any given time" and "not inordinate" are all great for friends list theory crafting. It can be tough to debate a theory as the originator can't be mistaken. It's all hypothetical.
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,172 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > And you are so deluded that you think you actually understand ANYTHING that is being discussed in this thread beyond your punish the badwrongfun. You really should take your advice...what you say in this thread really is moot. We don't like your ideas...at all. We have solutions that we do like being discussed and refined. So you are now moot...so move along.

    Awww. Your anger spasms give me tingles.

    I did you a favor and reread the thread. No where...mind you...no where was there anything remotely akin to your misunderstood postings.

    You should also take the time and do the same. It might offer some insight, as long as you can understand it.

    Again...I thank you for the laughs. Your limited focal ability and allowing your anger to get the best of you is something to behold.

    Edit: I'll do one better for you. Quote the posts you think are against players, me wanting to punish people, and whatever else you put in caps and we can discuss.

    Oh look, the little monkey think he is clever. You are right, I am angry. The ONLY that makes me angry is stupidity and you have shown that in spades. Not ignorance, which can be fixed...but utter stupidity. What part of I am done with you did you STILL not understand again? I'm done having a discussion with you, I will berate you and mock you further if that gets your tingle on...but man that is I gotta say one weird fetish. Or since you admit everything is moot, you can just walk away...but I somehow doubt you would with your weird fetish going on there.

    depending on your view of evolution, you are not even close. i mean, ape like would be more in line of one scientific theory. but ok.

    at least you have acknowledged you do get angry. its a first step and i am happy you have seen this.

    if you were, as you say now, and in previous posts, done with me, then why, by chance do you continue to offer a reply?

    berate...at least you have something correct, as far a dictionary defines as such. point there. good job.

    fetish is rather difficult word to use. in the true sense, no, its not a fetish. but if that helps you define my actions, then i can accept your use, although not on par with the true definition.

    i gave you a branch to which you could present your case, and make statements to which help your position, but you chose to reply, yet again, in a less than adult manner and chose the path of anger vs discussion. adults can discuss, and come to terms, kids get angry and lash out. the latter seems to be more to your liking.

    all this aside, i am still willing to defend my points, if you would so desire to collect your adultness and present your side of the case. as of yet, all you have done is toss a fit.

    red pill or blue pill...which will you choose:
    a choice between revealing an unpleasant or otherwise life-changing truth, represented by the red pill, and remaining in blissful ignorance, represented by the blue pill.

    Oh look, the monkey things pop culture reference makes it smart. Pop culture is what the stupid people use to make themselves look smart because all the other stupid people gets it. And you didn't even use the reference correctly even. Or do you not understand that personal experiences and opinions are not truths?

    And WHAT OLIVE BRANCH? That would have been you going back to read what was posted something like 10 times in this thread and trying to figure it out. Not demand that I bother to posts things YET AGAIN so you can not bother to read it like the last 10 times. Demanding something I told you that I was not going to do is not an olive branch...in fact that is pretty much the opposite of one...but considering you can't even use pop culture references correctly, usage of anything higher was doomed to failure.

    So, yeah get your freak on there buddy boy...because you just posted more STUPID.

    good morning my friend...well, lets get to it, shall we.

    you cant even calm down and have a convo. the olive branch was to see if you could actually be an adult and choose to make references and quote things where you claim i have said/done wanting to punish people for playing, of which i did not. you are therefore asked to present the evidence to the charges you leveled against me. there may be a miscomprehension from the words and interpretation, so therefore i extended it so you and i could come to the table and discuss them, but i never demanded it, i asked you to provide it. demand is a strong word. no wonder you get sideways real fast in threads. you twist words to create more tension and anger.

    i, as an adult, re-read the the thread to find what you are so upset about, and its not there. all i saw was you getting sideways with people. a few in fact. all you continued to do was kick and scream like a kid having a tantrum.

    you have proven you cant be rational nor an adult and partake in the convo. i think you enjoy confrontation more than you do conversation. its ok, we all have something we like to do.

    oh, and thanks for returning to a thread you said you were done with, yet again. :)

    meh

  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,172 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    westmetals wrote: »
    And once again you are completely missing the point.

    You're essentially saying that you believe I should spend every single waking moment making friends, gambling that they will ever be useful to me, because the game is broken and you don't think it should be fixed because there's a workaround that works for people with static schedules.

    Well no, that is a gross exaggeration and not at all what I suggested.

    When you enter a random TFO, what stops you for typing "hello everyone!" in the team chat? Once you finished the TFO, you cannot say "thanks everyone" and ask if anyone is interested in teaming up together for more? Sorry, but none of that seems terribly difficult or time consuming to do. Join some of the various user created chat channels out there for teaming up. Socializing with fellow players who are online when you are works regardless of schedule. There are any number of ways to go about doing this.

    Not trying to be critical, but it seems to me you are exactly what @darkbladejk was referring to - people who just want to complain and do not want to do anything to change.

    SERIOUSLY?!? What the hell is wrong with people in this thread and NOT READING. West has specifically said what he wanted done. An idea that most of us actually LIKE mind you. Mind you, most of us were not doing what Dark claimed either. We had ideas that we all thought could work and posted them...repeatedly mind you...but some people in this forum seems utterly unwilling to read words unless it agrees with their stance.

    and those people include you my friend.
    meh

  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    The terms "may" "seems" "minimal" "only player online at any given time" and "not inordinate" are all great for friends list theory crafting. It can be tough to debate a theory as the originator can't be mistaken. It's all hypothetical.

    There is nothing hypothetical about it. Put forth a minimal effort to engage your fellow players who are not AFK. If all the people here complaining in this very thread were to team up, you would never see another AFK player again. The overwhelming majority of players are not AFK during TFOs, which gives you more than ample opportunity to build a list of people whom you can team with.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Okay then, how long do you keep people on your friends list after a single conversation, if you never see them online again? Or remember who they are when they pop up again?

    Because that's what I'm talking about. I've had days recently where the only time I could play was in the morning before working an afternoon shift, then had morning shifts on that day of the week for several weeks.... so anyone I had supposedly met on that one morning wouldn't have seen me again. THAT is what I'm talking about.

    My point is though that building up to the point of always having enough friends to avoid PUGs, at all times of day, seems like a project that would be so cost-prohibitive in terms of time that I would never actually get to play. But since (due to our oh so wonderful pandemic) my employer has forced me onto a flex schedule that I have no control and little foreknowledge of, that's exactly what I would need to fulfill your workaround: a full team available 24 hours a day seven days a week.

    Since the game started, I personally have removed only a handful of people from my friends list. I do not need to be close, intimate friends with another player in order to team up with them. Knowing they are competent and share a similar style of play is more than sufficient for me as it is for them. I have no issue striking up a conversation with others. Socializing is part of MMO play and being part of the community. This is how I connected with the various fleets I belong to and in-game friends I have made.

    Again, what is so "cost-prohibitive" about saying "hello" in team chat and messaging people whom you see are not AFK? What is cost-prohibitive about advertising for a team? What is cost-prohibitive to spending some time socializing to build up a stable of friends who play the way you do? Sure, some will just ignore you, but others will not. Quite clearly, there are a great number of players who are not AFK, so there are plenty of potential regular teammates out there. Unless you are suggesting that every PUG you run every other player is AFK?


    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    SERIOUSLY?!? What the hell is wrong with people in this thread and NOT READING. West has specifically said what he wanted done. An idea that most of us actually LIKE mind you. Mind you, most of us were not doing what Dark claimed either. We had ideas that we all thought could work and posted them...repeatedly mind you...but some people in this forum seems utterly unwilling to read words unless it agrees with their stance.

    You might want to apply your own argument to yourself as you are doing the very thing you are attempting to berate me for.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I guess I cannot expect you to understand what I have essentially already said several times. What I feel would be "cost-prohibitive" is the sheer quanitity of players I would have to be friends with, in order to have a sufficient number to always be able to form a complete team, at any time of day, which would be necessary because of the fact that I do not have control of my schedule.

    I have heard and understood you just fine. It seems to me you do not want to put forth any effort whatsoever to improve your situation yourself. Having a large list of people to team with is not a bad thing at all.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,172 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    meh

  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,125 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,172 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    meh

  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,500 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    The terms "may" "seems" "minimal" "only player online at any given time" and "not inordinate" are all great for friends list theory crafting. It can be tough to debate a theory as the originator can't be mistaken. It's all hypothetical.

    There is nothing hypothetical about it. Put forth a minimal effort to engage your fellow players who are not AFK. If all the people here complaining in this very thread were to team up, you would never see another AFK player again. The overwhelming majority of players are not AFK during TFOs, which gives you more than ample opportunity to build a list of people whom you can team with.
    In theory everything you say could work, or not.

    But if it was just that easy, why were random TFO's were introduced in the first place? Wasn't it was something related to teaming?
    valoreah wrote: »
    There are, however, plenty of other people online when you are, regardless of time of day so you have a large pool of prospective teammates to choose from. That is fact.
    Not to get off topic but it's not a fact. Numbers for the game aren't released. It's just your opinion. You reminded me of this the last time we discussed numbers.
This discussion has been closed.